Hy's Steakhouse Encore
Vancouver, BC V6C 2G3Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: CAN$51 and over
Hy's Steakhouse Encore
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hyssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 6046837671
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Thank you for choosing Hy's Steakhouse. Should your plans change or you have any questions, please let us know. We look forward to serving you
A word from Hy's Steakhouse Encore
One only needs to enter the cozy establishment to realize the extent to which Hy's adheres to tradition. The polished mahogany walls, ornate bar, solid furnishings, and art have been lovingly maintained since they were first installed in 1962. And, with minor exceptions, the menu remains unchanged, featuring the finest Canadian Prime beef and seafood, not to mention Hy's sublime cheese toast.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Hy's Steakhouse Encore - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Hy's Steakhouse Encore reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (71)romantic (57)notable wine list (39)fit for foodies (28)good for groups (22)great for lunch (9)neighborhood gem (8)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- retro styleBrianHDined on 9/12/2014Still the best steakhouse in Vancouver. Exceptional service, especially from John, our waiter. You would be hard pressed to find better steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Traditional Steak HouseLadybugcecVIPDined on 9/8/2014Hy's Encore is a great old style traditional steak house, by old style I mean dark wood and leather and dim lighting, it's really kitschy and I love that. The service is fun, they make a lot of the items table-side, or at least do some of the presentation at your table, it's fun. The servers were great - amazing wine list and really great cocktail menu. We had a lovely time. Try the chateaubriand for 2 - delectable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BeefnoodleDined on 9/5/2014I had the mixed grill and it was one of the best (possibly the best) I've ever had. Cheese bread is a must for every visit. Fresh oysters were good but the only regret was that some broken shell pieces fell on the oyster meat. Overall very good.Special Features:
- Tradtional SteakhouseBuckmeisterDined on 8/31/2014Everything about Hy's says tradition. From the dark wood paneling and portraits on the wall to the selections on the menu - where else can you find classic dishes like chateaubriand or beef wellington? - Hy's is through and through a traditional steakhouse. If that's what your in the mood for, this is the place for you. Our steaks were excellent cuts, and well-prepared. The service was also very good, any questions or requests promptly answered.Special Features:
- Enjoyed!YumMyDined on 8/30/2014Service was amazing. Sautéed prawns were spectacular. Both my boyfriend and I really enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greeter not too friendlychuckDined on 8/28/2014The general experience is great. The servers are knowledgeable and helpful. The food quality and temperature are both superb. The only complaint is that the female greeter isn't friendly and did not have any smiles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PENDERDOUGpenderdougDined on 8/27/2014You can't go wrong with this place. I've been going for over 15 years, and have never had a complaint (and I'm quick to do so if appropo!) It's a great place for either taking your loved one, or a client. Attentive service, but not annoying (the right balance, in other words).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak is not very good.ChipandDaleVIPDined on 8/25/2014The last time we came here, we were disappointed with the service and the food. We thought we give it another try. But we were still disappointed. We ordered steak tartare. Our friend likes hers not spicy. We like ours spicy. As they didn't make it separately, we have to eat the steak tartare not spiced to our liking. Previously, they will mix them separately. The three steaks we ordered are chewy. My husband and I ordered medium rare, closer to medium. The steak were rare. The best food here is their garlic cheese bread. But I'm not sure I want to come back just for the toast.Special Features:
- Top Notch Food & ServiceBellaDined on 8/23/2014From appetizers to deserts ... everything was awesomely great. Especially the Baked Sea Bass was the best I've ever had. Service was friendly and on the ball for all your needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BMlikegoodfoodDined on 8/22/2014Best steak and cheese bread. Best place to be for special occasion, romantic dinner or dinner with friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice scallop and filet mignonsmallfishVIPDined on 8/22/2014scallop so tender. medium rare filet meltable in mouth. nice and tasteful art works for decoration. Sense of age is charm. Services are polite and nice, especially the valet parking guy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hy's is a Vancouver TreasureCartierGirlDined on 8/21/2014Hy's is an elegant lunch spot for friends and a distinguished location for dinner. Wonderful Old World ambiance is combined with exceptional food & service. I am a fifth generation Vancouverite and a third generation Hy's customer .... Hy's is always a luxurious and fulfilling experience. My latest discovery is the Key Lime Pie, without a doubt, the best I've had anywhere!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A truly steakhouseChargerDined on 8/21/2014No disappointment....still the best place for steaks and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, but loud and slow..Aliciac04Dined on 8/20/2014My fiance and I love to dine in 'fabulous' restaurants. We don't mind paying top dollar for great service and exquisite food. At Hy's Vancouver the venue itself, is gorgeous! the food was undeniably exquisite, but the rest of the experience felt unpolished.. Our waiter was very lovely, although extremely busy while other men in suits walked around looking regal and seemed to be pointing at things he was behind on. E.g: It would have been helpful if they'd taken our drink orders (& delivered our drinks) rather saying our cocktails were at the bar & would be brought soon. The dining room while beautiful, was very loud, so it wasn't the romantic evening we had planned, but it was a good experience and the Steak & Lobster, insanely delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionLucBenoitDined on 8/17/2014Food was amazing, service was impeccable, ambiance was lovely, definetely one of those special steakhouses and worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingHeidiDined on 8/9/2014We wouldn't go back. The new appetizer on the menu was awful and had to be returned. The steak was not done as ordered. Everything was desperately ordinary. Certainly not worth the premium price tag.
- Great Anniversary Dinnerember1Dined on 8/9/2014We had a great meal - Jeff was our waiter and he was great- attentive without being intrusive.Special Features:
- Classic SteakhouseRickVIPDined on 8/8/2014Nondescript building that can easily be passed by, the interior evokes memories of your grandfather's favourite place to eat. The service is well paced and friendly without coming across as chummy. The options prepared at your table are worth exploring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love itnikki2dineDined on 8/8/2014I love this place. Wonderful food, sweet drinks, and friendly service. Banana foster is a must order. Table side steak service is fun to watch. Even seafoods are mouthwatering. Oh, remember to start you meal with cheese toasts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A mistake to go to a ripe off placeHidChargeDined on 8/8/2014I booked this place for lunch because I like steaks. It’s just a quick lunch for 3 of us. 2 apps, 2 steaks and a lunch special. All that is about $135.00 I am OK with this except the waitress added on extra charge for the steak sauce. This is the first time I got charged for the sauce every in any steakhouse. I asked her. She was rude and said "are you ok with the charge?" that she did not tell me. I am not happy and she did not do anything. So we pay the bill and left.
- Mmust visit.LuvvancounverDined on 8/7/2014My wife and I went to Hy's for our 10th anniversary. The service and the food was excellent. Most meals there are made right at the table. Our waiting was actually very funny and added to the experience.Special Features:
- An Event to rememberOutofthenorthDined on 8/7/2014From being greeted by a friendly valet/doorman, to the delightful server, and finalized by a meal to remember, this birthday dinner was a huge success. The reputation of this steakhouse is well deserved.Special Features:
- Very disappointingDawnaDined on 8/6/2014My husband and I treat ourselves to dinner at a high-end steakhouse several times a year. This time, we travelled from Victoria to have dinner at Hy's Encore. Although we initially intended to dine at Gotham's, we liked that Hy's cooks their steaks over a charcoal grill, so changed our plans and reserved at Hy's. We were terribly disappointed in the quality of the steaks. The rib steak was very thin, and so overcooked (well done, instead of medium rare) that we sent it back. The steak that returned was not a rib steak (looked and tasted like sirloin) and was no improvement. Our server was professional and apologetic, but the overall experience was very poor and we definitely would not return.Special Features:
- Date NightJustinDDined on 8/5/2014We had date night at Hy's, as we often do, and as usual it was everything we expected and more. The atmosphere was just perfect and we managed to get the corner table we had never sat in (which is now our favourite spot). Dan our waiter was just outstanding, he looked after everything and help make our evening memorable and the cheesebread, ceasar salad and rib-eye were all to die for. Thanks Hy's for a wonderful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/3/2014I was really disappointed with the atmosphere and the food. We started with the "famous cheesy bread" which was something I could have made better at home, it is just bread done in the oven with a slab of cheese melted on it. My bf ordered the steak and it was smaller than expected. I ordered the lamb and although it was good it was nothing over the top and I think I have had it better at home. There was nothing stand out for me about this restaurant for me and we personally felt ignored by our server probably because we were a young couple so he didn't think we would leave a good tip. That is one of my biggest pet peeves. Anyways if you want a good steak dinner I would try somewhere else that is not so over priced for the same quality.
- Fun, but not greatBowenerDined on 8/2/2014This place is charming in its own way. Very retro with the table side prep of the Caesar salad and all. The decor is midway between a gentleman's club and a mausoleum. Very pleasant and attentive service, but on the night I was there with my son, the steak was simply not up to par. When I asked about the steak, my server said it was aged for 28 days, and she could not tell if it was dry aged or not. I suspected it was not. My 60 dollar porterhouse (shared with my 10 year old son) was not bad on the filet side, but kind of tough and grisly on the sirloin half. Even my son commented "wow, this is really chewy!" Our server sensed our displeasure and brought a cheesecake slice later. Fun night, but won't be back. Skip the cheese toast...
- John though..NottooimpressedDined on 7/31/2014My family and I have always thought this restaurant was our "special spot" because it is supposedly rated #1 steak in Vancouver and we've enjoyed it the two previous times we've been there. Though pretty quiet and a good interior, the food and especially the service was off. The caesar salad is usually good but John (our server who made the salad in front of us) but way too much anchovy sauce in it. The food also took over an hour so most of the food was warm at best being mostly cold. When John our server asked us how our food was and we told him our issues, he replied with "Sorry it's not perfect". John really made this what was supposed to be a fantastic experience to an overpriced undesired dining experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/29/2014Our waiter Tim was excellent as was the food etc. will certainly return for another special occasion!Special Features:
- Not worth the pricevaluedinrDined on 7/22/2014The steak and lamb were okay. They were not cooked to proper order, probably because our senior server probably didn't hear us well. We only went here because we were given gift cards. $21 for an add-on? Yeah..right.
- Best Steakhouse in VancouvergreatlunchVIPDined on 7/18/2014We loved the restaurant. The service was excellent and the food was delicious. We had Beef Carpaccio as an appetizer and truly enjoyed it. The steak melted away on your tongue, the baked potatoes was fabulous and I have never had a better cauliflower gratin. We really enjoyed our romantic dinner.Special Features:
- bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014The host did say thank you while I was leaving the restaurant. Bad service.
- Nice and quietVisitingfromsocalDined on 7/14/2014Food is a bit average. Stay away from the special steak sauce which ruined our steaks, unless you think heinz57 is a great addition to a $50 steak.Special Features:
- BelleDined on 7/11/2014My friend and I always have our birthdays and Christmas celebration at Hy's. My only comment on the food was a bit salty (Caesar salad) and the halibut is dry and also bit salty (next time will ask them not to make it salty). The staff give very good service & friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, great servicegregv99Dined on 7/5/2014Love Hy's for it's old-school ambiance, so I was very relieved that the recent renovations did not take away from that. The food and the service were both great, as always; attentive but not intrusive. The table-side preparations are my fave, and again Hy's didn't disappoint! The table-side steak Diane (not on the menu as far as I could see, found out it was available on my previous visit) was incredible. And of course the cheese bread is worth the visit alone. Great martinis as well. Looking forward to doing it again!Special Features:
- Great Steak, as AlwaysFoodieVIPDined on 7/3/2014This is a legendary steak house and they don't disappoint. The halibut my wife had was also excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth every cent!BobgourtBobDined on 7/2/2014Hy's is the kind of place you take that special someone on an important occasion, or your family when celebrating something. The ambiance is inimitable in Vancouver, something high class strait out of a yesterdecade. It's very quiet and the tables are well spaced. Would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- Just as I remembered itBillPDined on 7/2/2014We have not visited Hy's for years. I don't know why but the esperience was great and it is just as I remembered it from years ago. Good steak house food and very good service.Special Features:
- CassDined on 7/1/2014My wife and I go to Hy's a few times a year for special occasions and have never had a bad experience. The food and service is exceptional. So glad there are no blaring TV's in the place! Love the atmosphere there. We also use the gift certificates we purchased at Costco. Highly recommend you buy these when available as you save twenty dollars on the purchase of a hundred dollars in gift cards. Great deal!Special Features:
- Five starsMuncherDined on 6/26/2014Ambiance and service is second to none, wine list is extensive with a neat Ipad App making choosing wine fun, steaks are of course as good as they can be.Special Features:
- Was not at usual Hy's standardAConACDined on 6/26/2014My partner's 14oz NY was thinly cut and (visually) underweight; it came slightly over-cook than medium-rare as ordered, steak was drenched and overpowered by excessive Hy's sauce. she struggled and managed to consumed half of her meal. My 16oz Rib Steak was cooked the way I ordered (rare) but fair amount of fat had to be trimmed off in pile, it was a bit of unsightly works. It was a one off, that won't deter us from visit them again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.