Hy's Steakhouse - Winnipeg
One Lombard Place, Main Floor Richardson Bldg
Winnipeg, MB R3B 0X3Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: CAN$51 and over
Hy's Steakhouse - Winnipeg
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hyssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: (204) 942-1000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm. Closed on Sundays in August.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Frank Vadacchino
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Why not make Hy's part of your own "Hockey Night In Canada"? Complimentary parking, dinner at Hy's, a quick 10 minutes walk undergound to the MTS Center, then back to Hy's for a nightcap to celebrate the win! And all without braving the elements...a great night all around!
- Cross Street: Portage & Main
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a multi-level parkade 1/2 blocks past Hy's on the right hand side. Take the elevator or stairs to the concourse level and follow signs to Hy's. We offer complimentary parking after 5 PM. Please ask the hostess or server for parking validation card.
A word from Hy's Steakhouse - Winnipeg
Hy’s Winnipeg is a local favorite since 1958 now located at the famous corner of Portage and Main. Hy’s offers 2 levels of dining for lunch and dinner in a modern warm atmosphere. So if it’s in the stunningly warm cocktail lounge or a quiet corner of the restaurant that you’re looking to enjoy “tender steaks and stiff drinks” Hy’s is the place to be.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Hy's Steakhouse - Winnipeg - Best Restaurants in Winnipeg ›
Hy's Steakhouse - Winnipeg reviews from OpenTable diners
76 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (60)romantic (45)notable wine list (29)good for groups (24)fit for foodies (15)great for lunch (9)neighborhood gem (6)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- bgmanDined on 11/14/2014Great location - excellent food - superb service. All together a fine dining experience. Will go back soon and will recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A dining pleasureGaryCoVIPDined on 11/10/2014The seafood and the strip steak entrees were excellent. The service was very attentive but not interruptive. The salads were top notch!Special Features:
- Not enough foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2014My fiancé and I came here for our anniversary this year, normally we go to 529 Wellington but we thought we'd try something different. We got the chateaubriand for two and calamari as an appetizer. The serving sizes were not large enough and we left still hungry even though we had spent $150. If you're looking for a good steak spend your money at 529 instead. Same (if not better) steak and you will leave full
- Fabulous again!UnclepaulyDined on 11/7/20144 of us went for my birthday. Great experience. Waiter had some great wine recommendations! Steaks we awesome, cooked to perfection! For us overall 5 stars!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet, romantic fine dining eveningkentekDined on 11/7/2014We arrived right on time and was greeted by two friendly hostesses that led us directly to our table. It was in a very quiet and private location as I had requested. An older, professional server appeared and answered our questions and informed us that as we arrived at an early time of the evening (5:00 pm) that a special events menu was available at a greatly reduced price compared to the main one and included salad, main course and a desert. The normal menu was a la carte and would have been much more costly. The meal, service, ambiance all contributed to a wonderful, romantic evening for my partner and myself. We had a gift card that was accepted at full value even though it was almost a year old. We were very pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hy's SteakhouseDebbieDined on 11/1/2014The service, food and overall experience was great. A very enjoyable anniversary dinner.Special Features:
- Perfect night outTonyZeruchaDined on 10/31/2014The perfect evening for a much needed night out. Every staff member was professional and first rate. Denny added to the evening with his recommendations and conversation while serving.Special Features:
- Classdinewpg2Dined on 10/25/2014Hy's always keeps it classy yet comfortable enough to relax with good friends and enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceFoodie1990Dined on 10/25/2014Our experience at Hys was wonderful. We were well taken care, the food was amazing and the ambiance was great. I would definatly recommend Hys to all my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GB40Dined on 10/23/2014Everything was excellent; the food, service and the environment. A great spot for a business lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- specialdateDined on 10/20/2014the waiter took extra care to make sure we were happy from entering to leaving we were treated special hostess, parking, waiter, bus man, leaving were all specialSpecial Features:
- Wonderful 40th anniversaryJoyceinthepegDined on 10/18/2014We took my husband's parents out to celebrate their 40th anniversary. The steak was so tender I could cut it with a fork. Great service, lovely atmosphere. Be prepared to pay more than most steak houses. However, for a special occasion, it is worth the money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BestDined on 10/18/2014Great food and service with Hys...for the past 6 years experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantasticer1makvDined on 10/10/2014The food was outstanding!!! The service was great. Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special CelebrationFour4dinnerDined on 10/10/2014Our evening at Hy's was a gift for my parents who mean the world to me. As such, my husband and I wanted it to be something memorable. Hy's certainly hit the mark with outstanding food and service and a warm, rich atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A ClassicJamesVIPDined on 9/30/2014A classic dining establishment of a highly successful Steakhouse chain. Having been to most of if the locations throughout Canada, this is one of the best ones within the chain. Great beef and wonderful wines!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hy's is great!LovegoodfoodDined on 9/29/2014The food and service was fabulous!! It is a higher end restaurant so was a bit pricey but was well worth it. We were celebrating our anniversary and received a dessert on the house. Our overall experience was top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food - service a little slowJayleonDined on 9/26/2014Took us a very long time to order and an even longer time to get our food. On a date with my wife but took 2.5h from time we got there till the time we paid. Servers were very busy ... Likely not enough staff.Special Features:
- LuvlemonsDined on 9/26/2014I love that you get the entertainment from the waiter making your salad and bringing your choices for baked potatoes. I ordered the Neptune dish am requested medium but my steak came out rare and the crab meat wasnt as impressive as the description. But overall my self and two other partner had great time and the food is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- oopsoopsDined on 9/26/2014We were very impressed with the level of service, our waiter was outstanding !! This was a special evening for my husband and I as we live in a small community and do not get out for a nice dinner very often, food was excellent ! Unfortunately, we had a glass of wine spilled at our table, but the staff was there before we could blink an eye or be embarrassed, they had cleaned it up and quickly replaced soaked food items, amazing !, we truly felt they went above and beyond !!! Thank you !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PEMMDDined on 9/19/2014I have dined at Hys many times over 40 years and I enjoy it very much. I enjoyed yesterdays meal. But the new menu disappoints me. Some of the deletions sadden me - the Seared Ahi Tuna and the Brocettes in particular. Also, the up charge for the previously included garlic toast and stuffed baked potato is a disappointment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect for a quiet dinnerallesmDined on 9/12/2014courteous and knowledgeable staff help to create a special eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful.CheersWpgDined on 9/11/2014Napkins placed on your lap, chairs pulled out, coat checks and knowledgable waiters. The service is impeccable. My company had spilled drinks and waiters quickly attended to, quick to remove all embarrassment! A fancy place with beautifully plated dishes. I had the scallops and jumbo shrimp which were absolutely delicious. Our waiter knew his wines and was thoughtful and courteous. This place truly knows how to give you a dining experience, and our food came out within ten minutes. From what I heard from others, the sirloin is a real treat. And their pistachio creme brulee was to die for! It was tough not to lick the plate clean. Hy's only hires the best, because they truly do make you feel like royalty. Absolutely Wonderful!Special Features:
- Enjoyable eveningDiningout1Dined on 9/6/2014We celebrated our anniversary with our adult kids (which I had mentioned on OpenTable when I booked) and they greeted us with Happy Anniversary, gave us a dessert on the house and generally made us feel special, but not over the top bothering us. The food was very good - we all had steak - was just a bit disappointed with the caesar salad - had heard it was wonderful, but the romaine was limp and not very tasty - the dressing was good. The desserts (our special one) and the banana foster were both excellent. It was a very nice anniversary evening - the service from everyone we encountered was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing wine list!NotthatfancyDined on 8/25/2014We were really impressed with the wine list and the service. The portion size of the appetizers was depressing. For almost 18.00 we'd like more than half a piece of toast, a thimball of cheese and a few small pieces of salmon artistically placed on a plate. The entrée of Chateaubriand was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Service Made the EveningjjjgmckayDined on 8/23/2014Laurence (our server) was excellent! The food was great, a little overpriced but I realize you pay for the experience as well.Special Features:
- husband's 60th birthday dinnerDiscerningdinerDined on 8/22/2014We really enjoyed our romantic dinner on Friday evening. We were celebrating my husband's 60th birthday. It was a lovely evening. We shared a delicious made from scratch Caesar salad which was delicious, and was served with hot garlic toast. Then shared an order of escargot, also piping hot and delicious. We both ordered the Filet Mignonette Neptune. It was a perfectly cooked (medium rare as requested) filet, topped with King Crab, fresh asparagus, and hollandaise sauce. Very delicious! Then they brought us a lovely chocolate tart filled with chocolate mousse and a candle for my husbands birthday. A lovely evening. Service was thoughtful and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FeanaFeanaDined on 8/21/2014Great place, very good food and amazing service. we enjoyed every minute being there, time just flew without noticing. Thank You for the great Dinner.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinner disappoitmentTommyDined on 8/16/2014Our 40 th and we had high expectations. Was very specific when ordering our steak and when they arrived I cut into mine and the blood juices were flowing. My steak had been grilled on one side to the desired order turned over with almost the order blue (VARY RARE) and as our server did not appear any where near I started to eat from the edges (the thinner more done) and was enjoying the potatoes and veg's. My wife's order was done to her liking and as ordered med rare and yet mine was much rarer than hers and I order mine medium after much discussion with our server. It was only after I had almost finished my potatoes + veg's the gentleman who brought out our meals from the kit I showed him the rare order. waiter came by then. too late
- Hy's SteakhouseBonBonDined on 8/8/2014Lovely dinner, great steaks, ceasar salad was outstanding, as was the cheesecake.Special Features:
- Great service mostly average food.OverallgudeveningDined on 8/1/2014Our waiter James was great. We lacked for nothing, yet he was never bothersome. The filet minon was good, but just good. Best part of the meal was the French onion soup which was very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced for the qualityDinearound2Dined on 7/26/2014Service is great bit the prices are ridiculous for the quality. 21 for a glass of wine where the bottle is 18 in store is outrageousSpecial Features:
- Tremendous ServiceTheupnorthQueensDined on 7/25/2014My husband and I received a gift certificate for dinner at Hys. Our dinner was wonderful even though my rack of lamb was too rare. Our waiter William was super understanding and we were treated to dessert on the house and we're not required to pay for my meal....even though I didn't complain and would have just paid without saying anything! Would visit again and recommend to our friends!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 505 reviews are from the Hy's Steakhouse - Winnipeg reviews archive.
- Birthday celebrationsWpgKlipperDined on 7/12/2014We celebrated 2 birthdays at Hy's on a Saturday evening. Our server, Paco, made it a very enjoyable dinner with his assistance and personality. The food was fabulous and plentiful. And the surprise Birthday Cake was great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed!NewbiesDined on 7/11/2014We had lunch here and were very pleased with lunch menu. Fresh pickerel, tender pepper steak, quiche Loraine. YumSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DateNightfor2DateNightfor2Dined on 7/9/2014The restaurant was rich looking. Food and service was excellent. Very romantic place for a date and quiet enough to be able to talk. Have been here for a group function also. Always good service and great food. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not wowedBElanaNDined on 7/7/2014I will start by saying our service was excellent. However every dish we ordered was below par. We got 4 appetizers to start and of the 4 the oysters Rockefeller was the top pick. The escargot, mussels, and ahi tuna did not impress. The steak neptune was the real disappointment. My filet mignon was very salty, just the meat itself. The neptune sauce on top was dry and crusty and the crab tasted ultra fishy. The asparagus were thick and woody. I ordered fries with my meal because I was told they were homemade, they tasted stale, like they were from a frozen bag forgotten in the back of a freezer for years! I am probably being more critical because of the high hopes I had, but I've paid 30 dollars for a much better steak. Hy's is not worth it.Special Features:
- Retirement DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/5/2014The manager accommodated us so that we could have a private room for our party of 8 and it was wonderful. We were fortunate enough that the restaurant was not that busy during our visit and we had top notch service. We never had to ask for anything, they were on top of everything. The only negative would be the loud music coming from the lounge below. We were told that the restaurant was quite slow (because of the beautiful weather outside) so I'm not sure why there was music pumping for an almost empty lounge. I don't think our group was exactly quiet so for my father to comment over us, it must've been loud. All in all, a great dinner and we would definitely return.Special Features:
- New Best EverhollendaisehoneyDined on 6/28/2014For many years I have told friends and family where the best steak in my life was had. After having enjoyed the steak Neptune at Hy's, I can confidently say that this is now my new best steak ever. Even though the crab meat was almost non existent, I couldn't have savoured the steak more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent AgainDiningContentDined on 6/27/2014Perfect for those special occasions You always get what you pay for Great service Great food Will go for the Jumbo Lobster & the Pecan Pie every timeSpecial Features: