Hunter's Head Tavern
9048 John Mosby Highway
Upperville, VA 20184Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
Hunter's Head Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.huntersheadtavern.com/
- Phone: 5405929020
- Hours of Operation:
Open seven days a week.
Monday - Saturday 11:30 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.
Sunday 11:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. (Brunch), 2:30 a.m. - 9:30 p.m. regular menu
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Comfort Food, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Ayrshire Farm
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, High Tea, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: A custom menu can be designed specially for your occasion. Please contact the General Manager at 540.592.9020
- Private Party Facilities: Hunter’s Head Tavern welcomes your private party reservations for 10 to 35 people. If interested, contact the General Manager at 540.592.9020.
- Private Party Contact: General Manager 5405929020
- Entertainment: Dogs (and cats) are welcome to dine with you on the patio. For your convenience a Furry Foodie™ Dinner maybe ordered off the menu for your pet.
A word from Hunter's Head Tavern
Experience our English-style Pub that serves traditional pub fare, fine dining cuisine and mouthwatering homemade desserts. Entrees and appetizers feature local farm meats (Certified Humane® and Certified Organic) as well as local produce. From our famous burgers, to roasted chickens, to veal and pork chops, Hunter's Head Tavern provides a unique opportunity for customers to dine with confidence. Our main ingredients come from farms dedicated to maintaining the health and well-being of their animals as well as the land. Domestic and imported beers are available on tap along with an excellent wine selection including local and organic choices. Five different dining rooms and extensive outdoor seating during the warm seasons provide a dynamic dining experience whether you are looking for a family-friendly, romantic or cozy neighborhood environment. Pets are also welcome to dine on the patio.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Hunter's Head Tavern - Best Restaurants in Upperville ›
Hunter's Head Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
113 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (87)neighborhood gem (71)great for lunch (63)fit for foodies (49)great for brunch (41)special occasion (41)romantic (40)good for groups (33)kid-friendly (32)scenic view (21)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (9)notable wine list (8)late-night find (6)Show More
- wonderful as always!kneelDined on 10/29/2014This is my favorite restaurant. The food is always delicious and of a healthy quality. It exudes freshness unsurpassed by most restaurants as well as offering mostly organics looking forward to returning..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- does not disappointEieiomDined on 10/26/2014so glad we made a reservation on open table. note to self - when it's a beautiful fall day, even at 2 in the afternoon, hunter's head is hopping. the parking lot was full with tons of motorcycles and lots of people out for a gorgeous afternoon drive. hh had a very nice corner booth ready for us when we arrived and lunch was served with a pleasant smile by a very busy waitress. our companions' super salad and welsh rarebit were so fresh; my husband's fish and chips and my ayshire beef stew tasted delicious. i'd skip the fresh oysters which were on the paltry side. even so, hh is always worth the drive out to the rolling, beautiful countryside that makes one realize how lucky we are to be living in this part of the world.Special Features:
- Excellent Birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Although extremely busy, The staff were very attentive and pleasant! The food was incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently wonderfulCaptainWillDined on 10/24/2014Hunter's Head Tavern is a personal favorite. The clientele is a mix of locals from the Virginia hunt and farm country and those seeking respite from Washington, DC. The foot, mostly locally sourced, is always fresh and tasty and professionally prepared. The staff is friendly and welcoming. This is always a great evening.Special Features:
- On the farmFoody4funDined on 10/19/2014Service was outstanding, friendly. Food was soooo greasy (breakfast) I had heartburn the entire day. Also, for the price I didn't like that you have to order at a window in the bar and bring your own beverages to the table.Special Features:
- Consistently goodADBrantDined on 10/18/2014I took one of my friends here after a wine fest over the weekend. I told her the food was great and the place had character. Never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LTvBDined on 10/12/2014Delicious food, great friendly service- perfect for all occasions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MoonshadowFarmDined on 10/11/2014Hunter's Head is our reliably great local restaurant!!! My husband only got 2 small pieces of fish on his fish and chips and his fries were cold.....but he didn't complain until he got home. Everyone else had a great meal. Service is good. Did have to ash for lemons 3x for our water....but that was not a big deal. Always lively atmosphere!!!Special Features:
- Black Dog FarmerBlackDogFarmerDined on 10/11/2014Very nice evening. We availed ourselves of mixed drinks and beer on tap, as well as a mix of traditional pub food (Shepherd's pie, bangers and mash) and evening specials, and it all arrived promptly and at the right temperature. Bread was delicious, as was dessert.Special Features:
- JimandJoAnneDined on 10/6/2014Excellent British style service with ample servings of superbly prepared courses. Prices are reasonable, selection is large, and all items are fresh from their farm. The Wiener schnitzel and salmon salad were outstanding. We highly recommend Hunter's Head Tavern for lunch or for any special dining ocassion.Special Features:
- A favorite for all occasions!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014We are fairly new to the area and do not dine out very often. We have found that Hunters Head is the favored choice for nearly all occasions. We often bring visitors and they are always pleased with the food, service and ambience. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AbbieDined on 9/28/2014We came to celebrate our 28th wedding Anniversary. This was our first visit and I have to say we enjoyed ourselves very much. This experience reminded us of living in Williamsburg, Virginia and dining at the Colonial Williamsburg Taverns. Thank you for a loving evening. Looking forward to visiting again soon!Special Features:
- K-9 approvedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We had a lovely dinner, relaxed, great food and our dog, Lulu, loved her dinner as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the drive!MikeyDined on 9/27/2014The drive to upperville is lovely! Where else can you get good British food that even pleases a vegetarian? The HH really delivered. Shepherds pie was great and a sizable portion. Vegetarian lasagna was probably the best we have ever had at a restaurant. And the pub like easy going energy all across the restaurant was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/27/2014Wonderful British style pub with traditional menu and bar service. Comfortable rooms in restored 18th century house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Country TavernIluvVirginiaDined on 9/27/2014A charming and popular authentic tavern with fabulous outdoor seating. Great tavern style fare with modified self service (you order at the bar and they do the rest). It would work better when it's not crowded. Experience the 18th century inside!Special Features:
- Upperville GemTJTLDined on 9/23/2014Great food, awesome architecture and great outdoor space too. You have to try this wonderful spot full or classic pub fare and comfort foods.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of the BestJonnylawDined on 9/22/2014Hunter's Head Tavern is one of the best places in Virginia. With a rotating menu of items based on the time of year, to the shear quality of food they serve, it's a place I go back to time and time again. Atmosphere is number one at Hunter's Head. The indoor dinning is a fantastic romantic spot and their outdoor seating is uniquely lovely. If you haven't been, go. If you have been, go back. I love this place.Special Features:
- a constant joy!perfectplacesDined on 9/20/2014In the 11years I have lived in Vienna, Va, this lovely gem continues to be my favorite!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hunters losing it's headLynnsreviewVIPDined on 9/13/2014It has been a while since we had been and I had heard things had gone downhill. Well when I was greatest by a roach by the order board I was worried! The service was slow the place was do dim it looked like they were hiding something and the food was old. What a shame because it used to be good not anymore
- A gem in UppervilletastyfoodcookDined on 9/13/2014wonderful pub food. wait staff a bit snippy and service slow, but overall a very happy experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as alwaysBigFamilyDined on 9/7/2014Son's birthday dinner was fantastic. This is one of our family favorites. Thank you!Special Features:
- A favoriteHaymarketgalDined on 9/7/2014Hunter's Head is one of our favorites when we have a special occasion to celebrate, or even when we don't. The food is always terrific.HaymarketSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Delicious locally sourced food. Rain pushed us inside this time ... Cozy, but I prefer outside dining option as our service outside has been better than it was inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very helpfulWeezerVIPDined on 9/6/2014The staff took good care of us and my wheelchair bound sister managed well there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PERFECT!ErinPDined on 8/31/2014I treated my husband and best friend (a British ex-pat, no less) to Hunters Head for their birthdays. My best friend RAVED at the menu and taste of home! The food is fresh, authentic and beyond delicious! I only wish I lived closer, but Upperville is within reach and a beautiful drive to boot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice dinnerhealthypickyeaterDined on 8/26/2014took my mom here on a whim and as always they deliveredSpecial Features:
- DJCQDined on 8/23/2014Authentic British pub. Good pub fare, variety of beer in Imperial pint glasses!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sorry - this is a no goRickVIPDined on 8/16/2014Outside seating is not part of the reservation system - thus my table was at the entrance to the kitchen despite the fact that about 18 seats were open on the outside patio. So, my wife and I had dinner with lots of traffic with servers carrying dirty dishes and kitchen noise overshadowing the meal. The food was good - but nothing to remember. Wine was flat (or stale).
- anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014We have been regular customers for several years and we love the charm and ambience every time we come back. Hunter's Head gives you the intimacy of a pub with great food and very friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Organic & non GMO delicious!shadowoodDined on 8/10/2014One of our favorite places to dine. Consistently good food, drink and service. WE love to take our visitors there. Winter has fireside seating. Summer has outdoor patio.Special Features:
- Very nice placeUSNDOC8404Dined on 8/9/2014Well, I really liked that I could make a reservation online and received a confirmation. My first impression was not good, the parking is a nightmare. Early arrivals parked crooked and left no space for others making the already small parking lot hold even less. I was a little early so I waited for someone to leave as there was no other clear place to park. I expected this place to be crowded as it was a Saturday. We sat outside (seating is "first come") and informed the waitress we were waiting on other people for our reservation. They were very accommodating, our waitress was very attentive and quick. The weather cooperated so we stayed outside. The food was not great, Shepard's Pie isn't complicated but it was bland. Overall very good.Special Features:
- Not always worth the $$$JAVADined on 8/9/2014Have been going to Hunter's Head for lunch 2-3 times a month for the past 2 years. It is pricey ($15 hamburger), but the food has always been good. Went for dinner for the first time this past weekend and it was disappointing. It was $150 for three of us for dinner, each getting a beer with dinner and splitting one appetizer. Fried Chicken was really dry and the biscuits were so dense that you could not bite into. Short ribs were not cooked long enough, tough and rubbery. We left more than half of our food behind.Special Features:
- Good Food, atmosphere, butjoeyDined on 8/9/2014I had the rainbow trout, which may have been the best tasting I ever had. My date had the fried chicken, which was more than enough to eat. We had dinner outside. The garden view was most pleasant. But, when I went to order, there appeared eight people ahead of me. The person taking the food order would make us wait while she filled the drink orders when there was a bartender right next to her. My date had to wait alone at a table while I stood in line waiting to order. I had already taken drinks to our table so we could review the menu with drinks. The person taking the food orders should not be taking time to fill drink orders. There were four or five behind me. Otherwise the service was good. I would love to return.Special Features:
- Pet FriendlyBorntDined on 8/3/2014Love that people can bring their dogs and sit on the patio. Excellent staff. A great place to just chill out.Special Features:
- Summer Sunday Lunch in the GardenAnnetastesDined on 8/3/2014Always a favorite - and a place we LOVE to share with visiting friends and family. Once again it was a big hit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historic Venuepreacher43Dined on 8/3/2014The outdoor tables with umbrellas provide a pleasant eating and talking atmosphere. Staff were gracious and service was good. We had a happy Sunday brunch, even though orders have to be placed at an inside window rather than from the table. The entire place feels old in a good way, but bathrooms are not adequate for crowds and were rather trashed up even when we arrived at noon on Sunday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nonenoneDined on 8/2/2014Previous experiences, the food was great. Not so this visit.
- Love the staff & high quality mealsSusiBDined on 8/2/2014We count this among our favorite restaurants in Virginia and DC. The Hunter's Head Tavern is a true gem in terms of an overall enjoyable dining experience! We have brought countless friends and family members to dine here and everyone of them enjoyed the charm and delicious food.Special Features:
- Casual Diningluv2boutDined on 8/2/2014Great place to go to for causal dining. Relaxed atmosphere. Lovely outdoor dining for fair weather days and cozy indoor dining for the cold seasons. Great for lunch and dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.