Hy's Steak House - Toronto
101-120 Adelaide Street W.
Toronto, ON M5H 1T1Neighborhood:
Downtown/ Financial District
SteakhousePrice: CAN$51 and over
Hy's Steak House - Toronto
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hyssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: (416) 364-6600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Cocktail lounge : Monday - Friday 11:30 AM - 11:00 PM and Saturday from 5PM - 11PM .We are Closed for regular service on Sunday. If you have an inquiry regarding a special event on a Sunday please call Chris Meyer at 416 364 6600
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Saku Velummylum
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Hys is happy to accomodate take out requests. Please call the restaurant for more information
- Entertainment: Hy's sumptuous cocktail lounge features live piano from 6:30 pm, Monday through Saturday. Sink into one of the cozy leather sofas, signature martini in hand, and relax to the sounds of old favorites, and contemporary classics.
- Special Events: Hys can accomodate any sort of special event, anyday of the week. Please contact Chris Meyer for further information.
A word from Hy's Steak House - Toronto
Hy's Toronto has everything you could expect from a classic steakhouse in an elegant, upscale atmosphere. At the entrance, the sleek and elegant lounge lures with the promise of perfectly chilled martinis. And each unique dining area is more beautiful than the last, from the front room, centred by the famous steak grill, through the open and light-filled atrium to the intimate mezzanine with cozy fireplace and mahogany wine cabinets. Our white coated servers will guide you with professionalism and good humor, and our award winning wine list will tempt you with well chosen labels from around the world. Sink into a plush banquette, enjoy our famous cheese toast and a caesar salad, prepared in the dining room, then savor one of the classic cuts of Canadian Prime beef...and you'll remember why Hy's has been a Canadian favorite for over fifty years.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Hy's Steak House - Toronto - Best Restaurants in Downtown/ Financial District ›
Hy's Steak House - Toronto reviews from OpenTable diners
90 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (63)romantic (46)notable wine list (35)fit for foodies (23)good for groups (17)great for lunch (11)neighborhood gem (7)hot spot (5)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/13/2014Hy's is always very good and dependable and the service is excellent
- Nice ambiance for any occassion.KrystalnutVIPDined on 2/13/2014Nice ambiance for any occassion. Romantic outting or groups, all can be accomodated. Service was nice and fast. Before this visit i would have recommended the restaurant as I had a great experience there before. But after the birthday celebration disappointment, it is not one of my favourites.Special Features:
- Steak not as good as I rememberOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/11/2014Just a very average NY Steak. Could have done better at home with my bbq. Nothing special about it...Special Features:
- Hy's Continues to ShineIMPLEASEDDined on 2/7/2014I don't get to Hy's all that often but when I do it is always wonderful and consistent. The Food, Service and Ambience is and always has been outstanding. I requested a private quiet table for a nice evening with my girlfriend and the table was perfect. I would recommend Hy's anytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was pleasantly surprizedTheMajorDined on 2/7/2014Great food and service ... although the serving staff wear really goofy kitchen worker type outfits that need an update .. The meal was about 10 times better than I expected .. superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very poor steakGGarciaVIPDined on 2/5/2014For the price, the quality of my steak was extremely poor in quality. Other local steak houses give you a much larger better steak and for less. I will never go there again for steak. The service was very good.
- great food, great servicekimmythekimDined on 2/1/2014First time in a restaurant that fancy but loved every second. The service was top notch abd food was quick and perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/30/2014A great steak house with pros at every turn. Their staff are friendly, engaged and focused on giving you a memorable occasion. The steaks are juicy and cooked to spec. Superb flavour. I would encourage people to arrive early grab a drink at the bar and then go and eat. I dine out daily, and this place has never disappointed me. Strong management and leadership in the resto is apparent. People are their to make your experience memorable. Definitely a "cut-above" (no pun intended), most of the steak houses in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A cool spot to hang out & catch upFoodieVIPDined on 1/21/2014If you're looking for a great spot, that has some ambience, good food (a really great Mac & Cheese), and a reliable steak where you can talk and catch up with a friend - Hy's is perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelectableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/18/2014Elegant ambience, superb menu offerings, impeccable service (Steve) and incredible steaks. I had the striploin, hubby had the filet with gorgonzola and son had the surf and turf. Delectable all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it every timepatrickcroVIPDined on 1/10/2014We have made this a regular spot when we visit Toronto. A great combination of seafood and steak, super service, and an excellent atmosphere in downtown. We will go again!I would recommend this to a friend.
- BDAY surpriseJROCKDined on 1/4/2014excellent service from the front door on in to the table. Very knowledgable and friendly waiterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent musicOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/2/2014I was pleasantly surprised and amazed by krystal blue. It was soothing yet upbeat with tunes I knew and loved! Will come back again when they play.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceEricKarynDined on 12/31/2013We dined on New Years Eve 2013-14. Atmosphere is excellent, food was superb and the wait staff were fantastic. We believe this is the best steak and seafood place in all of Toronto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't Miss at Hy'sNameVIPDined on 12/20/2013we dine here regularly - sometimes on "datenight" , other times with friends, and other times with family - no matter what the occasion - we always have a wonderful time, fantastic food and great service.Special Features:
- Great Filet!RosepetalDined on 12/20/2013We were looking for a place close to our hotel that was quiet and had great food- Hy's scored very well on both points! It was a bit pricey but portions were generous and service was excellent. A bit dark to read the menu but bring along your phone flashlight and you'll get along swimmingly :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced under performerUnderwhelmedDined on 12/16/2013Our less than memorable evening began with very slow drink service in a barely occupied lounge.In the dining room we were seated beside a group of rather loud businessmen. This was unnecessary given the lack of patrons. The presentation of the appetizers was less than stellar-seared tuna on a cold plate with a couple of daubs of wasabi. My steak was satisfactory but the pepper sauce was somewhat tasteless. Yesterday's twice baked potato required a knife to cut and all of the baked potato garnishes to make it edible. My wife's lamb had a coating that made the meat unrecognizable as lamb and was overcooked. She did not finish it. With friends we consumed 2 bottles of wine primarily due to the slow service. All this for $400 per couple.
- great service ok foodsibyDined on 12/16/2013The food was disappointing since there are better steak restaurants available but the service was excellentSpecial Features:
- The best Prime Rib in Toronto.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/14/2013Service was attentive and very helpful on a snowy night in Toronto. Because of this storm we arrived late; however, our pre-Christmas reservation was honoured without any hassle whatsoever. Our waiters were unobtrusive and the appetizers & entrée of prime rib roast was one of the best during our visit to Toronto. Upon finishing, our receptionist arranged for a cab to take us back to the hotel. Thank you Hy's, we will reserve again upon our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great evening at Hy'slovefoodDined on 12/14/2013The service was perfect at Hy's. The wait staff were friendly and well informed about the food and wine menus. They were also accommodating to any changes that we asked to be made. I have a garlic sensitivity and the waitress made my Caesar salad with one quarter of the garlic that would normally be used. Our Filet Mignon's were cooked to medium-rare perfection and tasted delicious! Thanks for a GREAT night Hy's - and thanks for making it so easy to book our table OpenTable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cold foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/12/2013unfortunately, i do not like to send food back, however i should have Thursday evening as my entire plate of food was cold. Vegetables were hard and cold. The other two people at our table who ordered the same thing had excellent meals that were very hot.
- Great Food, Great ServiceLawrenceDined on 12/10/20131st time to eat at Hy's and they gave me a very good 1st impression.. We celebrated our 5th yr wedding anniversary here.. the staff are very friendly and accomodating..Special Features:
- Business at it's bestFrenchGourmetDined on 12/9/2013I invited an important guest visiting from overseas for a bit of business and general catching up over lunch. I wanted an upscale steak house with character, good food and friendly service. We were not disappointed. Although pricy, it was worth it and made for a memorable and most enjoyable time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little more variation inOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/2/2013A little more variation in sea food selection will be good. The valet service should be reinstated. Parking in downtown core is very inconvenient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good But not the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/30/2013Lets get the good out of the way. Service was outstanding! and because it was our anniversary they restaurant gave us Dessert for free. The ambiance was amazing and it was really romantic! But people go out to restaurants for the food. Me and my other got the Steak (New York strip for me and Filet Mignon for my other) I got it with Hy's steak sauce (which in its self was great) But what my main problem was the quality of the meat. Mine Had allot of fat and just tasted bland the sauce helped but for the rating of this restaurant I expected better. My other ordered one type of steak and got it but didn't get it with the advertised dressing( assuming the kitchen forgot) So she didn't like her fat filled steak. The rest of the meal was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionFlybynightDined on 11/29/2013I chose Hy's to celebrate my wife's birthday. We were not disappointed. The ambience, the service and the food itself were all outstanding. Overall? Memorable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A place for steak... OnlyRoyerDined on 11/27/2013Ceasar aalad made to the table with rusty pre-cut lettuce and no fresh garlic (garlic in oil). Baby back ribs tender but weird tomato sauce on top. French fries are frozen fries and tadted like flour. T-bone perfect. Creme brulée as well. Overprice for quality. You pay for downtown financial district attitude.Special Features:
- Great SteaksGabeDined on 11/26/2013Enjoyed our meal a lot. Service was exceptionally attentive. Food was beautifully prepared and served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedUnsatisfiedDined on 11/23/2013Every year my wife and I take our son to a different steakhouse in Toronto for his birthday. This year it was Hy's turn. From the beginning, it seemed the wait staff was in a hurry for us to leave. We felt rushed and after awhile they left us alone. In fact, we had the whole dining room alone. There was no one there with us. We can only assume that the place was bought out with a private party. The food was poorly prepared, not at all fresh, and very expensive compared to other, better steakhouses we have frequented. We will not recommend Hy's and we certainly won't be back.
- ExcellentCAB79Dined on 11/21/2013Hy's always surpasses my expectations. This is a great restaurant with excellent service. Our server, Chad # 2 was very engaging and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServiceCottonMouthVIPDined on 11/21/2013Dined at Hy's in Toronto for the first time in many years, found both food and service Excellent.Special Features:
- A very good steakhouse!JLDCEOVIPDined on 11/19/2013The Keg's big brother really delivers. Great service and a diverse selection of meat and seafood make it very appealing to all. The escargot was very good (traditional) and the sides big enough for 4 to share. The only disappointment was the tableside preparation of the bananas foster. Mundane and the pancakes were inedible. But still, a very fine dining experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic MealOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/16/2013My husband and I were in town and wanted to get a nice meal. We were seated in a quiet corner of the second floor overlooking the floor below. It was nice and private. The meal was fantastic. Everything was cooked perfectly. Our server couldn't have been nicer. All in all, a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treated like VIP'sMattDined on 11/16/2013We were welcomed right from the start and went into the piano bar where there was an amazing piano player and bass player. We had nice drinks and then went to our table in the upper level overlooking the restaurant. On opentable I said it was our Anniversary and they gave us free champagne to start and a nice dessert to share. Food was great: oysters, crab cake, steak neptune for mains, and wine. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorites for businessRobDDined on 11/13/2013One of my favorites for business lunches. Great steaks and a huge wine listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Favourite Toronto SteakhouseLuleeVIPDined on 11/6/2013Whenever we get into the City, Hy's is our first choice for a nice romantic dinner out. They never disappoint and the staff is so professional and friendly.... thanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EpicureansEPICUREANDined on 11/6/2013We were attending the Eagles concert and had dined at Hy's in the past; - good location for moving onto to the concert venue; but, most importantly - Hy's delicious cuisine and comfortable and private atmosphere were the main reasons we chose this establishment. We were pleased with the attentive, excellent service and all our meals (2 couples) were exceptionally good. We definitely would return and would recommend Hy's to our friends, Sincerely, R & DSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VGWinoDined on 10/26/2013Very good overall experience. High quality food and wine; steaks were cooked exactly as ordered, which isn't always as easy or common as you might think; excellent service. Only slight quibble is that the peppered steak really is encrusted with a lot of pepper. A little too much, IMO. I look forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightTorontoTravellersDined on 10/25/2013The service and the ambiance is amazing, food was good but didn't really blow us away. Would definitely go again.Special Features:
- AmazingJeremyDined on 10/25/2013Great service, great food. Our server Jay was amazing. Thanks jay. They really did make mine and my wife's anniversary a special night. Thanks again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.