Ichiban Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar – Minneapolis
1333 Nicollet Ave
Minneapolis, MN 55403Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Ichiban Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar – Minneapolis
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ichiban.ca/
- Phone: 6123390540x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm. Reservations are for teppanyaki dining only.
Our regular menu is not available for NEW YEARS EVE dinner. Ichiban will be offering a fantastic set menu dinner cooked teppanyaki style for NEW YEARS EVE. The dinner includes filet mignon, lobster and teriyaki chicken with a shrimp appetizer, clear chicken broth vegetable soup, and a cucumber salad with kani-kama. Fried rice is included. White chocolate raspberry truffle ice cream will be served for dessert. All this for only $60 + tax + 18% gratuity per person. We hope to see you for VALENTINES!
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Steakhouse, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Tatsuki Yamamoto
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Sushi platter are available on request.
- Private Party Facilities: Ichiban's upstairs dining room can be reserved for groups of 100 or less. Please call for information.
- Private Party Contact: Jim Reynolds 612-339-0540x
- Entertainment: Ichiban is the Best Tasting Show in Town because the chef prepares the meal right at your table!
- Special Events: Our regular menu is not available for Valentine's Evening. That night we offer a set menu dinner cooked teppanyaki style for $60 ++ tax ++ 18% gratuity. The dinner features our clear chicken broth vegetable soup, cucumber salad with crabmeat, shrimp appetizer, steamed or fried rice, and steamed vegetables. The entree is a combination of filet mignon, lobster and teriyaki chicken. For dessert we will be serving white chocolate raspberry truffle ice cream. A vegetarian dinner is available for $40. Childrens' dinners are $30. This is a night you won't want to miss!
- Cross Street: Grant (Between 13th & 14th)
- Public Transit: The light rail stops between 4th and 5th on Nicollet. We are at 1333 Nicollet.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: We do not offer validated parking. There is a public ramp for the Hyatt Hotel directly across the street from our entrance and a ramp available to the public for the Millenium Hotel next door to our restaurant. Both ramps charge $7 for the evening after 4pm.
A word from Ichiban Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar – Minneapolis
Ichiban features the 5000 year old method of Japanese cooking where chefs skillfully prepare the dinner at your table. "Iron cooking" or Teppanyaki is the heart of our cuisine. Our Teppanyaki chefs are wizards of the knife, each with their own style and showmanship. Ichiban also features an all you can eat for one hour sushi bar every night of the week. A full bar is available with beer, wine, liquor and sake. The main floor is handicap accessible, so please request if needed. Happy hour specials are available Monday thru Friday in the bar. Enjoy specials on beer, wine, sake and several appetizers and types of sushi in a quiet atmosphere. We also have Early Bird specials, including a discount on the sushi bar every day of the week and discounts on Teppanyaki meals Sunday through Friday. Early Bird is from 4:30 to 6:00pm.Continued
Reservations are only for teppanyaki and are not available in the sushi bar.
Reservations are only for teppanyaki and are not available in the sushi bar.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Ichiban Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar – Minneapolis - Best Restaurants in Downtown / North Loop ›
Ichiban Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar – Minneapolis reviews from OpenTable diners
81 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (57)good for groups (57)kid-friendly (15)fit for foodies (15)neighborhood gem (14)romantic (7)hot spot (5)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (2)great for lunch (2)notable wine list (2)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great food. Took awhileOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/26/2014Of course I love coming to Ichiban. Great ambiance, great experince and awesome food. This time we were almost there 2 hours. Most of the time waiting for our server or chef. It was 8:00 at night so it wasn't super busy. That was disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun!AlbarinoWineGreatVIPDined on 10/25/2014We always enjoy going to Ichiban. The food is great and it is a fun atmosphere!Special Features:
- Only one issuelolo2VIPDined on 10/25/2014Our experience was wonderful here. The birthday celebrant was surprised with a special sundae with a candle. It was easy to acquire a take-home bag, which was great because it is a lot of food for the price. Our only caution is that you may be seated upstairs - many stairs - if this is an issue for you, you might mention it at reservation time. However, if you can manage the treck up, that area is quieter and comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Was our first time there and had a great evening! Lots of good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Below AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014The food quality/taste was far below average. Overpriced for the quality you receive. Lund's makes fresher and more flavorful sushi rolls. The chicken liver appetizer that is included with the meal was terrible.Special Features:
- Good timesBeazleyDined on 10/19/2014A great place to go. Food and services were top notch. Friendly staff. Great atmosphere. ..a place to talk and play. Family will do wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining with a showTheRicsterDined on 10/12/2014Enjoyed a great dinner at Ichiban. The service was great, reservation was on time, six of us were seated with another couple which is typical. The cook did a great job with the knives, and food show. The food was cooked to order and was very tasty.Special Features:
- Birthday dinner - group of 10NRose78Dined on 10/3/2014We were seated on the main level which felt uncomfortable with a group of 10. Loud. Cooks personality so-so, usually fun and energetic staff.
- My FAVE place to get together!!Good2goDined on 9/27/2014The chef was so exciting and made my dinner the best yet!! I always make dinner dates and special occasions for friends and family at the best Japanese Steakhouse in the Twin Cities!! A must for excellent food, service, & best of all entertainment!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, entertaining and enjoyableJulieWIDined on 9/27/2014We have ate at Ichibahns three different times...and it is better each time. The food and drinks are so yummy and great and the cooks are amazing and fun. We will definitely be back again! 😊Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The experienceBirthdayDined on 9/27/2014It was my Birthday and I did oreder menu wuth steak,chicken abd lobsters,never seen lobsters we h andad only chicken and pieces steaks.Chef who for us,wasnt friendly and almost didn't acknowledge us,every time he would skip our party and put meal for another people sitting on our table. Lady who served us with water and Beveridge wasnt absolutely not service oriental...I had to wait for second glass if wine when I was almost done with my meal.Now about your icecream surprise.It was over freezed.If I new I would refuse of this kind of surprise.Who really stand out for me,your Assistant Manager Ruslan,Very personable and welcoming.He listened my concern and did everything in his power to redeem our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way better experience than a chain.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/25/2014This place never disappoints. Love it. I am not a sushi person, but if I were the floating boats and busy sushi bar sure look like fun. I love the endless food and entertainment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Teppanyaki dinner was averageJimmmDined on 9/22/2014The teppanyaki dinner tasted just as great as most other teppanyaki/hibachi style restaurants I've been to, so I thought the dinner was overpriced for what I got. If I were to go there again, I'd want to try out the sushi bar instead.Special Features:
- New Favorite RestaurantJapaneseFoodLoverDined on 9/19/2014Simply put, no other Japanese restaurant can compare with the food I had at Ichiban. Not even close.Special Features:
- Another fantastic evening.keneboyDined on 9/13/2014I've dined at Ichibans' many times over the past ten years and I have never been disappointed. I chose to surprise my adult daughter with that same dining experience I have come to enjoy. She was very impressed with everything and I again was very pleased. Keep up the excellence.Special Features:
- Flashing Knives and FuncocinarnoparamiDined on 9/12/2014Ichiban is always good. We were seated with two different groups - one of which included13 to 15 year olds. They were too young to enjoy and appreciate the food. At the U-shaped table, conversation with your neighbors is open and interesting. It is a bit loud with clicking knives and flailing food. Service was good and fast. The portions were generous and satisfying. Typically, plan to spend $100 for two people, more if you have drinks or order additional appetizers or sushi. We took food home and had a couple of more meals from the leftovers. Service is friendly and helpful. I would go again, but typically just for a special occasion or wiht a coupon.Special Features:
- Alex and the Traveling TeppanyakiCookieMonsterDined on 9/9/2014Their Moscato was wonderful, their food was so good and Chef Alex our Japanese Irishman from Wisconsin was SO entertaining! LOVED the entire experience!! Will definitely go back and will be requesting to be at a table hosted by Alex!!!Special Features:
- Fun and DeliciousTTReviewDined on 9/6/2014My husband and I just went to Ichiban to celebrate our anniversary. This is such a fun place from the cool drinks to the amazing chefs putting on a show! The service is great and the chef's are amazing. We will definitely return and try some other entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014We had a fun family celebration at Ichiban. The food was good and we had excellent service. We look forward to going again.Special Features:
- Not EmpressedUNEmpressedEmpressDined on 8/27/2014This was my first & last time at Ichibans. I am glad that I tried this place but I will not go there again. It needs major updating- its almost kind of dirty...the chairs were extremely uncomfortable, the water at the table was warm. The Bartender wasn't very friendly, and when I asked about drinks/specials he was very nonchalant, took forever to come to back and see if I had even decided on a drink. The server was great. I could tell she had been there for years. Our chef was good as far as entertaining & friendly. The food was a combination of salty and not seasoned at all- unsure if this was because of the chef or the type of seasoning that was used. Not a fan of their soup or salad.Special Features:
- Less than expected at IchibanOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/24/2014First, I have eaten at many Japanese restaurants. Nick, the chef at our table was by far the best Teppanyaki chef I have ever experienced...which is saying a lot for a young, tattooed, white guy. And that's about all the good I have to say about Ichiban. We arrived at 6:45pm for a 7:00pm dinner reservation. We were told we couldn't be seated until 7:00pm. We were finally seated at 7:35pm. Our chef, Nick, didn't come to the table until 8:00pm. I ordered the Filet Mignon and Scallop combination. The meat was a piece of steak...but it was not Filet Mignon. It was tough and it had a lot of grizzle.
- EntertainingctryjbDined on 8/23/2014Plenty of food and entertaining for everybody of all ages.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/13/2014While our OUS guests enjoyed the dinner very much, the experience fell well below my expectations. I was disappointed at the lack of enthusiasm and showmanship by the chefs.
- way better than benihanajojoDined on 8/8/2014Food was delicious theveuce is to die for I live this place way Better than benihana. Benihana has gon too commericial. Ichibans is authentic Hibachi cusineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/5/2014We were in town for a convention and the restaurant was recommended by a local. The food and service were great. Our group had a variety of things from the menu and there were no disappointments. The lobster and filet melted in my mouth! The chef and servers were prompt and fun.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014If you want the best in Japanese Cuisine I highly recommend Ichiban Japanese steakhouse and sushi bar, the teppanyaki and sushi bar are both delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KelliDined on 8/1/2014We had a great cook and very fun time, our server was great with the kids and explained everything ver wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeFirsttimerDined on 7/28/2014It was my first time and I thought the food and service were awesome. It was a Monday night and the restaurant was quiet.Special Features:
- Family OccasionBrianDined on 7/26/2014Dined with three of my granddaughters over from England. They were very impressed, me too. Food was excellent and the chef very entertaining. Will certainly go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time and food!FoodMama612Dined on 7/25/2014My husband and I had a wonderful time. We liked the ambiance of the restaurant and the attentive staff. Our chef was hilarious! Ichiban's is great for couples or groups!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as AlwaysndfoodieDined on 7/23/2014This was our 5th visit and we always enjoy the experience. We love the Silverlight Steak Surf and Turf meal. The Lobster and Steak are cooked to perfection and the flavors are spot on. It is always fun to get to know different chefs, new people, and overall have the dining experience we desire. This last trip we had a table with 3 families and each had a birthday so it was a really great show and fun celebration for all. The chef made a heart out of the vegetables and spelled out Happy Birthday in salt in the middle - we all got to take pictures of it and the little girl it was originally done for was tickled pink. This is always a great time and we make sure we eat here every time we come to Minneapolis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as it used to beThomasDined on 7/13/2014Our Japanese cook, (Mike from Woodbury) should not pretend to be Japanese. It was almost insulting. The food was good, but definitely not as good as it used to be.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/7/2014Food was very average. Quality of sushi was sub par. Better sushi in the wilds of Montana by far.Special Features:
- Not the samecfeik2457Dined on 7/5/2014We love coming to Icheban for special occasions. Usually we can count on great food and a fun evening but our experience this time was just not the same. Our vegetables weren't cooked through, and most of the other items weren't very flavorful. Fortunately our server was entertaining as we're our table mates.Special Features:
- Preparer wasn't very energeticLynnwood85Dined on 7/3/2014I have been here several times and was always a good time. Our preparer wasn't very energetic and didn't do many trucks just cooked which is the fun part of going. Food was good. There was a very obnoxious child at the table that ruined this experience. Me being a parent I understand some disruption but this was beyond annoying. Paying over 100 dollars for two people I expected better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 795 reviews are from the Ichiban Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar – Minneapolis reviews archive.
- Plenty of FoodHappycustomerDined on 6/28/2014We received good portion sizes and enjoyed our experience. We had a newer chef and he was not as entertaining as some we have had in the past or others that were around us, but he still put on a good show and had fun with us. Always a good spot!Special Features:
- Food was less than desirable.Foodie0810Dined on 6/28/2014The restaurant was lovely, the service was great, but the food was not good at all. My family enjoys these types of restaurants where the chef cooks in front of you. This restaurant's food, was by far the worst we have had. The shrimp was rubbery, the lobster wasn't much better, and the filet didn't seem to taste like a filet. We were very, very disappointed.
- Yummyr2boyzDined on 6/26/2014Based on a Yelp Review, I took my daughter's volleyball team to Ichiban's for a celebratory dinner. Much to my surprise, it was a very delicious meal, while at the same time very entertaining. We are from California, and there are many teppanyaki's - and I have to admit, by far, Ichiban's food was much better! The girls all admittedly were in awe of the food and never held back with their compliments. The shrimp appetizer was their favorite, as well as the fried rice. Since I was traveling with a lot of cash, I paid with Visa gift cards - a big pain. The manager was super nice and accommodating, when he could have easily turned them down, and asked for another form of payment. Thank you, Ichiban for a scrumptious meal!Special Features:
- Special Occasion SpotAvgJoeDined on 6/21/2014Went for a special occasion and Ichiban delivered! Great food and fun atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with a ShowCarinaDined on 6/21/2014I had never been to a Japanese steakhouse before, but sort of knew what to expect. The food was good, and the process was entertaining. It was a little strange to interact with restaurant staff nearly the entire meal, but it was a fun change of pace. In today's dining climate where many diners seek out local food and independent restaurants, it seems there is a shrinking demand for such a gimmicky--though delicious--experience.Special Features: