Hugo's Frog Bar & Fish House - Chicago
1024 North Rush
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Hugo's Frog Bar & Fish House - Chicago
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.hugosfrogbar.com/
- Phone: (312) 640-0999
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00am - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Hugo's Frog Bar & Fish House - Chicago
After years of searching far and wide for a location to open the follow-up restaurant to the highly successful Gibsons Bar & Steakhouse, owners Hugo Ralli and Steve Lombardo found what they were looking for right under their noses. In February of 1997 they launched the seafood companion to the Chicago legend they had created with Gibsons and named it Hugo's Frog Bar & Fish House. The restaurant is dedicated to the same principles as its predecessor, unbelievable portions, value and quality coupled with memorable service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Hugo's Frog Bar & Fish House - Chicago - Best Restaurants in Gold Coast / Streeterville ›
Hugo's Frog Bar & Fish House - Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
309 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
special occasion (149)fit for foodies (140)good for groups (119)hot spot (115)neighborhood gem (109)vibrant bar scene (93)notable wine list (82)great for outdoor dining (56)romantic (48)late-night find (40)great for lunch (23)scenic view (14)kid-friendly (13)great for brunch (7)Show More
- Firstmate1Dined on 11/20/2014We have been going to Hugo's for years on our visits to chicago. This is a wonderful restaurant! We have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best for seafood.steelbillDined on 11/16/2014Great staff and wonderful knowledge service. Tables are a little close together but there are still a few tables for that romantic dinner. Now the food: Flown in fresh daily and absolutely beautiful. The best thing is that the fish is expertly prepared. The Ora King salmon prepared medium rare is light, moist and so buttery that it almosts melts in your mouth. The Chilean Sea Bass was also wonderful and don't forget the specialty of the house; frog legs, sauteed in butter and almost addictive. The portions are generous from the appetizers to the desserts, seeming getting larger with each course. The overall experience here is that of a seafood steak house which also serves a few selection from Gibson's Steak house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014As soon as we arrived we were seated. The server was prompt and very informative. The food was well prepared and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't miss this fish restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/14/2014The whitefish and walleye were two of the best fish dishes we have had in years. The fish were true Midwest and the atmosphere was true ChicagoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MUST HAVE RESERVATIONSaeatsDined on 11/8/2014Beautiful. Wonderful. Must have reservations, and TOTALLY worth the wait!Special Features:
- as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014Excellent food, service and a very beautiful place to eatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hugos is a findTravelersDined on 11/7/2014So far hugos was the best we have eaten in chicago. Waiter was great as well as support staff. Food was superb. Therefore be sure to make a reservation in advance !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tried and TrueSandiVIPDined on 11/7/2014Aside from the wait ... be sure to make a reservation ... everything was just fine. Fortunately we were given a cute corner table, so the noise evel was acceptable. We ate late so didn't want a huge meal and were able to find many items to share ... our favorite way to dine. Good selection overall ... and everything was great. But be sure to review your check, both at the restaurant and when you get your bill. No problem so far this time, but last visit we found a discrepancy (to their favor) ... tho they fixed it when we contacted them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Sea Bass EverFarndogVIPDined on 11/7/2014All food was great - Sea Bass and banana cake was awesome!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Margarets1030Dined on 11/7/2014Especially the food with service make this a super place. I am recovering from a fall and it made me forget the pain. I will revisit this week.Special Features:
- A favorite of ours!!ThreeDogsDined on 11/6/2014Travel to Chicago (our favorite big city) once or twice a year. Hugo's is a standard stop. Great energy, awesome food, fun and the service is always over the top. Oh, and if we have time, we go to Hugo's twice per trip! Doesn't get better than that!Special Features:
- Always a treatJoAlVIPDined on 11/5/2014We are in Chicago every year in November for an annual conference and Hugo's has become a tradition for us and a friend to visit the first night of our stay. This year, cute (and patient) Anastasia waited on us. She was an absolute doll and great waitress. Thank you for another great experience!Special Features:
- Our latest meal at Hugo'shate2cookDined on 11/5/2014As usual, it was very noisy, the food OK, and the service a bit slow -- understandable in view of the crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If You Want Great Food & ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/2/2014The Steaks were cooked to perfection (Tomahawk was unbelievable), the Seafood was fresh and well prepared (Stone Crab was excellent). It was a great place to take a group and relax and enjoy the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hugo's impresses....Foodie787VIPDined on 11/1/2014My wife and I had been to their Naperville location for dessert so when it came time to celebrate Her 30th I decided to surprise her for dinner @ their Chicago location. We were not disappointed. From the moment we walked in till we left it was a relaxed and pleasant experience. Bri took really good care of us and made sure to surprise my wife with a candle topped helping of creme bru le which was delicious along with the Walleye and Swordfish we had earlier for dinner. I'd highly recommend this place to everyone. Definitely worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/1/2014Outstanding food, service, and ambiance. We had a wonderful birthday celebration for my wife.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT AS ALWAYS....JFLORESDined on 10/30/2014We have been there several times......keeps being a great place to visit on every time we stay in Chicago.....you can not loose the chance to have a drink at the piano bar and then have a very tasty dinner.Special Features:
- A REAL GEMgloryDined on 10/29/2014A terrific restaurant for both excellent seafood and steaks with great service and ambiance. Would choose it again on our next trip to Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey & LoudStrigineFoodieDined on 10/27/2014Overall a disappointment, particularly given the expense. Out for dinner with a small group, we eagerly anticipated the promised range of fresh seafood and amazing steaks (Hugo's shares a kitchen with neighboring Gibson's). Shortly after our arrival a large, noisy party descended upon the room, making conversation very difficult even at our small table in the corner. Wine list was extensive, but our waiter was not particularly helpful with recommendations. The one steak ordered by our party arrived rare after being ordered medium: although staff quickly took it back to the kitchen, it returned charred on the outside and still quite red in the middle. Prices were quite high, even for downtown Chicago. Unlikely we will return.Special Features:
- Greatest employeesjan8776VIPDined on 10/26/2014Every employee at this restaurant our truly exceptional. Makes dining there a pleasure.Special Features:
- Seafood heavenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Crab legs, Stone crab, Swordfish, Fresh Calamari! Just amazing! Service was great! Location gets very busy as it gets later! Great spot to take your significant other on a date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go to a real steakhouseFelipeVIPDined on 10/24/2014Not sure what the fuss is about this place. The "famous" crab Mac and cheese were more like velveeta and shells with a bit if crab and a bunch of sausage. The tartar was extremely underwhelming, as was the crab and and avocado (be warned, it's bathed in a buttery sauce). The creme brulee had clearly been sitting somewhere for a while before being served, and was cold and lacking crispiness. The crab bisque was the only decent item we had. Also, given their menu prices, their china and glassware could be much much better. At least not reminiscent of a $4 cafeteria.
- Awesome foodCychaaaDined on 10/24/2014Always awesome food with great service! My favorite is sea bass on miso sauce. It is always perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing DinnerRDannDined on 10/24/2014We were attending an art show in downtown Chicago and chose to dine at Hugo's. We requested a booth, and were give the "best" booth in the house. We split the king crab legs and I must say they were "out of this world"! Great job Hugo's. The bread selection that is served with dinner is also delicious. Our waiter was attentive and offered suggestions. We would definitely go back there again.Special Features:
- BarbieVIPDined on 10/20/2014Awesome as usual! Thank you Brant for your excellent service. See you soonSpecial Features:
- DanskenDined on 10/19/2014When paying they could not come to the table with the mashine and went away with the card for a long time, wich is not okSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall1234Dined on 10/19/2014Overall, everything from the service to every aspect of the meal was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014Food and service and service very good, a little pricey but an overall nice experienceSpecial Features:
- DrDesignDined on 10/18/2014For me this is a "must go to" restaurant for Chicago. Our meals (Fish and Meat) were exceptional. The portions were very generous. The Service was outstanding. The prices for the quality were very reasonable. I can't wait to go back on our next trip to Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousShirlyb123Dined on 10/17/2014Fresh, delicious seafood. Prepared and served to perfection. In house salad dressings were a treat. Crab cakes were huge with no fillers. Scallops with corn sauce were awesome. Service was great. Overall a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, OCD service!JOgleDined on 10/16/2014Service so good, bordering on ridiculous. When we accidentally misaligned the tablecloth, 2 servers rushed to assist in adjusting it and kept apologizing (for what?). One plate removed before I chewed my last bite, and every removal followed by sweeping every crumb/pepper flake from the tablecloth. It was worth putting up with, crab bisque was velvety smooth, walleye fresh and perfectly cooked, and crab cakes were as good as my previously unmatched favorites from MARYLAND. Yum! Dessert was the only let-down. The key lime pie had 8 inches of meringue on top, crust tasted like cinnamon, and pie filling wasn't tart enough and didn't taste like fresh limes. That aside, we absolutely would recommend this place, and plan to return.Special Features:
- Superb venue and food!SarahMarcus101014Dined on 10/15/2014Visiting Chicago on our Honeymoon, we booked in here for a special meal - boy we were not disappointed! Excellent service was attentive and helpful, offered ideas but not pushy or in your face. Food was superb, I had a Gibsons steak that was more on the medium side of medium rare but perfectly tender and tasty - everything else was superb, and we thought not outrageously priced compared to similar venues!!Special Features:
- FantasticfoodnutDined on 10/11/2014I've visited Hugo's before and never leave disappointed. The food and the service is amazing. I'd highly recommend the sea bass. It literally melts in mouth. Request it served with the sesame oil/soy mixture they serve w the tuna. Off the wall fantastic!! The dessert portions are ridiculously huge in size but oh so good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOME FIND!LisaJDined on 10/11/2014We were in Chicago for our Anniversary - first time and only short days. We decided on one steakhouse and one seafood restaurant for our 2 planned dinners and Hugo's was nothing short of outstanding! Sea Bass, crab cakes and of course filet! You cannot go wrong here! Make a reservation and enjoy your time here.Special Features:
- Chicago at its BestArjayVIPDined on 10/11/2014We went to Hugo's with my recently married Grandson and his wife as part of our not often enough visit to Chicago. Our first time at Hugo's but it certainly will not be our last. Our server was extraordinary - congenial, totally knowledgible about the menu and excellent in his service. The food was outstanding from start to finish - probably one of the finest if not the finest seafood restaurants that we have visited. I recommend it highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, packed houseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014The seafood was very fresh and did not need sauces to improve the taste. Portions were ample. The soups were very good with a good copy of Bookbinders fish stew. Surprisingly we did not like the frog legs which were sauteed in butter and garlic. Desserts are huge. Seating is crowded with access to some tables through other chairs. Piano player was very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BarbieVIPDined on 10/8/2014Food was amazing as usual! The 1871 oysters were outstanding as were the steaks and superb service provided by John at the bar. Thank you!Special Features:
- Great spotout2dineDined on 10/7/2014Visiting from Miami and we always make it a point to come here. Love the live music/piano. Lively bar area and great food and service. Best seafood and steaks in town....everyone left full and happy. A bit crowded but that adds to the scene and we understand everyone wants to be there.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/4/2014My soup was on the cool side, and I had the broiled lobster, which was a little dried out. Prices are VERY high.Special Features:
- FavoriteTommyDined on 10/3/2014We try to stop in whenever we are in Chicago. We brought friends from Phoenix with us and they loved the experience as much as we do.Special Features: