520 Aleka Loop
Kapaa, HI 96746Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://hukilaukauai.com/
- Phone: 8088220600
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ron Miller
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Visit our website for information on our private dining space.
- Entertainment: Tuesday-Sunday from 6-9pm enjoy live music in the bar and dining room.
A word from Hukilau Lanai
Beautiful views of the romantic torchlit landscaped grounds of the Kauai Coast Resort and the blue Pacific Ocean are yours at Hukilau Lanai. Hukilau Lanai has indoor and outdoor seating, Kauai Fresh Cuisine, a special wine list of "20 wines for $20-something", a full bar, seating in the bar as well as on the lanai with gentle tropical breezes. Hukilau is known for its fine food and service. Fresh Island produce, fish fresh from the Pacific and Hawaiian chocolate are signatures that define the menu along with old favorites. Everybody loves the Hukilau...Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Hukilau Lanai - Best Restaurants in Kapaa ›
Hukilau Lanai reviews from OpenTable diners
200 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (142)special occasion (137)romantic (124)scenic view (124)fit for foodies (112)neighborhood gem (59)notable wine list (43)good for groups (37)kid-friendly (29)hot spot (18)great for brunch (11)late-night find (8)great for lunch (6)vibrant bar scene (4)Show More
- Amazing experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/29/2014We came here for our wedding dinner and had an incredible experience. The food was amazing, the service was impeccable and the atmosphere was perfect. I would rate this restaurant as one of the best on the island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best deal on kauaihanaleiswimmerDined on 8/29/2014be sure to try their tasting menu - with or without wine. truly best deal in town - without wine is $28 for 5 courses. with wine is $40. they even accomodated our one gluten free person. we love that they use local sources - fish, produce, make their own sausage, etc. every dish was so tasty and plated beautifully. wait staff did an outstanding job. we were a group of 3 and would highly recommend hukilau lanai to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the bestKauai4everDined on 8/28/2014We are repeat diners at Hukilau lanai. It is the best quality food at "reasonable" prices. In a place like Kauai, you can spend the same amount of money somewhere else and get mediocre food, so we always go to Hukilau because they do not compromise on the food and service quality. Servers are very well trained on the menu and wine list. It's always an enjoyable evening at Hukilau.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing....againOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/27/2014this is probably my 6th time eating here - it is a must every time I go to Kauai. Although the ambience inside is not as good as outside, the food and service more than make up for it. The Ahi nachos, the arugula salad with the goat cheese (chevre), the Hukilau Mixed Grill in the Thai chili cocunut sauce and the chocolate warm cake are my favorites!!! Cannot miss with them. Also, the other items I have had are very good; however, these are the ones that I dream about when I'm not on the island. I have celebrated birthdays, anniversaries and just good food during my dining experiences - and it is always memorable and always delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect romantic dinnerdancingchefDined on 8/26/2014We had an excellent meal on our honeymoon. The food was excellent, service attentive but not invasive, portion sizes perfect and very relaxed..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- post wedding delight!bulldogDined on 8/24/2014this location was selected four our wedding celebration, the experience was amazing and the food was excellent. the waiter was knowledgable about the menu and helped us to make great choices. the food was cooked perfectly and tasted amazing. the creme brûlée was to die for!Special Features:
- Terrific food and great view!bdockVIPDined on 8/21/2014The food, view and service were all very good. For apps we had the poke nachos (good, not great), curried lobster bisque (amazing), lobster wonton-like things (very good). The salads included with the meal were all good. For main courses we had the meatloaf, ahi, and monchong - all were terrific. Our server was friendly but not overly so. We will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Great good, poor serviceEatwell2dayDined on 8/17/2014This was our 3rd trip to Hukilau. We put in a request for an outside table. There was a 25 min wait after res. to get one but immediate seating inside. Outside is great while inside is noisy. The older woman seating us was rude and gruff. The younger ones were nice. We ordered two cocktails, an app and two entrees. Our waiter forgot the app and brought the entrees with still no drinks. We told him to forget about the app. He then turned the cold shoulder on us. He ignore us, and gave us the stink eye with no words spoken whenever he did come to the table. When he brought is the bill and credit card paperwork there was not even a thank you. But, food was very good. Just don't inadvertently upset your waiter. How dare you!! ; )Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hukilau Lanai DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2014Picturesque setting, Great appetizers especially the calamari and lobster and goat cheese wonton and the lobster bisque. We loved the prime rib and hukilau mixed grill. Second time we have been there and plan on dining there again next year. Get reservations before you arrive to make sure you have the time you want.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExquisiteEsqinluvDined on 8/16/2014Absolutely amazing food. You have to try the poki nachos, it is not what you might expect. Not only were the waiter and the kitchen willing to go off-menu, they were very encouraging. The waiter was very knowledgable about the wine list and suggested an excellent pairing. This restarant clearly wants your eating experience to be memorable and pleasant. It is understandable why this resturant is consistsntly rated the best on the island.Special Features:
- Lovely GemcecejagDined on 8/15/2014We dined at Hukilau Lanai based on a word of mouth recommendation. The food was great, the atmosphere lovely, and overall a very pleasant dining experience. We look forward to going back.Special Features:
- Try the Tasting menuLuv2eatDined on 8/15/2014We tried the tasting menu (5 courses) with wine pairings. It was excellent! We started with gazpacho with pineapple/basil sorbet. Next came candied Ahi, then sauté sausage, and the catch of the day(swordfish). We topped it all off with creame brûlée. The portions were a perfect size so we came away comfortable, and not stuffed. All this great food and wine for only $40.00. I highly recommend it. It is only served starting from 5:00-5:45.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our 1st Dinner on KauaiDateNightDined on 8/14/2014Enjoyed the view and food!!!!!!!!!! Very friendly service - excellent selection of dinner and drinks - very fresh fishSpecial Features:
- Very goodBriansfDined on 8/13/2014Expensive but you get what you pay for ! Every meal was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Place For Our AnniversaryLuv2eatDined on 8/12/2014This restaurant was recommended by the condo owner. We truly enjoyed our dining experience. We appreciated that they use local ingredients, and everything we had was delicious. We both chose salads for appetizers and were pleased with the variety and flavour of the vegetables and dressings. One of us had the turf and surf and the other had the mixed grill. We enjoyed both of the entrees. The fish was delicious. For dessert one had dragon fruit sorbet and the other had cream brûlée. The cream brûlée was the best! The wine selection was good, we had no trouble finding a wine to complement our dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic, innovative foodMegandjohnDined on 8/10/2014My husband and I decided to try Hukilau Lanai for a fancy dinner on the last night of our honeymoon, and it did not disappoint. Our server was friendly and attentive, and it was refreshing to have the same person serve us most of our courses rather than a random runner. I started with the Minty Mo'o, which was a slightly more tropical take on a mojito and hands down one of the best cocktails I've ever had--minty and refreshing without being too sweet. The coffee-crusted ahi appetizer and the Ono were both perfectly prepared and just different enough to offer a unique combination of flavors without being too experimental. I only regret that we were too full to try one of the many tasty-sounding desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very EnjoyableJCurtDined on 8/10/2014The service here is outstanding and we have been welcomed more than 8 times in the past...tried the wine and food tastings and enjoyed every choice....great value as well....be back soonSpecial Features:
- Another delish meal!KateVIPDined on 8/8/2014We come every time we are on island, and this place never disappoints. The 5 course tasting meal is wonderful and very well priced (but you have to go early). Ono and opah were fab. Desserts were awesome. Service very attentive but not intrusive.Special Features:
- SunshineDined on 8/7/2014Even though it was raining, the food was good, nice ambiance, but what made it great was the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/7/2014The setting is beautiful. The food was very good especially the poke nachos. Definitely worth the driveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dining on the island.4urinfoDined on 8/7/2014If you have an opportunity to be served by Andrew your experienced will be enhanced. He is a real professional.Special Features:
- Great food for couples or familiestmac92260Dined on 8/7/2014We heard about this restaurant in Tasting Kauai and immediately made a reservation for the whole family (including 4 year old and 1 year old). The service was great and they were very intentional with the kids (plastic cups, coloring sheets). We sat outside with a great view of the pool and ocean and the food was phenomenal. The ahi poke nachos were very tasty, and the mixed grill with shrimp and blackened mahi mahi was amazing. Great taste and very reasonably priced for the amount of food and the location of the restaurant. We look forward to returning to Kauai and to Hukilau Lanai.Special Features:
- Food was amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/6/2014I wasn't sure when we walked into the restaurant as the décor is a little dated. However, we were seated at a spot with a beautiful view of the property and ocean and I didn't even notice the décor anymore. The food was amazing! The calamari appetizer was the best I've ever had. I had a seafood medley with 2 types of fresh fish, shrimp and scallops that tasted like butter. My husband said this was the best steak he's ever had. I highly recommend this hidden gem!Special Features:
- Top of the lineLiv2eatDined on 8/3/2014The calamari appetizer was about the best I have experienced, and so was the ahi tuna entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- don't miss itrairmacDined on 8/2/2014Simply a great dining experience. Excellent location, food, and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the searcRobodocDined on 8/1/2014Great food! Great service. Hard to find by Google maps since Aleke loop not marked off Kuhio hwy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hukilau LanaiTummyYummiesDined on 8/1/2014The food was fantastic. Our group all ordered different fish on the menu and all of it was FANTASTIC! Our service was prompt and friendly. This is a definite must for dining on Kauai!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in Kaui'iOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/31/2014Great atmosphere. Prices very reasonable ans service excellent.Special Features:
- Excellent ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/31/2014Wonderful service from the moment we were greeted by the Hostess to the service by our Server. We were fortunate to be seated on the covered Lanai. Our server was friendly and informative about the menu options. The "Tasting Menu" with wine for $40 /$28 without wine was delicious and a good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- madhuDined on 7/30/2014Hukilau has consistently been a great dining experience. The food is always excellent, quality of ingredients, preparation, presentation, just everything perfect - no matter whether you pick fish, meat or vegetarian dish. I recommend this place to everyone who is looking for a great dinner!Special Features:
- MommyWTGODined on 7/29/2014The food is kind of salty. But I noticed food at a lot of restaurants in Kaua'i are salty. Their tenderloin is very tender and is delicious but the sauce is super salty! I love the combination grilled plate, the waloo fish is so buttery that melts in your mouth. Mushroom tart was salty, lobster wonton is good with their sauce and calamari is ok. They have cheap wines though for $20 something. Which is a great deal! Their cocktail are very strong so if you want to get drunk you can have several of them. The funny thing is this guy came and ask if we need chopsticks. I think it's because we're Asian. We didn't have any dessert because it took too long to get our waiters attention and we had to get back to our kids. Nice experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is your special treat place!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/26/2014We come every trip and enjoy their salad appetizers and deserts. The meals are about $30 and okay but their appetizers are $10 and so Ono. Our favorite is their Wally salad. And end it with their Illikoi pie or chocolate dessert. The service is always great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible foodluvrealfoodDined on 7/26/2014The best food I've ever had. You can taste the love these people have for the food. They respect it and treat it kindly, making everyhting from scratch. Staff very kind and respectful, they make you feel like a very soecial guest. We had a great experience here. I recommend this restaurant to anyone who loves real food, and wants to experience something different. Prices are a littke higher than other places but it's worth every penny when you compare to other places where a plate is 20 bucks and they give you reheated and microwaved food, that was prepared a month or more in advance and kept frozen. This is real food that tastes real amazing! Will definitelly go back any chance I get.Special Features:
- A Mellow and Enchanted EveningirajDined on 7/25/2014Seated at a pleasant semi-outdoor table. Service was courteous and efficient with enough check-ins for everything we might need. Cuisine was tasty and well balanced in texture and flavor. Have always had a good experience at Hukilau Lanai.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went Three for FourracCTDined on 7/25/2014Appetizers and dessert were good, as was one of the two entrees. The opah on pasta was a little overcooked and while the pasta was very tasty the fish was bland. service was good, attentive waitress, but the mood was brought down by people pushing supply carts up and down the main aisle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best value on KauaiDrBob77VIPDined on 7/24/2014I give this 5 stars because it is very good or better in all categories while still being very reasonable. We have gone here every year for the last 5 years. The seafood is always great. We typically get the mixed grill selection. Don't miss the lobster and goat cheese wonton and leave room for dessert. Everything is local and fresh. Lots of wine choices for under $30. Sit on the lanai and enjoy the view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hukilau July 2014RLee808Dined on 7/24/2014We had some relatives come into town. Took them to our favorite restaurant, The Hukilau. We have never been disappointed with the food or service here. Chef Ron rocks!Special Features:
- Third Time At This RestaurantLDM911Dined on 7/23/2014My husband and I had our anniversary dinner here. We got to sit out on the lanai which was wonderful. Also wonderful was the food and service.Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceChumleyDined on 7/23/2014We were vacations on Kauai from Tacoma WA and were planning a special dinner for my birthday. We were looking at 3 different restaurants and we asked multiple locales where they would go for a special occasion. Everyone of them said they would go to Hukilau. Everything lived up to everyone's recommendations. I had the steak crown royale, which was one of the best meals I've ever had. Thank you for making our dinner so special from beginning to end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/22/2014The opah and ono dishes were fantastic. Our waiter was awesome and even took one of our favorite pics of us together of the entire trip. the traditional slack key music played from the bar was the perfect background music for our romantic evening.Special Features: