Hy's Steak House - Ottawa
170 Queen Street
Ottawa, ON K1P 5E1Neighborhood:
Ottawa / Gatineau
SteakhousePrice: CAN$51 and over
Hy's Steak House - Ottawa
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hyssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 6132344545
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm Closed Sundays
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Matthew Illey
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Hy's Steak House - Ottawa
Hy's is one of Ottawa's oldest and most established restaurants. Filled with dark mahogany and centered around our glass encased charcoal fire pit, we offer a wide variety of menu items, specializing in Canadian Prime beef. Our ambiance is warm and comfortable, providing a great sense of privacy and Victorian charm. Whether you're a party of two or twenty, you will always feel like you're the only ones here.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Hy's Steak House - Ottawa - Best Restaurants in Ottawa / Gatineau ›
Hy's Steak House - Ottawa reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (38)romantic (28)notable wine list (19)fit for foodies (11)good for groups (5)great for lunch (5)neighborhood gem (3)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (1)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- a must for steak loversOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014without wine nor appetizers, I ended up with a $200 bill for three at lunch. Since it was for a special occasion, it was worth it.Special Features:
- Romantic eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Went on a "date night". I had the filet with Gorgonzola cheese and my wife had the pepper steak. Steaks seemed a little undersized actually, was expecting more. Also had the Caesar salad prepared at table side. Was garlicky but authentic. Very expensive! On a positive the service is absolutely first rate, truly professional.Special Features:
- Fjp1Dined on 9/30/2014The dining area was very dark with no option to increase lighting. Service was impeccable and friendly. Meat was "chewier" than it should have been. Food was slightly disappointing for the price. This was my first time here so I would try it againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service + great food= HY'SveryricoDined on 9/25/2014Went for my wife's birthday and we had a great server named Curtis who made our dinning experience from good to great. The food was fantastic ( as always) from the wine to the apps to the main course right down to the dessert (Creme brûlée). Thanks CurtisSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LennieDined on 9/19/2014This is a fine dining steak house but the pricing does not warrant the food portions and quality. Second and last visit $260.00 for a dinner for two ordering the most reasonable priced bottle of wine available was not good value for money.Special Features:
- High SocietyChefGeekDined on 9/13/2014If you want to dine amongst the elite of Ottawa, this is the place to do it! The menu has an excellent selection and the cuts of beef are fantastic. If you are brave, you can order the 22 oz (650 gram!) porter house. The wine list is very well selected and it's clear they have a very experienced sommelier in house. That said, this is not the place to come if you are frugal. Even a 10 oz New York strip was in excess of $25 but the service is top shelf. The servers are all extremely well dressed and quite knowledgeable. My only BEEF is that for those prices, those cuts of beef should be organic and from grass fed cows!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mixed feelingsduckconfitconnoisseurDined on 9/12/2014I ordered a duck confit, which was OK but not the best I had (note: I ask for duck confit wherever is available. The best ones so far are in Europe, specially in Paris and Budapest). The unusual beans as side did not match well with the duck. Wine list is extensive but highly overpriced. I know restaurants need to put a 100%-200% over store's price, but the one I had was way way far from that. A 10.00 wine for 40.00 is a bit overinflated. Waiters are very polite. They are well trained, except for serving wines (note: I observed similar behavior in other tables, so this is not related to the particular waiter). They put too much wine in the glass (approximately 1/2). Besides, wine glasses' quality is cheap, which means no crystal glasses.Special Features:
- Romantic EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Great Ambiance table side creation of certain foods, great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gastro experience and classOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Love HY,s. Had a big office celebration on my b'day 25 years ago ... had not gone in a long while...returned last year - still great... twice in last two weeks, when I entertained friends for special occasions. HY's did not let me down. Pricey but worth it - will definitely return. Waiter polite, professional, clean, unseen but very present. Thanks! Love HY's! JEFSpecial Features:
- Wonderful3botsDined on 8/29/2014We were celebrating our 18th wedding anniversary. Couldn't have asked for more. To our surprise, dessert was on the house.Special Features:
- Worth the price of admissionJamesStanLeeDined on 8/27/2014Celebrated my GF's birthday, very classy & upscale. Only drawback, I liked it better when it had a dress code.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodMarcPDined on 8/22/2014That was our third visit at Hy's & still they didn't disappoint. The food & service is always great although unfortunately, it is getting out of our price range for a meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A treat!TreatUrSelfDined on 8/16/2014Being from out of town, we make it a point to treat ourselves to a Hy's dinner when in Ottawa. Classic decor and atmosphere, very romantic to dress up for it!, great service and help with wine selection because there is so much great choices! Fun cocktails. The crabcakes appetizer was fantastic, tuna tartare was good. Amazing steaks as always and this time we tried the tomato-based special sauce which was a very good complement to the steaks. Classic cheesecake for dessert, nice end to a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Terrific food and great personal service, we were well taken care of by Terri, she was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still A Classic!FenderInOttDined on 8/14/2014Was looking for a nice restaurant downtown and could not make up my mind with so many choices. Noticed Hy's on Google Maps and thought.....Wow it has been a long time since I've been to Hy's. Was looking for a place where they do great steaks. The ambience was warm inviting and the tables are very comfortable & private. The menu is varied enough and offers many wonderful choices but steak is what they are known for. Joe our server was friendly, knowledgeable and added to our great experience. He made both the salad dressing, salad & steak right at the table which made for an entertaining show. The meal was absolutely deliscious, the steaks were cooked to perfection. We had a wonderful evening and great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank youSuzyQDined on 8/13/2014... for making me look like a great boss because my employees felt like they were treated like royalty by your staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing Meal for the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/6/2014Service excellent however the food was not so good this time around. Prime Rib was tough, Double cooked potatoes was under cooked, Sautee Mushrooms appeared to be cooked at a lower temperature not browned. Rockerfeller was changed into larger shells not as good as the smaller ones. Caesar Salad was perfect! Not what I expect from the HY's a disappointing meal. Did they change the cook? First time ever I must say in four years a meal did not live up to expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loutravelDined on 8/1/2014The website said there was valet parking available - there wasn't and apparently has not been for some time. We were given two menus - one had prices $2 per item higher than the other. However, the waiter only charged the lower prices. My feeling is that while the food/service is good, there are many other similar restaurants in Ottawa whose prices are not so extremely high. A Kir Royale cost $16 each - really!! We used to enjoy treating ourselves to this restaurant once in a while but the lack of convenient parking and the ridiculous prices have given us second thoughts.
- Average Steak HouseMaisiemoogDined on 7/26/2014Very slow service. Chatty pleasant waiting staff. Steak cooked perfectly but wouldn't visit again. Would rather go to the Keg, half the price, bigger menu.
- An Excellent Dining ExperienceAlandSueDined on 7/19/2014One of the best steaks the me and my wife have had! Great service and a nice touch of making the cesar salad right at the table! A great place to spend our 10th anniversary. Thanks to Chris our waiter. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent restaurantHyluvitDined on 7/17/2014My wife and I were celebrating our 32nd wedding anniversary. We loved the place, it was quiet, the food was good and had a good list of red wine. The server was great and very professional. The steaks were cooked exactly as we ordered and they were was very tasteful especially mine with the Hy sauce. Great place to dine in a quiet environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect SteakOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014The service was amazing. Chris was attentive and accomodating yet not intrusive. The steak was done to perfection. AmazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Pleasureable ExperienceSatisfiedDined on 7/11/2014Although quite expensive, the food, service and experience were top notch. 5 stars without hesitation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak House...that's about itFacetofaceDined on 7/9/2014We are from a city that is well known for it's restaurants, great restaurants should I say.(Quebec City). Nothing against Ottawa, but overall we always been disappointed ..not the same standards. More specifically regarding your establishment : in my eyes, this is a steak house, no doubt about that, one of the best filet mignon I ever eaten in my life, but it does mean to keep aside other AbC of the cooking. Everything but the steak (drinks, accompaniments, dessert) was average, or at least not enough sophisticated, flavored or able to stand out in comparison to great restaurants in other cities. Miss the Wow effect. As for the service, do we need to see how to do a Cesar Salad right next to us...Steak and price are impressive, otherwise...Special Features:
- The following 483 reviews are from the Hy's Steak House - Ottawa reviews archive.
- Business Lunch at Hy'sGMACDined on 6/18/2014Hy's is a great place for lunch. The food is spectacular, good choice of wine and great service. The ambience is beautiful with original décor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food qualityImpressedDined on 6/14/2014All dishes were exceptionally delicious....from the warm garlic bread, the salad, the very tender Porterhouse steak, the beef medallion, the wine, drinks and desert. A wonderful experience due to the quality staff (from reception to the restaurant staff) the atmosphere was sensational and enjoyable to be in that setting.Special Features:
- superb dinnerdinner42athysDined on 6/13/2014for a special dinner out I would recommend this place especially for a romantic evening as the setting is dark and cozy. Food selection and service was great. We liked how the salad was prepared and tossed at our table.Special Features:
- Feel like a million bucksSuzyQDined on 6/11/2014That is how your guests will feel after a meal at Hy's. With the attentive service of server Nancy, the great food and wonderful ambiance, it was an amazing day. And, the celebrity diners in attendance also helped.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/9/2014Our server was excellent - made good recommendations, was pleasant and efficient.Special Features:
- Another memorable dinnerJJ1617Dined on 5/31/2014My husband and I dined at this Hy's location more than half a dozen times to date, and each time we are impressed by the quality of food and the service. The steaks are cooked to perfection and their desserts (especially the cheesecake) are mouth-watering. The service is beyond excellence as far as attentiveness. We visit Ottawa often, and every time we make it a point to dine at Hy's. It's well worth the trip.Special Features:
- Romantic DinnerLuv2dineoutDined on 5/23/2014My wife and I enjoyed wonderful martini and fabulous oysters Rockefeller at the bar before a superb steak and incredible banana's Foster in the restaurant.Special Features:
- Our choice for special occasions.MikeRDined on 5/14/2014Good food, great service and an atmosphere you can talk and enjoy your company; it doesn't get any better than Hy's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- steakhouse with mediocre foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/14/2014Unimaginative food that was indifferently prepared. Salad could have come out of a bag and steak might have been microwaved as it was cool on the exterior and hot in the middle.
- Great ServiceMel89Dined on 5/9/2014My boyfriend and I went to Hy's because we had received a gift card from a friend. The service was unbelievable and the food was just as great! Rad was our server that night and he was amazing. It was a nice night out but unfortunately it started raining just as we were leaving. Laura, another employee from Hy's, was very kind and gave us an umbrella since she knew we had walked there. All in all we had a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at HY'sAnitaDined on 4/19/2014The ambiance was just perfect, elegant and romantic. Food was great, the Cesar salad was prepared in front of us, which was a nice touch to see it prepared (and it tasted absolutely delicious). Our steak was cooked just right. Service was excellent! Well-timed and friendly waiter. Great experience. AnitaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/11/2014My husdand said he likes beer, looking for a suggestion, bartender ok beer it is and just gave him a glass. When we were at the table he asked for a refill of the beer but we dont know what kind it was. Server 'asked' the bar and gave him something very different and dark. When we pointed that out we were told the bartender remembers you and this is it.( which it was not). Our server durning dinner didnt seem to care either. I ordered a steak done med. It was well done so I set it aside so the server would see it, however he chose to keep walking past us. We did flag down a lady who was very helpful and got my dinner out to us pretty fast since my husband was almost done his.Special Features:
- Very slow service, it tookOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014Very slow service, it took an hour and a half to get our steaks. Staff have a poor sense of customer service. The food was dated and bland.
- Average ExperiencesteakexpectationDined on 4/3/2014Average experience including sizing The experience while adequate in other aspects, gave me no reason to return.
- Top service makes event specialSuzyQDined on 4/2/2014Top notch service, combined with the warm ambiance and great food makes this establishment something to keep coming back to.Special Features:
- Still dreaming of my filet mignonOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/28/2014The filet mignon was exceptionnally tasty! Three days after dining at Hy's, I'm still dreaming of eating another filet mignon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.