76 Queen Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.huskrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8435772500
- Hours of Operation:
Restaurant Lunch: 11:30 a.m.- 2:30 p.m. Monday-Saturday Dinner: 5.30-10 p.m. Sunday-Thursday; 5:30-11 p.m. Friday and Saturday Brunch: 10 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Sunday Bar 4 p.m.-close daily Thanksgiving Day: 11:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.; Christmas Eve Lunch: 11:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. Dinner: 5:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.; Closed Christmas Day; New Years Eve Lunch: 11:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. Dinner: 5:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.; Closed New Years Day
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Chef Sean Brock
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: At this time Husk is not able to accommodate private events.
A word from Husk Restaurant
Occupying adjacent spaces on Queen Street, Husk’s structures date back to the late 1800s. The main dining room, constructed in 1893, evokes the grandeur of Charleston, and speaks to the transformation of the city over time. Victorian details and turned columns were layered over the original Queen Anne-style façade through the years, and the buildings fell into disrepair until discovered by Husk ownership. The Neighborhood Dining Group President David Howard set into a motion an extensive remodeling effort of both. Although both buildings retain their antique charm and stately character, the renovations imbued each with a modern, minimalist theme. Like the reinterpreted food served within, each space has been laid bare, revealing reclaimed floors, original windows, and exposed brick throughout. The main house features an open kitchen with a wood-burning oven and dining room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Husk Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Husk Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
752 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (573)special occasion (427)neighborhood gem (263)romantic (252)great for lunch (242)hot spot (226)notable wine list (159)great for brunch (122)great for outdoor dining (94)vibrant bar scene (74)good for groups (69)scenic view (34)kid-friendly (21)late-night find (16)Show More
- Great barJeffVIPDined on 8/30/2014Great bar, some really good food items only available at the bar. Overall great service and great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not as good as the pastErinb247Dined on 8/30/2014I have eaten at Husk 3 times. The first two times were amazing so it was my "go to" for a friend coming into town. This past visit was enjoyable but I was not floored by the food as the previous two times. It may have just been an off night. Overall, the atmosphere and service was still great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretentious & Coldf00dieDined on 8/30/2014We were so very disappointed with our evening here. While the food was ok - it did not live up to the hype. We found the presentation of the salad in a "C" on the plate to be silly & pretentious as it did not bring anything to the flavor or taste. The fried chicken strips were really not good. The pork had too much fat... Regarding the service - not once were we asked if we were enjoying ourselves or if everything was fine. We had a minor spill of water at the table and no one came by to help out as we scrambled for extra napkins. My husband had to leave the table to get someone. Proof that no one was overseeing the room or if the guests needed anything. After dining at McCrady's we could not believe this was the same Chef or group.
- Delicious Lunch !OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014My husband and I were in Charleston and friends had recommend Husk. We were not able to get dinner reservations so opted for lunch. We were charmed by the location of the restaurant in a remodeled home. Tables were placed a very nice distance apart, enabling privacy. Our food was delicious. We started with pigs ear lettuce wraps. The filling was crispy, with pickled vegetables and a sweet sauce. It was such a fabulous dish we almost ordered two more. But wanting to try other items we had shrimp and grits , which was made unique with the addition of roasted corn and tomatoes. We loved it! Our service was swift, friendly, helpful and relaxed. Could not have been better. Add in a great drink and wine list and we say Husk is a must go!Special Features:
- Simply…BoldOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/30/2014Husk was everything it was billed to be. We couldn't get a dinner reservation so we had to settle for Lunch. But it was still worth it and we had an amazing meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014We ate at Husk for lunch. Service could have been better. Seemed like they treated customers differently based on status. Food was good. One of the best cheeseburgers I've ever had and the wings were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting menu and good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014The atmosphere is quite welcoming at Husk. The waiter we had was very friendly. He explained that the menu changes twice a day. There were very interesting and original choices. I have never ordered fried catfish in a restaurant, but the entree sounded so good that I had to try it. I am glad I did. It was pan fried with just a very minimal amount of cornmeal tasting breading. It was served with a delicious gumbo and crispy, buttery pan seared thin okra strips. All very southern and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2014This was our second time to Charleston. Our favorite restaurant. Everything was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderful!!!ashevillegirlVIPDined on 8/28/2014Thank you for a great evening! Service was a little slow towards the end of the meal ,but nothing crazy! We always enjoy coming to Husk and thank you so much for everything!Special Features:
- Amazing food, ok servicemekuDined on 8/28/2014My husband and I went to Husk for lunch after a tour guide recommended it to us. Our food was amazing. I had the shrimp and grits and my husband had the cheeseburger. Our server paid little attention to us and we went about 15 minutes without a refill on water. The food made up for it but the service was very disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern GemFeliponDined on 8/27/2014It is one of the best in CharlIt is one of the best in Charleston, excellent southern food, made from local products, with highest quality elaboration.eston, excelent southern food, make since of local products, with hiesht quality elaboration.Special Features:
- Inventive southern cuisine.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/27/2014I have dined at Husk a few times. Never disappoints! Started with wonderful cast iron skillet cornbread appetizer - bacon grease must be the secret ingredient. Two of us had fish entrees. Halibut and grouper. Both seasoned expertly and remained moist and tender. One had the flat iron steak - cooked exactly as ordered. Melt in your mouth beef perfection. The cheese grit side was in a word - sinful! Worth saving room for.Special Features:
- Absolutely PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014My girlfriend and I went to Husk for our 3 year anniversary while in Charleston. We had read about the restaurant and booked our reservations two weeks in advance (this is important and I would advise booking even earlier than we did if you want a time later than 6 PM). The restaurant is beautiful and in a perfect location after an evening walking the shops on King Street. The server Travis was friendly, funny and added a great tone to our evening without crowding us. The food was absolutely spectacular. It was the best meal I have had this year and easily one of the best eating experiences we ever had as a couple. We will be stopping here every time we are in Charleston. I strongly recommend stopping here for anyone in Charleston.Special Features:
- great appsshoulanchuDined on 8/25/2014We were a party of 4 - great wine and beer list and the apps were really imaginative. Entrees - the heritage pork was fantastic, but the rest of the pleates felt a little run of the mill, especially if you are a foodie and eat hot spots often. I would go back for sure.Special Features:
- Go sit at the bar!!!BarrelagedwisdomDined on 8/24/2014While the food here was great it definitely wasn't the best part. The dimly lit bar next door was what this place is all about. The bourbon shelves were incredible and included options like Johnny drum, a hard to find 101 proof true Kentucky bourbon ($9 a glass) all the way up to the lot of pappy van winkle 23 year. What really made the night was the atmosphere inside this small bar. 8 seas downstairs and a serviced lounge upstairs, this is definitely a spot to have a drink (or 7) and make some new foodie friends. The bartenders were not only knowledgable...they were die hard bourbon fans. Just what you want from a place that knows when to shake a drink and when to stir instead!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, poor greetingBobKDined on 8/24/2014As always the food was interesting and perfectly prepared. Hostess seemed overwhelmed a little snippy on a Sunday evening. Were eventually seated about 30 minutes after our reservation time. Experienced confusion between the hostess and the bar personnel. We will return, but hope the southern hospitality can match the southern food next time. Server was excellent.Special Features:
- First timersFootloosefoodieDined on 8/24/2014We really enjoyed our experience at Husk, the cornbread was delicious just like my grandmother used to make it! The pork belly was crisp on the edges and moist and flavorful inside. My husbands burger was fab to. Great job Husk!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Below AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014Extremely over-priced for food portion and quality of food: I had a very small piece of grouper that was tasteless and under-cooked. The accompaniment was tasty but also a very small portion. The other person in my party had the quail dish which was good, not great, but also a very small portion to include the accompaniment. We visited a new tapas restaurant on Upper King for happy hour before going to Husk, and found that the tapas portion priced at $13 and absolutely delicious, was at least as large as the entrée portions ($30 each) we had at Husk. Over all, our much anticipated visit to Husk was very disappointing and we are not likely to recommend or revisit.Special Features:
- Great evening.JoJoDined on 8/23/2014Great service, ambiance and food. The bar is top notch and very neat. Will surely reccomendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- laurapdxDined on 8/23/2014excellent food, excellent service. Can't go wrong here.Special Features:
- Stellar experienceSixthSenthCraversDined on 8/23/2014Highly recommended! After seeing the owner featured on The Mind of a Chef we knew we needed to experience this restraunt, as it is located only a couple of hours from where we live. We could not have been happier!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Experienceluv2dineDined on 8/22/2014My wife and I will definitely be back. This restaurant exceeded my already high expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply amazingSabrinaDined on 8/22/2014This is a must dine restaurant when visiting Charleston. The food is absolutely amazing, and all they only use farm fresh and local products. The staff is warm, and the ambiance is beautiful (I especially loved their bar next door). If I am ever back in Charleston, it will be the first place I dine.Special Features:
- Worth A VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/22/2014Very fresh ingredients and good customer service. Selections change every night, and by the luck of the draw, our group chose a night when only one out of four got a meal they really liked.Special Features:
- Excellent!NibrocdinerDined on 8/22/2014It was a wonderful meal. I would recommend it to everyone. Book well in advance. Service and food were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reputation precedes it!MOJOMDined on 8/22/2014Great food, great bar. Went for Lunch, split a bunch of apps and one entree (shrimp n grits). Returned for a late night dessert and drinks. Great staff as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDING!!!!Exellent62Dined on 8/20/2014The food @ Husk is one of a kind!!!! Everything is Cooked FRESH!! No crazy hidden spices but just good down home cooking!! Preparation was OUTSTANDING!! Our number 1 restaurant !!! Looking forward to planning another trip to Charleston just to dine @ Husk!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodLlendrilDined on 8/20/2014The food was delicious. The service was also top-notch. I'm glad we got to experience Husk while we were in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One word: PerfectmmartellojrDined on 8/19/2014From start to finish HUSK exceeded any and all of our expectations. The food was an experience; in taste and in history. The service was impeccable (nick, thank you). The hostesses were gracious with us and everyone (even at times when they certainly didn't have to be). The bar was a dream. It's rustic aesthetic was something I thought I could only dream up in my mind. The bartenders were welcoming, kind, knowledgable, and drinks were executed with precision for overall taste and quality. We walked in curious and hungry and left speechless and full. So, if you're on the fence as to whether or not you'd like to try HUSK, do yourself a favor and stop thinking and make a reservation. Chef Sean Brock and his team are stellar. Thank you all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place in charlestondiningmomDined on 8/19/2014Wonderful restaurant. Food was inventive . Service was wonderful. Our waiter,kent, gave us great suggestions. He timed the food coming out of the kitchen perfectly. Not too fast, not too slow. He was honest as in what to order volume wise and we appreciated that! We will return in the future!Special Features:
- Food and Service SpectacularOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/19/2014Adam our server was great! Very knowledgeable about food, cocktails, and beer. We had several items from the first course- pig ear wraps, charred peppers, chicken skins, corn bread. Chicken sandwich was ginormous and the burger was awesome. As well as the potato wedges with house ketchup. Great value for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceDiandralDined on 8/19/2014We were there for lunch and it was fantastic. The lunch menu is limited but all of the item's are well prepared and delicious. This is a farm to table restaurant so they use fresh and locally sourced ingredients.Special Features:
- Second time, just as good!PotomacfoodieDined on 8/18/2014What's to say?...this place is really one of the best restaurants, anywhere, period! My husband had the best pork chop of his life at our last visit...the only downer was the longer than usual wait even with our reservation. The service is also very attentive and knowledgeable. This is truly one of those places you want to come over and over again. We also love going to their cozy little bar next door in an outer building.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming in CharlestonmishaVIPDined on 8/18/2014This restaurant came highly recommended and it did not disappoint. We had an absolutely delicious lunch on our last afternoon in Charleston, and we will definitely be back!! The Crispy Chicken Skin salad with homemade Buttermilk dressing was outstanding!Special Features:
- Superb lunchsockyDined on 8/18/2014Catfish, and shrimp and grits were absolutely delicious at good value for lunch. Best meal out of 4 different restaurants while in Charleson.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/18/2014Husk was everything it's talked up to be and more. The deserts are ah-mazing and definitely not to be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CofC move inTheLEOSDined on 8/17/2014Great find - Chef utilizes only locally or regionally sourced food products. The ingredients were fresh, presentation was great and service was outstanding. The ambiance was great for lunch/brunch almost reminiscent to visiting your favorite relatives home for Sunday dinner. We will try to set up a reservation for parents weekend at C of C.Special Features:
- The Golden Rule @ Table 51TwoFoodiesDined on 8/16/2014While our party was very excited to dine at Husk, our experience was not what we had in mind for an expected four course fine dining evening. Food and beverages were exquisite for the most part, but our experience was rendered disappointing by our dismissive server. Brian tried to rush us through our meal from the moment we were seated. This behavior cont. even after letting him know we prefer to pace our courses, and he said "I appreciate that" when letting him know we were ready to order. The final blow came when a member of our party was served meat that was 50% inedible fat. Mgr. Jennifer came out to clear the table, clearly with intentions of addressing the issue, but failed to even speak to us, much less address the inedible dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for Saturday lunchOmahaishomeDined on 8/16/2014Except for the weather (hot, humid, what you expect for Charleston SC in mid-August) the Husk is a great place to grab a meal with a Southern flair. Easy to reach by walking from most downtown hotels, easy enough to find off of Queen street. Great shopping nearby (King street).Had made a reservation a week before and was led to our table at the appointed time. Menu was simple with less than 20 dishes being served. Service was prompt and attentive without being overbearing. Despite the bustle, you felt your table was your sanctuary. As for the food, great use of local produce and products. Southern costal cuisine without the grease and excessive starch. Make sure to get a reservation a week in advance for lunch, at least 2 weeks for dinnerSpecial Features:
- Amazing ExperienceHoneysCocinaDined on 8/15/2014We were able to get a last minute reservation and our experience was so much more wonderful than anticipated. We have had the opportunity to experience the best restaurants around the world and we would rate Husk at the top! The food was prepared perfectly, the wine list excellent and service friendly and efficient without hovering. We will definitely return on another trip to Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.