233 Cardinal Medeiros Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02141Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hungrymothercambridge.com/
- Phone: 6174990090
- Hours of Operation:
Wednesday-Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm :::: Beer, Wine & Liquor served til 12am ::::
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Barry Maiden
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private events are sometimes possible on Mondays. The minimum number of guests would need to be 50. Please contact the restaurant for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Rachel 6174990090
- Cross Street: Binney St.
- Public Transit: Hungry Mother is a 10 minute walk from the Kendall-MIT redline stop. Walk through Marriott hotel, turn left on Broadway, cross railroad tracks, bear right on Hampshire St., turn right on Cardinal Medeiros Ave. The restaurant is at the end of the block on the left.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Validated parking in the Kendall Cinema Garage is located half a block from Hungry Mother on Binney Street. With our stamp, $5 after 5pm Mon.-Fri., up to four hours. $5 all day Sat. and Sun.
A word from Hungry Mother
Hungry Mother is a neighborhood restaurant, offering a welcoming place to enjoy great food, unique and local wines and beers, as well as cocktails and liquors. Chef Maiden's food is blend of his training in classical French techniques, his Virginian roots, and his commitment to local sustainable ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Hungry Mother - Best Restaurants in Cambridge ›
Hungry Mother reviews from OpenTable diners
201 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (154)neighborhood gem (114)special occasion (110)romantic (81)hot spot (32)notable wine list (32)good for groups (13)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (7)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Hard to beat HM.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014If you're in the market for a great meal in Cambridge... this is the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent!mikenjeneatDined on 8/16/2014We started with the scallop app and the meat plate. the scallops were amazing and the ham and cheese biscuits were out of this world! I wanted another one! Michael had the brisket with cream corn which was an amazing dish. I was very happy with my chicken. I've already made my reservation to go back at the end of September.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food with a twistGlobaltravelerVIPDined on 8/15/2014I went for dinner and was seated in a left hand corner. However, I am left handed and would end up hitting the wall. First the maître d' said there were no more tables, which I could clearly see that there were. Then he came back and offered to seat me in the windowless right hand corner. Strange, the couple that came in after me was seated at a nice table by a window. Hmmmmm. Anyway, I didn't want to sit in the dark corner, so he pulled the table away from the wall for me and gave me a complimentary order of cornbread with sorghum butter. It was absolutely scrumptious. For my appetizer I had the fish croquettes - very good but VERY salty. For my entrée, I had the cornmeal crusted catfish over dirty rice which was divine.
- LilyDined on 8/13/2014We have a tight group of four people that goes out and trays and shares as many dishes as possible. It was great with the appetizers, we loved the smoked wagyu beef tang and the the antebellum cornbread. For the main dishes it was not much of a choice, but the cast iron chicken was delicious and the beef brisket was great. The baked antebellum grits was interesting! I tried to follow your advise to not to get my heart too set on anything, but I really missed the french gnocchi that day. Need to come back, if only I get to reserve a spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoyed our dinnerMrwatsonVIPDined on 8/10/2014We had the steak and catfish along with cornbread and grits. Great Pinot. Dinner was fantastic. Great service. Delicious little pb-chocolate oat bites with the bill. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A treasure in cambridgenw2014VIPDined on 8/8/2014Have always heard great things about Hungry Mother, and it did not disappoint! The food is wonderful, and I enjoyed the homey, cosy setting.Special Features:
- ToughCustomerToughCustomerDined on 8/7/2014Splendid dinner! Not the first time for us at this restaurant. This is the second time, and both times were superb. The originality and textured flavors are really unlike any restaurant we have been to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hungry Mother is a Must!MetalOxVIPDined on 8/6/2014All four in my party agreed that this is the best restaurant we've been to in a long time. From wine to appetizers to dessert, it's a win.Special Features:
- Gr8 food marred by impolite serverrickDined on 7/31/2014The food was quite good, but our server just ruined it for me. She just sort of walked up to our table and said "so we have a special soup....." Then walked away. No introduction or niceties. Throughout the meal, she would just appear and not say much when standing at the table. Not bad service, per se, just not even the bare minimum of friendliness. Also, we asked her to call a cab for us, which she didn't do and just disappeared. The food and cocktails were amazing though so I would recommend it and would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern Cooking in Boston!CassiopiaDined on 7/31/2014Food was absolutely delicious. Best grits, tasso and cheese I have ever had. Menu is a little limited and I would to see the low country shrimp and grits as an addition. Profiteroles were our dessert and they were great - filled with and unbelievable creamy chocolate mousse. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Mother" won't send you to therapyfoodcomaDined on 7/30/2014Every element of every dish was wonderful. I love to cook, but I don't have the time or resources to put into even one dish that Hungry Mother does for every single dish. The flavors are vibrant, with delightful surprises. Even the little bits of ham on the deviled eggs...They cure their own. This was only my second visit; it was recommended to me by a colleague, and then I took a cooking class at Cambridge Center for Adult Education and asked the instructor (who works at Sofra) where he likes to go for dinner, and he recommended Mother. This trip was with a dear friend who lives between San Francisco and wine country and loves good food, and there was swooning going on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent place, all aroundshallorDined on 7/29/2014The food was incredible, drink selection is out of this world.Special Features:
- ExcellentLJ23Dined on 7/23/2014Novel interpretations of simple food, beyond expertly prepared. Everything had an artistic complexity, but our favorites had a nuanced subtlety. Scallops app, simple roast chicken entree, for example, were remarkable. I am actually originally from the border of NC/VA, and some of the flavors really did summon rare regional associations. Service was great. Noise level would be quiet except that it is a very small restaurant so you hear other people talking, clearly. Ambience is great actually as well, except for the small size of the dining room. This is coming from a person who just lived 10 yrs in NYC--- so believe me, it's truly very tight in there, but well worth it. Intimate. Don't try to get in without a reservation. Foodie-haven.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yes, please, more!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/23/2014Had a great special occasion dinner. The restaurant was closing the next day for vacation but you'd never have known it. The bavette steak was mouth-wateringly delicious, served over a bed of very thinly slice vegetables with a marrow sauce. The catfish was exquisite. We started with the cornbread served with sorghum butter, something different for us, but we greatly enjoyed it. We had no room for dessert, unfortunately. We look forward to returning, and not just because we enjoyed talking with one of the owners. That was delightful, but the food was worth the trip.Special Features:
- Great spot for special dinnercms1388Dined on 7/23/2014Delicious food and cocktails, great for a special dinner with one person or a small group. Ordered the corn bread, scallops, catfish, and bluefish, and all was delicious. Cocktail selection was fantastic as well. Entrees are a bit pricey so for regular occasions, I might stick to drinks and appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in Boston/CambridgeGailDined on 7/22/2014Hungry Mother is one of my absolute favorite restaurants in the Boston/Cambridge area and I've been a local for 40 years. The food is comfort food for foodies. Try their signature catfish or I recently had the skillet chicken which was the best chicken I've had in a while. Great cocktails too. It's not pretentious and is very consistent. See a movie nearby at the Kendall Square Cinema while you're there. Book ahead do you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but ....cbmhDined on 7/13/2014A pleasant evening and the food was interesting/inventive (loved the cornbread!) but it didn't quite live up to the hype. We would go again, if convenient. There were a couple bothersome things: first, the production about getting a reservation! A group of 6 is not huge. They made us call twice, then get a credit card deposit, then they asked us to call again -- hey, this isn't dining at the White House or anything and not even a Friday or Saturday night! Also, one wait person seemed annoyed that we were actually having a conversation at the table rather than waiting quietly until she appeared. In general the service was pleasant but this one staff interrupted us unceremoniously and it felt a bit unwelcoming. Overall, like but not love.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soul Food with a TwistGoldfishDined on 7/12/2014It is well thought out soul food with good flavor. First we sit both my husband and I couldn't read the menu, slightly dim lighting and we both need reading glasses but won't admit it. It wasn't a bad thing, it only enhanced the meal. As each dish came out we had a lovely time searching our tastebuds to guess the flavors. Sourgum butter on the their cornbread. Zing of mustard on the wagu cheeks. Pickled Watermelon cutting a citrus hint on the scallops. Earthy/Fois Gras creaminess of the giblets. Rich lobster & Grits. We ordered all but 2 of the appetizers and 1 entree. If entrees don't appeal order appetizers as the meal. The Sweet Tea and Profiteroles for dessert had a light sweet balance. The appetizers seem more interesting thanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints!!KellyVIPDined on 7/11/2014Service is great and the food is amazing. The beef tongue is to die for; it is fantastic! Great local beer selection. This is my and my boyfriend's favorite restaurant hands down.Special Features:
- Excellent!happyboyfriendDined on 7/11/2014I took my girlfriend to dinner here for her birthday, and she loved it! It was a perfect birthday place. We had the cornbread (which was good, but I'm from the South, so I could make something similar I think, so it wasn't out-of-this-world) and the lobster and grits (also good, but maybe a tad too salty) as appetizers. The main courses--two fish dishes--were phenomenal, as was the dessert and the service. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- Absolutely Perfect MealScottDined on 7/9/2014The cornbread, beef tongue, seafood pan-roast, catfish, collard greens, and drinks were all outstanding and cooked / made perfectly. Well seasoned, well thought-out menu and flavor combinations, and terrific service. Will be back.Special Features:
- Good, but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/9/2014I chose HM for a special occasion after a lot of research and reading a ton of reviews. Sadly, we weren't blown away. The food was good, but nothing that I'd love to go back for.Special Features:
- special placeJim816Dined on 7/9/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner here. Jazz-like riffing on southern soul food. Really good. At the table the orders varied from their chicken to catfish to steak. Everyone was pleased. Signature cornbread was really good. Tried the side order of grits which was very good. Nice atmosphere, too.Special Features:
- Well DonepassingthroughDined on 7/5/2014Found this place on Yelp as we were in town for leisure. Great dinner all around. Portions were just right and the "fried" chicken was wonderful.Special Features:
- Great as usualJon88Dined on 7/2/2014It's always a pleasure to dine at Hungry Mother. The only downside for me is that the cornmeal-crusted catfish is so good that I always have to order it. The rhubarb cake with buttermilk icecream was out of this world.Special Features:
- Amazing!boathouseVIPDined on 6/28/2014What an incredible dining gem! From ambiance, to food, to service -- a perfect combination. The appetizers were amazing -- and the catfish entree was memorable. You must try the cornbread with the homemade honey butter. Delicious! Portions are perfect. The servers were attentive and friendly. The food is different - loved the Southern flair (unique for Boston dining) - beautifully presented and prepared with such great care. It was a truly wonderful dining experience and we are looking forward to a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!TAC1VIPDined on 6/28/2014One of the best meals I've had in the Boston area...great service...laid back atmosphere...not too loud. Looking forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014Very attentive staff and the catfish on the menu was "Fishy" in taste and smell.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food!locavoreDined on 6/27/2014Every single dish was spot-on! Impeccable food, cocktails, wine, and beer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nowhere near up to the current hypedisappointedDined on 6/26/2014nowhere near up to the current hype.....southern cuisine can be better than that
- Amazing all the way around!VisitingDinerDined on 6/26/2014Great service and amazing food! The menu was diverse and offered something for everyone. From the ease of making reservations, to the bartender and wait staff - the service level was impeccable. The food was unique, beautifully presented and the flavors were superb! Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Simply greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/26/2014This is a great place to eat. The food and service are exceptional. Though unpretentious on the outside. This is one of the best of Boston.Special Features:
- Attitude with a capital AOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/22/2014We have dined here many times. When we have friends in town we always go to Hungry Mother. No more. The arrogance of the entire staff, Maitre de to the waiters SUCK. The food is really good most times but we are over the "snobby"arrogance that permeates this cute little place. They need to at least try and make you feel like they are glad you are there. Maybe aloof is just the new normal.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014My friend and I couldn't get enough of the grits and chicken at Hungry Mother. The latter specifically was perfectly seared, crispy and still juicy and delicious. While I didn't find the service very talkative or attentive, the food and quiet, warm atmosphere made up for it.Special Features:
- collcharDined on 6/19/2014Great service, water glass always full. Nice selection of different kinds of food. Liked that the bar tender made a drink just for me. Good selection of food. Very nice wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef and chefExplorerDined on 6/18/2014Went to see the movie Chef at Kendall Square, which really stimulated an appetite for great food. Walked half a block to Hungry Mother and it proved a lovely continuation of a theme -- creative, delicious food. And not the usual dishes in this city. Subtle, aromatic mixed fish dish, and amazing texture and flavors of the catfish entree. Dessert of strawberry shortcake pure summerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MSchwa327VIPDined on 6/18/2014Amazing meal! Everything we had was fantastic, from the corn bread to the escargot appitizer to the catfish and grits side dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUR EXPERIENCEOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014WE'VE BEEN GREAT FANS SIBNCE THE RESTAURANT OPENED.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm food but the service wasn'tMAP77VIPDined on 6/14/2014We had a great overall experience at Hungry Mother. The only complaint we had was that our waiter was cold. She did her job fine, service was fast, everything came out correctly. She didn't tell us her name, just came right over and started telling us about the entree special and asked us what we wanted to drink. She just wasn't warm & friendly and that's the vibe we got from the restaurant itself.Special Features:
- CreativeCarolVIPDined on 6/14/2014Creative, Southern cuisine with great attention to meal composition made for a wonderful dining experience. I highly recommend the catfish which has many flavors and textures in the accompaniments. Four of us at the table tried many different things and we all were very pleased. Service was friendly and knowledgeable, and the ambiance pleasant.Special Features: