520 Aleka Loop
Kapaa, HI 96746Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://hukilaukauai.com/
- Phone: 8088220600
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ron Miller
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Visit our website for information on our private dining space.
- Entertainment: Tuesday-Sunday from 6-9pm enjoy live music in the bar and dining room.
A word from Hukilau Lanai
Beautiful views of the romantic torchlit landscaped grounds of the Kauai Coast Resort and the blue Pacific Ocean are yours at Hukilau Lanai. Hukilau Lanai has indoor and outdoor seating, Kauai Fresh Cuisine, a special wine list of "20 wines for $20-something", a full bar, seating in the bar as well as on the lanai with gentle tropical breezes. Hukilau is known for its fine food and service. Fresh Island produce, fish fresh from the Pacific and Hawaiian chocolate are signatures that define the menu along with old favorites. Everybody loves the Hukilau...Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Hukilau Lanai - Best Restaurants in Kapaa ›
Hukilau Lanai reviews from OpenTable diners
202 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (154)special occasion (142)fit for foodies (127)scenic view (125)romantic (125)neighborhood gem (69)notable wine list (48)good for groups (38)kid-friendly (28)hot spot (23)great for brunch (10)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (5)great for lunch (5)Show More
- Incredible food!JeanneVIPDined on 9/21/2014Hukilau Lanai is my favorite restaurant to go to celebrate or impress. We started off with the candied ahi poke and that was just amazing. I tried the filet mignon last night for the first time and my taste buds felt like they had died and gone to heaven! It was so tender and cooked to perfection. Service was quick, only way it could have been better is if the server was a little perkier but that's a minor detail.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2014Great food and atmosphere! Highly recommend for a special eveningSpecial Features:
- Beautiful and so goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2014The was just amazing. We are foodies and always have our staples to try at new places. This was our first time to Kauai and to Hukilau Lanai. The Calamari is our staple and it was the best we've had; fresh, cooked perfectly, and the aoli was so good. We also ordered the Prime Rib, the Macadamia crusted chicken and the Fish Sampler. All were cooked perfectly and the chicken was exceptional and the fish sampler was with local fish we had never heard of but quickly read up on it after we got back to the hotel (Walu and Hebi...interesting read I must say; glad we ate less than a 3 ounce portion.) We also got the Lilikoi Coconut tart-Excellent. We highly recommend this place. There were 4 of us and we did not order alcohol and our bill was $160.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Allergy ConsiderateOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/18/2014Very accomodating about allergy restaints. I am allergic to lactose and gluten and they have been able to create a gourmet seafood meal every time we've visited Hukilau (8 times in the past e months). Excellent chef -- excellent wait stallSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findBillCVIPDined on 9/18/2014We have been by this place a number of times over the years and finally decided to give it a try. We were not disappointed. We were there in time for their tasting menu and were not disappointed. The food was excellent and the wine parings were wonderful. We will make this a regular event every year on our visit.Special Features:
- Super findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014We were looking for a great place to eat on our Kauai vacation and sure found it at the Hukilau Lani! Great food, super service and an all around great evening! You must try Adams Poki Nachos!! They are the best!Special Features:
- Best restaurant on Kauai. Loved itBabsieDined on 9/16/2014Five thumbs up. We had quite the experience on Tuesday night. We stayed here at the resort and had been told by guests at the pool that the food is awesome, we were not let down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Tasting MenuAliciaDined on 9/16/2014We deliberately went between 5 and 5:45 for the tasting menu. It was delicious and was paired with wine for each course. We thought it was a great value with great food. We recommend it to everyone. It was our last meal on the island and the best!Special Features:
- A MustVacationerVIPDined on 9/14/2014I visit Kauai every year and I always make it a necessity to dine at Hukilau Lanai. The food is amazing and the service is impeccable! We had the Surf & Turf (filet cooked perfectly with a beautiful sauce, the fish and the lemon sauce was very flavorful), the Opah and the Prime Rib were outstanding and just melted in our mouths. I also have to mention that the Arugula salad is "killer", what a great combination with the Chevre...add the cheese, it's worth it. All dishes are truly fabulous and we've always had wonderful meals. The bottle wine prices are great too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable Anniversary DinnermanpakDined on 9/14/2014A very nice open air restaurant, located in the Kauai Coast Resort, overlooking tropical gardens and the ocean (setback, so not a beach view). The restaurant itself was not 'fancy', but very comfortable, with lots of seating room. The service was excellent and the food was very good. Try the Sweet Potato raviolis as an appetizer, different and excellent. My wife's Filet Mignon was "melt in her mouth" excellent. My fish plate was very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect food and atmosphere5StarsDined on 9/12/2014Excellent filet. Perfect. Very friendly staff. Great atmosphere .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food. great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014the food was really, really good. the prices were on par with everywhere else in the neighborhood, even a little cheaper than some, but the food was head and shoulders above the rest. also, the staff were really knowledgeable and attentive without being obnoxious. really great experience overall. highly recommended.Special Features:
- Very SpecialVVWDAWVIPDined on 9/11/2014We eat here every year, and it never disappoints. The food is very good and so is the service. Our server, Sandra, was very friendly and efficient, and she even new all of the ingredients for the marinade on one of the entrees when we asked about it. All four of us had fish entrees that were superbly prepared. We also appreciate the fact that the dinners include a salad or soup and usually has a side item with it too. Even with an Open Table reservation, they sometimes run a little late, but you can enjoy the flowers on the grounds behind the restaurant or live music in the lounge while you are waiting.Special Features:
- Except for ...GandGDined on 9/10/2014Kind of a creepy waiter, we have no complaints. We had fish dishes perfectly prepared and our entrees came w/ salad or soup. With a $30 price tag, it can't be beat for a white tablecloth dinner here on Kauai. Now about the waiter, he was pleasant enough but would hover over our table before addressing us and then made our comments. Maybe he just had too much fun in the sun that day. Anyway, it was kind of a turn off. The restaurant has a well-chosen wine by the glass offering, which is great if you're coming from Princeville, Lihue or PoipuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect location for AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/9/2014Celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary--this place was perfect. The waiter was friendly & knowledgeable. The food was outstanding. Clams for appetizer was good. The chowder with house made bacon was divine. I had the Onaga which was the best seafood dish I ate in my 1.5 weeks in Hawaii, I can't recommend it highly enough as it was outstanding. Hubby loved his prime rib cooked perfectly. The lilikoi tart was the perfect ending to a great meal. The Mai Tai was OK (acceptable but not special), the Island Orchid martini was missing something so I ordered a shot of Creme De Cocao which sweetened it up nicely. The waiter handled a difficult table of seafood critics next to us with poise and grace. Thanks for a memorable meal (and truffles)!Special Features:
- Outdoor GemMichaelBDined on 9/6/2014The ambiance was just right for a night out for a special occasion. The food was delightful and portion sizes were filling. We enjoyed our dinner here entirely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RomanceCossieguyDined on 9/6/2014This is a very nice restaurant for a lovely evening. Great foid,good service and fantastic atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Prime Rib EVER!!TammyDined on 9/6/2014This is one of the few places in Kauai that we go to order something other than fish. They have one of the best Prime Rib's we have ever had. It is so tender, you can actually just cut it with your fork. Just make sure you get your reservation request in early. It is so popular, it can take 3-4 days to get a table. So worth it!!Special Features:
- Reasonable fine dining..KrisDined on 9/5/2014We have visited Lihue annually for the last six years and usually stick to places that locals frequent. We thought we would change it up a little and try something on a hotel property. It was a pleasant surprise. I had the tasting menu, so I had a little of everything. The gazpacho was so refreshing and light. The candied ahi was delicious. The sausage with eggplant was a little salty. The fish was cooked perfectly with the quinoa. The wonderfully paired artisan cheeses with the baguettes were the perfect ending to a lovely meal. My dining companions had steamed clams and the other had prime rib. Each cooked perfectly. They also enjoyed the seafood chowder. The location was so easy to get to if you are on the east side. Reservations needed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/4/2014We booked this restaurant for our anniversary dinner:The hostess noticed I was dressed up and gave us a table on the lanai at the end where it was a little more private and romantic. When I mentioned to the waitress it was our anniversary, they brought our desserts with "Happy Anniversary" written on the plate and a little extra gift of a couple of chocolate truffles in a gift box, which was a classy touch. Food was very good and service very attentive, loved the mango cucumber gazpacho. Never order surf and turf as portions are usually too big for me, but the "mixed grill" was just right. Steak and fish both delicious and melted in my mouth, pace leisurely without being slow, Live music in the background made the whole evening special.Special Features:
- our special place on KauaisunflowerVIPDined on 9/4/2014This is our special/favorite place to dine on Kauai. Te food is delicious, service is amazing, and the view is spectacular. If we only dine out once when on island, it is at the Hukilau Lanai!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Way To End Our VacationFSThreeDined on 9/3/2014This was the last meal we had before heading back home. It was a great choice. I was surprised by how they managed to maintain a sophisticated experience while still accommodating children. I had the pork medallions over fried polenta, which was generous in its portion and lush in its taste. I also had the 'Freakin Hot Chocolate' cocktail, which was an interesting mix of vodka, spicy chili, and chocolate powder. I won't order it again (phew), but it was fun and tasted great for what it was. Our server was kind and all smiles. However, she seemed to struggled with recalling the specials which made for a long and unusual first meet. That said, service was great overall.Special Features:
- MarcheeyaDined on 9/3/2014It's hard to save room for dessert when everything is soooo good (BUT you really should though!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Kauai GemOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/2/2014Beautiful setting and luscious and delicious food. Great service and yummy French press coffee.Special Features:
- Amazing experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/29/2014We came here for our wedding dinner and had an incredible experience. The food was amazing, the service was impeccable and the atmosphere was perfect. I would rate this restaurant as one of the best on the island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best deal on kauaihanaleiswimmerDined on 8/29/2014be sure to try their tasting menu - with or without wine. truly best deal in town - without wine is $28 for 5 courses. with wine is $40. they even accomodated our one gluten free person. we love that they use local sources - fish, produce, make their own sausage, etc. every dish was so tasty and plated beautifully. wait staff did an outstanding job. we were a group of 3 and would highly recommend hukilau lanai to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the bestKauai4everDined on 8/28/2014We are repeat diners at Hukilau lanai. It is the best quality food at "reasonable" prices. In a place like Kauai, you can spend the same amount of money somewhere else and get mediocre food, so we always go to Hukilau because they do not compromise on the food and service quality. Servers are very well trained on the menu and wine list. It's always an enjoyable evening at Hukilau.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing....againmonsieurjohnDined on 8/27/2014this is probably my 6th time eating here - it is a must every time I go to Kauai. Although the ambience inside is not as good as outside, the food and service more than make up for it. The Ahi nachos, the arugula salad with the goat cheese (chevre), the Hukilau Mixed Grill in the Thai chili cocunut sauce and the chocolate warm cake are my favorites!!! Cannot miss with them. Also, the other items I have had are very good; however, these are the ones that I dream about when I'm not on the island. I have celebrated birthdays, anniversaries and just good food during my dining experiences - and it is always memorable and always delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect romantic dinnerdancingchefDined on 8/26/2014We had an excellent meal on our honeymoon. The food was excellent, service attentive but not invasive, portion sizes perfect and very relaxed..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- post wedding delight!bulldogDined on 8/24/2014this location was selected four our wedding celebration, the experience was amazing and the food was excellent. the waiter was knowledgable about the menu and helped us to make great choices. the food was cooked perfectly and tasted amazing. the creme brûlée was to die for!Special Features:
- Terrific food and great view!bdockVIPDined on 8/21/2014The food, view and service were all very good. For apps we had the poke nachos (good, not great), curried lobster bisque (amazing), lobster wonton-like things (very good). The salads included with the meal were all good. For main courses we had the meatloaf, ahi, and monchong - all were terrific. Our server was friendly but not overly so. We will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Great good, poor serviceEatwell2dayDined on 8/17/2014This was our 3rd trip to Hukilau. We put in a request for an outside table. There was a 25 min wait after res. to get one but immediate seating inside. Outside is great while inside is noisy. The older woman seating us was rude and gruff. The younger ones were nice. We ordered two cocktails, an app and two entrees. Our waiter forgot the app and brought the entrees with still no drinks. We told him to forget about the app. He then turned the cold shoulder on us. He ignore us, and gave us the stink eye with no words spoken whenever he did come to the table. When he brought is the bill and credit card paperwork there was not even a thank you. But, food was very good. Just don't inadvertently upset your waiter. How dare you!! ; )Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hukilau Lanai DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2014Picturesque setting, Great appetizers especially the calamari and lobster and goat cheese wonton and the lobster bisque. We loved the prime rib and hukilau mixed grill. Second time we have been there and plan on dining there again next year. Get reservations before you arrive to make sure you have the time you want.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExquisiteEsqinluvDined on 8/16/2014Absolutely amazing food. You have to try the poki nachos, it is not what you might expect. Not only were the waiter and the kitchen willing to go off-menu, they were very encouraging. The waiter was very knowledgable about the wine list and suggested an excellent pairing. This restarant clearly wants your eating experience to be memorable and pleasant. It is understandable why this resturant is consistsntly rated the best on the island.Special Features:
- Lovely GemcecejagDined on 8/15/2014We dined at Hukilau Lanai based on a word of mouth recommendation. The food was great, the atmosphere lovely, and overall a very pleasant dining experience. We look forward to going back.Special Features:
- Try the Tasting menuLuv2eatDined on 8/15/2014We tried the tasting menu (5 courses) with wine pairings. It was excellent! We started with gazpacho with pineapple/basil sorbet. Next came candied Ahi, then sauté sausage, and the catch of the day(swordfish). We topped it all off with creame brûlée. The portions were a perfect size so we came away comfortable, and not stuffed. All this great food and wine for only $40.00. I highly recommend it. It is only served starting from 5:00-5:45.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our 1st Dinner on KauaiDateNightDined on 8/14/2014Enjoyed the view and food!!!!!!!!!! Very friendly service - excellent selection of dinner and drinks - very fresh fishSpecial Features:
- benmariDined on 8/13/2014Great food! We ate there 3 x and loved it !! The lobster curry bisque was to die for. The lobster & goat wonton with goat cheese wonton with ginger plum sauce was beyond yummy! I would highley recommend this restaurant too anyone who is going to Kauai! Thank you Hukilau for the memories we will never forget you and hope to see you again!!Special Features:
- Very goodBriansfDined on 8/13/2014Expensive but you get what you pay for ! Every meal was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Place For Our AnniversaryLuv2eatDined on 8/12/2014This restaurant was recommended by the condo owner. We truly enjoyed our dining experience. We appreciated that they use local ingredients, and everything we had was delicious. We both chose salads for appetizers and were pleased with the variety and flavour of the vegetables and dressings. One of us had the turf and surf and the other had the mixed grill. We enjoyed both of the entrees. The fish was delicious. For dessert one had dragon fruit sorbet and the other had cream brûlée. The cream brûlée was the best! The wine selection was good, we had no trouble finding a wine to complement our dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.