Hunter's Head Tavern
9048 John Mosby Highway
Upperville, VA 20184Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
Hunter's Head Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.huntersheadtavern.com/
- Phone: 5405929020
- Hours of Operation:
Open seven days a week.
Monday - Saturday 11:30 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.
Sunday 11:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. (Brunch), 2:30 a.m. - 9:30 p.m. regular menu
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Comfort Food, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Ayrshire Farm
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, High Tea, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: A custom menu can be designed specially for your occasion. Please contact the General Manager at 540.592.9020
- Private Party Facilities: Hunter’s Head Tavern welcomes your private party reservations for 10 to 35 people. If interested, contact the General Manager at 540.592.9020.
- Private Party Contact: General Manager 5405929020
- Entertainment: Dogs (and cats) are welcome to dine with you on the patio. For your convenience a Furry Foodie™ Dinner maybe ordered off the menu for your pet.
A word from Hunter's Head Tavern
Experience our English-style Pub that serves traditional pub fare, fine dining cuisine and mouthwatering homemade desserts. Entrees and appetizers feature local farm meats (Certified Humane® and Certified Organic) as well as local produce. From our famous burgers, to roasted chickens, to veal and pork chops, Hunter's Head Tavern provides a unique opportunity for customers to dine with confidence. Our main ingredients come from farms dedicated to maintaining the health and well-being of their animals as well as the land. Domestic and imported beers are available on tap along with an excellent wine selection including local and organic choices. Five different dining rooms and extensive outdoor seating during the warm seasons provide a dynamic dining experience whether you are looking for a family-friendly, romantic or cozy neighborhood environment. Pets are also welcome to dine on the patio.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Hunter's Head Tavern - Best Restaurants in Upperville ›
Hunter's Head Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
112 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (88)neighborhood gem (68)great for lunch (58)fit for foodies (49)special occasion (43)great for brunch (41)romantic (37)kid-friendly (37)good for groups (33)scenic view (17)hot spot (9)notable wine list (8)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (5)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014We came to celebrate our 28th wedding Anniversary. This was our first visit and I have to say we enjoyed ourselves very much. This experience reminded us of living in Williamsburg, Virginia and dining at the Colonial Williamsburg Taverns. Thank you for a loving evening. Looking forward to visiting again soon!Special Features:
- K-9 approvedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We had a lovely dinner, relaxed, great food and our dog, Lulu, loved her dinner as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the drive!MikeyDined on 9/27/2014The drive to upperville is lovely! Where else can you get good British food that even pleases a vegetarian? The HH really delivered. Shepherds pie was great and a sizable portion. Vegetarian lasagna was probably the best we have ever had at a restaurant. And the pub like easy going energy all across the restaurant was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/27/2014Wonderful British style pub with traditional menu and bar service. Comfortable rooms in restored 18th century house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Country TavernIluvVirginiaDined on 9/27/2014A charming and popular authentic tavern with fabulous outdoor seating. Great tavern style fare with modified self service (you order at the bar and they do the rest). It would work better when it's not crowded. Experience the 18th century inside!Special Features:
- Upperville GemTJTLDined on 9/23/2014Great food, awesome architecture and great outdoor space too. You have to try this wonderful spot full or classic pub fare and comfort foods.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of the BestJonnylawDined on 9/22/2014Hunter's Head Tavern is one of the best places in Virginia. With a rotating menu of items based on the time of year, to the shear quality of food they serve, it's a place I go back to time and time again. Atmosphere is number one at Hunter's Head. The indoor dinning is a fantastic romantic spot and their outdoor seating is uniquely lovely. If you haven't been, go. If you have been, go back. I love this place.Special Features:
- a constant joy!perfectplacesDined on 9/20/2014In the 11years I have lived in Vienna, Va, this lovely gem continues to be my favorite!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hunters losing it's headLynnsreviewVIPDined on 9/13/2014It has been a while since we had been and I had heard things had gone downhill. Well when I was greatest by a roach by the order board I was worried! The service was slow the place was do dim it looked like they were hiding something and the food was old. What a shame because it used to be good not anymore
- A gem in UppervilletastyfoodcookDined on 9/13/2014wonderful pub food. wait staff a bit snippy and service slow, but overall a very happy experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as alwaysBigFamilyDined on 9/7/2014Son's birthday dinner was fantastic. This is one of our family favorites. Thank you!Special Features:
- A favoriteHaymarketgalDined on 9/7/2014Hunter's Head is one of our favorites when we have a special occasion to celebrate, or even when we don't. The food is always terrific.HaymarketSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Delicious locally sourced food. Rain pushed us inside this time ... Cozy, but I prefer outside dining option as our service outside has been better than it was inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very helpfulWeezerVIPDined on 9/6/2014The staff took good care of us and my wheelchair bound sister managed well there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PERFECT!ErinPDined on 8/31/2014I treated my husband and best friend (a British ex-pat, no less) to Hunters Head for their birthdays. My best friend RAVED at the menu and taste of home! The food is fresh, authentic and beyond delicious! I only wish I lived closer, but Upperville is within reach and a beautiful drive to boot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice dinnerhealthypickyeaterDined on 8/26/2014took my mom here on a whim and as always they deliveredSpecial Features:
- DJCQDined on 8/23/2014Authentic British pub. Good pub fare, variety of beer in Imperial pint glasses!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sorry - this is a no goRickVIPDined on 8/16/2014Outside seating is not part of the reservation system - thus my table was at the entrance to the kitchen despite the fact that about 18 seats were open on the outside patio. So, my wife and I had dinner with lots of traffic with servers carrying dirty dishes and kitchen noise overshadowing the meal. The food was good - but nothing to remember. Wine was flat (or stale).
- anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014We have been regular customers for several years and we love the charm and ambience every time we come back. Hunter's Head gives you the intimacy of a pub with great food and very friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Organic & non GMO delicious!shadowoodDined on 8/10/2014One of our favorite places to dine. Consistently good food, drink and service. WE love to take our visitors there. Winter has fireside seating. Summer has outdoor patio.Special Features:
- Very nice placeUSNDOC8404Dined on 8/9/2014Well, I really liked that I could make a reservation online and received a confirmation. My first impression was not good, the parking is a nightmare. Early arrivals parked crooked and left no space for others making the already small parking lot hold even less. I was a little early so I waited for someone to leave as there was no other clear place to park. I expected this place to be crowded as it was a Saturday. We sat outside (seating is "first come") and informed the waitress we were waiting on other people for our reservation. They were very accommodating, our waitress was very attentive and quick. The weather cooperated so we stayed outside. The food was not great, Shepard's Pie isn't complicated but it was bland. Overall very good.Special Features:
- Not always worth the $$$JAVADined on 8/9/2014Have been going to Hunter's Head for lunch 2-3 times a month for the past 2 years. It is pricey ($15 hamburger), but the food has always been good. Went for dinner for the first time this past weekend and it was disappointing. It was $150 for three of us for dinner, each getting a beer with dinner and splitting one appetizer. Fried Chicken was really dry and the biscuits were so dense that you could not bite into. Short ribs were not cooked long enough, tough and rubbery. We left more than half of our food behind.Special Features:
- Good Food, atmosphere, butjoeyDined on 8/9/2014I had the rainbow trout, which may have been the best tasting I ever had. My date had the fried chicken, which was more than enough to eat. We had dinner outside. The garden view was most pleasant. But, when I went to order, there appeared eight people ahead of me. The person taking the food order would make us wait while she filled the drink orders when there was a bartender right next to her. My date had to wait alone at a table while I stood in line waiting to order. I had already taken drinks to our table so we could review the menu with drinks. The person taking the food orders should not be taking time to fill drink orders. There were four or five behind me. Otherwise the service was good. I would love to return.Special Features:
- Pet FriendlyBorntDined on 8/3/2014Love that people can bring their dogs and sit on the patio. Excellent staff. A great place to just chill out.Special Features:
- Summer Sunday Lunch in the GardenAnnetastesDined on 8/3/2014Always a favorite - and a place we LOVE to share with visiting friends and family. Once again it was a big hit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historic Venuepreacher43Dined on 8/3/2014The outdoor tables with umbrellas provide a pleasant eating and talking atmosphere. Staff were gracious and service was good. We had a happy Sunday brunch, even though orders have to be placed at an inside window rather than from the table. The entire place feels old in a good way, but bathrooms are not adequate for crowds and were rather trashed up even when we arrived at noon on Sunday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nonenoneDined on 8/2/2014Previous experiences, the food was great. Not so this visit.
- Love the staff & high quality mealsSusiBDined on 8/2/2014We count this among our favorite restaurants in Virginia and DC. The Hunter's Head Tavern is a true gem in terms of an overall enjoyable dining experience! We have brought countless friends and family members to dine here and everyone of them enjoyed the charm and delicious food.Special Features:
- Casual Diningluv2boutDined on 8/2/2014Great place to go to for causal dining. Relaxed atmosphere. Lovely outdoor dining for fair weather days and cozy indoor dining for the cold seasons. Great for lunch and dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CelebrationLuvgoodfoodDined on 8/1/2014Our family met in one of Hunter's Head Tavern's large meeting rooms to celebrate Dad's 80th birthday. What a memorable evening for all of us--delicious food, outstanding service, great atmosphere for our special occasion. Whether it's dinner for 2 or a family celebration, Hunter's Head Tavern is a perfect choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neat PlaceFishVIPDined on 8/1/2014Definately a place we will come back to again. Lovely, quaint pub atmosphere and the food was delicious.Special Features:
- Great English-style pub in VirginiawmsedgarDined on 7/31/2014Great stop for lunch or dinner. We loved dining outside. Food was very good for price. Casual and relaxed. Wonderful stop in a beautiful village.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RonWDined on 7/29/2014Historic scene for dining - I liked the order first, then take a seatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PubDaveVIPDined on 7/27/2014Hunter's Head Tavern is as close to an authentic English Pub as one can get without crossing the Atlantic. We eat there about every six weeks on average and are never disappointed. Excellent dishes, with fresh ingredients locally supplied; a wide variety of beverage choices and excellent service -at a reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food, Classic AmbienceSuares23Dined on 7/27/2014Hunter's Head Tavern is the restaurant owned by Ayrshire Farm, a magnificent enterprise devoted to the raising of heritage livestock. One will simply not find better or more "natural" food than one finds here. It is not possible to describe the difference between agribusiness meats and Ayrshire Farm's offerings. If you find yourself within 50 miles of Hunter's Head Tavern, make a reservation and treat yourself to a truly wonderful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Farm to Fork PlaceLovetheIslandsVIPDined on 7/26/2014The food just taste really fresh here, nothing too exotic, great basic lunch dishes. Outstanding desserts!Special Features:
- Enjoyable TimeSepticDined on 7/20/2014This was my first time eating here and overall things went well. Food delicious and a wide selection. After sitting down our waiter introduced himself and brought us our bread. The food did not take very long to come out of the kitchen and was correct and hot. Staff was attentive and did not let the drinks go empty. Atmosphere nice; you were able to eat either outside or inside and they even allowed dogs if eating outside. Plenty of parking. The selection of beers and ales was not very good. Only one ale from England, the rest were from the States and there were no real cask ales, something you would expect to find at a place like this. Overall a good experience and would definitely go back for another lunch/dinner there.Special Features:
- British pubOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2014Old British pub, don't let the order from the bar fool u, great service and great food. Would go back anytime!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Feels like IrelandMEB1VIPDined on 7/18/2014Best Strongbow on tap in the tristate area with burgers that mean business. Dining on their patio is amazing. I love this place. Locally grown and raised food in a wonderful atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- colonial style pub/restaurantKeyrockDined on 7/13/2014Wonderful food, great atmosphere, beautiful setting. The only problem was that I needed a fly swatter inside the restaurant. Hopefully an isolated incident. But, would still recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.