Ichi Sushi & Ni Bar
3282 Mission Street
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Ichi Sushi & Ni Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ichisushi.com/
- Phone: 4155254750
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: M-Th 5:30pm-10:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 5:30pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Counter Seating, Gluten-free Menu
A word from Ichi Sushi & Ni Bar
At Ichi Sushi & Ni Bar, sustainability is the focus, and menus change seasonally. ICHI offers Omakase service at the bar and tables. ICHI keeps an extensive chilled sake list and serves regional beer, wine, and Asahi and Sapporo on tap. Since opening, ICHI Sushi was named one of American’s Top Restaurants in the Zagat 2013 guide and Zagat San Francisco Bay Area Guide 2013’s Top 20 Restaurants, has won Best of the Bay in five outlets, and is included in the 2013 San Francisco Louis Vuitton City Guide.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Ichi Sushi & Ni Bar - Best Restaurants in Mission ›
Ichi Sushi & Ni Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (50)neighborhood gem (36)hot spot (33)special occasion (26)vibrant bar scene (8)good for groups (7)romantic (6)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (5)notable wine list (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014We came here to try the Omakase. It was pricy but worth trying at least once. I'm just not that into eating varieties of nigiri.Special Features:
- Bad atmosphere overpowers fine foodgilbertDined on 9/1/2014Omakase is good, service is great and the price is fair. HOWEVER - the atmosphere: musicis way too loud, and the staff started cleaning around us while we were still eating - not the way to go. (We reserved more than a couple of days ahead for 9:30. We left at 10:40). Just don't reserve for the 9:30PM spot.Special Features:
- Great SushiThomasDined on 8/29/2014In planning our first visit to San Fran we found this on the SF Chronicle's top 100 list. We live in NY and thought we had great sushi, sashimi, and Nigiri; How wrong we were. Ichi Sushi has fantastic food, an eclectic SF crowd, and a fun atmosphere. We were with our 21 year old son and he enjoyed the restaurant as much as we did. You need to, no must eat there. And for you beer lovers you must have the Ichi beer. It was as good as the food.Special Features:
- One of the Top Spots in SF 4 Sushi!jasontheslackerVIPDined on 8/28/2014Ichi Sushi is an excellent spot. It may be a bit expensive but the old adage applies here, you pay for what you get. Everything is excellent, I especially recommend the clams in beef broth and the albacore tuna belly (any form). Beers are good and they allow for 1/2 pints as well as full ones so you can try multiple w/o being married to any one in particular. The space is very nice as well and improves an otherwise dicey area on Mission. The seating (literally the seats themselves) are cramped and not comfy. And the waitstaff are much nicer than the average sushi bar, however, some are not very knowledgeable about actual sushi/fish/etc. Might take a while until they are seasoned veterans as most look like hipsters, not sushi experts.Special Features:
- Great fish, no pretentionAGoodEaterVIPDined on 8/28/2014Love this place. Fish is clean and accented with just the right dab of yuzu or wasabi or scallion or...that little bit of something that brings out the flavor of each type of fish. Sushi rice and fish always the perfect temperature. Soy sauce is only recommended for certain things. I stick with the sushi and sashimi but also had an amazing carrot salad a few months back, again with interesting flavors that enhanced the carroty-ness. Not as impressed with the few hot dishes on the menu. But the fish is perfect! Live in the north of the city but this is my go-to sushi spot. Place has happy, lively vibe.Special Features:
- Great experience at IchiClearhorseDined on 8/28/2014We were visiting San Fran for a friend's wedding and only had a couple days in the city. We love sushi and a little online exploration revealed there surprisingly weren't too many options for vacation dinner out spots for the fresh fish candy. Ichi popped up as a well regarded option and it was close to where we were staying in the Mission. It was a Thursday night but there were people already starting to line up before they opened the doors at 5:30. Hip place with minimal, cool decor. Our few samples of nigiri, rolls, charred squid salad, and saki were chosen with the help of our excellent server. Everything was really fresh and delicious. Tuna belly to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food - at a priceNeighborSusanDined on 8/26/2014Quite pricey and yet amazing quality. A bit annoying that the servers make you feel like a jerk when you ask for soy sauce, TWICE! That's a miss, but otherwise great. though LOUD!Special Features:
- FRESHrickybDined on 8/16/2014Crazy fresh fish. Great experience sitting at the bar. We just put our faith in our sushi chef and he delivered big. We were in great hands. Awesome dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!Joyrider01VIPDined on 8/16/2014They have really fresh fish with interesting sauces etc. I didn't love their oysters or wings as much as others but I love this place. It's the best. I wish I could go more ofter but it is too hard to get in. I miss the intimacy of the old place and wish they could do both but I am in love with ichi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent sushi, unique experienceNeighborhoodPatronVIPDined on 8/15/2014My husband and I dined omakase style because we had never done this before (sitting on the stools where the chef chooses and prepares each of the diners' dishes, starting with lightest fare). We enjoyed a couple of the starters, but decided we'd rather continue with rolls. We weren't loving the selections so far, which is why we decided to order what we know we like. The chef seemed a little put off when we wanted to order rolls, possibly because we were taking up seats of others who might have wanted to continue omakase? Generally, if you're ordering a la carte, you're supposed to be seated a table. Other than the awkward exchange when ordering rolls, everything was delicious, extremely fresh and prepared simply but full of flavor.Special Features:
- unique sushi with twistOsakahamVIPDined on 8/8/2014if you want to experience sushi and Japanese food in creative way that you never did, this is the place. It is so different yet somehow feels authentic. No soy sauce. No California rolls. Just order chef's special.I would recommend this to a friend.
- For the puristsDonDDined on 8/2/2014Ichi caters to those who are slightly pretentious about their sushi. You slurp miso from a wooden bowl, rest your chop sticks on the appropriate holder, and dip your sushi fish-first into the soy sauce. Ichi specializes in Nigiri, so your bill can easy reach the high $35-40 without you feeling particularly full. That being said, everything is delicious and the staff makes you feel very welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!CaabalDined on 8/1/2014I sat at the sushi bar and got to talk with the guys who were preparing the sushi and see some of the dishes I was not familiar with. Everything was fresh and tasty. I actually had beef as well as sushi. I hadn't planned to but it looked good on the menu and tasted delicious. Cucumber salad is excellent as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful omakase!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/24/2014I took my son for his senior trip to San Francisco. He loves sushi and this was our favorite restaurant during our visit to San Fran. The omakase menu was exceptional and we thoroughly enjoyed the introduction to a variety of flavors and special items. The nigiri prepared with creative accompaniments and was very delicious. Excellent wines by the glass. Thank you for being the highlight of a very memorable trip!Special Features:
- dinahdinahVIPDined on 7/23/2014While the food here was good the service and ambiance were definitely lacking. My seat was one of the most uncomfortable I've ever experienced, the waitperson was verging on rude - among other things, she failed to bring us the complete menu until we had finished eating. The ambiance is stark japanese - probably admired by many but to me, quite cold. Not a place I felt comfortable in or to which I would ever return.Special Features:
- Great 1st time!SherylDined on 7/19/2014I don't know why I took so long to have dinner here! The pork belly was delicious and the fennel cocktail was very tasty! The bartender was very knowledgeable and introduced me to my first taste of Japanese shochu!Special Features:
- Superb!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014Awesome awesome! Food. Awesome awesome! service. Awesome awesome! looking place. This is my new spot!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014Amazing food! Would definitely recommend the tasting menu.Special Features:
- Horrible service ruined itsdfoodieVIPDined on 6/28/2014The sushi was relatively good, but the service was horrible. We tried the chef's choice and had to wait up to 20 minutes between dishes. Our server was also very inattentive. The restaurant was really great on concept but really poor on execution. We expected a lot more considering the prices.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/26/2014We just had dinner at Ichi Sushi. Great food, wonderful, friendly service. All ages happily eating. Helpful, but not condensing staff. Very pleasant ambiance. Highly recommended. Burt LikeSpecial Features:
- Best sushi I have ever had!eliseVIPDined on 6/24/2014We read reviews for Ichi and could not wait to try it out on our trip. It was honestly the best sushi I have ever eaten. If we were to come back to San Fran, the first thing I would book is reservations here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food +++, ambience/service --OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/19/2014Yes, the place is tough to get into, especially on the weekends. Yes, the food is AWESOME. Uni, sake, tako, omakase, all great, and perhaps one of the best I've had in a long time. However, the wait time between plates was way too long. If there's an issue with sending out each sushi plate at the scheduled times, it should be relayed to the customer accordingly. 20 minutes wait is too long. We had a 5:30 reservation on a Saturday night with the service problems; only gets worse as the night progresses. Notwithstanding the service issues, the food is amazing. The uni is one of the best I have had (and yes, I have had fresh uni in Japan). The front of the house needs to catch up before it rates 5 stars.Special Features:
- Delicious sushiAnitaMWDined on 6/18/2014It was our first time, and we thought we'd sample a variety of what they offer by ordering an omikase (not on the menu, but they'll do it if you ask). However, the perfect nigiri were our favorites. Perfectly seasoned, needing no extra soy sauce or wasabi, nice and small so that a single bite was easy, we will return for a meal entirely of nigiri next time. The fish was so fresh, and the flavors were wonderful. We had our dishes paired with a variety of sakes, and we thoroughly enjoyed our experience there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy and poor sushiDissapointedDined on 6/12/2014We made a reservation well before but got sheeted only at the "bar" table. Way too much noise from the waitresses and from the "background" music during the dinner. Sushi quality was poor. Welcome the owners to take some tips from Moto in Utrecht, NL and from Norwegian Sushi restaurant Alex...sad to see this restaurant to be marketed as the best one in the SF...
- Ichi ReviewPhoebeDined on 6/10/2014I enjoyed our meal but felt that the small plates tasted better and were more interesting than the sushi.Special Features:
- The Real DealOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/2/2014I'm going to start in that obnoxious way that some people do, by listing off my sushi credentials (lived in Japan for a couple of years, grew up on Canada's west coast, particularly Vancouver), before launching into a gushing review. This isn't a Japanese restaurant; it is a sushi restaurant. This place is dead serious about raw fish. Sure, order the hot dishes courtesy of the izakaya part of the (happily noisy) room, but if you're not into sushi, Ichi Sushi's brilliance will probably sail right past you. We relied on the omakase menu. Don't bother asking for extra wasabi and soy sauce; the chef has a plan for you. Go with the plan. Asking to self-season is like going into a 5 star French restaurant and asking for the salt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SO GOOD!JaHoVIPDined on 5/30/2014I'm so happy Ichi was as good (even better) that I was expecting! Amazing food, great service!! My only complaint would be there was a really rowdy table who were taking shot after shot of sake (weird) and screaming really loudly. Not really the environment for it, but once they left everything was perfect. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- The following 25 reviews are from the Ichi Sushi & Ni Bar reviews archive.
- FabulousPaulVIPDined on 5/10/2014We ordered the omakazi menu and it was incredible. The fish was perfectly sliced on perfect rice. Glistening fish and perfectly seasoned. Each morsel was better than the last. Just incredible.Special Features:
- Sublime OmakaseSparksterDined on 4/28/2014This is was my first visit to Ichi 2.0, which is across the street from the old joint. I'm more than pleased to report that they haven't lost a step. The fish was as fantastic as ever and the service was very attentive. My only complaints were that my chair was a bit uncomfortable, the lighting at the bar was too dim and that Chef Tim wasn't working the counter. I'll be back.Special Features:
- overratedogfonDined on 4/21/2014I cannot believe this place is being touted as one of the best sushi bars on the west coast. This place would not make the top 20 in Vancouver or New York
- do the omakase!SOZZABELLEDined on 4/21/2014highly recommend omakase..sit down at the sushi bar and let the sushi chefs call the shotsI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SushiFuzzinyVIPDined on 4/16/2014Great sushi menu with interesting and unique sushi options. All the items on the specials list were great. No dessert.Special Features:
- Nothing special... At all!!!OutandabouttownDined on 4/15/2014Service average, food average, no soul. Pork belly was tasteless and fat vaguely grilled. Cucumber salad the biggest joke, sashimi just as food as sushi next door...
- Ichi, I'll be back.OaktownGirlDined on 4/11/2014Fantastic food. Warm, knowledgable service. Beautiful, modern space. Like no other in our town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing experience & SushiIngridVIPDined on 4/3/2014The sushi is stellar, as is the experience of sitting at the sushi bar. I'd recommend the chef's special, where he gives you whatever is freshest and also describes each piece in detail. I loved the fact there wasn't any soy sauce because each piece is lovingly dressed (or blow torched!). This was hands-down my best sushi experience. Knocks the socks off of Nobu, and I love Nobu...just sayin. DO IT. Oh, and another thing I adored was Biggie Smalls and Dr. Dre playing in background. BOOOM!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but portions a tad smallOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 3/29/2014We were a party of 4, and enjoyed the food. Nice flavors (miso clams were wonderful), beautiful plating. However, although we ordered quite a bit of food, all 4 of us left the restaurant still a bit hungry.Special Features:
- cool space, trying too hardhahveyVIPDined on 3/26/2014i'm weary of any sushi restaurant that has a cool kid vibe to it. i don't need old school rap pumping in the background (though i'm not by any means opposed to it), mostly because i think it covers up for a lack of training and quality when it comes to the sushi. while the omakase was refreshingly inexpensive, the fish and cuts just weren't that great. the spicing/accoutrements were smart and interesting, but it couldn't make up for the fish. they went with obscure fish rather than just the best tasting stuff out there. overall, really liked the vibe and people, but feel like it covered up an average omakase experience.
- little priceymilwaukeedDined on 3/24/2014good solid sushi. but nothing was transcendent. which it should be for the prices they're charging.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overrated, small portions, too loudButtersDined on 3/18/2014Fish was ehh, super small portions, freaking loud as all get out and terrible service.
- Amazing food!BernalFoodGirlDined on 3/5/2014We had eaten sushi at the old space once before, so I knew the sushi would be amazing. What I didn't know is that the other food would be equally amazing—the beef tataki, the cold somen noodles. And the design of the new space is so lovely--vibrant and inviting. This place is now my favorite restaurant in SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.