Hy's Steak House - Toronto
101-120 Adelaide Street W.
Toronto, ON M5H 1T1Neighborhood:
Downtown/ Financial District
SteakhousePrice: CAN$51 and over
Hy's Steak House - Toronto
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hyssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 4163646600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Cocktail lounge : Monday - Friday 11:30 AM - 11:00 PM and Saturday from 5PM - 11PM .We are Closed for regular service on Sunday. If you have an inquiry regarding a special event on a Sunday please call Chris Meyer at 416 364 6600
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Saku Velummylum
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Hys is happy to accomodate take out requests. Please call the restaurant for more information
- Entertainment: Hy's sumptuous cocktail lounge features live piano from 6:30 pm, Monday through Saturday. Sink into one of the cozy leather sofas, signature martini in hand, and relax to the sounds of old favorites, and contemporary classics.
- Special Events: Hys can accomodate any sort of special event, anyday of the week. Please contact Chris Meyer for further information.
A word from Hy's Steak House - Toronto
Hy's Toronto has everything you could expect from a classic steakhouse in an elegant, upscale atmosphere. At the entrance, the sleek and elegant lounge lures with the promise of perfectly chilled martinis. And each unique dining area is more beautiful than the last, from the front room, centred by the famous steak grill, through the open and light-filled atrium to the intimate mezzanine with cozy fireplace and mahogany wine cabinets. Our white coated servers will guide you with professionalism and good humor, and our award winning wine list will tempt you with well chosen labels from around the world. Sink into a plush banquette, enjoy our famous cheese toast and a caesar salad, prepared in the dining room, then savor one of the classic cuts of Canadian Prime beef...and you'll remember why Hy's has been a Canadian favorite for over fifty years.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Hy's Steak House - Toronto - Best Restaurants in Downtown/ Financial District ›
Hy's Steak House - Toronto reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (59)romantic (48)notable wine list (35)fit for foodies (21)good for groups (19)great for lunch (12)neighborhood gem (8)hot spot (5)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- A top 5 all-time dining experienceDmeier2Dined on 10/3/2014Went for my wife's birthday and hys delivered. Of course the steaks were perfectly cooked, portions were generous, and the service excellent, but the table side Caesar salad was outstanding. Best salad we've had. Restaurant is gorgeous with dark wood and leather abounds. Great lounge before or after with live piano and old fashioned (good) cocktails. Great place for client dinner, special occassion or just the steaklover, we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic steak houseclassicDined on 10/3/2014Great decor and layout. Great steak perfectly cooked. Surprised on the number of diners. Construction outside intimidatingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedLeafswonDined on 9/27/2014We have been going to Hy's for over 40 years and this trip was the last. Decor was drab and mundane. Waiter was at first pushy then inattentive. First appetizer was slow arriving and over cooked, the second wasn't even the one ordered. Not once did our waiter check back to see if everything was fine. Service was extremely slow and to top it off the coffee tasted burnt. We were glad to get out of there.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Have been here a few times. Everything is great but the service seems to be going down on every visit, it can definitely improve compared to other steak houses. The first few times were great. Also, the sides could be improved…they were not as tasty this time compared to the last few times. Excellent ambiance.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014Food was excellent. Steak was done perfectly, very tender, and great taste. Shrimp cocktail and onion soup were top of the line. Service was excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyDined on 9/8/2014We had an amazing experience dining at Hy's. This was our first time dining there. We will definitely be back sometime. The steaks were fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- averageAngelaxoxoDined on 8/30/2014Went here for my boyfriends birthday. I made reservations and specifically asked for a cozier table, when we arrived we were seated at the table closest to the door which also happened to be a high traffic area. I still don't know who my server was. No one ever approached us and said "my name is this and I'll be your server". To sum it up. It wasn't anything special. If it had been a normal dinner it would have been OK but I specified that it was a event I had planned to impress and it wasn't anything spectacular. Especially for the +200 bill for 2 people. The food was OK. Service was OK. Ambiance from my high traffic, cold table was OK. I wouldn't recommend this place to my friends for an occasion. Maybe a quick dinner or lunch.Special Features:
- Atmosphere was InvitingspecialDined on 8/30/2014Have always enjoyed experiences at Hy's...the atmosphere is always inviting, good service, food often prepared at the table. Found this last visit to be less desireable due to high prices and the food had a predominant salty taste. The escargot needed more garlic and the Chateaubriand for two was way too salty. Wine list is extensive but very expensive.Special Features:
- Not up to parmagoo07Dined on 8/29/2014This is normally one of our favourite places to go whenever we are in Toronto. However, this time both myself and my wife were quite disappointed in the quality of the meal. Normally the food is excellent but this time it was absolutely tasteless. We will probably go back as this surely was an aborition but if it happens again, Hy's will be removed from one of our favourite places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodTonyPDined on 8/27/2014The steaks were very nice with the accompaniments. Service was good, even though he pleaded with my girlfriend to get her steak cooked medium instead of well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old School CharmdtkuoDined on 8/27/2014They've taken the decor and ambiance of old school steak house and injected it with a modernized flare that makes it bigger than life. Although it is dim, I really loved how cozy and comfortable it felt. We didn't dine in the back room but where we did, it was nice and quiet and gave my company and I the opportunity to talk. The food was amazingly well executed and even the dessert was excellent. The only "complaint" I would have about the steak is that there isn't a wider selection of cuts. However, you might not really need any other cuts because there is a good variety of steak cuts available. The service is attentive without being overbearing and the server was able to make excellent recommendations and knew the products quite well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great place to entertainOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/19/2014For the past 10 years, it's still in my Top 3 list of places in the financial core that I can rely on when I have to entertain work associates that don't have a need to get bottle service and chase skirts for the night. Knowledgeable and talented bar staff, friendly but formal service, and overall excellent food.Special Features:
- Client VisitMoogleDined on 8/12/2014Great atmosphere, elegant but a bit dated. Old world charm can be spruced up a bit. Server were great but we found that the water was being topped up way too often causing distraction from a business conversation. Server should request whether table wants to help themselves to water rather than keeping at topping up glasses. The food was great and portion more than generous. I recommend the steak salad.Special Features:
- Menu changeLuvoffoodDined on 8/9/2014My wife and I have been going here for years now and we were a little disappointed to find out that the menu has changes. The food was great, however the changed the rack of lamb and it is good but it was great before. Other then that, the service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as AlwaysPlymouthMISamDined on 8/9/2014I love this place. Both the food and the service were outstanding. It is not an inexpensive dinner, but it is well worth every penny you spend there.Special Features:
- Worth the money!!FoodieAshDined on 8/8/2014Went here for my boyfriends birthday and the food was phenomenal. We ordered the cheese bread, Cesar salad, sautéed spinach, onion rings, bone in rib steak and a Hy's Only strip. All really good. They had just changed the menu but still accommodated us and let us order some things from the old menu. Very attentive servers. Overall good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good steak-house.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/31/2014The food was prepared according to what we requested and was very good. however I thought that the NY Strip Loin was a little tough considering the price. Overall, the service was excellent and the wine list superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014Food was great, prices were fair. Service was amazing. I will definitely go back. Ps the porter house was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- opentableVIPDined on 7/16/2014I was very disappointed with the lamb chops. 2 of 3 were dry and too well done for the most part even tho I asked for medium-rare. I was expecting something better than Mortons or Ruth's Chris, but didn't get it.
- Pleasant & ProfessionalGoodNiteOutDined on 7/15/2014Hy's has a very pleasant atmosphere and very good professional staff. Food is attractively presented and good to excellent quality. Steaks and shrimp were perfectly cooked. The wine list offers an excellent diversity and reasonable prices. The use of a tablet to present the wine list is a great idea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent49erfanDined on 7/12/2014My last visit was 8 years ago and Hy's is still a great restaurant with impeccable service and food.Special Features:
- Great choicerobtan1027Dined on 7/12/2014I chose Hy's for my anniversary dinner. The restaurant was an overall great choice. The food was great, the service was excellent, and the ambiance was romantic. I would definitely return to and recommend Hy's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent steak.danielfiskerDined on 7/4/2014Had a gentleman's dinner with a good friend who's getting married soon. Wanted a place where a great steak was avail, and also a quiet setting. Hy's did a perfect job - food, drinks, service. Everything was well timed and arrived perfect to the table. Our 2nd martini was better than the first, wine presentation was good, and food was perfect. Definitely recommend Hy's for a quiet, proper dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I celebrate everything here416HonkeyDined on 7/4/2014Hys classic atmosphere and old - timey, super accommodating service makes them my favourite restaurants (I have been to the Ottawa location as well as Toronto). Bit more expensive than the Keg but experience is EVERYTHING the keg is not. When I want to celebrate something over a nice dinner, my pick is Hy's because you just don't get genuine, professional service, amazing food and a stunning setting like this anywhere else I've ever been. It's like something from a movie. Take me with you when you go!! :)Special Features:
- Old World and CharmingVinceDined on 6/28/2014I really enjoyed the ambiance - dark wood panelling and high ceilings. Service was excellent and the food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing server - very attentiveskinnylatte40VIPDined on 6/27/2014Our server was fabulous - knowledgable, attentive, all around decent guy. Food was delicious. Ambiance a nice, quieter alternative to the pretentious downtown hipster scenes.Special Features:
- Good, but not greatBigBadWolfpackDined on 6/27/2014I travel to different city every year with a group of friends to see a MLB game, drink and eat well. We find a great steak place each visit and thought we found a good one with Hy's. 3 out of 4 of our steaks were not up to par. I got the Bone-in "Rib Steak", Canada's (or Hy's) version of a Bone-in Ribeye. The steak was very thin (little less than a 1/2") and surprisingly under cooked. I should have asked about the approximate thickness of the steak before ordering, maybe that was my fault. The service was great, except for the "water glass fillers" constantly refilling our water glasses every time we took one sip (really annoying). One suggestion, order the caesar salad if you get salad, it was awesome, about the best I've ever had.Special Features:
- an old school classicsteakloverVIPDined on 6/24/2014had the beef tacos for lunch with pickeld beet and cabbage - hot sauce - amazing !!! super tender beef and great flavours.... caesar salad needed a tad more dressingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 544 reviews are from the Hy's Steak House - Toronto reviews archive.
- Anniversary DinnerslippersDined on 6/21/2014We had a wonderful time, the atmosphere was private, the service was excellent. Often but subtle and not annoying or intrusive. The food was outstanding!Special Features:
- Good restaurantIlovegoodfoodDined on 6/20/2014Ambience is very nice. But food is not outstanding for the price. I liked the way they prepare the salads in front of the table. Presentation was nice and service was very good. But they did not have the steak that my friend ordered, and should have gave a complimentary or discounted price for the inconvenience, as they did not advise us until after taking our order. I enjoyed Morton's steak better.Special Features:
- One of the best steak houses!!VCB89VIPDined on 6/10/2014I enjoyed every minute from the second I walked in, to the second I left. They treat you with such respect. Very friendly staff. Best margarita I have ever tasted. The food was incredible! Extremely pricey, but also completely worth it. Great for special occasions, or to bring clients!Special Features:
- great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/7/2014the service was attentive and made excellent suggestions. they made us feel like we were the only ones in the restaurant which we were not. we look forward to returning and having another great experienceSpecial Features:
- WaiterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014Our waiter was incredible ,it was a special occasion for my daughters graduation from university and he made it the perfect nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hy's was awesomeCookieMonsterDined on 6/6/2014Little hard to find as it's tucked away. It was pretty slow for supper but guess it usually is on weekends. The service was top notch as with the food. Definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fernando and LisaGuitar13Dined on 5/31/2014We enjoyed our experience at Hys. From the valet parking at a very reasonable rate to the "made in front of you" ceasar salad. Service was very good with a very knowlegable server (Angel). I highly recommedn Hys as a great dining experience.Special Features:
- Great experienceHollywoodDined on 5/30/2014My wife and I enjoyed our night out, great overall experience.Special Features:
- Looks can be deceivingPaigeReaderDined on 5/29/2014They have the right idea and it looks like a classic American steakhouse: dark wood, globe lighting, wall stacked with wine bottles. The service was friendly and attentive. The food was disappointing. I was really looking forward to classic Oysters Rockefeller. The Pernod-flavored Hollandaise sauce was odd tasting and detracted from the oysters' flavor. The filet mignon was shot through with gristle. The creamed spinach was not bad. The cheesecake was just … well, sad. People who are enthusiastic about this place just don't know any better.
- Place is nice butYiya14Dined on 5/27/2014Nice place but nothing out of the ordinary. Striploin was softer than filet mignon And 20$ cheaper. So not pleased with the quality of the food. But service was amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Far below expectationClau66Dined on 5/27/2014Hy's is famous of steak. We were so disappointed by its quality. We ordered filet mignon and "the only" NY ATRIP. It's just very average. Not worthwhile at the price they charge. It's a quiet place for business lunch, that's it. Won't go back.
- Wonderful steakDaveandAllisonVIPDined on 5/24/2014Extensive wine list, though a bit overpriced. Our server, Chad, was friendly and very helpful. We went on a Saturday night, so it was quiet and intimate. Steaks were cooked to perfection. The Caesar salad is made at the table, and is excellent. Crème brule is not bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.