105 Christopher Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://isodinyc.com/
- Phone: 2124145774
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 5:30pm - 11:00pm Lunch: Saturday-Sunday 12pm-3pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Rita Sodi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
A word from I Sodi
Rita Sodi grew up on a little farm North of Florence, Italy, and almost everything her family ate was made from the farm, prosciutto, salame, wine, vegetables…and this food was very important for the family. They were not allowed to miss any meal. Rita's mother, Elena, always told her to drink wine because it “makes good blood” and do not eat Prosciutto without bread. When she finished art school she began to travel for my work in the clothing business and at that point she really started to appreciate the simplicity of her mother's food and the way she cooked. For ten years she traveled from Florence, Italy to New York, Los Angeles, Asia and Australia. Year after year, wherever in the world Rita found a kitchen, she began to cooked my Mother's food. Friends filled her kitchen and sat at her table, her passion was born.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
I Sodi - Best Restaurants in West Village ›
I Sodi reviews from OpenTable diners
85 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (64)fit for foodies (57)romantic (40)special occasion (27)notable wine list (25)hot spot (11)late-night find (10)vibrant bar scene (8)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (2)good for groups (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- consistently deliciousDubDinesVIPDined on 10/27/2014The worst part of going to I Sodi is deciding which pasta to order. I have never been disappointed and their Cacio e Pepe holds a special place in my heart which makes branching out a challenge. Great wines. Attentive service. I'm very comfortable eating solo at the bar and I get consistently high praises for my restaurant choice when I bring guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in the worldOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/24/2014Located in the W. Village a gorgeous intimate beautiful and most delicious places on earth. Great unique italian menu, Chef Sodi provides a great journey for your palate. Their staff is polite, friendly and knowledgable. They make you feel so welcome. Every time I'm in nyc I dine at I Sodi and I just can't speak high enough.Special Features:
- Just okTravelerVIPDined on 10/11/2014I rarely go for Italian food of any kind in New York City. I am Italian, and find that it is difficult to find good, authentic, regional Italian food here. I Sodi has a pleasant atmosphere, it is tucked away in the West Village on Christopher Street, it is small, simple and candle lit. I ordered the seasonal chestnut tortelli which were too dense and pasty. The pasta was overly thick and sweet. It was not a successful dish. Most everything - including the side vegetable - came with lots of grated cheese on top. It is better to be asked if you want it first, and sometimes it just doesn't belong. The cacio e pepe was unbalanced with too much pepper and oil. We wanted to like I Sodi, but every dish either unsuccessful or just not memorable.Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningfoodieVIPDined on 10/8/2014Fantastic food! Everyone in our party loved all the dishes. The highlight was the black pepper pasta.....honeslty the best pasta I have had in the US! We will be back. Thank you!Special Features:
- Great valueluvvalueDined on 10/8/2014Loved the half plates. Great service. Food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid but SaltyAlmostDined on 10/4/2014I recently went to I Sodi for my anniversary. Service is great and the ambiance is very nice, but we found our food extremely salty - so salty that it lead me to feeling subpar. Maybe we just caught the restaurant on a bad day, but we were sucking down water glass after glass after eating our antipasta and pasta courses. One other slight disappointment was the rabit course. The rabbit (also really salty) comes wrapped in pork, but we found that we actually received about 40% rabbit and 60% pork and bacon-kind of deceiving as they were pushing the rabbit as something the restaurant was known for. This is a nice restaurant with a nice menu but for the money, I will stick with Babbo in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousChappaqua5423VIPDined on 9/30/2014Terrific, interesting Italian food. Licked the plate of fried artichokes. Fabulous pasta with sautéed onions and lasagne with bechamel sauce. Expensive wine list. Server very attentive. Perfect if going to the theater next door. Small so reservation is important. Coming back!Special Features:
- greatsfoodieDined on 9/21/2014Great restaurant. Food was great. Pasta was incredible. Meat dishes good but not incredible. Great wine list. Good value for money.Special Features:
- My favorite Italian restaurantcatnip1960VIPDined on 9/20/2014I've eaten here several times this year and each time has been an amazing experience. The restaurant is small so it's a little tight and getting a 'good' reservation is a bit challenging but it's worth the fuss. The food is some of the best I've ever had and the staff is very attentive and knowledgeable. I've brought different friends each time and all have enjoyed it, as well.Special Features:
- ImpeccablevicsrecipesDined on 9/16/2014The atmosphere has a zen-like simplicity. It is a beautiful space with comfortable chairs, crisp white tablecloths, and sparkling glasses. The food was flawless, without a single misstep. The Negroni was executed to perfection, and the wine, recommended by the waiter, was luscious. I am already dreaming about my next visit. As we could only get a reservation for 5:30 p.m., the restaurant was not crowded, and the noise level was low so I can't speak to what it would be like at 8:00 p.m. But even if it were noisy, it would not change my opinion. I am ready to go back!Special Features:
- Best Italian in NYCKDA1Dined on 9/8/2014One of my absolute favorite restaurants in the city. Everything is perfect. Get the Spaghetti cacio pepe and the fried artichokes. And a salad to start - they are all spectacular.Special Features:
- Never AgainItaliaVIPDined on 8/22/2014At one time this was the spot for amazing Italian cuisine. Not anymore. Wine list is over priced the food is sub par at best. If you like chopped frozen spinach with no flavor or frozen peas order the sides. The only thing I recommend would be the drinks.
- An un fava rable experienceScottoDined on 8/16/2014Based on all the reviews, I was very excited to try it out. But the main dish that everyone raved about, the fava bean pasta, they didn't even have. The waiter said they couldn't find any fava beans that day. Whaaaat? Everything else was mediocre. Then at the end, the waiter brings us a $205.00 bill, but the itemized bill was for only $74.00. We didn't even get an explanation for the discrepancy. I really wanted to like this place. Too bad.Special Features:
- Fresh, simply prepared delicious!AndreaCVIPDined on 8/10/2014Small, intimate and very no nonsense. This Tuscan gem serves everything at its best. The tomatoes on the caprese salad were bursting with sweet flavor. The mozzerella was spongy, wet, fresh and incredible. House lasagna is superb, each layer delivering a jolt of the light meat sauce. Cornish hen was so tender. Generous portion fed me for 2 days. Deserts were great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I heart I SodiKDIHEARTNYCVIPDined on 8/3/2014One of the best low key authentic Italian spots in NYC! The food is super clean and consistent and its the one place I must visit upon every visit to the city. The house made gluten free pasta w cacio e pepe is divine and I have no idea how they make the steamed spinach but it melts in your mouth. Artichoke salad is beyond. I can't say enough wonderful things about this West Village gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AcedDined on 7/31/2014My favorite NY restaurant,but this night was lacking in service and the food was questionableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lroose333Dined on 7/22/2014This place is a gem. Food is outstanding. One of our favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/22/2014Lovely food and excellent service . Low key , but special .
- Outstanding experiencetravelerDined on 7/13/2014We had an outstanding experience dining at I Sodi. Food, service, atmosphere, decor--everything was great! Will be coming back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definition of a Hidden Gemaj454VIPDined on 7/11/2014Places like this do not exist in New York anymore. The food is simply prepared and amazing. The prices are reasonable. The service is polite and reserved. The location is off the beaten path and feels like a find. In short, if you are looking for a wonderful, romantic meal, you need to check out i Sodi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I Sodi never disappoints!passione11VIPDined on 7/7/2014I dined at I Sodi for two Mondays in a row and these were my luckiest Mondays in July! we started with appetizers of zucchini carpacchio and a special of roasted carrots and beets. Who knew that simple vegetables would transform into a beautiful and delicious beginning course. The fava beans and fresh spaghettini dish was magical and light and I ate it both Mondays after dreaming about it all week!! The paccheri special with an heirloom tomato sauce was equally as delightful. The best part of our experience was Charlie our waiter. We asked him to choose our wines and his choices were superb. His professionalism and care for his work are refreshing and admired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely be backjfnycmiamiDined on 7/5/2014We stayed away too long, but will definitely be back soon. The Negronis are the best anywhere...enjoy the fact that you can have 1/2 size portions...the pasta with favre beans is wonderful as is the risotto cime di rapa. the service was by the owner Rita Sodi who makes everyone feel welcome and her hands on attention makes this restaurant a winner. AND, you can carry on a conversation here, which is getting to be a rarity in restaurants all over the world.Special Features:
- The following 459 reviews are from the I Sodi reviews archive.
- Wait TimeJohnDined on 6/30/2014We had to wait 40 minutes to be seated, it is a small place and they overbooked. They did clear a space for three at the bar, which was nice, but the smoothness with which they did this (after saying we would be seated in a few minutes), and the fact that the bartender obviously expected us to order our dinner from, and eat at, the bar (he brought out and laid down full dinner service) suggests that this is the standard approach to what is likely frequent overbooking. We declined to order food from the bar and said we would wait for our table, and came close to leaving at the 30 minute mark. Having said that, the service was otherwise excellent and very personally attentive, and the food was just perfect for all three of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond Big ExpectationsBackAgainDined on 6/22/2014Recommended by close friend - and still, we were impressed. I spend two/three months a year in Florence and I Sodi did not disappoint in any way -- A total pleasure and looking forward to returning. Half orders of risotto cacio e pepe, pasta con aglio e olio, pasta with fava pesto - all fresh and extraordinary - and shared T-bone steak - wonderful. Panna cotta, house made gelato and biscotti - perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CFMcGVIPDined on 6/20/2014Contemporary flair blends with classic, rustic Italian dishes at i Sodi. Both the bar and small dining room are perfect for couples, where chatter of great food and company spreads throughout the room. The lasagna is a wonderful staple, with about 30 rich, but not heavy, layers. As is the lightly fried artichoke to share. And whereas Scott Conant is famous for his spaghetti pomodoro, i Sodi deserves equal fame for its cacio e pepe pasta & risotto. On the cocktail side, you're welcome to the best negroni menu in the city, with a compact, yet delicious wine list. It starts around $75 on the low end, but they've curated some great choices that are well worth it across their selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/16/2014My boyfriend and I visited I Sodi on a Monday evening. We were immediately greeted upon entering, and seated right away (I had made a reservation). The staff was attentive and helpful throughout the entire evening which only made the evening better. We ordered three courses, the first was a half portion of the ravioli which was light and delicious. We then had the cacio e pepe risotto which was also very good. The last course was the cornish game hen which was cooked perfectly. We had such a lovely experience that we booked our next reservation before leaving the restaurant.Special Features:
- Great recommendationawrightcharlieDined on 6/16/2014I Sodi was recommended to me by the friend of a friend. I'm normally sceptical of such suggestions because they have proved to be hit and miss unless I know the person well. But in this case I was delighted. So much so that I want to go back in the next few days to see how it is for lunch. The room is clean and simple and avoided the twin perils of prevention or grunge all too common elsewhere in the city. The service was attentive but understated. The food was as good or better than I have enjoyed even in Italy; in particular the cacio e pepe was just right and avoided the excessive saltiness I have found even in otherwise very good restaurants. And the waiter helped me pick a perfect wine to go with the food. What a find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The local go to dinner spotRJSTPSDined on 6/13/2014We love I Sodi has a relaxed, but sophisticated feel. The food is delicious. Many dishes come in small or large portion, but I have never been able to tell the difference they both seem the same size. The Pasta is light and delicious. You can't go wrong with anything on the menu though. Service is right on not pushy, but always available. Great for a couple or a party of four. I wouldn't want to bring a large group it's more intimate feel. The bar is a good alternative if you can't get a table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I Sodi - Fabulous!456lovegoodfood456Dined on 6/12/2014This was a first time, delightful birthday dinner pick for two. We shared delicious, interesting food, in an ambiance quiet (enough) to have a comfortable conversation, great wine ("The best Manhattan cocktail I've ever had"), friendly, well-informed service. Generous portions, fairly priced. The initial presentation whole wheat and white sourdough accompanied by one of the tastiest olive oils I've ever had set the perfect tone. Lovely and tasty assortmentgrilled vegetables; spinach ravioli in sage and butter sauce chock full of spinach, delicate and rich at the same time; grilled mackerel was simple and elegant. I'm not a huge potato fan, but their browned, crunchy and soft potatoes were out of this world. I will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good but ..OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/9/2014good but did not overwhelm. very tight space, had to wait to be seated for reservation. service was polite but seemed stretched - gaps between visits were not well spaced. most importantly the food was just ok - nothing really stood out.
- Local GemITALDNDined on 6/6/2014Thus far, the best Italian food in the West Village / Only restaurant we have gone back to in NYC numerous timesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not the samedorisVIPDined on 5/31/2014Very disappointing, We took various friends here over the years but now I would not recommend the way I did.Special Features:
- disappointingLindaDined on 5/29/2014This restaurant was recommended by friends who used to live in the area, so we booked it online several weeks ago. We enjoyed the ambience, service and wine.however the food was disappointing. My friends whole chicken was dry and bland. My pasta was tasty but only just luke warm. Unfortunately we have enjoyed other meals more in New York.
- Great placeHawaiibasedDined on 5/25/2014This was my second visit to I Sodi and I must say I love going there. Service was great and so was the food. Menu changed a little but they still provided one of the dishes no longer on the menu. Matthew was our server and he did a great job explaining the dishes to us. Loved the spinach ravioli and lasagna with leeks and steak as well. Finished the meal off with a pannacotta with blueberries and a couple of gelattos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/24/2014A wonderful gem, this small and cozy place welcomes you with wonderful food, service and a bar which offers great selections as well.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/23/2014I Sodi is a gorgeous little gem that serves lovely house made pastas, tuscan style antipasti and the perfect negroni. Sadly our server was on the rude side and rushed our experience. I sincerely hope that is not the norm. i would like nothing more than to give this restaurant 4 or 5 stars but I can not due to the rude service. alas...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- autentic cusine, gracious ambiancesydiebeeDined on 5/19/2014It felt and tasted like an authentic small restaurant in Milan or Florence. Very gracious with seriously delicious food. The ambiance was perfect, the service gracious and the noise level humane. I can't wait to return. It's not easy to get a reservation, but many happy walk-ins were dining at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spotNYDinerVIPDined on 5/9/2014Love this place. Everytime I come (rather, when I can get in) I am so happy with the choice! It is worth the effort to get a seat, as the food and drinks are great, and served efficiently in a very relaxed and cozy setting.Special Features:
- ernieDined on 5/9/2014As close to actually being in Florence as you're going to getSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service good foodGAFNYCVIPDined on 5/7/2014Service was first rate. Pasta dishes were amazing. Entree dishes nothing special. Go for the pasta !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.