233 Cardinal Medeiros Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02141Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hungrymothercambridge.com/
- Phone: 6174990090
- Hours of Operation:
Wednesday-Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm :::: Beer, Wine & Liquor served til 12am ::::
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Barry Maiden
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private events are sometimes possible on Mondays. The minimum number of guests would need to be 50. Please contact the restaurant for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Rachel 6174990090
- Cross Street: Binney St.
- Public Transit: Hungry Mother is a 10 minute walk from the Kendall-MIT redline stop. Walk through Marriott hotel, turn left on Broadway, cross railroad tracks, bear right on Hampshire St., turn right on Cardinal Medeiros Ave. The restaurant is at the end of the block on the left.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Validated parking in the Kendall Cinema Garage is located half a block from Hungry Mother on Binney Street. With our stamp, $5 after 5pm Mon.-Fri., up to four hours. $5 all day Sat. and Sun.
A word from Hungry Mother
Hungry Mother is a neighborhood restaurant, offering a welcoming place to enjoy great food, unique and local wines and beers, as well as cocktails and liquors. Chef Maiden's food is blend of his training in classical French techniques, his Virginian roots, and his commitment to local sustainable ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Hungry Mother - Best Restaurants in Cambridge ›
Hungry Mother reviews from OpenTable diners
205 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (162)neighborhood gem (125)special occasion (109)romantic (80)hot spot (36)notable wine list (31)good for groups (11)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (6)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Very overratedLuv2dineDined on 9/10/2014We had the smoked chicken, the cornbread, the shrimp and grits, and the broccoli special. None were very good, though the shrimp and grits were OK. The service was also poor (namely the waitress-the host/greeter was nice and friendly). The smoked chicken was especially mediocre. The wine we ordered was good but overall I STRONGLY recommend against this place, particularly given the $$$!Special Features:
- everything was great!hungryneighborDined on 9/9/2014I will most definitely be getting the scallops and snails every time I go back!!!!!!Special Features:
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/3/2014Hungry Mother deserves its reputation as one of the best places around Cambridge. The food is so good!Special Features:
- ExcellentLucy15Dined on 8/30/2014Everything we ordered was excellent and unique. Would come back again for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulLikesAshadyBeachDined on 8/30/2014The good reviews brought us in and HM delivered! The restaurant is in a neighborhood setting on a corner with a low key facade. The atmosphere is friendly and unpretentious with mason jars for water glasses. We started with a don't miss piece of cornbread, then the scallop and the fried oyster appetizers; generous portions and outstanding flavor combinations in both. I had the steak and my partner had smoked chicken; portions were plenty and preparation was excellent. We finished with blueberry peach pie with blueberry swirl ice cream, wow! From beginning to end, outstanding service and outrageously great food. Two Louisiana visitors are now huge fans of HM. Go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great to be able to get inRestaurantRegularVIPDined on 8/29/2014Thanks to end of summer mass exit in Boston, we were able to get a reasonable reservation time at Hungry Mother - so nice to experience the wonderful food and service.Special Features:
- great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/29/2014food is excellent and wine list has great wines for good pricesSpecial Features:
- Keeps Getting BetterMalacoleDined on 8/29/2014We first went to Hungry Mother this spring and were impressed by their use of seasonal ingredients. Now, at the hight of summer, they seem to be at their best. The four of us ordered almost the whole menu and we loved every bite. Noteable plates included the escargot, their beautiful catfish, and please do not forgo the corn bread! We were blown away by the wonderful sauces and broths that accompanied each dish; they balanced their subject perfectly. The restaurant itself is just the right size, simply lighted and decorated, and overall very cozy. The staff is not overly warm and inviting but attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continues to ExcellPAS2539VIPDined on 8/29/2014We had dinner here with friends on the Friday of the Labor Day Weekend. The place was jammed! Great martinis. Our waiter, Duane, was very patient while we caught up with our friends. For appetizers, I had the oysters while my husband had the escargots. I think next time I will have double oysters as an entree, if they're still on the menu. Duane was especially helpful to our friend who has lactose intolerance. She ordered the chicken which is made dairy free. Both men had the bavette steak which were prepared exactly as they desired. I had the catfish which was beautifully prepared and arrived piping hot. Both red and white wines were good although my husband would have preferred a non-rose pino grigio and I a Malbec.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbelievable foodCambridgeDianeDined on 8/29/2014We got 2 appetizers, 2 main courses, 2 desserts, a side of corn bread, and cocktails- every bite of every dish was heaven- perfect mealSpecial Features:
- Innovative SouthernwfoodieVIPDined on 8/28/2014This is one of our favorite Cambridge restaurants. Amazing cornbread, salads, moist and delectable chicken, shrimp and grits, and the most amazing homemade desserts! Do not miss!Special Features:
- Southern comfort foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/27/2014They are in a large house with a modern but homey feel, great knowledgeable server. I love unusual items and combinations on the menu. I I had a wonderful salad and the striped bass. Cooked perfectly with crispy skin on top and over black eyed peas, snow beans, okra, bacon and I ordered a side of cheesy grits that completed the dish - nice wine choices as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- People come second hereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/27/2014Twice, I have brought guests to Hungry Mother. There won't be a third time. OK food, terrible service. My guest ordered a drink off the menu, only to be told rudely that they didn't serve that drink there. Of course they did, and she received it, so why the attitude? A simple request to modify the way my guest's dinner was plated was met with refusal; then, when we decided to eat elsewhere, one of the owners came out and agreed to the request. The first time I came, I was kept waiting for 20+ minutes at the reception desk even though my guest was already seated. And the meal had some very crude flavors. There are so many great places to dine -- this is not one of them.
- Different, deliciousdeebostonDined on 8/26/2014I celebrated my birthday here with my family - we all enjoyed our meals. The food was prepared and presented very well, and the service was great. We weren't left waiting for the next course, water glasses were filled promptly, and our main server appeared when we needed her. The menu is not extensive, but everything we had was delicious. We especially loved the cornbread and an appetizer that combined biscuits, ham, deviled eggs and cheese gougeres (fancy hush puppies).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnTravelsDined on 8/24/2014Their food is wonderful. The pan roasted chicken is fabulous! The skin is crisp yet the meat is moist and tender. My husband had the brisket and it was fork tender and delicious. The service was opposite of the food. We had waited for so long for someone to even acknowledge us. Luckily the manager happen to walk by and noticed us. We hardly saw the waitress all evening. Normally we get the "how's the food" as soon as the food is dropped off and we had not even taken a bite yet, but we didn't even get that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- From All the Raves, Not Impressed!dmvcwdVIPDined on 8/21/2014Visiting Boston, all I heard was... go to Hungry Mother. It was tough to secure a table, but we did. Starters: Pork Belly & Green Salad. Pork Belly was inedible due to over powering anchovy flavoring. I was expecting something like Cesar salad hints, not a full on fish dish. You couldn't even detect the pork, very disappointing. Main selections - Roasted Chicken & Brisket: chicken was nicely done, but nothing that would bring me back; brisket was mostly fat & the flavor wasn't appealing. My dining companion & I struggled to determine a lingering spice which just left an unpleasant after taste. ONLY REDEEMING ITEM: Grits with cheese & smoked bacon. If you go, order it, its fantastic! We skipped dessert, not wanting to tempt fate.Special Features:
- unaccommodating and pretentious317537Dined on 8/20/2014The food is fantastic, but that's a given. Table service was great. The hostess and manager were abominable. We had a late reservation (made on open table 2 days in advance, all the "normal" dinner times were taken, ok...9:30 it is). Hoping to be seated a little sooner, we showed up in advance to ask about moving it up. This was not possible, they were "fully booked" and would not be able to seat us before the time of our reservation. When we were seated at 9:30 we walked through a sea of open tables. Our dinner was rushed, and by the time we left we were the last ones in the dining room. Friends of ours had an earlier reservation and informed us that they sat next to an open 4-top for the entirety of their meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than comfort foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/19/2014Always a delectable and gracious dinning experience. Suitable for out of town guests and corporate dinning. Save the cornbread for desert!Special Features:
- Hard to beat HM.JslacksDined on 8/16/2014If you're in the market for a great meal in Cambridge... this is the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent!mikenjeneatDined on 8/16/2014We started with the scallop app and the meat plate. the scallops were amazing and the ham and cheese biscuits were out of this world! I wanted another one! Michael had the brisket with cream corn which was an amazing dish. I was very happy with my chicken. I've already made my reservation to go back at the end of September.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food with a twistGlobaltravelerVIPDined on 8/15/2014I went for dinner and was seated in a left hand corner. However, I am left handed and would end up hitting the wall. First the maître d' said there were no more tables, which I could clearly see that there were. Then he came back and offered to seat me in the windowless right hand corner. Strange, the couple that came in after me was seated at a nice table by a window. Hmmmmm. Anyway, I didn't want to sit in the dark corner, so he pulled the table away from the wall for me and gave me a complimentary order of cornbread with sorghum butter. It was absolutely scrumptious. For my appetizer I had the fish croquettes - very good but VERY salty. For my entrée, I had the cornmeal crusted catfish over dirty rice which was divine.
- LilyDined on 8/13/2014We have a tight group of four people that goes out and trays and shares as many dishes as possible. It was great with the appetizers, we loved the smoked wagyu beef tang and the the antebellum cornbread. For the main dishes it was not much of a choice, but the cast iron chicken was delicious and the beef brisket was great. The baked antebellum grits was interesting! I tried to follow your advise to not to get my heart too set on anything, but I really missed the french gnocchi that day. Need to come back, if only I get to reserve a spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoyed our dinnerMrwatsonVIPDined on 8/10/2014We had the steak and catfish along with cornbread and grits. Great Pinot. Dinner was fantastic. Great service. Delicious little pb-chocolate oat bites with the bill. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A treasure in cambridgenw2014VIPDined on 8/8/2014Have always heard great things about Hungry Mother, and it did not disappoint! The food is wonderful, and I enjoyed the homey, cosy setting.Special Features:
- ToughCustomerToughCustomerDined on 8/7/2014Splendid dinner! Not the first time for us at this restaurant. This is the second time, and both times were superb. The originality and textured flavors are really unlike any restaurant we have been to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hungry Mother is a Must!MetalOxVIPDined on 8/6/2014All four in my party agreed that this is the best restaurant we've been to in a long time. From wine to appetizers to dessert, it's a win.Special Features:
- Gr8 food marred by impolite serverrickDined on 7/31/2014The food was quite good, but our server just ruined it for me. She just sort of walked up to our table and said "so we have a special soup....." Then walked away. No introduction or niceties. Throughout the meal, she would just appear and not say much when standing at the table. Not bad service, per se, just not even the bare minimum of friendliness. Also, we asked her to call a cab for us, which she didn't do and just disappeared. The food and cocktails were amazing though so I would recommend it and would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern Cooking in Boston!CassiopiaDined on 7/31/2014Food was absolutely delicious. Best grits, tasso and cheese I have ever had. Menu is a little limited and I would to see the low country shrimp and grits as an addition. Profiteroles were our dessert and they were great - filled with and unbelievable creamy chocolate mousse. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Mother" won't send you to therapyfoodcomaDined on 7/30/2014Every element of every dish was wonderful. I love to cook, but I don't have the time or resources to put into even one dish that Hungry Mother does for every single dish. The flavors are vibrant, with delightful surprises. Even the little bits of ham on the deviled eggs...They cure their own. This was only my second visit; it was recommended to me by a colleague, and then I took a cooking class at Cambridge Center for Adult Education and asked the instructor (who works at Sofra) where he likes to go for dinner, and he recommended Mother. This trip was with a dear friend who lives between San Francisco and wine country and loves good food, and there was swooning going on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent place, all aroundshallorDined on 7/29/2014The food was incredible, drink selection is out of this world.Special Features:
- ExcellentLJ23Dined on 7/23/2014Novel interpretations of simple food, beyond expertly prepared. Everything had an artistic complexity, but our favorites had a nuanced subtlety. Scallops app, simple roast chicken entree, for example, were remarkable. I am actually originally from the border of NC/VA, and some of the flavors really did summon rare regional associations. Service was great. Noise level would be quiet except that it is a very small restaurant so you hear other people talking, clearly. Ambience is great actually as well, except for the small size of the dining room. This is coming from a person who just lived 10 yrs in NYC--- so believe me, it's truly very tight in there, but well worth it. Intimate. Don't try to get in without a reservation. Foodie-haven.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yes, please, more!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/23/2014Had a great special occasion dinner. The restaurant was closing the next day for vacation but you'd never have known it. The bavette steak was mouth-wateringly delicious, served over a bed of very thinly slice vegetables with a marrow sauce. The catfish was exquisite. We started with the cornbread served with sorghum butter, something different for us, but we greatly enjoyed it. We had no room for dessert, unfortunately. We look forward to returning, and not just because we enjoyed talking with one of the owners. That was delightful, but the food was worth the trip.Special Features:
- Great spot for special dinnercms1388Dined on 7/23/2014Delicious food and cocktails, great for a special dinner with one person or a small group. Ordered the corn bread, scallops, catfish, and bluefish, and all was delicious. Cocktail selection was fantastic as well. Entrees are a bit pricey so for regular occasions, I might stick to drinks and appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in Boston/CambridgeGailDined on 7/22/2014Hungry Mother is one of my absolute favorite restaurants in the Boston/Cambridge area and I've been a local for 40 years. The food is comfort food for foodies. Try their signature catfish or I recently had the skillet chicken which was the best chicken I've had in a while. Great cocktails too. It's not pretentious and is very consistent. See a movie nearby at the Kendall Square Cinema while you're there. Book ahead do you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but ....cbmhDined on 7/13/2014A pleasant evening and the food was interesting/inventive (loved the cornbread!) but it didn't quite live up to the hype. We would go again, if convenient. There were a couple bothersome things: first, the production about getting a reservation! A group of 6 is not huge. They made us call twice, then get a credit card deposit, then they asked us to call again -- hey, this isn't dining at the White House or anything and not even a Friday or Saturday night! Also, one wait person seemed annoyed that we were actually having a conversation at the table rather than waiting quietly until she appeared. In general the service was pleasant but this one staff interrupted us unceremoniously and it felt a bit unwelcoming. Overall, like but not love.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soul Food with a TwistGoldfishDined on 7/12/2014It is well thought out soul food with good flavor. First we sit both my husband and I couldn't read the menu, slightly dim lighting and we both need reading glasses but won't admit it. It wasn't a bad thing, it only enhanced the meal. As each dish came out we had a lovely time searching our tastebuds to guess the flavors. Sourgum butter on the their cornbread. Zing of mustard on the wagu cheeks. Pickled Watermelon cutting a citrus hint on the scallops. Earthy/Fois Gras creaminess of the giblets. Rich lobster & Grits. We ordered all but 2 of the appetizers and 1 entree. If entrees don't appeal order appetizers as the meal. The Sweet Tea and Profiteroles for dessert had a light sweet balance. The appetizers seem more interesting thanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable mealJojoVIPDined on 7/11/2014Food is exquisite and very delicate. I had a mouth-watering chilled pea soup and a great catfish dish. If you want savory Southern food, then this is the place.Special Features:
- Never disappoints!!KellyVIPDined on 7/11/2014Service is great and the food is amazing. The beef tongue is to die for; it is fantastic! Great local beer selection. This is my and my boyfriend's favorite restaurant hands down.Special Features:
- Excellent!happyboyfriendDined on 7/11/2014I took my girlfriend to dinner here for her birthday, and she loved it! It was a perfect birthday place. We had the cornbread (which was good, but I'm from the South, so I could make something similar I think, so it wasn't out-of-this-world) and the lobster and grits (also good, but maybe a tad too salty) as appetizers. The main courses--two fish dishes--were phenomenal, as was the dessert and the service. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- Absolutely Perfect MealScottDined on 7/9/2014The cornbread, beef tongue, seafood pan-roast, catfish, collard greens, and drinks were all outstanding and cooked / made perfectly. Well seasoned, well thought-out menu and flavor combinations, and terrific service. Will be back.Special Features: