76 Queen Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.huskrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (843) 577-2500
- Hours of Operation:
Restaurant Lunch: 11:30 a.m.- 2:30 p.m. Monday-Saturday Dinner: 5.30-10 p.m. Sunday-Thursday; 5:30-11 p.m. Friday and Saturday Brunch: 10 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Sunday Bar 4 p.m.-close daily Thanksgiving Day: 11:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.; Christmas Eve Lunch: 11:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. Dinner: 5:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.; Closed Christmas Day; New Years Eve Lunch: 11:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. Dinner: 5:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.; Closed New Years Day
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Chef Sean Brock
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: At this time Husk is not able to accommodate private events.
A word from Husk Restaurant
Occupying adjacent spaces on Queen Street, Husk’s structures date back to the late 1800s. The main dining room, constructed in 1893, evokes the grandeur of Charleston, and speaks to the transformation of the city over time. Victorian details and turned columns were layered over the original Queen Anne-style façade through the years, and the buildings fell into disrepair until discovered by Husk ownership. The Neighborhood Dining Group President David Howard set into a motion an extensive remodeling effort of both. Although both buildings retain their antique charm and stately character, the renovations imbued each with a modern, minimalist theme. Like the reinterpreted food served within, each space has been laid bare, revealing reclaimed floors, original windows, and exposed brick throughout. The main house features an open kitchen with a wood-burning oven and dining room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Husk Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Husk Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
768 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (642)special occasion (443)neighborhood gem (307)hot spot (275)romantic (262)great for lunch (233)notable wine list (187)good for groups (124)great for brunch (112)vibrant bar scene (111)great for outdoor dining (92)scenic view (26)kid-friendly (23)late-night find (16)Show More
- Travel LogOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/26/2014What a great lunch, 2 apps 2 drinks 2 entrees and 1 dessert. Crispy pig ear lettuce wraps were tasty. Va pork and the shrimp & sc grits wow! Our server was very knowledgeable and great at what he does. I was amazed how packed Husk was at lunch but after our meal I know why we needed a reservation . great job great restaurant, there's a reason for the hype and it goes on your fork.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good foodHschlesiVIPDined on 11/25/2014Ate here with my family during a visit in Charleston. The food was qute fresh and tasty. I had a duck confit, which was as good as most any that I have had in the US. It came with a beautiful sweet potato puree and a pulled pork & cabbage BBQ. The latter was tasty, but I thought it was too overpowering to go with the duck. The wine list is arranged differently, but is easy enough to figure out. The choices are good and the mark-ups were reasonable for this type of restaurant. We went with a nice Cotes de Beaune. The dessert we had (we tasted my son's sweet potato chess pie) was quite nice without being overly sweet, and it had an awesome crust. Everything is served on an earhenware that is likely made (?) by some local artisans. The high ceiling room is noisy and were unfortunately next to a table of screaming friends, who wanted to be sure the whole restuarant heard them. Except for the noise, it was an excellent experience. Since we are more often in Nashville, we look forward to trying their sister Husk restaurant there soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fabulous experience!JandJDined on 11/24/2014This was our first visit to Husk and we chose it to celebrate a special occasion. We were seated at a very nice table at the end of the restaurant and could view all the diners and activities. Our server was very knowledgable and offered good advice on food and wine. We chose a Turley wine that was reasonably priced and went very well with the grouper. The appetizers were delicious and the presentation of the bibb salad in the handmade wooden bowl was appreciated. The grouper entree was nicely prepared and the side order of grits hit the spot. We highly recommend this restaurant and may try the Husk in Nashville!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional, Innovative, Delicious.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/23/2014Everything at Husk was amazing from start to finish. The service was very warm, attentive and friendly. And the food was out of this world. Perfect combination of classic and modern. Loved every bite. All of that set in a beautiful old Southern house. You can't go wrong with this place. Just make sure you book pretty far in advance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All reputationBinthereDined on 11/22/2014Took out of town guest because she'd heard such rave reviews. She was disappointed and I was not surprised. I live here and find too many other less pretentious places with dependably good food.Special Features:
- Have lunch!CharlestonFanDined on 11/21/2014If you can't get a dinner reservation, have lunch at Husk. Menu is every bit as creative and tasty. Lots of good choices! Great service! We had burger, catfish and mustard greens. All excellent! Potato wedges with burger should be a separate menu item they were so good. Nice wine at a decent price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Place in a Foodies townOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/21/2014Great place. Great food. Wonderful service. Try the lettuce wrapped pigs ear. Sound wierd, but delicious.. Hard to believe that in a town with so many good resturants, that there was another setting that could be captured, but the people of Husk have done it and have done it well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's in their facesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014We were pleased to have had an opportunity to enjoy the lunch fare and look forward to a future evening of culinary adventure based on our experience. Allow your resident expert to guide your tour as they are versed in the menu choices and their preparation. The server does something seen all too little these days. After asking if all meets your approval, they intently wait for an answer! Even though many reasons to expect a positive response, had earlier been delivered to your table. Pride is in the face of the server. They know you'll enjoy the items they bring. Prepared by folks, that i am certain, have that same look of knowing. All is done with the casual elegance expected in Charleston. To the reader, try Husk, then go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- How localJimtourist1and2Dined on 11/20/2014Great food but not a great meal. No Budweiser or Coors light makes it hard for those not into wine or the craft beer revival. Very good salad and very good desert (Arugulla and Bourbon Apple Cake) My entree despite its description of multiple vegetables made no mention of how finely they were chopped or that they came in a broth of some sort, difficult to appreciate. Server Leeann was very good and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Birthday Dinnertigergirl62VIPDined on 11/20/2014After waiting months to get a reservation, my husband and I went to Husk for my birthday. It lived up to my expectations and did not disappoint! The grouper was delicious and side of broccoli and roasted tomatoes was outstanding. The menu was very interesting and it was hard to decide what to get. My husband got the amberjack, all so good. The service was excellent, and for my birthday they let gave us a bottle of wine and dessert. I've never had a restaurant comp a bottle of wine for a birthday. Don't know why they chose to be so generous with us, but we will definitely be back. Thank you Husk for a great birthday celebration!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/20/2014I think Husk is coasting on its reputation. Nice room. Good service. However, the food was very heavy and the dishes not too well conceived, e.g. fatty ham stuffed with way underdone pork belly, or grouper literally swimming in a ham-based broth. My opinion, and its not worth the space this is printed on, is that Mr. Brock has too many Husks in the fire.Special Features:
- In my top 10 best meals of my lifeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/20/2014I have eaten in some of the most wonderful restaurants in the U.S. and Europe, and this restaurant was one of the best meals I have ever had. From NY to LA and in Europe, I've been lucky to have had many styles of cooking, and some absolutely incredible meals, and Husk has given me one of the most memorable. Expensive, and worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing value!!!buzztomDined on 11/20/2014Been there a few times before but this was my first lunch experience and the the value was AMAZING! This is one of the finest restaurants in Charlesgon and lunch was less than $65! ( No wine and only one of the three of us had a beer...) But their menu changes between lunch and dinner and daly for what local and regional farms and suppliers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique food, great ambiance, outstanding serviceRickLDined on 11/20/2014The lettuce wrap appetizer was amazing and the cheeseburger was like nothing I have ever experienced before ... best anywhere, hands down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday meal at HuskKateosDined on 11/18/2014I had been recommended Husk by colleagues in New York, and it didn't disappoint. A well thought out menu, very high quality local ingredients and a touch of the south. We were all happy. Expensive wine list was limiting, food was good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food, beautiful presentationregdinerwgdtasteDined on 11/18/2014Our server, Lee Ann was incredible. Not pushy, very knowledgeable of pairings and got that we were there for the food experience. Food was prepared just right. Loved it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AppsKimberDined on 11/17/2014The appetizers were out of this world, but the dinner was just fair. Had the duck and the pork and the pork was nothing but fat. Pretty gross and should have been caught by the chief. For such an upscale place, we were rather disappointed.Special Features:
- DisappointedPEGGYVIPDined on 11/17/2014Unfortunately, Husk didn't deliver. I heard such wonderful things about Husk. However, the menu is to ambitious. It was hard to follow. I had a hard time selecting my meal because almost everything was prepared with garlic. I was disappointed. Also, the wine prices are substantial. However, that would have been okay if we were satisfied with our meals.
- Wonderful!unhappyDined on 11/17/2014We had lunch at Husk and it was a totally delicious experience! The grits are the best, cheesiest, most wonderful in the world! The cornbread is what old Southern cornbread should be--not sweet at all! The experience was made even better by the great service. Our waiter whose name I regret not remembering was friendly, smiling, knowledgeable and fun. I can't say enough good things about this wonderful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Met and exceeded expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/15/2014Overall had an excellent experience at Husk. The food and service were top-notch. It was a bit loud in the dining room especially for a 9:45pm reservation. But overall it was an excellent experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a special occasion!CurlyDined on 11/15/2014Loved the atmosphere & decor! Food was good and on the lighter side! My husbands duck was not hot but the server took his entree immediately back to the kitchen and was replaced very quick. The manager came by to ensure we were very satisfied! The desserts were awesome! My only complaint was how close our table was to the table next to us. A must visit for Charleston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A MUST visitKarenVIPDined on 11/15/2014Exceptional in everyway! From the lovely receptionist who greets you, to the décor, ambiance, and creative meals. The menu is outstanding and fresh farm to table cuisine. Delicious, scrumptious....5 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I would put this on my "must" list for Charleston.BobK1130Dined on 11/15/2014Outstanding. A "must" for any trip to Charleston. Great bar. The staff really knows their menu selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the waitNoelDined on 11/14/2014We chose Husk because of a rave review from our daughter several years ago. It lived up to the billing and the wait. Both main courses were outstanding: a simple fish dish perfectly cooked and a more elaborate duck with red-eye gravy and smoked cabbage. When I asked, the waitress tilted me toward the duck for its more complicated flavors and selected a complementary wine. Wonderful advice in a low-key manner. Glad we didn't skip dessert as we often do. The chocolate peanut pie was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IdealOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/14/2014This is cooking from your home if mom was a chef. Simple, classic recipes and basic ingredients that we all use, it managed a level of elegance that is only seen with flawless execution.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014Food and service were excellent. Great blending of different flavors in dishes that you do not see on every menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really great!JhekkDined on 11/13/2014Really great ambiance and friendly service. Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what we expectedScottandAmyDined on 11/13/2014The atmosphere was mostly bland and generic. The food was good, but I would not say that it was great, and I had heard such great things about this restaurant that getting decent food was a disappointment. The service was very unremarkable - I would not say that it was bad but it was not great. I would not return, there are many more unique and good restaurants in Charleston.
- damOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/13/2014Outstanding restaurant and one of the best meals I have ever had. If I worked for Michelin I would have to give it a high rating!! If you are in Charleston you should make the stop!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyRushDined on 11/12/2014We had a very nice experience. The food was very good..I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is the starOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/11/2014Everything was wonderful - the food, the service, the drinks. We'd booked the reservation late in the day (930 PM) and the hostess called us around 7:00 to let us know we could arrive earlier which was a nice touch. I know the menu changes frequently, but if the grits are on the menu ORDER THEM. You will not be sorry. We also had the Pig's Ear lettuce wraps and fried chicken skins for starters which were both excellent. In our group of four, we each had a different main and shared those & the sides. Everyone agreed the beef dish was the best, but all plates were excellent. I know there is a ton of hype about the restaurant, but that hype is 100% warranted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!!!!!!LisaDined on 11/11/2014All around Awesome!!!!!! Loved the pork dish. Delicious cocktails and great wine list to compliment the food. Couldn't ask for a better atmosphere.Special Features:
- WonderfulCC123Dined on 11/11/2014My husband and I were celebrating my birthday with our friends and chose Husk on their recommendation. We all had wonderful meals except for the oysters my husband had that night. He loves oysters and his favorite place to order them is at Old Ebbitts Grill in Washington, DC. These oysters were small and he didn't care for the taste. We all loved the farm to table idea and the changing menu. Our service was terrific. We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious local find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/11/2014Delicious! My wife and I had a wonderful meal here for dinner one of our first nights on a trip to Charleston. We asked for a gluten free meal because of celiac disease, and they were incredibly knowledgable and accommodating for us with several menu items to offer. Wonderful ambience, and we will absolutely return next time we are in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food.SFdinerVIPDined on 11/11/2014Food is great! Suggest add a candle to table tops to improve ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/10/2014Food was excellent - server was terrific. Pricey, but worth it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/10/2014everything was excellent! service was fantastic, food top notch, including the pig's ears. Having the bar next door might not be for everyone especially if weather is poor. However, we loved the old building it was in, great rustic vibe. Drinks menu was a mini-history lesson, which we also appreciated, we learned a few new fun facts.Special Features:
- Lunch ExcellencebohicketladyDined on 11/10/2014Our first visit to Husk was for an intimate birthday lunch for two. We shared the wings which had a magnificent presentation served in a wooden burl bowl. We both agreed that it was perhaps the best that have ever passed our lips - a heavenly delight! And, the warm-wet napkins to cleanse our fingers afterwards were unexpected and a marvelous touch. We both ordered the sliced steak which was equally delicious and tender with just a hint of wood fire. Each plate was "mopped" clean by their wonderfully warm rolls. Our pleasant waiter brought the birthday boy a sweet potato buttermilk chess pie with a candle. I believe that his birthday wish when he blew out his candle was to return to Husk again and again.Special Features:
- Best MealAna2016Dined on 11/9/2014Easily, one of the best meals I have had. Great, fresh ingredients. Everything was cooked to perfection, including the sweet potato chess pie.Special Features:
- AMAZINGJPBeckerDined on 11/9/2014This was the perfect end to the tail end of our trip to Charleston. We had seen the executive Chef Sean Brock on MIND OF A CHEF, and new we wanted to visit his restaurant once we had seen the show. It did not disappoint, it took southern cuisine to a whole new level. Food, drinks, wait staff, ambiance all were amazing.Special Features: