520 Aleka Loop
Kapaa, HI 96746Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://hukilaukauai.com/
- Phone: 8088220600
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ron Miller
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Visit our website for information on our private dining space.
- Entertainment: Tuesday-Sunday from 6-9pm enjoy live music in the bar and dining room.
A word from Hukilau Lanai
Beautiful views of the romantic torchlit landscaped grounds of the Kauai Coast Resort and the blue Pacific Ocean are yours at Hukilau Lanai. Hukilau Lanai has indoor and outdoor seating, Kauai Fresh Cuisine, a special wine list of "20 wines for $20-something", a full bar, seating in the bar as well as on the lanai with gentle tropical breezes. Hukilau is known for its fine food and service. Fresh Island produce, fish fresh from the Pacific and Hawaiian chocolate are signatures that define the menu along with old favorites. Everybody loves the Hukilau...Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Hukilau Lanai - Best Restaurants in Kapaa ›
Hukilau Lanai reviews from OpenTable diners
207 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (159)special occasion (137)fit for foodies (125)romantic (121)scenic view (111)neighborhood gem (70)notable wine list (48)good for groups (35)kid-friendly (26)hot spot (23)great for brunch (9)late-night find (9)great for lunch (5)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- Birthday CelebrationmrflowersDined on 10/18/2014The food, as always, was delicious. We started with Adams Poke Nachos and each had a different entre. Adam gave us a complimentary slice of peanut butter Pie. OMG! wonderful. We also had the Petite Sarah wine by the glass. and cosmopolitans made with mandarin vodka. WonderfulSpecial Features:
- One of Kauai's FinestOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/17/2014We have been dining here for quite a few years, and are never disappointed. The food is always fresh and beautifully prepared and presented. The staff is attentive. There is not a bad table, although we prefer the lower terrace. The restaurant faces out onto a very large courtyard lined with tiki torches, with the Pacific at the far distant end. It is a wonderful area for strolling along the beach walkway following dinner. The fried calamari makes a great starter; the Wally salad is our favorite, and any entree is a good choice. It is a quiet, romantic spot, and also a good choice for families celebrating a special occasion.Special Features:
- Great place, highly recommendMagical10Dined on 10/15/2014We had a recommendation for a friend to visit this restaurant while we were vacationing on the island. While on the trip we had numerous people tell us it was a great place to go. We shared the filet mignon and the seafood mixed grill. They did not disappoint. The food was great and our server was very attentive. We highly recommend the Hukilau Lanai to anyone who is on the island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Food on KauaiJamieEDined on 10/14/2014We went to Hukilau Lanai based on Trip Advisor reviews. It was for our anniversary dinner while vacationing on the island. It was by far the best meal that we had during our 10 days on Oahu and Kauai. The lobster bisque was exquisite, wally & caesar salads both yummy, Hukilau fish dish was amazing and the chocolate cake was heaven. Server (Ryan) was outstanding. Money well spent.Special Features:
- OverratedVirginieDined on 10/12/2014Overal bad experience. The restaurant is dated. The main dishes were tasteless, the fishes were all overcooked. Service is ok. I would'nt recommend it and it's hard to understand why this restaurant is so well rated.
- okHORRIBLEDined on 10/12/2014it was ok. the mac nut chicken was the best. it was hot and there is no ac so go prepared. the desert was horrible. we got 2 appetizers 5 entrees and 3 desserts. the poke nachos and squash raviolis were great. had mac nut chicken, prime rib, 2 ahi dinners and a maui maui dinner. the mac nut was the best the others were pretty bland. had the lava cake, chocolate mousse, creme brûlée and all were horrible. the lava cake was not sweet at all. definitely could work on there desserts.Special Features:
- Great anniversary placefactastic4dineDined on 10/12/2014I had dinner with my wife here for our 1st anniversary. The food was fantastic and the server's recommendation on drink was also great. My wife really enjoyed it. Also, they didn't forget my comment that I made when I reserve via this opentable, and gave us special gift when we leave after dinner.Special Features:
- Lanai DiningOregondinerDined on 10/10/2014My husband and I enjoyed our dinner here and appreciated the attentive service! It's nice that the dinners all come with a choice of one of their 4 salads or soup. We requested lanai seating via Open Table and they had our table waiting. Must order one of their specialty drinks! There was a sudden downpour and 4-5 waiters immediately brought down the awning flaps to keep diners dry (it looked quite orchestrated)! Anyway, fabulous food and nice atmosphere. We ended our meal with dessert and coffee and the total bill was $87! A nice surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crowded, but excellent locationEdCoDined on 10/10/2014Very popular with locals, so expect 90-min wait if no reservations (but free WiFi). For max awesome, ask for makai-side table around time of full moon.Special Features:
- Great setting;so-so foodSharonSDined on 10/9/2014Service was a bit uneven with soup and salad arriving half way through our appetizer. Waitress took our wine order and disappeared for 10 min..Food just OK. My 'mixed grill' - shrimp with two grilled seafood choices was 2/3 good - one piece of fish was very dry and sauce was overly sweet.Special Features:
- Fantastic FishhawaiianheavenDined on 10/8/2014The fish was prepared in a custom way just as I requested. Tasted fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just wow!chasDined on 10/5/2014This was one of the best dining places I have ever been + over looking the grounds over a glass of wine was especially nice. Service was great, albeit slow at times, but who cared with setting. We both had fish dishes cooked superbly. Finished off with crème brulee, hmmmm.Special Features:
- Delicious808diningDined on 10/4/2014The food was great! Service was excellent. The menu selections was excellent. There was menu items for everyone. Everything was great other then finding parking. Did I mention the food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful locationgopack4Dined on 10/4/2014Beautiful location in Kapaa. Service, food, and prices all 5**.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last Dinner In ParadisePwsjDined on 10/4/2014We were leaving Kauai in the morning so we had one last good meal out. This was well worth it. Two peole had the Macadamia Nut Chicken and raved about it for a day. I had the Mixed seafood grill and the it was awesome, especially the pineapple sauce. We return to Kauai once a year and we will come earlier in our visit next time. Well worth it.Special Features:
- Just okjessluvsfoodDined on 10/1/2014This was the fancy dinner we were most excited about and it turned out to be our least favorite. Even sitting on the lanai felt very much like dining at a standard hotel. The fish was good but not great. The service was informative but not fantastic. The mixed drinks were mediocre.Special Features:
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/30/2014We had the five course food and wine paints and it was very good. Prices were moderate. Service was friendly and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AtmospherefoodmonsterDined on 9/27/2014Ocean view and Filet Mignon are a perfect match. Friendly staff. A+Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting menu was good!Table42Dined on 9/27/2014Gazpacho was bright and flavorful, vegetable tart buttery and savory, and the fish course was mahi mahi, but deliciously and perfectly prepared. The lamb however was a bit disappointing - chunks buried in uninspired floppy pasta dish. Likewise the dessert course. Still, we enjoyed the meal overall, the service was very attentive, and the environment was pleasant. Would return again, and also recommend the place to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great CalamarirdcsDined on 9/26/2014Really great meal for our last night on the island. We started with Calamari which was really good then all tried a different fish. All were prepared great and although it sounded like they might have to much sauce/spices, all were really tasty. My son finished the night with the chocolate lava cake and it was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pop1Dined on 9/24/2014Best dining experience on Kauai. Food was superb. Staff was prompt, efficient, and courteous. Mai Tai was excellent.Special Features:
- Incredible food!JeanneVIPDined on 9/21/2014Hukilau Lanai is my favorite restaurant to go to celebrate or impress. We started off with the candied ahi poke and that was just amazing. I tried the filet mignon last night for the first time and my taste buds felt like they had died and gone to heaven! It was so tender and cooked to perfection. Service was quick, only way it could have been better is if the server was a little perkier but that's a minor detail.Special Features:
- Excellent food and great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2014They are always busy but you never feel rushed. Excellent food and drink!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReservationsfrequentdinerouterDined on 9/21/2014Reservations were hard to get, but it was worth the effort to get our reservation. The food was really great and the view of the outdoor setting was beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cheesy & predictableOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/20/2014My husband and I went here on our honeymoon because his company gave us a gift certificate. Our food was OK - nothing special. I had the Ono which was a bit salty for my liking and overpowered with coconut milk. My husband's macadamia nut chicken tasted like a frozen chicken breast patty. It was dark outside by the time we had our reservation but it looked like it looked out onto a golf course or courtyard. Wouldn't recommend going here with high expectations.
- WandaDined on 9/19/2014Great food and atmosphere! Highly recommend for a special eveningSpecial Features:
- Beautiful and so goodGoodDined on 9/19/2014The was just amazing. We are foodies and always have our staples to try at new places. This was our first time to Kauai and to Hukilau Lanai. The Calamari is our staple and it was the best we've had; fresh, cooked perfectly, and the aoli was so good. We also ordered the Prime Rib, the Macadamia crusted chicken and the Fish Sampler. All were cooked perfectly and the chicken was exceptional and the fish sampler was with local fish we had never heard of but quickly read up on it after we got back to the hotel (Walu and Hebi...interesting read I must say; glad we ate less than a 3 ounce portion.) We also got the Lilikoi Coconut tart-Excellent. We highly recommend this place. There were 4 of us and we did not order alcohol and our bill was $160.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Allergy ConsiderateOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/18/2014Very accomodating about allergy restaints. I am allergic to lactose and gluten and they have been able to create a gourmet seafood meal every time we've visited Hukilau (8 times in the past e months). Excellent chef -- excellent wait stallSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findBillCVIPDined on 9/18/2014We have been by this place a number of times over the years and finally decided to give it a try. We were not disappointed. We were there in time for their tasting menu and were not disappointed. The food was excellent and the wine parings were wonderful. We will make this a regular event every year on our visit.Special Features:
- Exceeded our expectationsTravelLoversDined on 9/17/2014We thought this would be a casual family restaurant but it turned out to be a lovely "special occasion" restaurant - fabulous food, great service - definitely exceed our expectations and is now at the top of our list for favorite Kauai restaurants. We'll be back in April!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unearth GemSbroadhogVIPDined on 9/17/2014Who would have thought a wonderful restaurant could be found among a small older condo development. I kept seeing reviews for this wonderful find and had to give it a try myself. My wife and I had second thoughts upon arriving. The street entrance was very unassuming as was hostess stand, but once seated you felt all those there were keeping it a secret for themselves. The resort the restaurant is located is very well kept and seems the people all had been here on more than one occasion. The service was outstanding as was the menu. Great find in Kapa'a Kauai.Special Features:
- Super findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014We were looking for a great place to eat on our Kauai vacation and sure found it at the Hukilau Lani! Great food, super service and an all around great evening! You must try Adams Poki Nachos!! They are the best!Special Features:
- Best restaurant on Kauai. Loved itBabsieDined on 9/16/2014Five thumbs up. We had quite the experience on Tuesday night. We stayed here at the resort and had been told by guests at the pool that the food is awesome, we were not let down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Tasting MenuAliciaDined on 9/16/2014We deliberately went between 5 and 5:45 for the tasting menu. It was delicious and was paired with wine for each course. We thought it was a great value with great food. We recommend it to everyone. It was our last meal on the island and the best!Special Features:
- A MustVacationerVIPDined on 9/14/2014I visit Kauai every year and I always make it a necessity to dine at Hukilau Lanai. The food is amazing and the service is impeccable! We had the Surf & Turf (filet cooked perfectly with a beautiful sauce, the fish and the lemon sauce was very flavorful), the Opah and the Prime Rib were outstanding and just melted in our mouths. I also have to mention that the Arugula salad is "killer", what a great combination with the Chevre...add the cheese, it's worth it. All dishes are truly fabulous and we've always had wonderful meals. The bottle wine prices are great too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable Anniversary DinnermanpakDined on 9/14/2014A very nice open air restaurant, located in the Kauai Coast Resort, overlooking tropical gardens and the ocean (setback, so not a beach view). The restaurant itself was not 'fancy', but very comfortable, with lots of seating room. The service was excellent and the food was very good. Try the Sweet Potato raviolis as an appetizer, different and excellent. My wife's Filet Mignon was "melt in her mouth" excellent. My fish plate was very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect food and atmosphere5StarsDined on 9/12/2014Excellent filet. Perfect. Very friendly staff. Great atmosphere .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food. great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014the food was really, really good. the prices were on par with everywhere else in the neighborhood, even a little cheaper than some, but the food was head and shoulders above the rest. also, the staff were really knowledgeable and attentive without being obnoxious. really great experience overall. highly recommended.Special Features:
- Very SpecialVVWDAWVIPDined on 9/11/2014We eat here every year, and it never disappoints. The food is very good and so is the service. Our server, Sandra, was very friendly and efficient, and she even new all of the ingredients for the marinade on one of the entrees when we asked about it. All four of us had fish entrees that were superbly prepared. We also appreciate the fact that the dinners include a salad or soup and usually has a side item with it too. Even with an Open Table reservation, they sometimes run a little late, but you can enjoy the flowers on the grounds behind the restaurant or live music in the lounge while you are waiting.Special Features:
- Except for ...GandGDined on 9/10/2014Kind of a creepy waiter, we have no complaints. We had fish dishes perfectly prepared and our entrees came w/ salad or soup. With a $30 price tag, it can't be beat for a white tablecloth dinner here on Kauai. Now about the waiter, he was pleasant enough but would hover over our table before addressing us and then made our comments. Maybe he just had too much fun in the sun that day. Anyway, it was kind of a turn off. The restaurant has a well-chosen wine by the glass offering, which is great if you're coming from Princeville, Lihue or PoipuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.