Ice House Cafe
760 Elden Street
Herndon, VA 20170Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Ice House Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.icehousecafe.com/
- Phone: (703) 437-4500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thurday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Ice House Cafe
Every now and then you run across a truely memorable restaurant that delights all of your senses. The food is imaginative, the atmosphere charming, the wine list extensive, the entertainment enjoyable, and the staff make you feel so comfortable that you want to come back again and again. Nestled in historic Herndon, the Ice House Cafe has been cooking up an unforgettable dining experience since 1979. From the ceiling fans blowing a cool breeze through the cozy surroundings, to the photos lining the walls of a bygone era when life was less hectic and more relaxed, to the woodwork and brass fixtures that call attention to detail- you'll find yourself easing into a deeply satisfying evening.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ice House Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (5)neighborhood gem (5)special occasion (4)notable wine list (3)romantic (2)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)good for groups (1)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- What a difference a day makesBaxterVIPDined on 11/8/2014Ate lunch here and it was phenomenal. Had dinner on a Satuday night- Not very good...just okay. Overcrowded and noisy. One of the wait staff actually told my elderly parent and friend who was having visible difficulties walking to use the back door when we were exiting because there wasn't enough room to go out front (where our car was). Waiter was friendly but apparently overwhelmed. Food definitely lacking-especially since I know what they are capable of at lunch.. Back room has no ambience and closeterphibic - four top table should be used as two top. I will give it one more chance since previous experience was opposite.Special Features:
- OutstandingBaxterVIPDined on 11/5/2014Delicious. Four of us stopped for lunch and it was outstanding. We all ordered different meals from liver and onions to beef stroganoff. All of us wanted to go back for dinner same night it was so good! I will go back and recommend this restaurant.
- Unique menugolferbobDined on 10/28/2014If you are looking for a different experience in a historic setting the Ice House is for you. The location is on main street Herndon in the historic district. We had a party of four and each had a different entrée which we all enjoyed. The desert and wine list further added to an enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mikeDined on 10/27/2014While we had heard a lot of good things about The Ice House, this is the first time we had eaten there. We were not disappointed. The Oysters were outstanding---fresh, plump and obviously fresh, not frozen. Mike JackleySpecial Features:
- No.deirVIPDined on 10/11/2014$50 for one glass of wine and one entree in Herndon? No. Also, we all know this, but the place is just too small for the music to be that loud. Love the jazz, but the volume makes it hard to relax.
- Neighborhood gemHerbertDined on 10/4/2014Situated in the older part of Herndon, this is a neighborhood gem with a rustic old world ambience . The seafood dishes were oustanding although my wife found the Duck Oriental entree a bit undercooked. On this Saturday night, the Dixieland Direct band provided some wonderful jazz music New Orleans style. Very enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/2/2014salads and soups were very good, nice local place for lunch. Good parking
- Bad ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/9/2014We were sat right next to a party of 30 - when there was plenty other seats available..it was a Tuesday night. Our waiter paid attention to everything BUT us. He couldn't remember the specials had to ask again how the steak was cooked after my dining mate had just said. I doubt I will ever go to the Ice house again. We went hoping we could have some quiet pleasant conversation and instead we rushed to get out.
- Fun experience, spotty serviceDiplokeithDined on 8/29/2014We were there on a Friday night, so the place was pretty packed and the jazz band was in full swing. It made for a fun atmosphere, but pretty noisy. Parking was a bit tight in the area. But the food's the thing. The half dozen oysters on the half shell were sweet, fresh, and delicious and the Jambalaya was a lovely mesh of flavors with just the right amount of kick. The walnut apple pie was a nice finish. I would rate the evening at least a star higher were it not for the spotty service. We waited significant time to place and get each stage of the meal. The bread did not arrive until our entrees did and when we asked for more bread, our server simply disappeared. Nice enough experience, but won't be in a hurry to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice group dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/6/2014A group of 7 for dinner. Requested a round table for better conversation and Ice House took care of it & even called to confirm & tell us it was setup for us. Service was very good, all 7 people really liked their food, & amazing desserts. Atmosphere was cozy and nice. Have eaten here several times for group lunches and dinners, and will return, to be sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 184 reviews are from the Ice House Cafe reviews archive.
- Oysters were juicyTpartyDined on 7/2/2014Been to oyster House before, and I'm so glad a Groupon brought me back. Oysters were meaty and juicy, Caesar salad was delicious, bread divine, really satisfying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunchwiththeladieslunchwiththeladiesDined on 7/1/2014a little pricey, but pleasant. nice atmosphere, helpful waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kudos for Cassie!DGraySVIPDined on 6/18/2014Great lunch, as has been the case each time I've visited the Ice House Cafe: the food was delicious and our seating location encouraged and enabled conversation. The real standout was our server, Cassie, who made excellent suggestions for our very discerning vegetarian, including recommending that the latter should select a fish and how she would wish it prepared: the chef then accommodated both requests (grouper, grilled) to perfection, including a side sauce that yielded raves. It would be difficult to overstate how much Cassie's attentive service enhanced an already very positive workday luncheon experience at this very charming and earnest neighborhood cafe.Special Features:
- Nice ambiance, but limited menuSofttechVIPDined on 5/17/2014Very hard to eat here unless you're getting a huge steak. Which in the past was excellent. The chef was gracious enough to whip something together that was excellent. But the bill was $75 & not worth it. service was disruptive. Great attitude & waiter was especially professional. It is bc this used to be one of my spots for romantic dates with new guys. Unfortunately, music was over bearingly loud, lighting way too bright, noise level annoying, bar crowd sort of lame. Bartender (female) excellent. Too bad they don't give her enough alcohol options. It is what it is. Staff worked very hard with limited options & resources.Special Features:
- Excellent but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/11/2014We basically had the restaurant to ourselves on Mother's Day. The earlier brunch crowd was gone, and the dinner crowd was yet to come. Our reservation was for 3:30 and the place was transitioning from the brunch menu to the dinner menu. Some confusion. Service was fantastic. He was knowledgeable and refreshed our glasses and bread basket without being asked. She chose a pineapple salsa which was perfect. Our appetizers were delicate on the dressing for my mom's tomato and mozzarella salad, and my fresh asparagus with crab cake was superb. My daughters brie was superbly done as well. Ahi tuna, Salmon, Eggplant, and Beef were perfect. We did not order dessert.Special Features:
- Great little gem!New2Dined on 5/10/2014Foodies would enjoy! Fresh fish and creative cuisine. Amazing, inventive and talented chef! The service was 5 star... They train their servers well! I will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is outstandingDannyVIPDined on 5/2/2014We went to this restaurant for dinner. Upon entering the person that seated us seemed very confused and didnt really know what to do. I told him we had a reservation but he didnt look for it. He just proceeded to seat us. Not a big deal, he was pleasant and immediately filled our water glasses. Our server then came and got our drink order and let us know the specials. I reviewed the menu prior to coming to the restaurant and was very excited that there was Oysters Rockefeller. We ordered that for appetizer and it was wonderful. I ordered the Ostrick steak entree and my partner ordered the steak special. Everything was cooked perfectly and wonderful. I would definitely return.Special Features:
- nafoodVIPDined on 4/19/2014The busser kept water full and table clean. Food so soSpecial Features:
- 3 Business Travelers loved it!!!TJMCCVIPDined on 4/4/2014I definitely wanted to try this place for dinner after reading the reviews. My biggest concern was the noise level on a Friday night so I booked dinner early. We were immediately welcomed as we walked in the door and the place was definitely quiet at 6 pm. Service was fantastic and all food selections were cooked beautifully. By 7 pm the place started filling up and the jazz band began playing promptly at 7:30. The band was not loud and the overall restaurant scene was vibrant and pleasant. The ambiance is "old school" restaurant / pub style and despite the tables being a little close together (as some have mentioned here), it was a very comfortable dining experience. If I owned this restaurant I wouldn't change a thing. A Must Try!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad to be back!!DaughterVIPDined on 4/2/2014We hadn't been to Ice House in maybe ten years. The interior is still the same, which we love, a combination of pub and white tablecloths. Food is interesting and very good. They have a great bar menu and we saw tons of folks come in and head to the back bar. Our waiter was very personable and helped make the evening enjoyable. We definitely plan to go back.Special Features:
- Great for food and music.BusinessLunchDined on 3/28/2014Drove out to Herndon from DC and it was totally worth it. The Ice House has regular (maybe even nightly) music in a pub setting. Very good food, very relaxed ambience, and good "homestyle" friendly service. Of course the entertainment was good, and the crowd was very relaxed and friendly, including many regulars and neghborhood diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant with characterBillDined on 3/28/2014Yes, it's crowded and loud, the tables are a little close together and the decor a bit '50s, but the food was very good and so was the staff. People were enjoying themselves and the music was lively (zydeco, I think). If you want plain vanilla dining, go to the Olive Garden. If you want a lively, full of character "people and food" place, try the Ice House.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cassie was greatGregVIPDined on 3/11/2014Food was good and Cassie, our server, was great. Will ask for her again next time we go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid and consistentStevenA875VIPDined on 3/8/2014We have been to Ice House Cafe a number of times and it's always the same story...in a good way! The varied menu provides a variety of dishes and even those with the most discriminating of tastes are sure to find something they will enjoy. For me, it was the French onion soup followed by shrimp and grits, and then a shared chocolate mousse. All were delicious. Adding to the ambiance was a jazz quintet that was entertaining without being overbearing in such a cozy venue.Special Features:
- Great Upscale CasualJimPDined on 3/7/2014Service was great and the live Jazz was just right. Not too loud or too soft and the selection of music was great. Our table of three had all your specials which were excellent. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice EveningRedHatWomanDined on 3/4/2014Had a nice evening with my women's group. We were in the back so it is a bit more roomy and quiet. The food was excellent. The service was good. We had arranged in advance for separate checks and the server was very accommodating. Only a bit slow at the end when the server was confused as to who got what check.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for oysters, wine and jazz.DMY5Dined on 3/1/2014Nice place for a drink and some lovely oysters. Decent beer and wine selection. Seafood (mussels, stuffed flounder, crab cakes) was disappointing, especially for the prices charges. Service was good and so was the jazz.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The only problem was the noiseleroiDined on 3/1/2014We had a great dinner Saturday night at the Ice House with another couple. Unfortunately, we were at a table in the back room with a large group beside us. At times it was so loud we literally had to shout to hear each other. The food was great, but we the noise level was just too much. We had planned on desert and coffee, but couldn't stand it any longer so we came back to our home for coffee and after dinner drinks. The bottom line is, if you go you might want to request a table in the front room just in case.Special Features:
- Romantic and JazzyRoosterDined on 2/14/2014Enjoyed Valentines Day with good music and great food. Service was outstanding. We were seated next to the piano player. A little loud but was able to have some conversation. Recommend for a romantic evening with entertainment and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old fashion and overpricedXpat4everDined on 2/14/2014The only praise for the food I can give is for the bread. Everything else was disappointing.
- Ice HouseGoodfoodDined on 1/18/2014We sat in the back room where it was nice and quiet. Good jazz music started and it was a good volume to still be able to carry on a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okZmanDined on 1/4/2014It would have been good, BUT: Tiny bits of crab and/or lobster shell in the food. Waiter forgot our appetizer. Music was nice but interfered with conversation.
- Amazing GemHerndonRunner72Dined on 12/31/2013Unbelievable food. Impeccable service. Old Fashioned hard work make this restuarant a must. Great wine list. Dan in the back bar is a rare find. Have a drink at his bar before dinner and you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- FoodjohnzDined on 12/31/2013After our NYE plans fell through, we were lucky to score a last second reservation. The food was amazing. We live within walking distance and have never dined there. We will certainly be going back.Special Features:
- The service was outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/16/2013The service was outstanding and the food was excellent as well. It was quiet, but it was also a Monday. I would definitely recommend it.Special Features:
- Great Music VenueArthurDined on 11/30/2013We like jazz and we were not disappointed. The food was just average. The food did not meet expectations. The mussels special which was described as done in a white wine, was in a marinara sauce and the mussels were like peas, big shells and small. About half of the shells were empty. I had a Mahi special which was OK but hardly "special". Three of our four ordered the lamb shank and were later informed that they were out of that. We had a 7:30 reservation so that surprised us. We had a nice evening and enjoyed the music which sort of saved the overall experience. The Ice House, has great ambience for a small and intimate evening in a jazz club atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good meal, mediocre settingJerseyJazzDined on 11/19/2013I had some good fish and apple pie here, but the setting is like a 1950s finished basement with dark knotty pine walls and stuffed deer heads, etc. The place is so dark that it was hard even to read the menu. I was eating by myself, and though the servers were friendly, they rushed me. It is obviously very popular with locals, though, and would be a completely different experience if you went with a crowd.Special Features:
- The Ice House Cafe is a smallOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/16/2013The Ice House Cafe is a small restaurant with two separate seating areas. The main floor is just 2 and 4 tops and is pretty romantic. The styling is well aged speak easy. The live music was great and for no cover - a treat for the neightborhood. The food was really good - I had the French onion soup and lamb shank; both were hearty and flavorful. My wife had the mahi mahi special which I tasted and it was very well prepared and was a nice light offering. The Oysters Rockerfeller were amazing and a perfect appitizer on a cold night. The wait staff was pretty good by DC standards but we did have to wave down the waiter a few times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night of jazzGingerDined on 10/18/2013Came to hear the jazz band and enjoy the food which is always great. Wonderful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were in Herndon for a lateChriscVIPDined on 9/21/2013We were in Herndon for a late youth baseball game and decided to check it out. Interesting variety on the menu. Great food and super jazz band.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.