Hunter's Head Tavern
9048 John Mosby Highway
Upperville, VA 20184Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
Hunter's Head Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.huntersheadtavern.com/
- Phone: (540) 592-9020
- Hours of Operation:
Open seven days a week.
Monday - Saturday 11:30 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.
Sunday 11:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. (Brunch), 2:30 a.m. - 9:30 p.m. regular menu
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Comfort Food, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Ayrshire Farm
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, High Tea, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: A custom menu can be designed specially for your occasion. Please contact the General Manager at 540.592.9020
- Private Party Facilities: Hunter’s Head Tavern welcomes your private party reservations for 10 to 35 people. If interested, contact the General Manager at 540.592.9020.
- Private Party Contact: General Manager 5405929020
- Entertainment: Dogs (and cats) are welcome to dine with you on the patio. For your convenience a Furry Foodie™ Dinner maybe ordered off the menu for your pet.
A word from Hunter's Head Tavern
Experience our English-style Pub that serves traditional pub fare, fine dining cuisine and mouthwatering homemade desserts. Entrees and appetizers feature local farm meats (Certified Humane® and Certified Organic) as well as local produce. From our famous burgers, to roasted chickens, to veal and pork chops, Hunter's Head Tavern provides a unique opportunity for customers to dine with confidence. Our main ingredients come from farms dedicated to maintaining the health and well-being of their animals as well as the land. Domestic and imported beers are available on tap along with an excellent wine selection including local and organic choices. Five different dining rooms and extensive outdoor seating during the warm seasons provide a dynamic dining experience whether you are looking for a family-friendly, romantic or cozy neighborhood environment. Pets are also welcome to dine on the patio.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Hunter's Head Tavern - Best Restaurants in Upperville ›
Hunter's Head Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
116 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (77)neighborhood gem (69)great for lunch (61)fit for foodies (51)special occasion (41)romantic (37)great for brunch (36)kid-friendly (32)good for groups (31)scenic view (22)hot spot (14)vibrant bar scene (9)notable wine list (7)late-night find (7)Show More
- Fantastic service!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014The food came out really fast, hot and fresh. A merry fire was crackling in the room near our table for 11 at brunch on a cold Sunday. The staff was positive, cheerful and responsive. Great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Your wait staff is most accomodating, and charmingClaireDined on 11/15/2014The food is attractively presented and delicious. I sensed a upgrade in all aspects of service and food presentation. Thank you for being there!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwaysAvsummDined on 11/15/2014We eat at Hunter's Head quite often and are never disappointed. The food is always excellent and we always enjoy our time there. We love to sit outside and even in the winter with the cover and the heaters it is still quite nice. I love the chicken pot pie and have it quite often. The chicken pot pie and their grilled cheese are 2 of my favorite things to order here. Our daughter also has a dog and she loves that she can bring him and sit outside and he is fine and they will bring him water and there are usually a numbe dogs there. We love Hunter's Head.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/13/2014my favorite restaurant in the Upperville/Middleburg VA areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PubFoodie101Dined on 11/9/2014Loved the Old tavern feel, well done. We dined out on the patio which was perfect for us. The menu had a good selection and staff where very attentive. We will be returning, the online reservations made it easy to book our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gruff staff. food mediocre at best.traveler1Dined on 11/8/2014Gruff staff, who expected you to undersrand their unique ordering system. Food was pricey and mediocre at best.Special Features:
- Wonderful place to dine either in or outside.NonicknameDined on 11/8/2014Hunter's Head Tavern is a very cozy place to dine on a cold fall day seated by the fire dining on delicious items from the menu and sipping a lovely glass of wine. The fare on the menu is different from many other eating establishments which makes it a unique dining experience and paired with beer or wine is a complete delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great lunch experienceSmartycatDined on 11/8/2014This was my second visit in less than a week and as usual,it did not disappoint. Food was great, ambience was wonderful, and I can't wait for my next trip here!Special Features:
- Superb dining experienceSmartycatDined on 11/3/2014Hunters Head Tavern is the kind of place that beckons especially in the autumn. The drive here, from anywhere, takes one past rolling pastures and lush fall foliage. It whets the appetite for hearty comfort food, and that's just what HHT serves. I had an amazing butternut squash lasagne with goat cheese and a green salad,and my friend had a Cobb salad with roast chicken that tasted just like Thanksgiving turkey! Oh my! The food here comes from nearby Ayrshire Farm where they raise organically and humanely, and that knowledge makes everything taste even better. I'm happy -- and eager -- to be back here this Saturday to celebrate another friend's birthday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- British VibeRobFromDCVIPDined on 11/2/2014We enjoyed our meal at Hunter’s Head Tavern. Historic building and very colonial. The set up requires you to order centrally, which was not well explained by the hostess. The atmosphere is great and food is gastro pub staples like Bangers and Mash, Fish and Chips, etc. Well recommended in you are in the Middleburg area.Special Features:
- Always a treatBuzzsawDined on 11/2/2014We travel from near Fredericksburg to dine here. Always a treat, always great service, always a memorable event. Besides the great food and service, the drive through the country to get to Upperville is always pleasurable.Special Features:
- hastingsDined on 11/2/2014Very noisy, so difficult to talk. Too crowded. Food good, but not excellent.Special Features:
- Historic CharmerBobPVDined on 11/1/2014If you want a real treat of ambiance, excellent food, nice service and fair prices, this is a must-visit location. Fall and winter are excellent times because the atmosphere lends itself to the cozy and rustic nature of the setting. Coupled with wood burning fireplaces, it is a treat for the bountiful comfort food. It has the best liver and onions I have ever had and I am an expert. Don't expect a church-quiet setting. It can get a little noisy from all the conversations and the wood walls don't dampen the sound. You will not regret the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatAgreatagentDined on 10/30/2014The Ultimate Yum! The food is creatively unique and wholesome! The Ambiance is warm and friendly. Staff is very efficient and responsive providing excellence in customer service! This restaurant was so worth the trip. A Must Return!Special Features:
- 4bestfriendsDined on 10/30/2014Reserved a table for a late lunch after browsing Middleburg. How fitting.......lunch at a historic tavern after visiting a historic town. Ordering our food was done at what looked like a carrry-out window, which was a little confusing. People standing around made it a little difficult to read the chalk board menu. After ordering, we were told where to sit and then a waiter took care of us. I would definitely take out of town guests there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful as always!kneelDined on 10/29/2014This is my favorite restaurant. The food is always delicious and of a healthy quality. It exudes freshness unsurpassed by most restaurants as well as offering mostly organics looking forward to returning..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- does not disappointEieiomDined on 10/26/2014so glad we made a reservation on open table. note to self - when it's a beautiful fall day, even at 2 in the afternoon, hunter's head is hopping. the parking lot was full with tons of motorcycles and lots of people out for a gorgeous afternoon drive. hh had a very nice corner booth ready for us when we arrived and lunch was served with a pleasant smile by a very busy waitress. our companions' super salad and welsh rarebit were so fresh; my husband's fish and chips and my ayshire beef stew tasted delicious. i'd skip the fresh oysters which were on the paltry side. even so, hh is always worth the drive out to the rolling, beautiful countryside that makes one realize how lucky we are to be living in this part of the world.Special Features:
- Excellent Birthday celebrationDeniseDined on 10/25/2014Although extremely busy, The staff were very attentive and pleasant! The food was incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently wonderfulCaptainWillDined on 10/24/2014Hunter's Head Tavern is a personal favorite. The clientele is a mix of locals from the Virginia hunt and farm country and those seeking respite from Washington, DC. The foot, mostly locally sourced, is always fresh and tasty and professionally prepared. The staff is friendly and welcoming. This is always a great evening.Special Features:
- On the farmFoody4funDined on 10/19/2014Service was outstanding, friendly. Food was soooo greasy (breakfast) I had heartburn the entire day. Also, for the price I didn't like that you have to order at a window in the bar and bring your own beverages to the table.Special Features:
- Consistently goodADBrantDined on 10/18/2014I took one of my friends here after a wine fest over the weekend. I told her the food was great and the place had character. Never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LTvBDined on 10/12/2014Delicious food, great friendly service- perfect for all occasions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MoonshadowFarmDined on 10/11/2014Hunter's Head is our reliably great local restaurant!!! My husband only got 2 small pieces of fish on his fish and chips and his fries were cold.....but he didn't complain until he got home. Everyone else had a great meal. Service is good. Did have to ash for lemons 3x for our water....but that was not a big deal. Always lively atmosphere!!!Special Features:
- Black Dog FarmerBlackDogFarmerDined on 10/11/2014Very nice evening. We availed ourselves of mixed drinks and beer on tap, as well as a mix of traditional pub food (Shepherd's pie, bangers and mash) and evening specials, and it all arrived promptly and at the right temperature. Bread was delicious, as was dessert.Special Features:
- JimandJoAnneDined on 10/6/2014Excellent British style service with ample servings of superbly prepared courses. Prices are reasonable, selection is large, and all items are fresh from their farm. The Wiener schnitzel and salmon salad were outstanding. We highly recommend Hunter's Head Tavern for lunch or for any special dining ocassion.Special Features:
- A favorite for all occasions!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014We are fairly new to the area and do not dine out very often. We have found that Hunters Head is the favored choice for nearly all occasions. We often bring visitors and they are always pleased with the food, service and ambience. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AbbieDined on 9/28/2014We came to celebrate our 28th wedding Anniversary. This was our first visit and I have to say we enjoyed ourselves very much. This experience reminded us of living in Williamsburg, Virginia and dining at the Colonial Williamsburg Taverns. Thank you for a loving evening. Looking forward to visiting again soon!Special Features:
- K-9 approvedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We had a lovely dinner, relaxed, great food and our dog, Lulu, loved her dinner as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the drive!MikeyDined on 9/27/2014The drive to upperville is lovely! Where else can you get good British food that even pleases a vegetarian? The HH really delivered. Shepherds pie was great and a sizable portion. Vegetarian lasagna was probably the best we have ever had at a restaurant. And the pub like easy going energy all across the restaurant was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/27/2014Wonderful British style pub with traditional menu and bar service. Comfortable rooms in restored 18th century house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Country TavernIluvVirginiaDined on 9/27/2014A charming and popular authentic tavern with fabulous outdoor seating. Great tavern style fare with modified self service (you order at the bar and they do the rest). It would work better when it's not crowded. Experience the 18th century inside!Special Features:
- Upperville GemTJTLDined on 9/23/2014Great food, awesome architecture and great outdoor space too. You have to try this wonderful spot full or classic pub fare and comfort foods.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of the BestJonnylawDined on 9/22/2014Hunter's Head Tavern is one of the best places in Virginia. With a rotating menu of items based on the time of year, to the shear quality of food they serve, it's a place I go back to time and time again. Atmosphere is number one at Hunter's Head. The indoor dinning is a fantastic romantic spot and their outdoor seating is uniquely lovely. If you haven't been, go. If you have been, go back. I love this place.Special Features:
- a constant joy!perfectplacesDined on 9/20/2014In the 11years I have lived in Vienna, Va, this lovely gem continues to be my favorite!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hunters losing it's headLynnsreviewVIPDined on 9/13/2014It has been a while since we had been and I had heard things had gone downhill. Well when I was greatest by a roach by the order board I was worried! The service was slow the place was do dim it looked like they were hiding something and the food was old. What a shame because it used to be good not anymore
- A gem in UppervilletastyfoodcookDined on 9/13/2014wonderful pub food. wait staff a bit snippy and service slow, but overall a very happy experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as alwaysBigFamilyDined on 9/7/2014Son's birthday dinner was fantastic. This is one of our family favorites. Thank you!Special Features:
- A favoriteHaymarketgalDined on 9/7/2014Hunter's Head is one of our favorites when we have a special occasion to celebrate, or even when we don't. The food is always terrific.HaymarketSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Delicious locally sourced food. Rain pushed us inside this time ... Cozy, but I prefer outside dining option as our service outside has been better than it was inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very helpfulWeezerVIPDined on 9/6/2014The staff took good care of us and my wheelchair bound sister managed well there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.