Hy's Steakhouse Encore
Vancouver, BC V6C 2G3Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: CAN$51 and over
Hy's Steakhouse Encore
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hyssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 6046837671
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Thank you for choosing Hy's Steakhouse. Should your plans change or you have any questions, please let us know. We look forward to serving you
A word from Hy's Steakhouse Encore
One only needs to enter the cozy establishment to realize the extent to which Hy's adheres to tradition. The polished mahogany walls, ornate bar, solid furnishings, and art have been lovingly maintained since they were first installed in 1962. And, with minor exceptions, the menu remains unchanged, featuring the finest Canadian Prime beef and seafood, not to mention Hy's sublime cheese toast.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Hy's Steakhouse Encore - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Hy's Steakhouse Encore reviews from OpenTable diners
118 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (84)romantic (62)notable wine list (54)fit for foodies (40)good for groups (26)great for lunch (13)neighborhood gem (9)hot spot (5)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- rockdoctorOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014We held a small retirement dinner for one of our group - 8 people. Service was very good, food was excellent as was the wine selection. The entrance is very unobvious so make sure you know where it is if it is your first time or if you are meeting people there who have not been there before. It was a bit warm when we first arrived but it gradually cooled down to a pleasant temp. Wait staff was very obliging in allowing us to split the bill several equal ways.Special Features:
- Almost perfect!GreatEatsDined on 10/17/2014Food-delicious. Staff-welcoming, personable and courteous. Atmosphere-Upbeat, lively, cozy but not too loud. Almost PERFECT- Only problem was the wait. For the price of the food, I feel you shouldn't have to wait almost 25 minutes when you have reservation. We were offered a seat in the lounge while they waited for our table to become available, but no one even offered us a drink or asked us what we would like while we waited. Don't get me wrong, the food is delicious, but when you're paying 200$ + on dinner for 2, I expect not to wait unattended for that long when you have reservations. However, maybe just a one time hiccup... Will still continue to go back, as once we were seated, everything was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Revisiting Hy's1FussyladyDined on 10/17/2014My best friend and I recently decided to have our annual birthday lunch at Hy's. After going through all the downtown restaurants we could think of - we finally thought of Hy's - a classic. Neither of us had been there for years and we were delighted as soon as we walked through the doors and into the lovely, comfortable, inviting atmosphere. Classic and just as we remembered it. Our waitress was very warm, friendly and kind. We particularly enjoyed the table side food preparation which seems to be a lost art. If you are in the mood for first class service and a wonderful throw back to gentler times and great food - Hy's is the place. We will definitely back and highly recommend it for a quiet, elegant, delightful experience.Special Features:
- Classic steakhousePistolDined on 10/15/2014I've eaten at a lot of steakhouses across Canada and the US, and Hys ranks up there as one of my faves. The ambiance is great, the food is delish, and the service is always personable.Special Features:
- HerbDined on 10/14/2014It was our anniversary and our waiter made it a special night. Loved the caeser salad made up at our table. All in all made for a memorable night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experiencedinner101Dined on 10/10/2014I brought my girl friend to the restaurant because it was her birthday. We had a fantastic experience at the restaurant. I called the restaurant a day earlier to see if they could prepare a birthday surprise dessert for my girl friend. They had it all planned out for me and did not charge me a single penny for the dessert. We did not have any wine for the dinner as neither of us were fond of having wine that night. But I did notice they have a pretty good wine selection for those who preferred wine. Overall, it was a great experience at the restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/10/2014Always have a great dining experience but our server John made it that much better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic Steak HouseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/9/2014Great service. Great food. Solid wine list. Traditional old-style steak house that never looses its appeal!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty steaks and wineValorkDined on 10/4/2014Enjoyed a dinner here but wasn't wowed. We ordered the table side cooked steak dinner and were underwhelmed when the food was brought out already cooked only to be reheated in a frying pan for us. Really don't understand what the point of this was. Luckily the steak did still taste great though which is why I give the 4 stars. Ambience wise I still prefer Gotham though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our First Timejgc40Dined on 10/4/2014Visited HY's for the first time. The food was very good. Perfectly cooked steaks and appies all served on hot plates. Cocktails were also nicely made. The "famous" cheese bread is not worth ordering though... Expect a big bill at the end of your meal. Very expensive. Overall, very nice for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Sweet nostalgiaasiantravellerVIPDined on 9/29/2014I took my old friend (of 35 years) to Hy's on Monday the day before his retirement and return to Japan. Over the years, we have enjoyed meals here many times and the food, the service and the room have stayed virtually the same over all these years, so Hy's was the perfect spot for our farewell meal. An "old standard" and always perfect!Special Features:
- Excellent night!grannykatDined on 9/27/2014Another wonderful dinner and great meal and service!!!!Special Features:
- FIRST CLASSWelshiesDined on 9/23/2014The service, from the moment we entered the building, was top notch. The food was utterly delectable and Tim, our server, was both attentive, polite and knowledgeable. He didn't make us feel as though we needed to rush our meal, even though there only one other party in the restaurant after we left. Karen, the hostess, was delightful. We would definitely recommend and can't wait to visit again on our return to Vancouver in 2016!Special Features:
- Best service!SweetArtbakeryRoxyDined on 9/19/2014We got the best service!! Our waiter, Blair, was so kind and knowledgable not to mention funny and entertaining . The steaks were amazingly delicious! The ambiance was very nice. I would defintely go again :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE the Cheese BreadOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/16/2014I have going to Hy's for 30 years and I am never disappointed. Great Caesar Salad at the table.Special Features:
- what happened?JamesDined on 9/16/2014Hy's was one of our favorite Vancouver restaurants until our latest experience. The menu has changed, but it still has a great variety. You can no longer select your preferred potatoe, as the Chef will decide what potatoe is best suited for your selected meal. So, instead of my preferred fries, I received 2 nugget potatoes, boiled & cold. My fillet was cooked much less than medium and not hot. Actually, at least 2 of our meals (6 in total) were not hot. Also, the portions seemed to have been larger in the past. The Steak Dianne was very small (2 small, thin fillets). A major disappointment, given that Hy's food was always excellent. Very expensive for the lack of quality received this time. The waiter was great!Special Features:
- Best. Steak. Ever.MorganDined on 9/15/2014Wonderful steak, great service, awesome wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- retro styleBrianHDined on 9/12/2014Still the best steakhouse in Vancouver. Exceptional service, especially from John, our waiter. You would be hard pressed to find better steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Traditional Steak HouseLadybugcecVIPDined on 9/8/2014Hy's Encore is a great old style traditional steak house, by old style I mean dark wood and leather and dim lighting, it's really kitschy and I love that. The service is fun, they make a lot of the items table-side, or at least do some of the presentation at your table, it's fun. The servers were great - amazing wine list and really great cocktail menu. We had a lovely time. Try the chateaubriand for 2 - delectable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BeefnoodleDined on 9/5/2014I had the mixed grill and it was one of the best (possibly the best) I've ever had. Cheese bread is a must for every visit. Fresh oysters were good but the only regret was that some broken shell pieces fell on the oyster meat. Overall very good.Special Features:
- Tradtional SteakhouseBuckmeisterDined on 8/31/2014Everything about Hy's says tradition. From the dark wood paneling and portraits on the wall to the selections on the menu - where else can you find classic dishes like chateaubriand or beef wellington? - Hy's is through and through a traditional steakhouse. If that's what your in the mood for, this is the place for you. Our steaks were excellent cuts, and well-prepared. The service was also very good, any questions or requests promptly answered.Special Features:
- Enjoyed!YumMyDined on 8/30/2014Service was amazing. Sautéed prawns were spectacular. Both my boyfriend and I really enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greeter not too friendlychuckDined on 8/28/2014The general experience is great. The servers are knowledgeable and helpful. The food quality and temperature are both superb. The only complaint is that the female greeter isn't friendly and did not have any smiles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PENDERDOUGpenderdougDined on 8/27/2014You can't go wrong with this place. I've been going for over 15 years, and have never had a complaint (and I'm quick to do so if appropo!) It's a great place for either taking your loved one, or a client. Attentive service, but not annoying (the right balance, in other words).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak is not very good.ChipandDaleVIPDined on 8/25/2014The last time we came here, we were disappointed with the service and the food. We thought we give it another try. But we were still disappointed. We ordered steak tartare. Our friend likes hers not spicy. We like ours spicy. As they didn't make it separately, we have to eat the steak tartare not spiced to our liking. Previously, they will mix them separately. The three steaks we ordered are chewy. My husband and I ordered medium rare, closer to medium. The steak were rare. The best food here is their garlic cheese bread. But I'm not sure I want to come back just for the toast.Special Features:
- Top Notch Food & ServiceBellaDined on 8/23/2014From appetizers to deserts ... everything was awesomely great. Especially the Baked Sea Bass was the best I've ever had. Service was friendly and on the ball for all your needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BMlikegoodfoodDined on 8/22/2014Best steak and cheese bread. Best place to be for special occasion, romantic dinner or dinner with friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice scallop and filet mignonsmallfishVIPDined on 8/22/2014scallop so tender. medium rare filet meltable in mouth. nice and tasteful art works for decoration. Sense of age is charm. Services are polite and nice, especially the valet parking guy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hy's is a Vancouver TreasureCartierGirlDined on 8/21/2014Hy's is an elegant lunch spot for friends and a distinguished location for dinner. Wonderful Old World ambiance is combined with exceptional food & service. I am a fifth generation Vancouverite and a third generation Hy's customer .... Hy's is always a luxurious and fulfilling experience. My latest discovery is the Key Lime Pie, without a doubt, the best I've had anywhere!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A truly steakhouseChargerDined on 8/21/2014No disappointment....still the best place for steaks and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, but loud and slow..Aliciac04Dined on 8/20/2014My fiance and I love to dine in 'fabulous' restaurants. We don't mind paying top dollar for great service and exquisite food. At Hy's Vancouver the venue itself, is gorgeous! the food was undeniably exquisite, but the rest of the experience felt unpolished.. Our waiter was very lovely, although extremely busy while other men in suits walked around looking regal and seemed to be pointing at things he was behind on. E.g: It would have been helpful if they'd taken our drink orders (& delivered our drinks) rather saying our cocktails were at the bar & would be brought soon. The dining room while beautiful, was very loud, so it wasn't the romantic evening we had planned, but it was a good experience and the Steak & Lobster, insanely delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionLucBenoitDined on 8/17/2014Food was amazing, service was impeccable, ambiance was lovely, definetely one of those special steakhouses and worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingHeidiDined on 8/9/2014We wouldn't go back. The new appetizer on the menu was awful and had to be returned. The steak was not done as ordered. Everything was desperately ordinary. Certainly not worth the premium price tag.
- Great Anniversary Dinnerember1Dined on 8/9/2014We had a great meal - Jeff was our waiter and he was great- attentive without being intrusive.Special Features:
- Classic SteakhouseRickVIPDined on 8/8/2014Nondescript building that can easily be passed by, the interior evokes memories of your grandfather's favourite place to eat. The service is well paced and friendly without coming across as chummy. The options prepared at your table are worth exploring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love itnikki2dineDined on 8/8/2014I love this place. Wonderful food, sweet drinks, and friendly service. Banana foster is a must order. Table side steak service is fun to watch. Even seafoods are mouthwatering. Oh, remember to start you meal with cheese toasts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A mistake to go to a ripe off placeHidChargeDined on 8/8/2014I booked this place for lunch because I like steaks. It’s just a quick lunch for 3 of us. 2 apps, 2 steaks and a lunch special. All that is about $135.00 I am OK with this except the waitress added on extra charge for the steak sauce. This is the first time I got charged for the sauce every in any steakhouse. I asked her. She was rude and said "are you ok with the charge?" that she did not tell me. I am not happy and she did not do anything. So we pay the bill and left.
- Mmust visit.LuvvancounverDined on 8/7/2014My wife and I went to Hy's for our 10th anniversary. The service and the food was excellent. Most meals there are made right at the table. Our waiting was actually very funny and added to the experience.Special Features:
- An Event to rememberOutofthenorthDined on 8/7/2014From being greeted by a friendly valet/doorman, to the delightful server, and finalized by a meal to remember, this birthday dinner was a huge success. The reputation of this steakhouse is well deserved.Special Features:
- Very disappointingDawnaDined on 8/6/2014My husband and I treat ourselves to dinner at a high-end steakhouse several times a year. This time, we travelled from Victoria to have dinner at Hy's Encore. Although we initially intended to dine at Gotham's, we liked that Hy's cooks their steaks over a charcoal grill, so changed our plans and reserved at Hy's. We were terribly disappointed in the quality of the steaks. The rib steak was very thin, and so overcooked (well done, instead of medium rare) that we sent it back. The steak that returned was not a rib steak (looked and tasted like sirloin) and was no improvement. Our server was professional and apologetic, but the overall experience was very poor and we definitely would not return.Special Features: