Hy's Steak House - Toronto
101-120 Adelaide Street W.
Toronto, ON M5H 1T1Neighborhood:
Downtown/ Financial District
SteakhousePrice: CAN$51 and over
Hy's Steak House - Toronto
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hyssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 4163646600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Cocktail lounge : Monday - Friday 11:30 AM - 11:00 PM and Saturday from 5PM - 11PM .We are Closed for regular service on Sunday. If you have an inquiry regarding a special event on a Sunday please call Chris Meyer at 416 364 6600
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Saku Velummylum
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Hys is happy to accomodate take out requests. Please call the restaurant for more information
- Entertainment: Hy's sumptuous cocktail lounge features live piano from 6:30 pm, Monday through Saturday. Sink into one of the cozy leather sofas, signature martini in hand, and relax to the sounds of old favorites, and contemporary classics.
- Special Events: Hys can accomodate any sort of special event, anyday of the week. Please contact Chris Meyer for further information.
A word from Hy's Steak House - Toronto
Hy's Toronto has everything you could expect from a classic steakhouse in an elegant, upscale atmosphere. At the entrance, the sleek and elegant lounge lures with the promise of perfectly chilled martinis. And each unique dining area is more beautiful than the last, from the front room, centred by the famous steak grill, through the open and light-filled atrium to the intimate mezzanine with cozy fireplace and mahogany wine cabinets. Our white coated servers will guide you with professionalism and good humor, and our award winning wine list will tempt you with well chosen labels from around the world. Sink into a plush banquette, enjoy our famous cheese toast and a caesar salad, prepared in the dining room, then savor one of the classic cuts of Canadian Prime beef...and you'll remember why Hy's has been a Canadian favorite for over fifty years.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Hy's Steak House - Toronto - Best Restaurants in Downtown/ Financial District ›
Hy's Steak House - Toronto reviews from OpenTable diners
81 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (57)romantic (48)notable wine list (38)fit for foodies (19)good for groups (17)great for lunch (10)neighborhood gem (8)hot spot (5)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Always a great place to entertainOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/19/2014For the past 10 years, it's still in my Top 3 list of places in the financial core that I can rely on when I have to entertain work associates that don't have a need to get bottle service and chase skirts for the night. Knowledgeable and talented bar staff, friendly but formal service, and overall excellent food.Special Features:
- Client VisitMoogleDined on 8/12/2014Great atmosphere, elegant but a bit dated. Old world charm can be spruced up a bit. Server were great but we found that the water was being topped up way too often causing distraction from a business conversation. Server should request whether table wants to help themselves to water rather than keeping at topping up glasses. The food was great and portion more than generous. I recommend the steak salad.Special Features:
- Menu changeLuvoffoodDined on 8/9/2014My wife and I have been going here for years now and we were a little disappointed to find out that the menu has changes. The food was great, however the changed the rack of lamb and it is good but it was great before. Other then that, the service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as AlwaysPlymouthMISamDined on 8/9/2014I love this place. Both the food and the service were outstanding. It is not an inexpensive dinner, but it is well worth every penny you spend there.Special Features:
- Worth the money!!FoodieAshDined on 8/8/2014Went here for my boyfriends birthday and the food was phenomenal. We ordered the cheese bread, Cesar salad, sautéed spinach, onion rings, bone in rib steak and a Hy's Only strip. All really good. They had just changed the menu but still accommodated us and let us order some things from the old menu. Very attentive servers. Overall good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good steak-house.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/31/2014The food was prepared according to what we requested and was very good. however I thought that the NY Strip Loin was a little tough considering the price. Overall, the service was excellent and the wine list superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014Food was great, prices were fair. Service was amazing. I will definitely go back. Ps the porter house was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- opentableVIPDined on 7/16/2014I was very disappointed with the lamb chops. 2 of 3 were dry and too well done for the most part even tho I asked for medium-rare. I was expecting something better than Mortons or Ruth's Chris, but didn't get it.
- Pleasant & ProfessionalGoodNiteOutDined on 7/15/2014Hy's has a very pleasant atmosphere and very good professional staff. Food is attractively presented and good to excellent quality. Steaks and shrimp were perfectly cooked. The wine list offers an excellent diversity and reasonable prices. The use of a tablet to present the wine list is a great idea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent49erfanDined on 7/12/2014My last visit was 8 years ago and Hy's is still a great restaurant with impeccable service and food.Special Features:
- Great choicerobtan1027Dined on 7/12/2014I chose Hy's for my anniversary dinner. The restaurant was an overall great choice. The food was great, the service was excellent, and the ambiance was romantic. I would definitely return to and recommend Hy's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent steak.danielfiskerDined on 7/4/2014Had a gentleman's dinner with a good friend who's getting married soon. Wanted a place where a great steak was avail, and also a quiet setting. Hy's did a perfect job - food, drinks, service. Everything was well timed and arrived perfect to the table. Our 2nd martini was better than the first, wine presentation was good, and food was perfect. Definitely recommend Hy's for a quiet, proper dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I celebrate everything here416HonkeyDined on 7/4/2014Hys classic atmosphere and old - timey, super accommodating service makes them my favourite restaurants (I have been to the Ottawa location as well as Toronto). Bit more expensive than the Keg but experience is EVERYTHING the keg is not. When I want to celebrate something over a nice dinner, my pick is Hy's because you just don't get genuine, professional service, amazing food and a stunning setting like this anywhere else I've ever been. It's like something from a movie. Take me with you when you go!! :)Special Features:
- Old World and CharmingVinceDined on 6/28/2014I really enjoyed the ambiance - dark wood panelling and high ceilings. Service was excellent and the food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but not greatBigBadWolfpackDined on 6/27/2014I travel to different city every year with a group of friends to see a MLB game, drink and eat well. We find a great steak place each visit and thought we found a good one with Hy's. 3 out of 4 of our steaks were not up to par. I got the Bone-in "Rib Steak", Canada's (or Hy's) version of a Bone-in Ribeye. The steak was very thin (little less than a 1/2") and surprisingly under cooked. I should have asked about the approximate thickness of the steak before ordering, maybe that was my fault. The service was great, except for the "water glass fillers" constantly refilling our water glasses every time we took one sip (really annoying). One suggestion, order the caesar salad if you get salad, it was awesome, about the best I've ever had.Special Features:
- an old school classicsteakloverVIPDined on 6/24/2014had the beef tacos for lunch with pickeld beet and cabbage - hot sauce - amazing !!! super tender beef and great flavours.... caesar salad needed a tad more dressingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerslippersDined on 6/21/2014We had a wonderful time, the atmosphere was private, the service was excellent. Often but subtle and not annoying or intrusive. The food was outstanding!Special Features:
- Good restaurantIlovegoodfoodDined on 6/20/2014Ambience is very nice. But food is not outstanding for the price. I liked the way they prepare the salads in front of the table. Presentation was nice and service was very good. But they did not have the steak that my friend ordered, and should have gave a complimentary or discounted price for the inconvenience, as they did not advise us until after taking our order. I enjoyed Morton's steak better.Special Features:
- One of the best steak houses!!VCB89VIPDined on 6/10/2014I enjoyed every minute from the second I walked in, to the second I left. They treat you with such respect. Very friendly staff. Best margarita I have ever tasted. The food was incredible! Extremely pricey, but also completely worth it. Great for special occasions, or to bring clients!Special Features:
- great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/7/2014the service was attentive and made excellent suggestions. they made us feel like we were the only ones in the restaurant which we were not. we look forward to returning and having another great experienceSpecial Features:
- WaiterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014Our waiter was incredible ,it was a special occasion for my daughters graduation from university and he made it the perfect nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hy's was awesomeCookieMonsterDined on 6/6/2014Little hard to find as it's tucked away. It was pretty slow for supper but guess it usually is on weekends. The service was top notch as with the food. Definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fernando and LisaGuitar13Dined on 5/31/2014We enjoyed our experience at Hys. From the valet parking at a very reasonable rate to the "made in front of you" ceasar salad. Service was very good with a very knowlegable server (Angel). I highly recommedn Hys as a great dining experience.Special Features:
- Great experienceHollywoodDined on 5/30/2014My wife and I enjoyed our night out, great overall experience.Special Features:
- Looks can be deceivingPaigeReaderDined on 5/29/2014They have the right idea and it looks like a classic American steakhouse: dark wood, globe lighting, wall stacked with wine bottles. The service was friendly and attentive. The food was disappointing. I was really looking forward to classic Oysters Rockefeller. The Pernod-flavored Hollandaise sauce was odd tasting and detracted from the oysters' flavor. The filet mignon was shot through with gristle. The creamed spinach was not bad. The cheesecake was just … well, sad. People who are enthusiastic about this place just don't know any better.
- Place is nice butYiya14Dined on 5/27/2014Nice place but nothing out of the ordinary. Striploin was softer than filet mignon And 20$ cheaper. So not pleased with the quality of the food. But service was amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Far below expectationClau66Dined on 5/27/2014Hy's is famous of steak. We were so disappointed by its quality. We ordered filet mignon and "the only" NY ATRIP. It's just very average. Not worthwhile at the price they charge. It's a quiet place for business lunch, that's it. Won't go back.
- Wonderful steakDaveandAllisonVIPDined on 5/24/2014Extensive wine list, though a bit overpriced. Our server, Chad, was friendly and very helpful. We went on a Saturday night, so it was quiet and intimate. Steaks were cooked to perfection. The Caesar salad is made at the table, and is excellent. Crème brule is not bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night at Hy'sSirRobertDined on 5/24/2014From the moment we entered everything was perfect, we had requested a quite corner and were not disappointed. The food the wine the dessert all fantastic. The pampering service very special and all you could ask for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerSmithsDined on 5/24/2014We were given gift cards by my son & fiance for Christmas but waited for a special occasion to go. We decided our anniversary would be a good time. We are not used to going to such fancy restaurants, and were a bit nervous about it, but were pleasantly surprised. We were treated so wonderfully and the food was extremely good. From the time we got to the door we were treated wonderfully. Everyone was so friendly. Our waiter was extremely pleasant. All in all a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Great food and courteous staff.Koda1015Dined on 5/16/2014I had lunch at Hy’s with a dear friend and both of us are happy with the food, staff and ambiance. I will definitely come back. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hy's=graceful+delicious+reliableOnionheadDined on 5/14/2014I always enjoy lunching and dining at Hy's. The lunch menu is a good mix of tried and true Hy's and more modern and some very healthy plates. And reasonably priced. Worth the walk through the construction around it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consulDined on 5/13/2014WE DID ENJOY THE AMBIENCE AND FRIENDLY SERVICE BY VERY GOOD FOOD.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a wonderful place.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/8/2014The service was incredible and the food was delicious. Hard to ask for more. Truly the perfect place for a special occasion. Thanks to all.Special Features:
- Great place for dinner with friendsGemwhittDined on 5/2/2014Dined here on Friday night. Not too busy, which was nice. Piano bar was lovely for a pre-dinner drink. Menu was very good, nice selection of steak and non-steak options. Waiter was very good. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 525 reviews are from the Hy's Steak House - Toronto reviews archive.
- Wonderful Dinner and AmbienceCarolynDined on 4/26/2014We had not been to Hy's for many years and had forgotten what a wonderful atmosphere the restaurant has. We had a drink in the bar before dinner enjoying the piano player and singer. Everything about our meal was fantastic. Our server was excellent and she was very helpful and pleasant. We enjoyed tableside Caesar salad which was wonderful and a nice touch not seen very often anymore. Our steaks were cooked to perfection both rare and my Dad's medium. Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Enjoyable night outOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/26/2014The food was excellent even though it is pricey. Great for special occasions as the restaurant itself is quite nice! Would definitely return.Special Features:
- The steaks were awfulPunamVIPDined on 4/25/2014This time the steaks, filet a la hys were awful. Chewy pieces of fat embedded within the meat; too much mushroom sauce covering the steaks. Service was outstanding. Everything else we ordered was outstanding.
- Lost its wayBusinessHostDined on 4/17/2014The steak salad was soggy and unappetizing. The interior appeared tired and worn. The menu was not appealing. All together a sad experience in what was once a much better spot for business lunch.
- Great SteaksdkrnDined on 4/14/2014I made reservations for my fiance and I for his birthday. We had a great time. The food was excellent. The steaks were cooked to our preferences. The appetizer (garlic shrimp), side (mushrooms) and desert (cheesecake) were perfect for sharing. This is an ideal place for special occasions.Special Features: