15 Irving Place
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ichabodsnyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 777-5102
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday and Wednesday 5PM-Midnight
Thursday through Saturday 5PM-1AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Ichabod's
Seasonal American Fare, Market Driven and Locally Sourced as Much as Possible. Full Raw Bar, Open Kitchen.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ichabod's reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (40)fit for foodies (37)romantic (16)hot spot (14)vibrant bar scene (11)good for groups (10)late-night find (10)notable wine list (9)great for brunch (9)special occasion (5)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Great Food, Rushed AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/19/2014Very good food no matter what you order on the menu. Happy hour was the best time to get there due to drink and "snack" specials that are great to add on to small and large plates. Very small space, you will be seated very close to others, reservations recommended. Somewhat rushed ordering by wait staff and if you're not clear that you don't want another drink, they may suddenly bring another drink to the table that you did not clearly order by stating you wanted more so beware, especially with alcohol drinks. Get there early as it gets noisy after 7pm. Great place for friends, not for privacy or romantic date. I would recommend this place to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coulda been great ...CubbyDined on 11/12/2014Well, going out to a restaurant near Union Square, you're going to get a very loud 20-something crowd. So, I felt like we were the odd couple in the room (40+), trying to have a nice conversation above the din of the room. Appetizer was good (mussels), the service started off pretty good, but we waited too long for our entree, which was kind of on the tiny side once it finally came. Shoulda, coulda been better, especially for the price.Special Features:
- Nice spot in the Union Square areatankengineDined on 11/7/2014My wife and I was looking for a place to dine in the Union Square area because we were heading to an Off-Broadway production at 8 PM on a Friday evening. When you walk into Ichabod's you notice the neat bar area and the tables properly arranged under interesting, almost romantic lighting. The wait staff is snappy and informative, pointing out that Happy Hour is on until 7 PM... We ordered a scallop special and dumplings for an appetizer. The scallops were served in a long slender trough dish and missed the mark completely. Dominant flavor was lime juice and was simply disappointing. My wife ordered the hanger steak with fries and really enjoyed it, my cheese burger, with fries, though not the best in NYC, was very good.Special Features:
- Informal setting, great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/1/2014Theatre last evening at DR2 so we booked a table at Icabod's, half a block away. Excellent first course... fresh oysters and fried oysters, followed by superb mushroom toast and squash dumplings. First-class drinks and very good service. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Neighborhood FindJaymanDined on 11/1/2014We went to the Vineyard Theater and had a reservation for Ichabod's after the Saturday matinee for 5:30. We arrived early for the theater and stopped at Ichabod's for a drink. It was Saturday at 2:30 and it was packed with a young lunch crowd and very "noisy". Since we were with friends we hadn't seen for awhile, we wanted to talk over dinner and were concerned about the noise level. We got to Ichabod's just as it opened at 5:30 and decide to give it a try. The food was excellent and the bartender poured a good drink. As we were finishing dinner it got crowded and the noise level picked up - not as bad as brunch.Special Features:
- Attentive service, good foodispeaksDined on 10/26/2014Went there for Sunday brunch. I like that you can make reservations for brunch. Service was excellent, recommend chicken thigh biscuit, portions were generous for everything we ordered.Special Features:
- Gem in the Union Square areaNickDined on 10/18/2014I didn't expect much going in; restaurants in the neighborhood are either overpriced or terrible or both. I was delighted with Ichabod's: the food was excellent, service was outstanding (friendly, personable, attentive waitress who was there when we needed here and not when we didn't), no upselling - we never felt rushed which happens so often in the City when resturants want to 'turn the tables'. Bus boys waited until both me and my date were finished eating before removing the plates which is almost unheard of in NYC (!) Food was excellent! Had the squash dumplings, mussels steak frites, striped bass: all was amazing. Lively, warm ambiance but not too loud. Bar looks awesome - will come back for drinks as well. Kudos all around. Go!Special Features:
- reasonablehoopVIPDined on 10/16/2014I am a regular. I always order Burrata and TunaTartar. I prefer previous Burrata which come with sliced green apple. I do not know why they changed. Cocktails are really good. Autumn Bramble is really good. but my best is Aphrodite which they used have. I do not know why they stop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/9/2014I was pleasantly surprised with Ichabods. I had the chicken, which at most restaurants is usally the boring choice, but this was exceptional. It was juicy and full of flavor. The drinks were also really tasty. I will definitely be back!Special Features:
- One of the best spots in GramercyOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/2/2014Excellent food with a seasonal menu in a great location.Special Features:
- Ica-LOUDPickyEaters1VIPDined on 9/20/2014Surprisingly good food and interesting menu for such a small space. Pleasant and efficient staff. Nice music selection. With Irving Plaza next door a lively atmosphere is expected, but really, you can't speak to the person next to you without shouting and rush to leave. It's busy, so perhaps the owners think it's a draw, but the kitchen's hard work goes to waste.Special Features:
- JannVIPDined on 9/14/2014Sampled their Squash dumpling at Taste of Gramercy event on Saturday. Decided to try their brunch on Sunday. Chilaquiles & Frittata entrees were acceptable but nothing special. Very noisy.
- Excellent ServiceAndreaVIPDined on 9/14/2014The brunch was very delicious and the service really top notch. Go early on Sunday for the best table.Special Features:
- Great brunch spotreallyinfrequentreviewerDined on 9/13/2014My friends and I had a really wonderful time at Ichabod's for brunch last Saturday. Everyone there was super friendly and attentive (even with my group that was slowly trickling in over the course of 30 minutes) - I was very impressed with the food and the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/11/2014Usually love this place - the food really is fantastic - but this time it was so noisy it wasn't enjoyable at all.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingAlishaPVIPDined on 8/23/2014I was pleasantly amazed with this restaurant! I could not stop talking about my outstanding dining experience, from the skillfully crafted cocktails, to the well-thought out and balanced burrata dish, and of course who could forget that amazing ice cream sundae! Truly, a unique find putting out some good food. I'LL BE BACK!Special Features:
- AMAZING!!Shoegal21Dined on 8/14/2014Great lil spot with amazing food! Been there twice and both times we ordered a bunch of small plates.. the tuna tartare, ribs, calamari, squash dumplings and octopus are AMAZING!!! definite must... next time we go we'll try some of their entrees.Special Features:
- Next time I'll arrive starvingBwicksDined on 8/12/2014There just isn't enough room for two humans to eat all the yummy food here! I wanted to order more but I got full. Kale Ceaser: delish. Squash dumplings: sweet and savory goodness. Burratta: made me close my eyes... I also took forever to eat it because I didn't want it to be gone. Sundae: simple ingredients paired well.. It's too bad my face didn't fit in mason Jar to lick the rest of the caramel. I'll be back with a hungrier tummy next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ambiance and ServiceMargaretVIPDined on 8/1/2014The flatbread was savory and wonderful. The lettuce plate (salad) was underwhelming. The mussels- were poor/ great sauce but the quality of the mussels was concerning. The fried oyster dish was great. Overall- overpriced dishes, but great decor and ambiance.Special Features:
- Always on pointWaveyDaveDined on 7/31/2014They do things right here and consistently so. Simple, streamlined menu belies depth of flavor and high level technique. Great plating combinations hit the mark without being overly fancy or contrived. Menu highlights: fried oyseter wraps, squash dumplings, chicken (A+), skirt steak, cavatelli and powerful burger. Very strong cocktail program try a sazerac, manhattan or something with mezcal. Also thoughtfully edited wine list that doesn't read like Moby Dick. And don't skip dessert - the sundae is crack.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!PhifedogVIPDined on 7/28/2014The food was delicious, the service was great...overall lovely. The squash dumplings are like heaven in your mouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 96 reviews are from the Ichabod's reviews archive.
- ILoveFoodVIPDined on 7/17/2014This is maybe out tenth trip there, i love how the menu and cocktails lists change but are always still amazing! I've never had a bad item there. We love it!Special Features:
- Excellentdve5Dined on 6/28/2014Food was absolutely excellent. The tuna tartar and butternut squash dumplings are an absolute must.Special Features:
- Superb. Oh those dumplings!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/20/2014Go here with an appetite. The dumplings in particular are exquisite, I would go back just for bowls of these, but the Burrata salad and the Mussels (broth) were just as delicious. Everything was so fresh, flavorful and moreish we just wanted to try the entire menu. We shared 5 smaller dishes including the kale Caesar and asparagus side which satisfied 2 hungry people. The presentation and attention to each dish just enhances the taste. The excellent service and unique ambience tipped this review to 5 stars. We were so impressed we went back for brunch and happily the food and service was just as good. Pricey, but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always goodhoopVIPDined on 6/10/2014I can not believe this restaurant is still popular yet. Still easy to have a reservation. I strongly recommend if you look for new American style restaurant around Union Square and East village, go to Ichabod's. Do not spend money a lot at fancy good interior restaurants.Special Features:
- Love it.ILoveFoodVIPDined on 6/9/2014We go here more than any other restaurant in New York and always have a great meal and a great time. Everything is always good and exciting!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WelcomingspandwskDined on 6/7/2014As out of town visitors, we were looking for a pre-theater supper before a play at the Vineyard theater across the street. Though we're many decades older than the hip clientele who now seem to enjoy Ichabods, we were welcomed warmly and enjoyed an interesting and delicious meal. And the noise level was reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surprisern66VIPDined on 6/4/2014We wanted a quick burger and drink. The cocktails were very good, the burger terrific. The prices are a bit on the high side, but the staff are very well trained, attentive without being too much and very nice, so worth it. It is a bit loud, but everyone was happy - who can complain!Special Features:
- Nicely servedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/31/2014Good food and attentive service. A very enjoyable meal.Special Features:
- Loved everything about Icabods.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014The food was outstanding and the wine list had a terrific range of excellent wine at vaired prices. Staff superb! LOved, loved, loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful restaurantGlobetrotterVIPDined on 5/13/2014Really enjoyed the escarole salad and pistachio encrusted halibut.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent but overpircedCelebrationVIPDined on 5/7/2014It is your typical bar scene of Union Square. I do not think their drinks are worth 14 bucks and burger was not good enough to be a 19 dollar menu item. Fries were over salted.Special Features:
- 2nd time visiting in a weekKimCVIPDined on 5/3/2014I went on a Monday and loved it so much I had to go back that Saturday for more. It's a great neighborhood spot with excellent food, a great drink menu and service. This will defintiely become a staple place for me. The halibut with pistachio is outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thebravesVIPDined on 5/2/2014Unremarkable. Food was drenched in oil and service subpar. I asked for bread for the table and we received 2 burnt slices of bread with butter. Go elsewhere for the money.
- Great pre concert dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/23/2014Had a great dinner here, awesome food, great wine and coctails. We would definitely go back, plus they got us in and out in more than enough time for our show at Irving Plaza!Special Features:
- Always good…buthoopVIPDined on 4/14/2014I think I am a regular for this restaurant. however since waitresses who I knew left, I am not a regular at all. new waitresses are always chatting at the counter table. the restaurant lost good communications. that makes me sad… the waiters try to get my dishes despite there are foods still on the plates. I do not why they ask me to take the plats away. look at the plates !!!!
- nativepamDined on 4/13/2014The food was delicious. My daughter had recommended the kale flower salad, squash dumplings, and the roasted brussel sprouts, with bacon and mustard sauce. They did not disappoint! Three of us shared the sundae and it was sinfully good. However, the music was as LOUD as in a dance club and we really had to struggle to have a conversation. It made what would have otherwise been a fine dinner incredibly uncomfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a young, energeticOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/11/2014This is a young, energetic spot- with very delicious food! Service was great, the special pasta was terrific, and Happy Hour drinks can't be beat. WE have been twice for pre-theater near Union Square and it is perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I've been to this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/24/2014I've been to this restaurant twice now, the first time with family and the second with business associates, and have been very happy with the overall experience both times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good location for the VineyardOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/23/2014good location for the Vineyard Theater. We're members. A bit noisy with all the hard surfaces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.