Hy's Steak House - Ottawa
170 Queen Street
Ottawa, ON K1P 5E1Neighborhood:
Ottawa / Gatineau
SteakhousePrice: CAN$51 and over
Hy's Steak House - Ottawa
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hyssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: (613) 234-4545
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm Closed Sundays
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Matthew Illey
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Hy's Steak House - Ottawa
Hy's is one of Ottawa's oldest and most established restaurants. Filled with dark mahogany and centered around our glass encased charcoal fire pit, we offer a wide variety of menu items, specializing in Canadian Prime beef. Our ambiance is warm and comfortable, providing a great sense of privacy and Victorian charm. Whether you're a party of two or twenty, you will always feel like you're the only ones here.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Hy's Steak House - Ottawa - Best Restaurants in Ottawa / Gatineau ›
Hy's Steak House - Ottawa reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (48)romantic (34)notable wine list (22)fit for foodies (13)good for groups (6)great for lunch (6)neighborhood gem (5)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- ExcellentHYSDEC15Dined on 11/15/2014HY's is the quintessential steak lover's fine dining destination. Traditional ambience and impeccable service set the mood for a romantic evening or a formal business dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ottawa GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014Wonderful establishment. great food. Excellent wine list and a top notch martini. This is why I keep coming back to HY'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hy's ottawaPetrelDined on 11/13/2014My wife and I had the chateaubriand. The beef was very tender and tasty, great selection of veggies and oven roast potatoes included. The service was friendly and at a great pace. Everything meets or exceeds higher end restaurants we have experienced worldwide.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceKarinel260Dined on 11/8/2014Food and service was amazing! We had a great relaxing diner. Thank youSpecial Features:
- Another memorable dinnerJJ1617Dined on 11/7/2014My husband and I visit Ottawa frequently just to dine at Hy's. It is one of our favorite restaurants. The service is impeccable and the food is outstanding. We normally order the Caesar salad which we love; however, the spinach salad this time was just as delicious. The filet mignon melted in my mouth, and the cheesecake was creamy and delicious. We highly recommend this restaurant, and we will definitely return again soon.Special Features:
- ...MartinDined on 10/30/2014Overall a positive experience but the voiturier was nowhere in sight on thursday, and parking is an issue. Lighting in the restaurant is so dimmed you hardly see the menu. Chairs are not that comfortable. But the steak was EXCELLENT, and the service was IMPECCABLE, which compensated for the rest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ZZBeanDined on 10/28/2014The place was half empty and they still tried to put us at a table right beside the kitchen door. For what the food was, it was overpriced. They have changed their menu with a "Classic" side and a "Modern" side. Other than a weak attempt to be current, I saw no value in that. I think that's the point. There are many restaurants in Ottawa to choose from that are new with excellent food. Hy's has also stopped serving bread with their meals. If you want bread, they now gouge for it. They have lost their exclusivity and relevance.
- Special Occasion2OFUSDined on 10/25/2014My husband and I are regulars at Hy's but usually come as part of a larger group. This time it was just the two of us for a birthday/anniversary celebration. We thoroughly enjoyed both the attention and privacy and decided that we'd like to make it a regular event for just the two of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedwanttoenjoyfoodDined on 10/24/2014The ambience is still abundant when attending this landmark restaurant. Unfortunately on this date and visit, the food did not live up to any of our party of four's expectations. A double order of Chateau Brion left us still hungry. The quantity, two of the smallest baby potatoes I have seen served for each, accompanied by an equally or if not smaller cheese crusted tomato with several green beans. The entire serving of vegetables were presented cold with the additional gravy and holandaise sauces congeniled from sitting too long. The tender beef and garlic toast was the only highlight. Not worth paying over 225.00 dollars for these meals-with only two beverages. Better value and quality can be found.Special Features:
- Always a great dinnerMikeRDined on 10/24/2014We go to Hy's for most special occasions and sometimes just because we enjoy it so much. The steaks are to die for and the spinach salad made table side is always a nice way to start a meal. Our friends enjoyed the dinner very much and it was a relaxing way to visit and enjoy some great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PatrikOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014Was in for a birthday dinner and Hy's did not disapoint. My only qualm was the mashed patatoes that tasted a little bland. other then that all good all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beware of Rib EyeJiriDined on 10/20/2014If you expect a great rib eye cut then you're likely to be dissapointed; Hy's rib is a thin cut unfit for the price point of the steak.Special Features:
- A triumphant return...bluesteakDined on 10/18/2014My wife and I returned to Hy's this weekend, courtesy of a gift card from the Manager. The card was given to us after I wrote about our very disappointing experience during our last visit. The evening was perfect. The promised booth was waiting for us; the service outstanding; the steaks cooked to perfection. Most important to me was the effort made by Hy's to respond to our criticisms with a prompt and sincere apology, supported by a very generous gift card and outstanding service on our return visit (if only more businesses made customer service and satisfaction as important as Hy's). A wonderful evening and I recommend Hy's without reservation to anyone looking for a premium night on the town. Thank you...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- How to feel special ... go to Hy'sSuzyQDined on 10/17/2014Helene made our visit so special, from the moment we sat down until we left. She checked with us on all of the little things, was attentive without being imposing. Such a delight.Special Features:
- a must for steak loversOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014without wine nor appetizers, I ended up with a $200 bill for three at lunch. Since it was for a special occasion, it was worth it.Special Features:
- How to celebrate birthday in styleSuzyQDined on 10/15/2014This remains my employee's #1 favourite location to go and celebrate their birthdays. The staff are so welcoming, the food delicious, and the ambiance makes it a memorable occasion.Special Features:
- Romantic eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Went on a "date night". I had the filet with Gorgonzola cheese and my wife had the pepper steak. Steaks seemed a little undersized actually, was expecting more. Also had the Caesar salad prepared at table side. Was garlicky but authentic. Very expensive! On a positive the service is absolutely first rate, truly professional.Special Features:
- Fjp1Dined on 9/30/2014The dining area was very dark with no option to increase lighting. Service was impeccable and friendly. Meat was "chewier" than it should have been. Food was slightly disappointing for the price. This was my first time here so I would try it againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service + great food= HY'SveryricoDined on 9/25/2014Went for my wife's birthday and we had a great server named Curtis who made our dinning experience from good to great. The food was fantastic ( as always) from the wine to the apps to the main course right down to the dessert (Creme brûlée). Thanks CurtisSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LennieDined on 9/19/2014This is a fine dining steak house but the pricing does not warrant the food portions and quality. Second and last visit $260.00 for a dinner for two ordering the most reasonable priced bottle of wine available was not good value for money.Special Features:
- High SocietyChefGeekDined on 9/13/2014If you want to dine amongst the elite of Ottawa, this is the place to do it! The menu has an excellent selection and the cuts of beef are fantastic. If you are brave, you can order the 22 oz (650 gram!) porter house. The wine list is very well selected and it's clear they have a very experienced sommelier in house. That said, this is not the place to come if you are frugal. Even a 10 oz New York strip was in excess of $25 but the service is top shelf. The servers are all extremely well dressed and quite knowledgeable. My only BEEF is that for those prices, those cuts of beef should be organic and from grass fed cows!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mixed feelingsduckconfitconnoisseurDined on 9/12/2014I ordered a duck confit, which was OK but not the best I had (note: I ask for duck confit wherever is available. The best ones so far are in Europe, specially in Paris and Budapest). The unusual beans as side did not match well with the duck. Wine list is extensive but highly overpriced. I know restaurants need to put a 100%-200% over store's price, but the one I had was way way far from that. A 10.00 wine for 40.00 is a bit overinflated. Waiters are very polite. They are well trained, except for serving wines (note: I observed similar behavior in other tables, so this is not related to the particular waiter). They put too much wine in the glass (approximately 1/2). Besides, wine glasses' quality is cheap, which means no crystal glasses.Special Features:
- Romantic EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Great Ambiance table side creation of certain foods, great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gastro experience and classOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Love HY,s. Had a big office celebration on my b'day 25 years ago ... had not gone in a long while...returned last year - still great... twice in last two weeks, when I entertained friends for special occasions. HY's did not let me down. Pricey but worth it - will definitely return. Waiter polite, professional, clean, unseen but very present. Thanks! Love HY's! JEFSpecial Features:
- Wonderful3botsDined on 8/29/2014We were celebrating our 18th wedding anniversary. Couldn't have asked for more. To our surprise, dessert was on the house.Special Features:
- Worth the price of admissionJamesStanLeeDined on 8/27/2014Celebrated my GF's birthday, very classy & upscale. Only drawback, I liked it better when it had a dress code.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodMarcPDined on 8/22/2014That was our third visit at Hy's & still they didn't disappoint. The food & service is always great although unfortunately, it is getting out of our price range for a meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A treat!TreatUrSelfDined on 8/16/2014Being from out of town, we make it a point to treat ourselves to a Hy's dinner when in Ottawa. Classic decor and atmosphere, very romantic to dress up for it!, great service and help with wine selection because there is so much great choices! Fun cocktails. The crabcakes appetizer was fantastic, tuna tartare was good. Amazing steaks as always and this time we tried the tomato-based special sauce which was a very good complement to the steaks. Classic cheesecake for dessert, nice end to a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Terrific food and great personal service, we were well taken care of by Terri, she was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still A Classic!FenderInOttDined on 8/14/2014Was looking for a nice restaurant downtown and could not make up my mind with so many choices. Noticed Hy's on Google Maps and thought.....Wow it has been a long time since I've been to Hy's. Was looking for a place where they do great steaks. The ambience was warm inviting and the tables are very comfortable & private. The menu is varied enough and offers many wonderful choices but steak is what they are known for. Joe our server was friendly, knowledgeable and added to our great experience. He made both the salad dressing, salad & steak right at the table which made for an entertaining show. The meal was absolutely deliscious, the steaks were cooked to perfection. We had a wonderful evening and great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank youSuzyQDined on 8/13/2014... for making me look like a great boss because my employees felt like they were treated like royalty by your staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing Meal for the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/6/2014Service excellent however the food was not so good this time around. Prime Rib was tough, Double cooked potatoes was under cooked, Sautee Mushrooms appeared to be cooked at a lower temperature not browned. Rockerfeller was changed into larger shells not as good as the smaller ones. Caesar Salad was perfect! Not what I expect from the HY's a disappointing meal. Did they change the cook? First time ever I must say in four years a meal did not live up to expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loutravelDined on 8/1/2014The website said there was valet parking available - there wasn't and apparently has not been for some time. We were given two menus - one had prices $2 per item higher than the other. However, the waiter only charged the lower prices. My feeling is that while the food/service is good, there are many other similar restaurants in Ottawa whose prices are not so extremely high. A Kir Royale cost $16 each - really!! We used to enjoy treating ourselves to this restaurant once in a while but the lack of convenient parking and the ridiculous prices have given us second thoughts.
- Average Steak HouseMaisiemoogDined on 7/26/2014Very slow service. Chatty pleasant waiting staff. Steak cooked perfectly but wouldn't visit again. Would rather go to the Keg, half the price, bigger menu.
- The following 488 reviews are from the Hy's Steak House - Ottawa reviews archive.
- An Excellent Dining ExperienceAlandSueDined on 7/19/2014One of the best steaks the me and my wife have had! Great service and a nice touch of making the cesar salad right at the table! A great place to spend our 10th anniversary. Thanks to Chris our waiter. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent restaurantHyluvitDined on 7/17/2014My wife and I were celebrating our 32nd wedding anniversary. We loved the place, it was quiet, the food was good and had a good list of red wine. The server was great and very professional. The steaks were cooked exactly as we ordered and they were was very tasteful especially mine with the Hy sauce. Great place to dine in a quiet environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect SteakOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014The service was amazing. Chris was attentive and accomodating yet not intrusive. The steak was done to perfection. AmazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Pleasureable ExperienceSatisfiedDined on 7/11/2014Although quite expensive, the food, service and experience were top notch. 5 stars without hesitation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak House...that's about itFacetofaceDined on 7/9/2014We are from a city that is well known for it's restaurants, great restaurants should I say.(Quebec City). Nothing against Ottawa, but overall we always been disappointed ..not the same standards. More specifically regarding your establishment : in my eyes, this is a steak house, no doubt about that, one of the best filet mignon I ever eaten in my life, but it does mean to keep aside other AbC of the cooking. Everything but the steak (drinks, accompaniments, dessert) was average, or at least not enough sophisticated, flavored or able to stand out in comparison to great restaurants in other cities. Miss the Wow effect. As for the service, do we need to see how to do a Cesar Salad right next to us...Steak and price are impressive, otherwise...Special Features:
- Business Lunch at Hy'sGMACDined on 6/18/2014Hy's is a great place for lunch. The food is spectacular, good choice of wine and great service. The ambience is beautiful with original décor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.