520 Aleka Loop
Kapaa, HI 96746Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://hukilaukauai.com/
- Phone: (808) 822-0600
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ron Miller
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Visit our website for information on our private dining space.
- Entertainment: Tuesday-Sunday from 6-9pm enjoy live music in the bar and dining room.
A word from Hukilau Lanai
Beautiful views of the romantic torchlit landscaped grounds of the Kauai Coast Resort and the blue Pacific Ocean are yours at Hukilau Lanai. Hukilau Lanai has indoor and outdoor seating, Kauai Fresh Cuisine, a special wine list of "20 wines for $20-something", a full bar, seating in the bar as well as on the lanai with gentle tropical breezes. Hukilau is known for its fine food and service. Fresh Island produce, fish fresh from the Pacific and Hawaiian chocolate are signatures that define the menu along with old favorites. Everybody loves the Hukilau...Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Hukilau Lanai - Best Restaurants in Kapaa ›
Hukilau Lanai reviews from OpenTable diners
180 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (131)special occasion (116)fit for foodies (110)romantic (97)scenic view (84)neighborhood gem (61)notable wine list (42)good for groups (34)hot spot (17)kid-friendly (16)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (4)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (3)Show More
- A Must on KauaisunflowerVIPDined on 11/20/2014If you are going to dine out only once while on Kauau, you must go to Hukulau Lanai. The food, service, atmosphere are all wonderful and the prices are reasonable. Local fresh seafood and other products are all delicious . Bypu can't go wrong!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!HalmerDined on 11/19/2014Enjoyed our experience with them! Reservations recommended as a very busy restaurant. We were seated on time and had a great waiter who assisted with questions about the menu and explained things very well. Food well presented and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and server was awesome!!!Mmh18Dined on 11/18/2014This was my first time going to hukilau and I was very impressed. Food was awesome and our server was very attentive and very patient with our party! Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary HIT!!!kiwai05Dined on 11/16/2014Celebrated my one year marriage anniversary at the Hukilau and man was it good! We ordered 4 different kinds of appetizers and prime rib for our main coarse. Everything tasted delicious. We topped it of with the warm chocolate cake that was divine. Our waitress was awesome so kind and food was quick. I recommend to make a reservation if dining because they are very busy even on a Sunday night which we went on. Looking forward to my next trip to the hukilau lanai.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best restaurants on KauaiTravellingDutchieDined on 11/16/2014This was our second visit to the restaurant, and it didn't disappoint again. It's a great place for food and atmosphere, and you better make a reservation to get in with their short opening hours. Will definitely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a disappointmentJeanDined on 11/16/2014the Hukilau Lani is consistently delicious. The staff is friendly and our favorite waiter is like seeing an old friend. Its' difficult to try new things on the menu because our favorites are so ingrained. Everything is special from the focaccia bread, the assortment of salads, the entree' and amazing desserts. Also, the best martini on the Island. Nestled in the beautiful surrounding gardens it is our favorite restaurant on the entire island!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still our favorite on Kaua'i!emtorgDined on 11/13/2014Hukilau is still our favorite restaurant on Kaua'i. Best service, food, atmosphere and location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great OnoOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/13/2014I love to eat fish and really love Ono however if a restaurant over cooks Ono it dries out and is not very enjoyable. This restaurant has the best Ono dish I have ever eaten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten-free? Yessiree.GoodEatsDined on 11/9/2014We love Hukilau Lanai and this time got to experience it through the eyes (palate?) of a foodie friend who eats a 100% gluten-free diet. She found lots of choices to fit her dietary needs and the wait staff were well versed in what did and didn't contain gluten. I loved the seafood chowder, and am delighted that candied ahi has become a regular offering on the appetizer menu. The BBQ ribs and pork tenderloin were also big hits at our table. Already looking forward to next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So glad we came here!NomnomtravelDined on 11/9/2014Let me start out with that we are tourists and came to visit Kauai for our anniversary. We stayed on the north shore and everything was so expensive, small, and the service was flat. We wanted to check out the other side of the island, and this place had great reviewed and man did it live up to them!! The food was AMAZING. We had the poke (pronounced poke-eh) nachos, chilled tomato and pinnacle gazpacho, mixed seafood grill, and the royal medallions. So freaking good!!! We also ordered the warm chocolate cake (a lava cake) and they warn you it takes 20 minutes but it was more like 12, and it is worth the wait. Do yourself a favor and stop by here during your trip! Make it your last night and end the trip on a high note!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhenomenalMichaelDined on 11/8/2014Probably one of the best seafood meals I've ever had. Appetizers were creative and delicious, and the mixed seafood grill was sensational. Terrific service too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab dinnerYohanneDined on 11/6/2014My second time here. Prime Rib and curried lobster bisque to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hukilau Lanai dinnereagereaterDined on 11/2/2014The staff was very attentive and accommodating. We reserved for 3 people and when one more wanted to join us it was not a problem. We have eaten there before and this was the first time we ordered lamb. unfortunately it was not tender. Everything else was delicious Next time we will stick with fish or steak which has always been outstanding.Special Features:
- Nothing specialMeredithVIPDined on 11/2/2014This restaurant was just ok. Our service was great! The food was just average though. I had ordered the Mahi but it tasted like it was just boiled or steamed, there was no sauce or anything on it. It was really bland. The pasta it came with was good. I like that the entrees come with a soup or salad and the arugula salad was ok, nothing special again. I do have to say that our server did a great job and the view was nice and relaxing. Not really of the ocean but the outside was nice.
- Consistently GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/30/2014Every time I come to Hukilau, I have a good experience. The seasoned servers are always spot on with their knowledge and timing and the cuisine is perfectly flavored as well as presented. The only thing that I'd change is with the atmosphere. It sits on a covered lanai outdoors and most times, it's a beautiful setting. On this particular evening, the trade winds were blowing and although there were 'tent walls' that were helping protect us, it ended up being a bit chilly. I would enclose the restaurant and have the option to open the doors/windows.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently greatguzTXVIPDined on 10/30/2014Every time we are in Kauai we try to include Hukilau Lanai and it didn't disappoint again. Seafood is excellent,but don't count out the meat entrees. I had the pork Marsala and it was excellent. Consistently one of the best restaurants on Kauai. Do try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hungrycathungrycatVIPDined on 10/29/2014After a pleasant experience during our last trip to Kauai we decided to see if we could repeat our great dinner. Boy are we glad we did. My wife, who is not easily pleased, said her Opah was the best fish dish she has ever had. She was still commenting about how good it was the next day. My Ono was equally satisfying. The The fine dinner was matched by friendly and attentive service. Truly a memorable eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/28/2014Need to fine tune their reservation process. Although they did make it up to us in the end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit & Miss.....missed this timeRuthieDined on 10/26/2014Celebrated a birthday. Macadamia Nut crusted chicken delicious and very tender with just right hint of curry. Kids pasta very dry. Alfredo cheese not melted and creamy, so my son returned a full plate & waiter didn't take notice. Choc cake dry, usually done perfectly. Didn't see the waiter after order was taken & bill was brought to table. Very disappointed this visit. Nice touch of truffles for the Birthday Girl.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingNorCalDined on 10/24/2014Great food, Greareat service, Great time!! We were here two years ago for Birthday celebrations and came back for the same great experience nad one again we were not disappointed. We will be back again!Special Features:
- ErinDined on 10/19/2014Overall, the restaurant was good. We enjoyed our drinks, appetizer, and meal. It was nice that the waiter was attentive, but at times it seemed like we were being hurried through the dinner. I would visit Hukilau Lanai again.
- Birthday CelebrationmrflowersDined on 10/18/2014The food, as always, was delicious. We started with Adams Poke Nachos and each had a different entre. Adam gave us a complimentary slice of peanut butter Pie. OMG! wonderful. We also had the Petite Sarah wine by the glass. and cosmopolitans made with mandarin vodka. WonderfulSpecial Features:
- Excellent SeafoodTravelerDined on 10/17/2014Visited the Hukilau twice during our trip and both times both the food and the service were great. I had the mixed grill and my wife had the special. Both were delicious. The sauces are flavorful and pair well with the fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Kauai's FinestPanchoDined on 10/17/2014We have been dining here for quite a few years, and are never disappointed. The food is always fresh and beautifully prepared and presented. The staff is attentive. There is not a bad table, although we prefer the lower terrace. The restaurant faces out onto a very large courtyard lined with tiki torches, with the Pacific at the far distant end. It is a wonderful area for strolling along the beach walkway following dinner. The fried calamari makes a great starter; the Wally salad is our favorite, and any entree is a good choice. It is a quiet, romantic spot, and also a good choice for families celebrating a special occasion.Special Features:
- Great place, highly recommendMagical10Dined on 10/15/2014We had a recommendation for a friend to visit this restaurant while we were vacationing on the island. While on the trip we had numerous people tell us it was a great place to go. We shared the filet mignon and the seafood mixed grill. They did not disappoint. The food was great and our server was very attentive. We highly recommend the Hukilau Lanai to anyone who is on the island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Food on KauaiJamieEDined on 10/14/2014We went to Hukilau Lanai based on Trip Advisor reviews. It was for our anniversary dinner while vacationing on the island. It was by far the best meal that we had during our 10 days on Oahu and Kauai. The lobster bisque was exquisite, wally & caesar salads both yummy, Hukilau fish dish was amazing and the chocolate cake was heaven. Server (Ryan) was outstanding. Money well spent.Special Features:
- OverratedVirginieDined on 10/12/2014Overal bad experience. The restaurant is dated. The main dishes were tasteless, the fishes were all overcooked. Service is ok. I would'nt recommend it and it's hard to understand why this restaurant is so well rated.
- okHORRIBLEDined on 10/12/2014it was ok. the mac nut chicken was the best. it was hot and there is no ac so go prepared. the desert was horrible. we got 2 appetizers 5 entrees and 3 desserts. the poke nachos and squash raviolis were great. had mac nut chicken, prime rib, 2 ahi dinners and a maui maui dinner. the mac nut was the best the others were pretty bland. had the lava cake, chocolate mousse, creme brûlée and all were horrible. the lava cake was not sweet at all. definitely could work on there desserts.Special Features:
- Great anniversary placefactastic4dineDined on 10/12/2014I had dinner with my wife here for our 1st anniversary. The food was fantastic and the server's recommendation on drink was also great. My wife really enjoyed it. Also, they didn't forget my comment that I made when I reserve via this opentable, and gave us special gift when we leave after dinner.Special Features:
- Lanai DiningOregondinerDined on 10/10/2014My husband and I enjoyed our dinner here and appreciated the attentive service! It's nice that the dinners all come with a choice of one of their 4 salads or soup. We requested lanai seating via Open Table and they had our table waiting. Must order one of their specialty drinks! There was a sudden downpour and 4-5 waiters immediately brought down the awning flaps to keep diners dry (it looked quite orchestrated)! Anyway, fabulous food and nice atmosphere. We ended our meal with dessert and coffee and the total bill was $87! A nice surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crowded, but excellent locationEdCoDined on 10/10/2014Very popular with locals, so expect 90-min wait if no reservations (but free WiFi). For max awesome, ask for makai-side table around time of full moon.Special Features:
- Great setting;so-so foodSharonSDined on 10/9/2014Service was a bit uneven with soup and salad arriving half way through our appetizer. Waitress took our wine order and disappeared for 10 min..Food just OK. My 'mixed grill' - shrimp with two grilled seafood choices was 2/3 good - one piece of fish was very dry and sauce was overly sweet.Special Features:
- Fantastic FishhawaiianheavenDined on 10/8/2014The fish was prepared in a custom way just as I requested. Tasted fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just wow!chasDined on 10/5/2014This was one of the best dining places I have ever been + over looking the grounds over a glass of wine was especially nice. Service was great, albeit slow at times, but who cared with setting. We both had fish dishes cooked superbly. Finished off with crème brulee, hmmmm.Special Features:
- Delicious808diningDined on 10/4/2014The food was great! Service was excellent. The menu selections was excellent. There was menu items for everyone. Everything was great other then finding parking. Did I mention the food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful locationgopack4Dined on 10/4/2014Beautiful location in Kapaa. Service, food, and prices all 5**.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last Dinner In ParadisePwsjDined on 10/4/2014We were leaving Kauai in the morning so we had one last good meal out. This was well worth it. Two peole had the Macadamia Nut Chicken and raved about it for a day. I had the Mixed seafood grill and the it was awesome, especially the pineapple sauce. We return to Kauai once a year and we will come earlier in our visit next time. Well worth it.Special Features:
- Just okjessluvsfoodDined on 10/1/2014This was the fancy dinner we were most excited about and it turned out to be our least favorite. Even sitting on the lanai felt very much like dining at a standard hotel. The fish was good but not great. The service was informative but not fantastic. The mixed drinks were mediocre.Special Features:
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/30/2014We had the five course food and wine paints and it was very good. Prices were moderate. Service was friendly and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AtmospherefoodmonsterDined on 9/27/2014Ocean view and Filet Mignon are a perfect match. Friendly staff. A+Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.