Iberico Spanish Bistro
909 Prospect St
La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
Iberico Spanish Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://ibericobistro.com/
- Phone: (858) 454-1958
- Hours of Operation:
Mondays:11:00 am. to 10pm.
Tuesdays:11:00 am. to 10pm.
Wednesdays:11:00 am. to 10pm.
Thursdays:11:00 am. to 11pm.
Fridays:11:00 am. to 11pm.
Saturdays:11:00 am. to 11pm.
Sundays:11:00 am. to 10pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish
- Executive Chef: Luis Cárdenas Luna
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Life Music & DJ
A word from Iberico Spanish Bistro
Spanish Urban BistroContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Iberico Spanish Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (13)great for outdoor dining (12)romantic (12)special occasion (8)neighborhood gem (8)good for groups (7)late-night find (5)scenic view (5)notable wine list (4)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- RachaelVIPDined on 11/22/2014The food was very average. I think the quality has declined recently. We had the calamari and it was over fried. The shrimp was the only good item we had. They were out of a lot of things and as a result had a limited selection. I wouldn't recommend this restaurant, and do not plan on returning.
- Don't botherDanWDined on 11/19/2014Tucked away on the second level of a hard to find restaurant complex, we were hopeful that we found a local secret. The fact that there were few other diners should have been our first clue. But we decided to give it a chance. Tempraniño arrived ice cold; a local Spanish custom? The Gazpacho was just.....OK, but certainly edible. The Huevos Rotos (Spanish paprika seasoned potatoes crowned with sunny side up egg ;add chorizo or serrano ham) was the last straw......so plain and ordinary with mushy potato cubes, that we couldn't even finish. Decided not to go any further into this tapas menu. Left and picked up a frozen yogurt. Definitely a 'local secret' and likely to remain so.
- Great tapas and gin drinks!SDImp13Dined on 11/2/2014Amazing food, and fantastic hand-crafted drinks from extensive menu of gins. The croquettes and the flatbread were particular standouts, though I have many more to try on future visits!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieDined on 11/1/2014The food that we tried was good and pretty authentic. Unfortunately, they were out of several main items on the menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- need have more waiterstruthful4reviewDined on 11/1/20142 waiters on sat night wasnt enough, food was ok, few items been missing from menu, service was fairSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good servicehappy712Dined on 10/29/2014The paella was way too salty and didn't have enough of the saffron flavor. I'm from NYC where there are plenty of outstanding Spanish restaurants. This one had great ambiance and service, but the food left much to be desired.Special Features:
- Perfect ambianceCochiDined on 10/24/2014We really enjoyed the paella and sangria. The food had a very authentic taste. I lived in Spain and felt at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very MixedJLCR10Dined on 10/17/2014A friend and I went to this restaurant on Friday at about 6:00pm. There were only 2 other tables of diners. It took our waiter 10 minutes to get to our table. (I do not believe it was the waiters fault as they may have been understaffed). They were out of the wine we requested. Also, the outdoor heater wasn't working so we moved inside. We thought our dining experience was going to improve when the appetizers arrived in a timely manner and were excellent. Our main course however, the paella, was disappointing. The seafood was overcooked and the tiny pieces of chorizo were scorched black on one side. I would like for this restaurant to succeed but doubt I will return.
- Great service. Delicious food.JCF24Dined on 9/6/2014Arrived a few minutes early for our reservation to celebrate a birthday. No problem. Our table was set shortly after we got there. Service was very professional and food was amazing. Wait wasn't long for our food to be brought to the table. Tapas and paellas were unique. Will definitely be coming back.Special Features:
- Good restaurant!tmetmbDined on 9/1/2014Everytime,this restaurant give us quiet and tasty restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not worth tryingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014did not find a lot of effort being made to make the food special in any way --especially for the price. also was hoping to find some Iberico ham on the menu but found that although it exists, it is rare, over-priced, and served in paltry volumes. i suppose the hope of the owners is that tourists will run out of other options and end up in their place. waitress was attentive and efficient.Special Features:
- Perfect Spanish Bistro in La JollaLJDinersDined on 8/29/2014Wonderful experience! Tapas are varied and all well made. Service is attentive. Wine by glass selection a bit limited but Sebastian the owner will offer better wines off the menu by the glass at fair prices.
- A most enjoyable experience!happy2dinehereDined on 8/23/2014We chose Ibericos for an intimate family birthday gathering. The service and attention to detail was fantastic. Our host was delightful and attentive. Loved the ambience and the chic music in the background...Just right for conversation. The food was very good with beautiful presentation. We especially enjoyed the vegetable paella...fabulous dish! I would definitely recommend this restaurant to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findNPfoodieVIPDined on 8/15/2014We had very nice dinner here. Great Service. It was fun to try so many different platesSpecial Features:
- Charming, but...live2eatDined on 8/9/2014Good location, charming place, however the service was slow, waitress disappear right when you're ready to order another drink, can't judge all the menu, but my husband claim with tomato sauce was bland lacked spices and my flatbread dish was soaked with olive oil which made it kind of soggy, but we liked the ambiance, and we might come back and try something else on the menu.Special Features:
- Good Overall Experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/2/2014The food was very good with quite a bit of variety. It was served as ordered and the prices are reasonable except the prices for bottles of wine which are high with no good values.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas!FoodieFreakVIPDined on 8/1/2014At last, a place for tapas in La Jolla ... and they're good! Do try the marinated anchovies and the shrimp in olive oil and garlic ... couldn't dunk enough bread in that delicious sauce! We'll go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 68 reviews are from the Iberico Spanish Bistro reviews archive.
- Best of La JollaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014Iberico is a perfect example of how to create a successful restaurant. Combine excellent food, excellent service and a nice atmosphere. Easy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed with girls!!tmetmbDined on 7/19/2014We used here for girls night out(5 people),it was so good! Good mood,food and prepared seats were half moon table and bench chair,so we can sit together and easy to talk! We must use this restaurant next time again!Special Features:
- A must for lovers of Spanish foodtravlanDined on 7/7/2014Been here a few times and it get's better every time. The food is excellent and the service is attentive and professional. Great for an intimate dinner or a larger party. Particularly enjoy the ambiance on the outdoor patio. Loved the paella and the tapas is bursting with refined spanish flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LHDinersLHDinersDined on 7/5/2014Iberico exceeded expectations--we felt as if we were in back in Barcelona. Went with a group of 6 and the tapas made a full dinner and were all wonderful. Sabastian, our server, was friendly and very knowledgeable about the menu--his recommendations were spot on. He even got us Bordeaux glass for a bottle of wine that we brought with us. Prices were very fair Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Lunch was open at 11 am - good servearlylunchDined on 6/24/2014The smoked salmon salad was very delicious and the service was friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TAPAS!!!1DivatcatVIPDined on 6/13/2014Fully enjoyed the food, ambience and service. Outdoor dining was nice and the variety of tapas was amazing. All in my party enjoyed the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh!FoodieJudyDined on 5/16/2014As you walk into Iberico, you'll be impressed by the vibrant interior design. Unfortunately, the experience goes downhill from there. Though I arrived 10 min ahead of the rest of my party to let the host know about our reservation, our table was still not ready when my friends arrived. We stood round and waited. Once we were seated, we were offered drinks right away, then our waiter disappeared. It was at least 15 minutes before our orders were taken. When the food arrived, it was either flavorless or overpoweringly spicy. We ordered dozens of tapas, yet not one did I finish on my plate. And the sangria we ordered tasted like Kool-Aid. Or course, when it was time to collect our money, the waiter became oddly efficient. Funny how that works.Special Features:
- Fri. Dinner w Helder, Kristen n jAndy123VIPDined on 5/16/2014Spanish food, a different style for us. Enjoyed the tapas mentality. Service spotty w water service. Felt like they tried to push us out to seat the next table. Nice night w old friends. Food fun n different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly staff and great foodScottyCycles62Dined on 5/10/2014We were there to celebrate my girlfriends birthday and we were a small group of five. The table we were seated at allowed for plenty of elbow room (nothing worse then bumping elbows with your fellow diners) and the food selection covered the vegan, vegetarian and the carnivores. Our waitress was friendly, attentive (but not hovering). The food tasted great.Special Features:
- Great Dining Experience!NancyPDined on 5/9/2014Went for an early dinner with friends. The tapas were delicious and meals wonderful. Franco was our server and he was delightful and helpful! They have quite an array of gin cocktails ---- which supports their Gin Club. Delightful!Special Features:
- gourmandVIPDined on 4/22/2014First time at the restaurant. Maybe it was that one perfect evening...the temperature was right on the patio, it was not crowded, the food was excellent (rarely do you get a really good paella), the service attentive (Leo), maybe because it was somewhat slow, relaxed business. We'll have to try it again, just to make sure it wasn't just a series of coincidences.Special Features:
- Great, authentic Spanish restaurantNorthParkresidentDined on 4/11/2014We went for the first time to celebrate my wife's birthday. The food was exquisite, with great, hard to find locally Spanish wines, and the service was impeccable. Franco, the manager was our most gracious and knowledgeable server, and made great wine pairing suggestions. We still can't believe how tender the octopus al ajillo was, and how well it went with a brut Spanish cava. The menu selections are great for any lover of Spanish food or as an introduction to Iberian cuisine. My sister is coming back to San Diego after 5 years in Spain and we plan to take her to Iberico. She will love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best authentic spanish food in SDanaMDined on 4/5/2014and this is from someone from Madrid! Truly authentic! Delicious!Special Features:
- Not accomodating to the occasionFoodLovermanDined on 4/2/2014So I booked the reservation on Open table and let them know that it was my anniversary and I would like a choice table in the restaurant for the celebration. When we arrived, they made no not of the anniversary and they really had no table reserved for us. Of course the restaurant was not busy at this time but other restaurants have gone the extra mile to provide a choice table "reserved" for you. The table that we were seated in had no view and was not in a "romantic" location of the restaurant to suite the occasion. The staff did make an effort to accommodate with normal service as we ordered off the menu. All in all I just did not feel like this was the place to celebrate a special occasion. Good place for a random meal though.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tapas spot with wideRonnieVIPDined on 4/2/2014Great tapas spot with wide variety of interesting small plates. Friendly, attractive waiters who are eager to please.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date night at Iberico2foodloversVIPDined on 3/30/2014The service was very good, but the food was not as good as our last visit. I think that the wine list and menu are overpriced. The serving also seemed to be smaller and presented differently. I'm not sure I would go back even thought it is very close.Special Features:
- Perfect!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/29/2014a perfect dining experience. The service, food and ambiance couldn't have been better. We will definitely come back when in La Jolla again. Music was perfect choice and perfect volume, just enough to give background music and flamenco vibe. Love the decor. Turns out we stayed for 3 hours! Great tapas, loved the marinated artichokes with sauce and flash fried Serrano ham.Special Features:
- Creative Food and Gin CoctailsTy2dineDined on 3/22/2014Their octopus and ox tail tapas were out standing. Their fresh seafood dishes, the black cod and the sea bass were done to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had high hopesOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 3/22/2014Unfortunately it wasn't as good as we expected. That's not to say that it was bad, it wasn't. We were disappointed in our server not knowing the menu items. The grilled octopus with citrus vinaigrette is excellent. One item we ordered is blatantly wrong on the menu, we asked our server about it, ordered it and found out it was not what we wanted. They did take it off our bill. The manager, Sebastian, was very friendly and helpful. Not a bad place, but not great either.
- Worth itAAAplusDined on 3/21/2014This was my second visit. I've enjoyed both visits to this relatively new restaurant. The food is well prepared and flavorful. Our waiter "Franco" was excellent. He's casual yet knowledgable manner was most appreciated. The Paella was very good. The Gambas al Ajillo (garlic shrimp) is excellent. I'm looking forward to a return visit.Special Features:
- EnjoyedIguanaDined on 3/13/2014Our Argentinian friends found this place when they stopped in for a glass of wine. We met them at a later date for Tapas and drinks. We had their signature gin cocktails, our friends had wine. All good. Tapas were good. The waiter was excellent. He was attentive and made suggestions. The restaurant is in a quieter section of La Jolla. It's in a group of 4 different restaurants. I want to try them all. Cool spot.Special Features:
- Great Spanish foodMickyDined on 3/9/2014Great Restaurant Outstanding food and service. Congratulations to the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved their patio dining ...ChrissieVIPDined on 3/8/2014Also loved the ambiance and decor. Tapas were good but the fried calamari tapa was outstanding, Choose a beautiful day and enjoy a leisurely lunch on the second level of this beautiful restaurant in downtown La Jolla.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.