Hyde Street Seafood House & Raw Bar
1509 Hyde Street
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Hyde Street Seafood House & Raw Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hydestseafoodhouse.com/
- Phone: 4159313474
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: 7 days a week: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, French
- Executive Chef: Peter Hoang
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant accepts large parties. Parties of 15 or more are secured with a credit card; $10 per person is charged for a no-show.
- Private Party Contact: Reservationist 4159313474
- Special Events: Hyde Street Seafood House is offering a special Valentine's day Prix-Fixe Menu which can be viewed at http://www.hydestseafoodhouse.com/HolidayMenus.html.
A word from Hyde Street Seafood House & Raw Bar
The Hyde Street Seafood House specializes in 'En Papillote' cooking, a traditional French technique of baking in parchment paper. Julienned vegetables, fresh herbs, white wine, and a selection of fresh seafood are wrapped in parchment paper and baked to perfection, sealing in the food's natural flavors and juices.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Hyde Street Seafood House & Raw Bar - Best Restaurants in Russian Hill ›
Hyde Street Seafood House & Raw Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (32)special occasion (10)fit for foodies (9)romantic (9)good for groups (4)notable wine list (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Tasty seafood in Nob HillDebbieDined on 10/17/2014I was entertaining my Australian friends who wanted to go to Fisherman's Wharf for seafood. As I wouldn't go near that part of town, I went to my trusty Open Table app and Hyde Street Seafood popped up, and had a table available when we wanted it. We were seated right away and proceeded to order oysters, apps, entrees and wine. All were delicious! Especially the sea bass in parchment paper. This place is not flashy or trendy or even really vibrant, but the seafood was well-priced and delicious, which is exactly what we were looking for. I'll definitely return.Special Features:
- Not what we expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/1/2014I typically always judge a restuarant by how busy it is and we should have known going in that since we were one of two tables that it most likely wasn't going to be good. And we were right. The bread was hard and stale. The caesar salad was drenched in their "special" dressing that was loaded with anchovies. Then for the meal, I ordered a stuffed trout that was decently cooked but had zero flavor. The potatoes were overcooked and tough and the vegetables consisted of three carrots, two broccoli, and three green beans. The plate was $17 and worth about $9 in my opinion. The others had a potato crusted salmon. This was very unique in that it appeared they took regular hashbrowns, flattened them out and wrapped them around a piece of salmon.
- DisapointedDined on 9/20/2014The food was excellent. We had the Mahi-Mahi in parchment and the blending of flavors of the sauce was outstanding. The service was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Haven't been here in years...OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/27/2014But it still has its charm and the food is really good. A nice romantic spot good for any occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/26/2014Great evening place! Had a wonderful seafood dish baked in parchment paper.Special Features:
- Creative and Delicious!!TheYerkovichFamikyDined on 8/24/2014My husband and I were in town from Chicago and got a recommendation from the locals we were staying with to eat here. Our server was funny, personable, and we'll educated with the menu. The oysters were outstanding, the lobster bisque was to die for, and creative flavors of the dishes wrapped and cooked in paper were amazing! We will definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice neighborhood spotTrumpetman1Dined on 8/21/2014Leave the tourist- saturated Fisherman's Wharf behind and head up the hill to this cozy, quieter spot with a great fresh fish menu and good wine choice. The service was very attentive without being intrusive.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/9/2014Food has been consistently good. Seafood is always fresh and service always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemladycradyVIPDined on 8/4/2014We have been going for years and it is always a very nice meal. Nice to sit by the window and watch the cable cars go by.Special Features:
- meh everythingJamonJamonVIPDined on 7/23/2014The waitstaff seemed to run through the motions with neither warmth or even feigned interest in our table (or really any other party in the restaurant). The food was nothing special and the key lime pie for dessert was horrible. While we enjoyed our birthday dinner, it was due to the company, not our surroundings. Even though requests for a candle for dessert were made at several occasions (days prior and during the dinner), the slice of pie arrived with nothing. As the waiter brought the check, the only birthday greeting he could muster was a seemingly passive aggressive, "the pie was on the house, happy birthday". No need to ever go again.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/20/2014Seafood is always fresh. Food is consistently good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!anniebVIPDined on 7/18/2014Such a wonderful neighborhood place... Great food and great service! Loved it that all of the servers really work as a team to make sure the tables are taken care of. The lobster bisque is the best I have ever had--full of LOTS of lobster. And, I highly recommend the fish in parchment that they are known for. Had the salmon and it was fantastic. The server was even kind of enough to offer to call us a cab when our meal with complete....that is thoughtful service! We will be back for sure!Special Features:
- Very good food, great serviceMbf1VIPDined on 7/18/2014We are tourists who look for non-touristy restaurants. I had the cioppino which was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointingCrabcakesDined on 7/11/2014Eating out is such a "hit or miss" experience. Not at Hyde Street Seafood House & Raw Bar. When we want a great meal, in a comfortable setting, and with polite and attentive service, this is our "go to" restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Fun FindKekaualohaDined on 7/6/2014This is a great seafood neighborhood restaurant. Order the lobster bisque. Yum! Great service and delicious food. We would return when we visit SF again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 435 reviews are from the Hyde Street Seafood House & Raw Bar reviews archive.
- Great seafoodCellaVIPDined on 6/15/2014A small old time neighborhood spot. Not fancy, very comfortable, nice menu.Special Features:
- great dinnerlpadoukeeDined on 6/15/2014we stopped by on a sunday evening and immediately were captured by the simplicity and charm... rather than an overdone, over-decorated trendy feel, Hyde Street is welcoming, authentic, and warm. the food was tasty and fresh, and the portions were more normal human vs. artsy small or gluttonous gargantuan.... good value, good timeSpecial Features:
- Expensive DisappointmentJoeyDallasDined on 6/9/2014Unattractive building and interior, food was the most grave disappointment, oysters didn't tast fresh, mussels were average at best and the waitress expressed her disappointment that we didn't order more and was inattentive. Many places to visit, don't be fooled. Come on guys, spend some funds for a remodel, or a clean up, get a professional.
- great seafood and relaxed mealTomandAndiDined on 6/7/2014Grabbed a quick dinner here recently. We were in town for a few days and decided to give this place a try since it was on the hyde street cable car line. We were very happy with our choices. The fish in pappiolte (sp) was great, chippino was good, lobster ravioli was grand, and service was friendly and attentive. Would go back in the future....nice spot to watch the neighborhood roll by.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice neighborhood restaurantbistroR8RDined on 5/20/2014My wife and I stopped by here on our walk through the Russian Hill neighborhood. It was a nice cozy atmosphere, quiet enough for easy conversation. Both our fish dinners and the oysters were very good and the prices were reasonable. Would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be backwhiteweinVIPDined on 5/19/2014We enjoyed a delightful birthday celebration with great food, reasonably priced delicious wines, and a relaxed atmosphere. We especially liked the raw oysters, cajun prawns and scallops, and chocolate truffle torte. My first time here, but definitely not my last. We will look forward to the next time.Special Features:
- Outstanding ServiceElobFlowDined on 5/11/2014From the minute we walked through the door of this neighboorhood gem, we were treated like special guests. We quenched our thirst from the walk up the hill with Prosecco and then settled in for a delicious seafood dinner. Everything from the sourdough bread through the last bite of our perfectly prepared entrees was a delight. Highly tecommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent, not great.GlibgalDined on 5/8/2014It was an OK dining experience. Nothing wrong at all. Would recommend the parchment paper-cooked fish. Skip the breaded and stuffed items.
- DeliciousJennifoshoDined on 5/3/2014Both our dinners were excellent and the service was top notch. The ambiance is both romantic and charming - made for a great date night.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/3/2014Always enjoy eating here. The staff remembers us by name and seafood is always fresh. Staff is friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- DagoozDined on 5/2/2014Excellent food, especially the entrees in parchment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small but good food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/22/2014Needed to change our reservation twice. Once because our schedule changed and once because we could not find any parking. Ended up taking a cab and the restaurant called us one upon leaving. They were very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK OnlyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/21/2014You can get decent food here at a good price but it's not much fun. Lots of nautical paraphernalia don't add much to the experience.
- Hyde Street findsfdinerDined on 4/20/2014Our party enjoyed the Kumamoto oysters, spicy prawns & scallops, stuffed trout, and their specialty, fish & vegetables en papillote. The dining room and bar have a quiet, refined ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServicePalmSpringsGuyVIPDined on 4/17/2014Brian is the best server. Friendly, attentive, remembers what I like and is a total professional.Special Features:
- great varietysfcrzycrabDined on 4/12/2014Lobster bisque, seafood salad, stuffed prawns, and sea scallops. Absolutely fresh fine dining. Great recipes, great variety. Can't wait til I return for another fine meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently fantasticlaurenDined on 4/11/2014We come to this restaurant every time we visit San Francisco because the fish cooked in parchment paper is a house specialty and it is a MUST!!! It is a moist, flavorful preparation of fish on a bed of seasoned veggies. You can choose between salmon, snapper and a couple of other fresh fish choices. You can't go wrong with any of them. It is the best seafood you will ever have. The raw bar is also excellent if you like oysters. The prices for this incredible food are ridiculously reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad, not great, overpricedTheaDined on 4/7/2014Service was pretty good, made some nice wine recommendations, disappeared a bit at the end but overall not bad. The food was not that great. Everything seemed to lack flavor and seasoning. We had the mussels which had a sauce that seemed watered down, not much flavor going on. The mussels themselves were fresh and plump so that was a plus. Also the stuffed prawns were not as advertised. The menu says they are stuffed with scallops, lobster, crab meat and shrimp. They only came with crab meat, possibly some lobster shredded and mixed in there too, but no scallops or shrimp. The potatoes were dry and the steak was under-seasoned. All in all not horrible but not great. I would return for happy hour oysters and drinks but not for dinner.
- awesomedrjohnVIPDined on 3/29/2014Wonderful good, great peaceful atmosphere in a hectic world. Family owned with attentive service. Neat little palace and I would recommend highly. If you want a peaceful meal with great service and atmosphere this is it.Special Features:
- Great birthday dinnerPinkDined on 3/20/2014New favorite. Will be back soon. Price a bit high for everyday dinning but totally worth it for special occasions .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and neighborhood gemvirusgroundDined on 2/16/2014Stumbled upon this gem through Siri; my wife and I were completely satisfied with the excellent service and outstanding seafood. What we also loved about this place was the seafood education they provided. They will tell you all about the different types of seafood they have and how they pair with the wines they provide.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so Happy Valentines Day...DrLydiaGrayDined on 2/14/2014Came here for Valentines Day. We were handed a holiday menu of pre fixed selections, three courses for a fixed price of $62 pp, no regular menu offered. I ordered surf and turf, my son ordered the seabass. Salads were subpar, Steak was a subpar piece of meat, tasteless and undercooked. When I cut into it the blood soaked into the bland mashed potatoes, gross! The lobster tail was size of shrimp. Son's meal was delivered but the preparation lacked flavor. For dessert, key lime pie, nothing special nor was chocolate soufflé. No coffee offered. The food tasted precooked and slapped on plates. No regard to quality. They made a lot of money but also lost a lot of new and future customers as a result.
- Horrible experienceValentinesdisasterDined on 2/14/2014Made reservations for Valentines Day and there was a fixed menu. We both ordered the surf and turf, filet Mignon and lobster tail. The meal literally tasted as if they stuck a plate in the microwave and had instant mashed potatoes. 150.00 later I could make the statement that it was the worst dining experience of my life
- Food and service are alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 2/10/2014Food and service are always good when we go here. Seafood is always fresh.Special Features:
- So pleasantly surprisedPamelaVIPDined on 2/1/2014We happened upon this S.F. long time restaurant, and now I know why it's been here so long. We had oysters to begin which were fresh, briney, and delicious. Next the seafood salad for two, mounded with fresh crab, smoked salmon, and bay shrimp with a delicate citrus dressing. (What a deal for $20). To end we had the red snapper papillote, fabulous with cabbage, zucchini, onion, and potato. The house Chardonnay was decent and my husbands Viognier was delicious. We are coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.