Humuhumu - Grand Wailea
3850 Wailea Alanui Dr.
Wailea, HI 96761Neighborhood:
Hawaii Regional CuisinePrice: $31 to $50
Humuhumu - Grand Wailea
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.wailearesortdining.com/
- Phone: 8088751234x4900
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Hawaii Regional Cuisine, Polynesian
- Executive Chef: Michael Lofaro
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Humuhumunukunukuapua’a - Hana Room is a spacious private section of the restaurant available to seat up to 45 people with views of our salt water lagoon and serene waterfall backdrop. Full restaurant buyout also available.
- Private Party Contact: Restaurant Reservations 8088751234x4900
A word from Humuhumu - Grand Wailea
Voted "Best Resort Restaurant;" and "Best Ambiance,"Maui News Readers Choice, Readers Choice Awards 2009-2011. "Best Table for Two," and "Most Romantic Table," ISLANDS Magazine, "Best of the World's" editor's choice, 2009, 2012 and 2013.Romantic and exotic, this Maui ocean side restaurant offers the most spectacular sunset views. Named after Hawaii's state fish, the Polynesian thatch roof restaurant seems to float on a million-gallon saltwater lagoon filled with tropical fish. Select your own lobster from the lagoon or savor delicious Island fish and meat entrees with Polynesian or Hawaiian influences.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHawaii Regional Cuisine
Humuhumu - Grand Wailea - Best Restaurants in Wailea ›
Humuhumu - Grand Wailea reviews from OpenTable diners
113 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (85)great for outdoor dining (83)romantic (75)special occasion (60)fit for foodies (41)kid-friendly (28)good for groups (23)notable wine list (17)neighborhood gem (13)hot spot (7)great for lunch (5)late-night find (4)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great SunsetsboulderVIPDined on 10/16/2014Humu is an amazing restaurant built on a lagoon overlooking the ocean. Its awesome.Special Features:
- Exceeded Expectations !!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/14/2014We celebrated our anniversary here (@ table 70) the food was perfect !! (lobster and filet) along with the overall ambiance made this a very special evening. We had been here several years ago and was extremely disappointed with the service and overall poor quality of the establishment. This time around we found the staff went out of there way to make this a very special evening for us...... Kudos to the staff (Diane ) and the chef for a very memorable anniversary celebration.Special Features:
- Humu rocks!MrsGDined on 10/13/2014Amazing view & every dish we tried was awesome! Mary Ann sent us a plate of appetizers (she is amazing!) save room for the humu pie!!! Highly recommend Humu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Experience!DenverFoodieVIPDined on 10/11/2014Our first time to Maui, what a treat! Humuhumu was really a great experience. The food was great, we had the mac crusted mahi and local lobster. Sashimi was terrific, so fresh and beautifully prepared. My husband and I were seated out on their small deck, a private outdoor dining experience. Very romantic! Our server was very knowledgeable and so pleasant.Special Features:
- Best choice for a special evening.dadd24Dined on 10/9/2014Or first trip to Maui, 21st anniversary dinner, and first time away from our children. Without a doubt, was the best choice for this special evening. Great setting, outdoor, circled by water, fish, live lobsters & Tiki lights. Great service. We have already recommended to many people and will continue to do so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Maui Sunset ViewSemiRetiredDined on 10/6/2014Although a limited fish selection, this restaurant does provide a nice variety of meals. Excellent service from our server. Food was well prepared. And the bar seating on the pond and overlooking the ocean was lovely.Special Features:
- Wonderful experience, still!JudelvalDined on 10/5/2014My friend and I dined at Humu. This was her first visit to the restaurant, the GW, and Maui. She was stunned by the setting, and we were both incredibly happy with the service, the meal, and the ambiance. Every time I visit the island, I attempt to try new places and enjoy new adventures; Humu however is the one consistent visit I make every time. The night was a spectacular wrap up to both a fantastic day and an amazing trip. The only feedback I can leave for improvement was that that the chicken & pine nut potstickers on our pupu platters tasted tough and overcooked.Special Features:
- sirdinesoutalotDined on 10/2/2014Given the marketing strategy of a great flamboyant name, location and ambiance it is a shame the dining experience here is mediocre at best.Special Features:
- Perfect for a romantic Maui dinner!Adamsmith9Dined on 9/28/2014Great atmosphere, excellent food, and the best sunset on Maui.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic DinnerLingDined on 9/27/2014Beautiful restaurant with an amazing view of the sunset! You must try the Humu Pie, it is amazing! When we told our server we were on our honeymoon, he had the chef/kitchen staff write congratulations on our dessert. What a sweet gesture! While dining, you can watch the fish swim underneath the huts. It is on the pricey side, but it is definitely worth paying for the entire experience. I would eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Humu'sMauigirlDined on 9/27/2014As aways, they didn't disappoint. We were taking a couple of first time Maui folks out for dinner.Special Features:
- Wonderful Evening!MauiSueDined on 9/27/2014My husband and I dine here regularly, because we live on Maui and this is one of our favorite restaurants. The hamachi sashimi with ginger granite is my all-time favorite appetizer on Maui. We were seated at the special "over the water" table without a request. While the table would easily accommodate 8 people, it was just the two of us. We felt very special, indeed! Our server, Lindsey, was very pleasant and very attentive and never intrusive. The additional wait staff came and went, delivering dishes or clearing plates away. They were very pleasant, as well. I ordered the lamb this time, and it was perfectly cooked and seasoned. My husband ordered the surf & turf. The lobster was very large, and the filet was extremely tender.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LakermanDined on 9/23/2014The ambiance & food were fantastic. Service good of been a little better.Special Features:
- luvmauiDined on 9/23/2014I have eaten at this restaurant many times. The view is great, but the food is average and the service is poor. Many of the servers have been there a long time and it really shows. The bartenders are friendly and attentive. Next time I will just enjoy the view from the bar.Special Features:
- Improvements Noticed - Thank YouDrcmauiDined on 9/19/2014It appears that with the new ownership of the Singaporean Government that things have taken a turn for the better at HumuHumu. Food, flavor profile, service and overall attitude has definitely Improved. We have lived on Maui for about 30 years so, have dined at HumuHumu since its opening. Went last year for Restaurant Week and swore we would never return. As the recipients of a Gift Certificate, we went back Friday night, 9/19. The food was delicious and hot with a eye appealing presentation. Special Occasion, Romantic Evening, Date Night, Beautiful Sunsets would all be satisfied dining at HumuHumu. Prices may be a bit stiff for some visiting Maui but, the memory will be long remembered after the cost is long forgotten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very romanticLaurelVIPDined on 9/18/2014We had an excellent dinner and our waiter was very attentive. The scallops were outstanding and the surf and turf was exceptional. We saved this for our last evening on Maui and so glad we did. It was a truly memorable experience.Special Features:
- SuperbSmittyDined on 9/18/2014Great. larry great fun server. food excellent, live lobsters in pond you can select your own. (i didn't) expensive but worth it! great mai tais and good sizeSpecial Features:
- MAUI VIEWwinethirtyDined on 9/14/2014This place was awesome! The sunset view was absolutely gorgeous.Special Features:
- BeautifulTableTopDined on 9/13/2014Excellent view and excellent food! Chef gets five stars ***** :)Special Features:
- Great serviceMeliaVIPDined on 9/12/2014Our server, Brendan, was great! Even after our youngest dropped a glass of water, he brought him a stuffed animal (a humuhunukunuapuaa) and we continued on with our fantastic meal! Good food, a neat concept restaurant elevated over a giant fish pond complete with live lobsters, and a gorgeous view of the Wailea beach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Humuhumu is Greatgreat!panzDined on 9/12/2014Another memorable meal at a fantastic restaurant! The food was awesome (scallops are my personal favorite!), the service was topnotch, and love that they are kind to Kamaainas by offering a discount on the entrees! My new favorite restaurant on Maui!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary CoupleSeniorsDined on 9/11/2014Great dining pleasure. Very friendly service. Food was excellent. Great view of Maui Hawaiian sunset.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food ok service a let down.LiesuremanDined on 9/11/2014Lobster overcooked, fish slightly dry, sorbet took over 30 minutes to show up from when we ordered. It seems things have gone downhill from 5 years ago. Scenery is fantastic, but the high priced food/service shoul be better for the money.Special Features:
- Humuhumu is hummingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/10/2014Wonderful ambience by the carp-filled lagoon. Terrific conch chowder. Crispy snapper is superb. Very personable waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mimi78Dined on 9/10/2014The views are great and the food is very good. I can not wait to bring our granddaughters the next time they visit. The wait staff was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- maui vacation with 6 family members6familychicocaDined on 9/8/2014I found this in the Fodor's Maui book. We enjoyed the peaceful beauty of the restaurant. The food and service was great. My adult daughter was able to hold a 4 lb lobster! So great. Best 8 oz. Filet ever! 2 things..go before dark to get full expierence. The drinks were ridiculously overpriced. Overall we are glad we went.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the money!SnapperDined on 9/5/2014Fish dishes where covered with too sweet sauces. Couldn't enjoy the flavor of the fish. Salad of shaved fennel was really good.
- Great food and atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/4/2014We were hesitant as the restaurant looks like Polynesian Village at Disney World but the service, food and ambiance was really nice. Wait staff was friendly and helpful and provided great suggestions on what to order. Highly recommend any of the fish dishes but am sure that they do everything well.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Excellent restaurant, best in the area good food, great viewSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Location location locationHawaiiDined on 8/27/2014This dinner spot at the Grand Wailea Resort on Maui south side is the perfect spot if younwant trendy ocean views romantic ocean breeze and an expensive meal. Food is decent, but this place is all about the location. As an added bonus to our dinner Huey Lewis was playing a private concert on the grass next door.Special Features:
- Alex MarquezATX2013Dined on 8/24/2014Great ambiance and even better food! Larry was our server, he was amazing and very attentive! They made it a memorable nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014I'm so glad I chose this restaurant, the mahi-mahi was perfect, the service was very attentive, if fact, Wendy worked in the same town I came from in Wash. i loved it and will go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great viewCharleysDined on 8/23/2014The view is great and the food was awesome. Had the surf n turf and was prepared perfectly.Special Features:
- Fine dining at its best!SeagalDined on 8/23/2014Expect to spend at least $50 to $75 per person to dine here. The price is a bit on the high side for a family of three on a budget but it is worth it. We ordered and shared the rack of lamb with ratatouille, opah fish over black forbidden rice and the surf and turf. Good portion size. By the end of the meal there was nothing to lick off the plate. It was that delicious. Save your stomach for the Humu pie, a dessert built on Oreo cookies and layered with Kona and Macadamia nut ice cream. One of a kind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Resort RestaurantTroutLakerDined on 8/22/2014We were staying at the Grand Wailea and really enjoyed our dinner at Humuhumu. I had the filet and my wife enjoyed the mac nut crusted Mahi Mahi, both meals were a delight. The filet was cooked perfectly. The pleasant surprise of the evening, in addition to the lovely lagoon-style setting, was the selection and high quality of the kid menu. Our children enjoy salads and fresh options so it was great that Humuhumu provided options that were much more than a "happy meal".Special Features:
- YumaYumaGimmefoodDined on 8/19/2014Liked this place a lot - especially with two small kids. Service friendly and efficient. Food overall tastey. Only complaint was that salad was overdressed so it was too tart. Lobster was overlooked. Everything else we ordered was really good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over water diningBoza2211Dined on 8/17/2014We read a few reviews about Humus and whilst the food and wine were good, the poor waitress was so busy in her "section" that we were ignored for long periods of time. In a strange way that meant we were not rushed and could enjoy the venue more. I thought the food was good but inmho a little overpriced compared to some other places in Wailea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingLRyanDined on 8/17/2014We love this restaurant! Food & service was fabulous!! My kids loved it too- healthy kids meals!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Hawaiian/American cuisineTommyNDined on 8/16/2014This restaurant could be anywhere and it would be fantastic but the fact that it is literally on the sand of the Pacific Ocean (Grand Wailea in Maui) makes this foodie experience, scenic and romantic at the same time. This makes a fantastic dating experience. I took my family including 2 teen age boys and we had a great time. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT ROMANTIC GETAWAYROMANCEDined on 8/15/2014Fantastic place to stay if you're in the mood for romance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.