Hu's Asian Bistro Downtown
Shaw Park, One Portage Avenue East
Winnipeg, MB R3B 3N3Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: CAN$30 and under
Hu's Asian Bistro Downtown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.husonfirstasianbistro.ca/
- Phone: 2049827426
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm; Sunday (Game day): 11:30am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Kyle Julien
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Call for private party details.
- Private Party Contact: Bryon Hamilton 2049827426
A word from Hu's Asian Bistro Downtown
Inspired by tradition & innovation, Hu's is a celebration of the tastes of the Orient set in a trendy, urban bistro. Hu's is first & foremost about people having tons of fun in an exotic and luxurious world of tastes, sights, smells & sounds.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hu's Asian Bistro Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/21/2012I have gone to Hu's on first before and had received excellent service from mostly male service personnel. This time I received a dismal service. The restaurant was not busy at all. Two of my friends and came at 1 pm. The service was slow and poor. The couple that came after us had their orders taken and served before us. Took orders for drink as soon as we sat but took long to serve. No refills of drinks were offered until we asked for them towards the end of the meal. I asked for refill of my coffee, the server did not come back for my coffee. I had to ask another server. The servers ( all women) were gathered near the bar chatting among themselves. Our server did not even asked how our food were tasting
- Food was not up to what IOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/11/2012Food was not up to what I have experienced in the past. Rice was dry and hard, wrong kind of lettuce served with lettuce wrap appetizer. Best part of the meal was the lovely waitress.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere! Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/8/2012Great atmosphere! Great food (but my friend thought his rice was on the cool side). Friendly service. I would come back here anytime.Special Features:
- AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/8/2012Nice and clean, but too noisy though! We don't like having to yell at each other just to eat dinner. If people want to go there for snacks and to drink, they should be separated from those of us who want a dining experience.Special Features:
- By the windows is very coldOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/7/2012By the windows is very cold which I actually don't mind except that it made out food cold also.
- we had a Christmas Party thatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/7/2012we had a Christmas Party that was loud beside us and a few people that were louder that we couldnt talk to each other.
- We were served promptly andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/7/2012We were served promptly and our food was delicious.Special Features:
- We were there for lunch withOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/4/2012We were there for lunch with an out of town couple. Food was disappointing as only one of four enjoyed his/her meal.The server, service, ambiance and view just about made up for the food. I won't be rushing back any time soon.Special Features:
- Bad Day at Hu'sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/26/2012Good morning, It's not often that I respond but when I do it's ussualy positive. Unfortunatley, this won't be. I ordered the s+s pork/beans/brown rice while my colleague ordered the ginger beef/brown rice. At the end of the meeting we both commented to each other that the rice was awnful and was hard as a rock. That would explain why the both of us picked at our meal and left half on the plate. The waitress did not come by to ask how things were. However,she did ask while I was paying and when I offered her my comments on the rice, she responded by saying...."yeah, I heard that too and I don't know why that is." It's not what I was expecting to hear. The irony is that I provided 15% gratuity for poor service and food quality.
- Kind of missed the steamingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/17/2012Kind of missed the steaming plate of Chow Mein that used to come on a wooden plank. Had a visitor in from Germany and had told him all about it and was disappointed not to have that any longer.
- Go every year in NovemberAnniversaryDined on 11/17/2012Go every year in November to enjoy the great food and watch the Santa Clause parade. We have not been disappointed.
- We love the fact that theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/31/2012We love the fact that the portions have gotten bigger and the food was delicious. I love the promos that they had for October, free appetizer. November is 10.00 off order over 20.00. Great restaurant. We love itSpecial Features:
- i'll be backOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2012I would like to commend Hu's for a great experience with excellent service provided by the host, and most notably our server. The cashew beef was tasty and the serving size was definitely ample. Our guest from Toronto was also very impressed. well done!Special Features:
- I have been to this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2012I have been to this restaurant many times. Was disappointed with the Menu and food, especially the entree's.Their Menu has changed. The appetisers were good. Service was goodSpecial Features:
- I've been at this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/13/2012I've been at this restaurant 3 times and I'm always Satisfied about the food and the service. Waitress are always super nice and they make you feel special and unique. They take any complaints really seriously, they just want you to have the most enjoyable experience. I really like the ambiance.Special Features:
- Quite loud. Difficult to haveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/13/2012Quite loud. Difficult to have a conversation. Good food and service.Special Features:
- Food was very good, reasonablyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/13/2012Food was very good, reasonably sized portions. Serving person was friendly and knowledgeable about the menu.
- I love the Honey Glazed AlmondOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2012I love the Honey Glazed Almond Chicken - hmm,hmm good.Special Features:
- Been to Hu's on many occasionsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/5/2012Been to Hu's on many occasions and find it to be a great place for a good beer or great Asian fare. Bet it would be agood place tonwatch the ball game at as well.Special Features:
- The only thing we found wasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/30/2012The only thing we found was that the rice cooker for brown rice was not working. For those who are conscience of what they eat, this was a bit of a inconvenience. Other than that, Hu's is always a great place to dine.Special Features:
- We would have preferred aOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2012We would have preferred a larger table for our party of 6. It was increadibly squishy and crowded when we got our food even though the waitress insisted that she could make the food all fit. That was very dissapointing and took the fun out of sharing the dishes we had ordered. Also, they did not have the only 2 types of beer that I drink: Molson 67 (they do not carry) and Michelob Ultra (they were out).
- Gave a writen request forOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/15/2012Gave a writen request for a booth, restaurant only had a few people. They tried to seat us at a table in the middle of the room when there was a booth open. We had to ask the hostess to move us. Our waitress was average at best.Special Features:
- On Sept 8 at 6 p.m. our anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/8/2012On Sept 8 at 6 p.m. our anniversary celebration. This was my 4th time at this restaurant. Waitress was very good, friendly, informative and attentive. We ordered Green Curray Satays for an appitizer. It was good. Once it came we ordered our meals. Our dinners came immediately after our app. plates were cleared. My husband had the General Tao' chicken. It was spicey, very good. I had the Honey Glazed ALmond Chichen. I was greatly disapointed. It was panko crusted. But my chicken had a thick crust, it was dry, hard, chewy. Seemed all crust and no chicken. I ate what I could. What I left on my plate I showed to our waitress. She apologized and gave us a 25% employee discount. We were finished before 7 p.m. Felt a little rushed.
- memorableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/7/2012Dined on the patio, nice surprise that the Goldeyes were playing. Service was excellent, food was. great.will definetaly be back. Thanks for making our birthday dinner memorable.Special Features:
- Was our first time. EverythingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2012Was our first time. Everything was great. The service was excellent. The price was right. Will come again.Special Features:
- Waitress was not very friendly.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2012Waitress was not very friendly. The food did come out fast which was good, but she forgot an item we ordered and did not apologize. She did not come to see how the food was either. She also did not thank us for the tip after she processed the bill. We noticed her chatting at other tables of customers she knew. We may not return, although we did enjoy the food and atmosphere.
- Food was great but our serverOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2012Food was great but our server seemed to be in a hurry to get us out. He was always rushing usSpecial Features:
- My friends and I (9 in total)OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2012My friends and I (9 in total) really loved and enjoyed our dinner! This was the first time any of us had been there. The prices were very reasonable and the food was really good. Our server was also pleasant and came by often. It wasn't very busy (only 2-3 other tables) which meant we could talk with each other without shouting over the din. The atmosphere was also very nice. We would for sure head there again, I would recommend your bistro to people I know.Special Features:
- we arrived shortly after 6OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2012we arrived shortly after 6 were shown to our seats immediatly.our waitress brought our menues right away and took our drink orders. we took our time studying the menu and ordered. we ordered another drink and vthe waitress appologised for the delay in our order. we were not in a hurray and it really did not appear to us there was a delay our meal was served we ate paid the tab and were in our seats at the ball diamond at 7:05 the waitress deducted the price of the appitizer for the delay of service even though we insisted it was not a huge delay fantastic service fantastic food fantastic resturant definatly will return and recommend others try itSpecial Features:
- The food was excellent andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2012The food was excellent and our server was attentive but not overly so. The only downside of our entire meal was that the General Tao chicken was not as spicy as expected. But we will live and learn and get the two chili dish next time. The dishes were all reasonably priced.Special Features:
- The food is always excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2012The food is always excellent. The service is great. It is a great place for those special occasions.Special Features:
- We went on a Goldeye night...wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/28/2012We went on a Goldeye night...was busy,but no problems....The outside patio was booked for a private function,so we could not enjoy the beautiful weather...food was great!!!
- don't eat much Asian food,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2012don't eat much Asian food, but still good. enjoyable.Special Features:
- Food was very good, quickOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/14/2012Food was very good, quick service so we made it to the ballgame on times, prices very good as well. All ready have recommended to others.Special Features:
- The food was fantastic! TheOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/13/2012The food was fantastic! The service could have been better with more attention from the staff. We had a really great time and would go back again.Special Features:
- One of our favourite restaurants...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2012One of our favourite restaurants..........we are always treated so well! Front desk, server and management. Food portions are generous and tasty.Special Features:
- I've had better here before.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/6/2012Our little table for 6 could hardly hold all of the appetizer dishes and keep our cutlery above board. My drink order came back wrong once (wrong kind of Caesar) and our server seemed to be in a hurry for us to order though the restaurant was less than half full. Four giggly, preteen, girls made frequent trips from the balcony to washroom and that was mildly annoying. Ok that's the site, on to the food. I tried several appetizers: crab wontons - very good, lettuce wraps - ask for iceberg lettuce if you can, dry ribs - very tasty and plentiful, calamari - I've had better at the Keg, green curry satay - mild and almost flavorless. My entree was General Tao's Chicken and while it was a large serving it was simply alright.Special Features:
- Very good food, very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/27/2012Very good food, very good service. Unfortunately too noisy for me. I'd recommend it to others, with a warning about the noise.
- It was a hitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/22/2012It was a fabulous experience. We had tickets to the ball game and had coupons and we had a great waitress and it all went as expected and more.Special Features:
- Great food but sour waiter.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/18/2012Great food, however, the dining experience was ruined by the waiter's demeanour.Special Features: