Hunter Steakhouse - Oceanside
1221 Vista Way
Oceanside, CA 92054Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
Hunter Steakhouse - Oceanside
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.huntersteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 7604332633
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm; Saturday & Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Whether it's a small intimate gathering or a large corporate event off site, Hunter Steakhouse catering will assist in making your celebration memorable. Choose from an array of menu options including our traditional "Santa Maria Style" BBQ. This very popular choice consists of tri-tip sirloin and & chicken slowly cooked over red oak on one of our old fashioned buckboard barbecue pits. If you can imagine it we can create it. If you would prefer to build your own menu, we would be happy to accommodate any requests you make. Hunter Steakhouse looks forward to serving you.
- Private Party Facilities: Our unique "log cabin" inspired buildings allow us to have a wide selection of different rooms and options for your next large gathering. From small to large parties we have an abundance of different private rooms available to host your next great event. Let us help you make your next dinner party memorable.
- Private Party Contact: Janell Roberts 7604332633
A word from Hunter Steakhouse - Oceanside
Welcome to Hunter Steakhouse "serving the best Prime Rib in Town". We embrace our 40 year tradition as a classic steakhouse while continually renewing our commitment to small town hospitality. whether you visit us in the heart of Mission Valley or the City of Oceanside, our staff looks forward to serving you with a smile. We know that you'll find our award winning Prime Rib, hand carved steaks and chops, fresh seafood, and many other home made dishes to your liking. From our table side salad bar to our home made soups and sauces we take a great deal of pride in offering you only the freshest ingredients. We're truly honored to have you as our guests. You're family, You're invited.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Hunter Steakhouse - Oceanside - Best Restaurants in Oceanside ›
Hunter Steakhouse - Oceanside reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (18)special occasion (15)good for groups (11)kid-friendly (8)great for lunch (8)great for brunch (7)fit for foodies (7)romantic (7)notable wine list (3)hot spot (2)Show More
- Enjoyable TimeTommyVIPDined on 9/14/2014We have eaten at Hunter many times over the past 20 years (even when it was called Hungry Hunter) and always had a good meal. Service is has always been great.Special Features:
- Great food but aging locationNATCADined on 9/8/2014The food here was great. Location is a little dated and could use some serious modernization.Special Features:
- Didn't live up to the hypeFoodie12Dined on 9/1/2014I do not know what all the fuss about the prime rib was. I followed people comments on here and got it but was nothing special, if anything, mostly a fatty piece of meat. We got the side of broccoli and it was literally one stem of broccoli. Even the iced tea was funky tasting. The only good thig about this was the beginning of the meal with the pumpernickel bread with the cinnamon butter, potato skins and salad. I have already informed people that this place is one to avoid.
- OkRonnieDined on 8/31/2014Prime rib was great, lobster to well done, service greatSpecial Features:
- Best Prime Rib I've Had In A WhileCookie3Dined on 8/28/2014That's what my dad said on the way home. I took my extended family of 9, including 3 children, for a sendoff dinner before Dad/Grandad/GreatDad returns to Dallas. Everyone's order was perfectly prepared as they requested. I did not hear a single complaint. Our appetizer came out quickly, giving hungry kids something to munch. Our server was patient and attentive, professional really. Others have mentioned the dated decor so I won't belabor it here. But that's not why we came here. Dad requested prime rib. He loved it. The End.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great location!NewToOTDined on 8/26/2014This place is a must if you are in the area... great food at reasonable prices. Must get the tableside salad and there is not a whole lot of menu choices however this is a good thing. I got the salmon and it was nicely cooked. We wish the bread was a little softer that they give you for an appetizer but it was a good experience and we will definitely go back once in the area again.Special Features:
- Luv itLocalFoodieDined on 8/23/2014Can't find a better place for Prime Rib in this area. We love it and will continue to take our visitors thereSpecial Features:
- ExcellentLove2reserveDined on 8/23/2014Brought a first date there and resturant made it very comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/15/2014The food was good, but not remarkable. The salad built at your table was pretty good and all fresh ingredients with the exception of the Mushrooms. Alaskan crab legs were a bit dried out but my husbands Prime rib was really good (horseradish sauce was strong which I love) . We liked the bar it is intimate and rustic, with a good selection.
- wonderful :-)smilesVIPDined on 8/14/2014I happened upon this restaurant and fell in love! I would go back in a heart beat and the cost was very affordable and great size portions! Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dealKikinielsDined on 8/11/2014We came for a family dinner and we got the 25 dollar special. The appetizers were so good and we loved the table side salad bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday night dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2014food was good, but didn't feel like I was going anywhere special .food prices were same as anywhere else, except felt like I was in someones house in mountian in 80's.
- Great, as always!trackyjDined on 7/20/2014We returned for another Sunday brunch. I loved the Hunter Benedict that has prime rib instead of ham or Canadian bacon. The chocolate muffins are fun, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed but PleasedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014It's been over 15 years since I've been to Hunter Steakhouse. We thought we'd try it again. It appears they did alter things but the same old "old feeling" is definitely present. I see myself going back to the bar area but not regular dining area. One thing I was extremely happy with is the Prime Rib, it's presented as "Award Winning" and they aren't lying! Its simply amazing Prime Rib!Special Features:
- Good Sunday BrunchtrackyjDined on 7/13/2014We go to the Hunter for Sunday brunch as often as our schedules permit. The menu is varied enough to keep me happy -- quiche of the week, breakfast burrito, omelets, and a variety of benedicts. It also has prime rib and eggs, which makes him happy. Each item comes with small muffins (banana, blueberry, and chocolate), home fries, and fresh fruit. I like that the portions are reasonable in size. Finally, we top it off with $2.50 bottomless champagne. Not high quality bubbly but a great accompaniment to the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Great MealCrochetsmithDined on 6/23/2014My husband and I have dined at Hunter Steakhouse several times since moving to Oceanside last summer. We have had consistently excellent meals each time. My absolute favorite is the lamb chops, but we have also enjoyed steak or prime rib options. My husband is a big fan of the table-side salad bar while I enjoy the Caesar salad. It was my birthday celebration when we ate here last time so we also shared some wonderful chocolate cake as well. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You kidding me?HungryJackVIPDined on 6/21/2014Alas, didn't begin to live up to its reviews. Fellow OpenTable diners, please be honest in you reviews. I drove over 100 miles for this dining adventure and it was NOT worth it. Two stars is generous for this as a steakhouse. It's on par with a Black Angus. Nothing wrong with that, but it is not as advertised. Slow service when we sat down and it never improved. Steaks were acceptable cooked but not great and the wine list is thin. I'll not return.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014We love having our special occasion dinners at Hunter Steakhouse. Whenever we have out of town guests, the first place that they want to visit is Hunter's. And it is the perfect spot for a 'just because' dinner. Our favorite server is Jamie. She is so sweet and is always ready to help or offer new options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day BrunchGimpeDined on 6/15/2014Hello - Went for Father's Day Brunch. Was expecting a little more of the buffet from the discussions with the restaurant but overall was good. Biggest disappointment was no Prime Rib. They are "famous" for this and stated on the phone it would be part of the buffet but there was none and we were looking forward to it. Some of the meat and fish were dry but you kinda get that buffet style too. Overall not bad. I usually have their sandwiches at the Carlsbad Street Fair and they are usually really good.Special Features:
- HeikePDined on 6/14/2014Excellent food at very reasonable prices. Have eaten here for many years and am never disappointed.Special Features:
- Nice Restaurant.groomerbabeDined on 6/11/2014I like the food and the variety of menu. Our service was great. The restaurant could use a facelift on the inside. It has been the same forever . It is not very inviting .... a bit dark.Special Features:
- Friendly and warmSoCalNativeVIPDined on 6/2/2014We stopped in unexpectedly when we were in the area and fortunately through OpenTable were able to find it. The service was very good, the food also was very good and at least at lunch there was no problem giving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014Great meal and good service. It was our anniversary and we wanted somewhere local with a nice atmosphere. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pretty tasty sandwichesPixiesquidDined on 5/23/2014My fiance and I went here to celebrate the end of semester. I had been under the impression that it was sort of fancy, which isnt really the case, but I really liked the turkey croissant sandwich, and my guy seemed to enjoy his food as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 91 reviews are from the Hunter Steakhouse - Oceanside reviews archive.
- JimZDined on 5/11/2014Parking is not the best but if you go to the back there is plenty of room. They have only two spaces for handi cap even though they are right at the door but two is not enough. The food is gret and the price is right. Getting in and out of the parking lot may be hard but weel worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day Brunch Just Fine!trackyjDined on 5/11/2014We took my mom for their buffet brunch. It came with a "build your own omelet" that was small -- just the right size so we had room for the tri-tip, ham, shrimp, salads, fruit, bacon, waffles, dessert, etc. The food was tasty and the service was great, even when the place got busy. I have been there before for a regular dinner and Sunday brunch and liked it. The buffet was a new experience for me and I liked it just fine.Special Features:
- Great food, terrific price!CarlsbadBillDined on 4/27/2014We've been eating at Hunter's Steakhouse for years, special occasions with friends and family. The beef is excellent and always prepared to perfection. The table-side salad unique and exceptional. The lamb is also excellent. The fish is also very good. That said, the soups are not their strong suit, and the clam-chowder is not worth the extra dollar they charge for a six ounce serving. Still, the bread served with dinner is always a favorite with guests we take and the appetizers are tasty. The wine list is very good with a range of wines by the glass and bottle at reasonable prices. The ambiance is excellent on the main floor, with the side room particularly nice. The upstairs you would want to avoid.Special Features:
- cc276Dined on 4/27/2014Have always had great food and a wonderful place with quaint seating rooms.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BuzzDined on 4/21/2014This was a good and reasonably priced steakhouse. The NY strip was favorable and cooked to order. The tableside salad was fresh with lots of ingredients. The wine list was not huge, but had quality choices in every price range.Special Features:
- First Time Visit on EasterCEFisherDined on 4/20/2014Although I have not yet experienced the food on the usual menu, I did find the restaurant to have nice ambience, friendly staff and good food. I did feel that the restaurant may have been a little understaffed at the first few hours of Sunday brunch, but it was a holiday and, according to our server, a relatively new event for holidays. I'm looking forward to dinner and the lower level bar. To be continued...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful location & Great StaffRu2bsiDined on 4/13/2014Easy to get to near freeways & lots of ample parking. Staff is very attentive and wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good steaksMrSPXDined on 4/12/2014Restaurant is good, but a bit expensive. Menu is varied. Easy to get to location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good SteaksGrimDined on 4/12/2014I found the food good. Food is often a personal taste, so my tastes may not be the same as everyone else. For me the steak (Strip Sirloin) I received was dry, and slightly (just slightly) overcooked, and to MY taste cooked on a fire that was too hot. Some people like their steak cooked that way, so it may be the best way for you. This was also ONE try... perhaps the chef at the time made a mistake, they are human beings. My wife greatly enjoyed her prime rib and it looked to be cooked very well. Please observe that actual ratings they give to the stars. I found this GOOD, just not Outstanding, or even Very good. I will try again. The service was Outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not disappointedejenkinson1Dined on 4/9/2014When we booked we mentioned it was our anniversary and would like a quiet table, the hostess and waitress both wished us Happy Anniversary a very nice touch. The meal was above what we expected, prime rib was delicious, carrot cake to share was moist and gone, atmosphere was perfect. Will return for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedPrimeDined on 4/2/2014Prime Rib was over cooked with a strange texture. Definitely over priced. We were all so disappointed.
- Good food served quicklyPacerFanVIPDined on 3/27/2014Food was good, not great - especially for a place with Steak in it's name. Service was fine and all my food came out quickly. Wines were reasonably priced. As other reviewers have stated, it is noisy - it seems like all the conversations bounce off the walls. I was dining alone on a business trip, so it wasn't a problem for me.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Let it Snow!AnnieDined on 3/22/2014We met some friends of ours there for dinner. We hadn't seen them in a long time & wanted to enjoy a good meal together. We got what we hoped for!Special Features:
- Always a Great MealCrochetsmithDined on 3/21/2014We have eaten at Hunter Steakhouse several times now and have been very satisfied every time. The lamb chops are a particularly excellent choice, but you will also find wonderful steaks and prime rib. I enjoy the Caesar salad, but my husband and sister-in-law are big fans of the table-side green salad that you can have made with just those items you most enjoy on a salad. Either way, an excellent meal is a certainty here.Special Features:
- A nice evening outEyeluvfoodDined on 2/28/2014This is the 2nd time my husband and I have eaten at hunters and we both really enjoyed ourselves. We had our infinite with us and the staff made sure we were in the corn which was nice. The steaks are very tasty and the wine list is great. The pice is a little high but I think it's worth it. The do a table salad which is fun. They bring a tray with a bowl and tons of toppings and you get to pick which ones you want. Our serve was very attentive. The only cons we had was it was a little loud. I could hear the conversations from everyone around us and it didn't fit the low romantic feeling a got last time I was there. Overall a wonderful place to dine and I will definitly go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is an elegant restaurantSKYFOXDined on 2/28/2014This is an elegant restaurant with a lovely fireplace and several different dining areas. The menu is good, however, it needs more chicken options. The steak I had was very juicy and flavorful. We loved the tableside salad bar. The room we were in did fill up quickly and was very loud. The music playing overhead was not appropriate at all - it was not dining music. The biggest complaint we had was the attention of our server. She disappeared for long periods of time. All the other tables in our area had different servers and the were very tentative. It took 20 minutes to get a piece of cake for dessert. This was very aggravating and the server didn't even apologize. Other than that, we liked the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.