Hunter Steakhouse - Oceanside
1221 Vista Way
Oceanside, CA 92054Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
Hunter Steakhouse - Oceanside
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.huntersteakhouse.com/
- Phone: (760) 433-2633
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm; Saturday & Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Whether it's a small intimate gathering or a large corporate event off site, Hunter Steakhouse catering will assist in making your celebration memorable. Choose from an array of menu options including our traditional "Santa Maria Style" BBQ. This very popular choice consists of tri-tip sirloin and & chicken slowly cooked over red oak on one of our old fashioned buckboard barbecue pits. If you can imagine it we can create it. If you would prefer to build your own menu, we would be happy to accommodate any requests you make. Hunter Steakhouse looks forward to serving you.
- Private Party Facilities: Our unique "log cabin" inspired buildings allow us to have a wide selection of different rooms and options for your next large gathering. From small to large parties we have an abundance of different private rooms available to host your next great event. Let us help you make your next dinner party memorable.
- Private Party Contact: Janell Roberts 7604332633
A word from Hunter Steakhouse - Oceanside
Welcome to Hunter Steakhouse "serving the best Prime Rib in Town". We embrace our 40 year tradition as a classic steakhouse while continually renewing our commitment to small town hospitality. whether you visit us in the heart of Mission Valley or the City of Oceanside, our staff looks forward to serving you with a smile. We know that you'll find our award winning Prime Rib, hand carved steaks and chops, fresh seafood, and many other home made dishes to your liking. From our table side salad bar to our home made soups and sauces we take a great deal of pride in offering you only the freshest ingredients. We're truly honored to have you as our guests. You're family, You're invited.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Hunter Steakhouse - Oceanside - Best Restaurants in Oceanside ›
Hunter Steakhouse - Oceanside reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (16)neighborhood gem (15)special occasion (14)romantic (7)kid-friendly (6)fit for foodies (6)great for lunch (6)notable wine list (4)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- RebeccaOceansideRebecca22Dined on 11/18/2014I knew what I wanted for dinner (a martini, prime rib, and sautéed mushrooms -- and that is just what I got - done to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & Service: Big LobsterKevinVIPDined on 11/14/2014I've dined here several times and keep coming back for their great service and food. Love the tableside salad service, the Cadillac Margarita is awesome, service excellent (Jamie), and steaks cooked to perfection and delivered with great presentation and flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tbehr2004Dined on 11/8/2014Food was excellent, service was very good, need a little more time between appetizer's and main dinner will visit Hunter Steak House again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for dinnerJayeDined on 11/1/2014Went this time for Anniversary dinner. The appetizers, food, wine, and dessert were 1st class. Malissa was our server and did a wonderful job. Prime Rib excellent! Horseradish was the hot type so if you do not like hot horseradish don't use it. I liked it. Everything was great as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ExcellentCrochetsmithVIPDined on 10/31/2014We have eaten at Hunter Steakhouse many times now and it is one of our favorite restaurants. My husband loves the tableside salad bar while I enjoy the Caesar salad. There are many wonderful entrees, but I keep coming back to the lamb chops. They are so delicious! I don't remember what my husband had for an entree this time, but I know he was so full that he took his carrot cake home to eat later. My meal was perfect without any dessert. If you haven't been here, you should definitely give it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaggieDined on 10/28/2014Overall experience was good. The food was excellent but the service was fair. We were celebrating a birthday and not once did the waitress or hostess acknowledge whose birthday it was or anything. Also, seemed the waitress did not want to be there. Will probably not celebrate a birthday there again.Special Features:
- The Best!!RDW76017Dined on 10/12/2014Dinner was great! Our waiter was so friendly and the food was outstanding!! The macaroni and cheese is amazing. Can't wait to return to Cali in 6 months and take the family.Special Features:
- Bland steakOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/10/2014wife got filet I got prime rib. It is not the best prime rib in town. Very very bland. No taste to the steak. Only thing good was the salad. Would not rcmd.
- Never againBeachgirlDined on 10/6/2014I had been told this was one of the best locals places to get a good steak. It was my 40 birthday, so I was hoping for a little something memorable! We got in, got seated, the server never introduced herself but did tell us there was nothing fried available since the fryer was down. 25 minutes later she finally took our order. It was over an hour before we got our appetizer, then our salad and dinner. The restaurant was not very busy, I think she had 3 tables in our section. There was no reason for me to be in the restaurant over an hour and 45 minutes.Special Features:
- Somewhat disappointedOceansideVisitorDined on 10/4/2014The good: the service was very good, and as requested when I made the reservation we were reserved a nice corner booth for our anniversary dinner. The not so good: The room was dark and while I get the idea the effect was not uplifting. My wife hated it. Perhaps this influenced her opinion of the prime rib which she described as tasteless. My top sirloin was ok, but not great and I'm easy to please. The bread was a soft pumpernickel. Our tastes run to crusty breads so that wasn't a hit with us either. Perhaps because this was a special occasion with the attendant high expectations our critique is especially sharp. However, my wife's dismay aside, in my opinion compared to similar establishments the food did not merit the prices charged.
- Great prime rib but...RibberDined on 9/29/2014We always come here for the prime rib and the best horseradish sauce in town but were disappointed this time with a few of the sides and dessert. Seemed that they were serving leftovers. The server fixed the bake potato but the dessert wasn't worth the calories. Good thing we came for the prime rib which was excellent as usualSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st timerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014First time, chose this due to the add in San Diego Restaurant Week. Friendly staff and good food. Steaks prepared just right.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible!GingerDined on 9/26/2014We're seated next to a window and while waiting to be served noticed ants crawling along the window! Service was very SLOW and they were not busy. My food was ok but my friend ordered the sirloin burger that was a premade filler patty. Won't go again!
- Good food you can count onLikeoEatLocalDined on 9/25/2014I've lived in the area and have been going to Hunter's since they first opened as Hungry Hunter in 1971 and the waiters and waitresses dressed like frontiersmen and Native Americans. Times have changed, the name has changed, the chain is no longer around, but the food and the quality beef is as good as it ever was. The building has been updated over the years, but is still pretty old and tired. Don't let that put you off, though. Every time I go, I expect less and get more. My last meal, I ordered the filet mignon and it melted in my mouth. The tableside salad, definitely one of my favorite features of their menu, is as fresh and crisp as any chopped salad ordered from a La Jolla Bistro. You can spend lots more, but you won't get better.Special Features:
- Prime RibOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014We have been to Hungry Hunters many times. Love the food and the service is always great. The Prime rib is always good and cant beat the price.Special Features:
- GREAT FOOD!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014Outstanding service and table salad bar! Filet Mignon was excellent!! Highly recommend the food. Resturant atmosphere is tired and needs to be updated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekTwistallyDined on 9/24/2014The deal that Hunter Steakhouse offered were great. As our first time trying the restaurant out, it was a great time to have a 4 course meal. We both enjoyed our weeknight dinner outing since that doesn't happy very often, but the service and food were great which made it all worth it.Special Features:
- Great experiencefilibetoDined on 9/24/2014We were taken care of by a super kind woman. Loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- restaurant week 9-22-14OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/22/2014Made 6:30 reservation, but didn't need it as restaurant was not crowded. My wife's salmon was very good. I paid extra $10 for prime rib, which was cooked properly, but lacked flavor as did au jus. Would not order it again. Salad made at table and desserts (chocolate cake and carrot cake) were very good. Staff was pleasant, but service was rushed in that salad came before we finished appetizer and entree came before we finished salad.I would recommend this to a friend.
- lmjflLMJFLDined on 9/18/2014Badly in need of a face lift, but food, service & prices all goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable TimeTommyVIPDined on 9/14/2014We have eaten at Hunter many times over the past 20 years (even when it was called Hungry Hunter) and always had a good meal. Service is has always been great.Special Features:
- Great food but aging locationNATCADined on 9/8/2014The food here was great. Location is a little dated and could use some serious modernization.Special Features:
- Didn't live up to the hypeFoodie12Dined on 9/1/2014I do not know what all the fuss about the prime rib was. I followed people comments on here and got it but was nothing special, if anything, mostly a fatty piece of meat. We got the side of broccoli and it was literally one stem of broccoli. Even the iced tea was funky tasting. The only good thig about this was the beginning of the meal with the pumpernickel bread with the cinnamon butter, potato skins and salad. I have already informed people that this place is one to avoid.
- OkRonnieDined on 8/31/2014Prime rib was great, lobster to well done, service greatSpecial Features:
- Best Prime Rib I've Had In A WhileCookie3Dined on 8/28/2014That's what my dad said on the way home. I took my extended family of 9, including 3 children, for a sendoff dinner before Dad/Grandad/GreatDad returns to Dallas. Everyone's order was perfectly prepared as they requested. I did not hear a single complaint. Our appetizer came out quickly, giving hungry kids something to munch. Our server was patient and attentive, professional really. Others have mentioned the dated decor so I won't belabor it here. But that's not why we came here. Dad requested prime rib. He loved it. The End.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great location!NewToOTDined on 8/26/2014This place is a must if you are in the area... great food at reasonable prices. Must get the tableside salad and there is not a whole lot of menu choices however this is a good thing. I got the salmon and it was nicely cooked. We wish the bread was a little softer that they give you for an appetizer but it was a good experience and we will definitely go back once in the area again.Special Features:
- Luv itLocalFoodieDined on 8/23/2014Can't find a better place for Prime Rib in this area. We love it and will continue to take our visitors thereSpecial Features:
- ExcellentLove2reserveDined on 8/23/2014Brought a first date there and resturant made it very comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/15/2014The food was good, but not remarkable. The salad built at your table was pretty good and all fresh ingredients with the exception of the Mushrooms. Alaskan crab legs were a bit dried out but my husbands Prime rib was really good (horseradish sauce was strong which I love) . We liked the bar it is intimate and rustic, with a good selection.
- wonderful :-)smilesVIPDined on 8/14/2014I happened upon this restaurant and fell in love! I would go back in a heart beat and the cost was very affordable and great size portions! Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dealKikinielsDined on 8/11/2014We came for a family dinner and we got the 25 dollar special. The appetizers were so good and we loved the table side salad bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday night dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2014food was good, but didn't feel like I was going anywhere special .food prices were same as anywhere else, except felt like I was in someones house in mountian in 80's.
- The following 103 reviews are from the Hunter Steakhouse - Oceanside reviews archive.
- Great, as always!trackyjVIPDined on 7/20/2014We returned for another Sunday brunch. I loved the Hunter Benedict that has prime rib instead of ham or Canadian bacon. The chocolate muffins are fun, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed but PleasedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014It's been over 15 years since I've been to Hunter Steakhouse. We thought we'd try it again. It appears they did alter things but the same old "old feeling" is definitely present. I see myself going back to the bar area but not regular dining area. One thing I was extremely happy with is the Prime Rib, it's presented as "Award Winning" and they aren't lying! Its simply amazing Prime Rib!Special Features:
- Good Sunday BrunchtrackyjVIPDined on 7/13/2014We go to the Hunter for Sunday brunch as often as our schedules permit. The menu is varied enough to keep me happy -- quiche of the week, breakfast burrito, omelets, and a variety of benedicts. It also has prime rib and eggs, which makes him happy. Each item comes with small muffins (banana, blueberry, and chocolate), home fries, and fresh fruit. I like that the portions are reasonable in size. Finally, we top it off with $2.50 bottomless champagne. Not high quality bubbly but a great accompaniment to the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Great MealCrochetsmithVIPDined on 6/23/2014My husband and I have dined at Hunter Steakhouse several times since moving to Oceanside last summer. We have had consistently excellent meals each time. My absolute favorite is the lamb chops, but we have also enjoyed steak or prime rib options. My husband is a big fan of the table-side salad bar while I enjoy the Caesar salad. It was my birthday celebration when we ate here last time so we also shared some wonderful chocolate cake as well. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You kidding me?HungryJackVIPDined on 6/21/2014Alas, didn't begin to live up to its reviews. Fellow OpenTable diners, please be honest in you reviews. I drove over 100 miles for this dining adventure and it was NOT worth it. Two stars is generous for this as a steakhouse. It's on par with a Black Angus. Nothing wrong with that, but it is not as advertised. Slow service when we sat down and it never improved. Steaks were acceptable cooked but not great and the wine list is thin. I'll not return.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014We love having our special occasion dinners at Hunter Steakhouse. Whenever we have out of town guests, the first place that they want to visit is Hunter's. And it is the perfect spot for a 'just because' dinner. Our favorite server is Jamie. She is so sweet and is always ready to help or offer new options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day BrunchGimpeDined on 6/15/2014Hello - Went for Father's Day Brunch. Was expecting a little more of the buffet from the discussions with the restaurant but overall was good. Biggest disappointment was no Prime Rib. They are "famous" for this and stated on the phone it would be part of the buffet but there was none and we were looking forward to it. Some of the meat and fish were dry but you kinda get that buffet style too. Overall not bad. I usually have their sandwiches at the Carlsbad Street Fair and they are usually really good.Special Features:
- HeikePDined on 6/14/2014Excellent food at very reasonable prices. Have eaten here for many years and am never disappointed.Special Features: