Hyde Park Bar & Grill - West Gate
4521 B West Gate Blvd
Austin, TX 78745Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Hyde Park Bar & Grill - West Gate
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://hpbng.com/
- Phone: 5128992700
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch and Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 11:00am - 12:00am
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Southern
- Executive Chef: Chris Turgeon
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live seasonal music on the patio
Sunday andTuesdays: 7pm-ish to 9pm-ish.
- Special Events: See our events calendar for live music listings, Art Party dates, and other special events. http://hpbng.com/calendar
- Cross Street: Hwy. 290
- Public Transit: Capitol Metro bus stops at West Gate Shopping Center.
From Austin Convention Center, take #5-WOODROW/SOUTH 5TH-SB to Western Trails & Sagebrush.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Located on the grounds of the Central Market South shopping center and next door to the Regal Cinemas 11, parking is plentiful.
A word from Hyde Park Bar & Grill - West Gate
Since our opening in 1982, Hyde Park Bar & Grill has been determined to bring you delicious high quality food at a moderate price. People need to believe in something, and we believe good value, friendly service and a relaxed casual atmosphere will keep bringing you back. We are dedicated to serving you quality, handcrafted food using the freshest ingredients available. Our restaurant is open at 11:00 a.m. every day for lunch and dinner serving a traditional and eclectic mix of appetizers, burgers, sandwiches, soups, salads, steaks, seafood, pasta and our award winning french fries. Our mission is to be the place you eat when you dine away from home. Thanks for choosing Hyde Park Bar & Grill.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hyde Park Bar & Grill - West Gate reviews from OpenTable diners
- Our family loves coming hereOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/17/2014Our family loves coming here for the French fries & the Rueban sandwich. A real treat! This is our 2nd time at this restaurant & will definitely be back. Great for a quick, reliable lunch or dinner with family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit or missOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/4/2014The good- The onion rings, the dessert donuts The not so good- No silverware on table and not noticed by waitress, no napkins either. High chair had broken straps. Waitress couldn't even muster any enthusiasm for menu when I said I'd never been there before and asked what was good. My Salmon was a small portion on a small plate with a small puddle of sauce..looked lonely..was just ok. Side of jalapeno cornbread in cast iron skillet was overcooked, dry and partially burned and not exciting, I ate very little. Overall experience was not worth a return visit, uninspired and service lacking.
- Sadly DeterioratingAlandPatDined on 12/29/2013I used to frequent Hyde Park Bar and Grill but probably won't be going back there. The menu is very selective and most of the items that made the restaurant unique and delicious are gone. They hired a new chef a couple weeks ago and he seems to have a new way for everything. The prices were far too high for what tasted like heated up food. Also, you can't have "bar" in the name of your restaurant without having a choice of liquors... I was disappointed to see the quality here diminish.
- Extremely crowded and noisy.JoeyDined on 12/22/2013Extremely crowded and noisy. Becoming more of a fast food place.
- Holiday SpiritAustinArtDined on 12/19/2013Overall, I was not disappointed with the food, service or the ambiance for our art group's appreciation holiday dinner. Everyone was pleased with the selection of wine, the food and the wonderful spot we were in for a more semi private gathering. We started out with some appetizers although for a party of 8, the portions for the appetizers were small and had to order more, it was good to have. Everyone seemed to be enticed by the fish tacos and said they had more than enough, I was pleased that everyone enjoyed the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/12/2013Went there with a few co workers. All of us being 1st timers. Enjoyed the food. VERY good. It was 4:00 when we got there so the restaurant was dead. Not much going on. Still had a good time, was taken care of and ate great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't have what we wantedHungryDined on 11/15/2013Wanted the ribeye - turns out they took it off the menu a week before. Wanted the Ruben - they were out. Other than that, the food was great and I would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Susan Arbuckle musicjzfun2Dined on 11/12/2013please keep Susan on the schedule. She is awesome and was well worth sitting in the cold to hear her sing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/27/2013The food is always great here. We've often come for lunch and we came for dinner this time. Our waiter was friendly and attentive. We had a lovely table by the window. The only thing we didn't like was how close the tables were. The conversation at the table next to us was loud and annoying but that's not the restaurant's fault.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Family Get-togetherGourmetGirlDined on 10/13/2013We were having a family get together and with 11 of us it worked out perfectly. They set up our table in a separate little alcove and it couldn't have been better. We have 3 little boys in our family and they don't always stay seated so it was absolutely perfect. Our waiter was really good and the food was terrific as always!!Special Features:
- Great choice for family brunchesahcmijDined on 9/14/2013Great experience with a group of 9. Looks like they have a couple of areas for large parties. Wait staff was great. Everything done very efficiently, order timely. Great Avocado fries, and house fries. Food was very fresh. Could use a little updating of the decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second HomeAlbertDined on 8/17/2013Austin is my second home as I visit the city several times a year. This is the first visit to Hyde Park Grill and I really enjoyed it, though I think it is a little pricey on some of its entree menu items. The turkey burgers were excellent, and the fries out of this world. The mixed green salad was fresh and the ranch dressing very tasty. I would recommend Hyde Park to friends. Certainly, my next trip will require a Hyde Park turkey burger, fries, and perhaps a few additional menu items to share from the entree selection.Special Features:
- surprise gem, but...ATXaggieVIPDined on 8/16/2013This was my second time to dine but I brought 3 first-timers with me. Ambiance is like a "nicer" Kerbey Lane...feels sorta diner/Luby-ish in it's set up, carpeting and overall appearance. All the food we had was GREAT and I will go back, but our server, who appeared to only be waiting on 3 tables, might as well have been out taking smoke breaks for as many times as he was missing and not present. Even after he brought the check, our tab must have sat ready to process for more than 10 minutes. Server was a disappointment from the first hello.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food and MusicogreDined on 7/21/2013We went to have dinner and see the band Trio Verde. Food and music were excellent. However, our server could have been more attentive. I ordered a martini to consume prior to eating, but it didn't arrive at the table until after the meal arrived. And we didn't receive much attention after the meal arrived.Special Features:
- Business LunchLaurenDined on 6/28/2013We had a group of 7 for one of our coworkers last days in the office. It was a very nice lunch. Everyone enjoyed theselves and the food was great. Our server was very nice also (we were doing a lot of chatting and he was around when we needed him but didn't hover). Very nice time.Special Features:
- Many changes...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/31/2013I have been dining at Hyde Park for over 7 years, and had always considered it a restaurant with delicious food, generous portions, and affordable prices. However, the restaurant's menu has undergone a huge make-over, and I was not happy with all the new changes. The portions are now much,much smaller. Most plates do not include sides anymore, and now you have to pay extra for them. We were used to ordering a large order of fries for our entire table, and now the "large" order barely feeds 3 people. I was used to making reservations there often for birthdays and other special events, but I don't think I will be doing that anymore...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch after my Son's BaptismdgooDined on 5/26/2013So easy. So delicious. Reservation ready and perfect. Service was impeccable. HPG did not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh DesignOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/3/2013We love the Hyde Park Grill on Duvall, but this one has new, modern styling that is so hip right now. Food was great quality, and the service was very good. We were on a schedule and they got our food out really quickly. A good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was our first visit sinceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/25/2013This was our first visit since they had new menus. Of course, as usual, new menus often mean higher prices. The chuck hamburger had gone up a dollar ($8) and still did not include French fries. The fries were served in a little basket which was a smaller serving than before. Overall, I'm afraid that our favorite comfort food restaurant did not help itself with its changes.
- They have a new executiveOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/19/2013They have a new executive chef. This was needed. I had the meatloaf and it was not only delicious but plated very nicely too.Special Features:
- The service this visit wasBettySueDined on 3/31/2013The service this visit was a little spotty compared to other times I've visited. It may have been because of it being a holiday. It also would have been nice to have some special Easter offering. As always the food was spectacular.Special Features:
- Kate,the waitperson for ourOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/23/2013Kate,the waitperson for our table was superb. She was always gracious and accommodating. In particular to those who took more than enough time to select from the menu. All in all our party of ten enjoyed their dining experience.Special Features:
- I have been to the originalOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/14/2013I have been to the original Hyde Park many years ago. I wanted to try this one and it turned out to be different but good. Our server was great considering how very busy they were. He didn't even mind giving us separate checks. The food was just as excellent as always. We were a group of five but could all converse even with our table right by the bar. Check it out--you will enjoy it.
- The hostess was very helpfulLatinaTurtleDined on 3/13/2013The hostess was very helpful and flexible about seating our group in a quiet part of the restaurant. We appreciated that!Special Features:
- We eat at Hyde Park Bar &OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/13/2013We eat at Hyde Park Bar & Grill often. Have always enjoyed the food & service.Special Features:
- Eureka We could hear our dinner conOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/16/2013When we arrived they warmly greeted us and gave us exactly what our request was, a quiet table in the corner. We needed to have WIFI for a short show and tell during our work dinner and it was a great connection. After that it was good food, good service good time had by all...Request Anastasia she gave us wonderful attention without interrupting.Special Features:
- OK place,but not exceptional.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/3/2013Everything about Hyde Park Grill could be best described, in my opinion, as average. By this I mean that the food was good, but not exceptional or memorable. The service was fine, but not exceptional. The ambiance was what you would expect. No negatives, just nothing that says "can't wait to eat there again." I would eat there again if it was convenient or if a friend wanted to meet me there, but there are other places I would rather go.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/28/2012Booked a reservation online to listen to live music while dining. When we got there, we were surprised to find the band setting up outside. We asked if we could sit outside near a space heater but were told that there was no fuel for the heaters. We asked if we would be able to hear the band over the inside speakers but were told no. No apologies were made. Disappointed, we ate dinner inside anyway. Crispy chicken wings, when they arrived, were actually drums, were not crispy and had very little flavor. The waiter said they didn't have wings and offered no recourse. The pulled pork over the mac and cheese had no flavor at all. The bill was expensive and we got mediocre food and no live music. We won't be going back.
- Our service was very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/28/2012Our service was very good and the food came out exactly as ordered. Everyone was happy with their selection except for the people that ordered the veggie burger. The recipe must have changed and they were unhappy with their dish.Special Features:
- The food is good at dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/16/2012The food is good at dinner as well as lunch. The menu variety allows for everyone in the group to fine something that matches their taste and dietary guidelines. The wine, beer and mixed drink selection also suited a group with varying tastes. the semi-private area was nice for a small group and helped somewhat to shield the group from the noise level from the rest of the restaurant.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood comfort foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/9/2012I went here with a group, and we were treated to excellent service by our waiter, who was attentive at the right times and careful not to interrupt conversation. The food was great--there are a lot of very tempting comfort dishes on the menu, but if you're watching your calories they also have some wonderful salads and soups. It wasn't super noisy but not super quiet either, so we felt comfortable having conversations that weren't overheard well but also weren't annoying to fellow diners. All in all, an excellent experience. I will definitely be back!Special Features:
- We took our NYC children toOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/21/2012We took our NYC children to Hyde Park. One got the hamburger, and one got the 4 vegetable plate. They were both very pleased. My daughter especially liked the collard greens.
- The Salmon dish and the crabcakesBeevesDined on 8/3/2012The Salmon dish and the crabcakes were excellent, and the wine list very suitable and affordable. Great place to take someone or just to have a good mean.Special Features:
- Consistent offerings. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/28/2012Consistent offerings. The waitstaff is always very helpful. The manager is very kind. We will go again, but only with specific groups that need comfort food.Special Features:
- Went to Hyde Park Bar & Grill-OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/29/2012Went to Hyde Park Bar & Grill- Westgate for my birthday dinner. I had made reservations prior, so that helped with getting the table for 8 that my party consisted of. We were seated on time. The waiter showed up right away, took everyone's drink orders, and asked if we wanted appetizers. Drinks showed up pretty soon after ordering. Then orders were taken for dinner. I ordered the basil grilled chicken with wild rice pilaf and spice roasted sweet potatoes. My boyfriend ordered the chicken fried steak with fries and steamed broccoli. My sisters had the pork roast shephards pie and grilled salmon. Their boyfriends had the potato-crusted tilapia and chicken fried chicken. Overall, everyone was pleased with their meals. Waiter had BAD BAD breathSpecial Features:
- Their food is always consistentlyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/27/2012Their food is always consistently good. We especially go for the fabulous french fries. However, their desserts are small and the present selection does not appeal to us.Special Features:
- great comfort foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/23/2012My husband and I love Hyde Park Bar and Grill. They have wonderful comfort food and also a few different items like chinese stir fry and pasta dishes. The special was an Indian dish that sounded amazing but I opted for comfort food getting meatloaf, collard greens cooked with bacon and green chile cheese mashed potatoes. SO GOOD! My husband got the horshoe because he saw it on man vs food and he ate the whole thing. My cocktail was also great.Special Features:
- Dependable, consistent, comfortableOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/9/2012Dependable, consistent, comfortable -- all adjectives that have described HPG for the twenty five years I've been enjoying their food. Now made even better by being twenty minutes closer to my house! Fantastic wine list, with some finds. Only downside is a common Austin complaint -- service is a little too "slacker-like". Other than that, a good friend that you always enjoying seeing.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood restaurant.RicemanDined on 10/6/2011Great neighborhood restaurant. We have been regulars for years.Special Features:
- Blackened catfish uncommonly spicyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/18/2011My wife enjoyed her vegetable plate. However, my "blackened Cajun-style catfish" was almost uneatable. It appeared and tasted as though perfectly good slices of farm-raised catfish had been smothered in chile powder and thrown into frying pan. I am from Louisiana, of Cajun background. Believe me, this is NOT the way I have experienced (much less, tasted) so-called "blackened" fish before. Rather than the expected thinly encrusted, crispy outer surface of peppery seasoning, what I encountered was a thick covering of mushy red paste that was way too spicy--impossible to eat without burning lips and enduring indigestion for hours. I can not imagine this particular dish pleasing many customers; will be last time I order this dish from HPBSpecial Features: