Hugo's Frog Bar & Fish House - Chicago
1024 North Rush
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Hugo's Frog Bar & Fish House - Chicago
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.hugosfrogbar.com/
- Phone: 3126400999
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00am - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Hugo's Frog Bar & Fish House - Chicago
After years of searching far and wide for a location to open the follow-up restaurant to the highly successful Gibsons Bar & Steakhouse, owners Hugo Ralli and Steve Lombardo found what they were looking for right under their noses. In February of 1997 they launched the seafood companion to the Chicago legend they had created with Gibsons and named it Hugo's Frog Bar & Fish House. The restaurant is dedicated to the same principles as its predecessor, unbelievable portions, value and quality coupled with memorable service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Hugo's Frog Bar & Fish House - Chicago - Best Restaurants in Gold Coast / Streeterville ›
Hugo's Frog Bar & Fish House - Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
311 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
special occasion (158)fit for foodies (138)neighborhood gem (120)hot spot (117)good for groups (100)vibrant bar scene (91)notable wine list (83)great for outdoor dining (68)romantic (51)late-night find (43)great for lunch (25)scenic view (20)kid-friendly (14)great for brunch (5)Show More
- Pricey & LoudStrigineFoodieDined on 10/27/2014Overall a disappointment, particularly given the expense. Out for dinner with a small group, we eagerly anticipated the promised range of fresh seafood and amazing steaks (Hugo's shares a kitchen with neighboring Gibson's). Shortly after our arrival a large, noisy party descended upon the room, making conversation very difficult even at our small table in the corner. Wine list was extensive, but our waiter was not particularly helpful with recommendations. The one steak ordered by our party arrived rare after being ordered medium: although staff quickly took it back to the kitchen, it returned charred on the outside and still quite red in the middle. Prices were quite high, even for downtown Chicago. Unlikely we will return.Special Features:
- Greatest employeesjan8776VIPDined on 10/26/2014Every employee at this restaurant our truly exceptional. Makes dining there a pleasure.Special Features:
- Seafood heavenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Crab legs, Stone crab, Swordfish, Fresh Calamari! Just amazing! Service was great! Location gets very busy as it gets later! Great spot to take your significant other on a date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go to a real steakhouseFelipeVIPDined on 10/24/2014Not sure what the fuss is about this place. The "famous" crab Mac and cheese were more like velveeta and shells with a bit if crab and a bunch of sausage. The tartar was extremely underwhelming, as was the crab and and avocado (be warned, it's bathed in a buttery sauce). The creme brulee had clearly been sitting somewhere for a while before being served, and was cold and lacking crispiness. The crab bisque was the only decent item we had. Also, given their menu prices, their china and glassware could be much much better. At least not reminiscent of a $4 cafeteria.
- Awesome foodCychaaaDined on 10/24/2014Always awesome food with great service! My favorite is sea bass on miso sauce. It is always perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing DinnerRDannDined on 10/24/2014We were attending an art show in downtown Chicago and chose to dine at Hugo's. We requested a booth, and were give the "best" booth in the house. We split the king crab legs and I must say they were "out of this world"! Great job Hugo's. The bread selection that is served with dinner is also delicious. Our waiter was attentive and offered suggestions. We would definitely go back there again.Special Features:
- BarbieVIPDined on 10/20/2014Awesome as usual! Thank you Brant for your excellent service. See you soonSpecial Features:
- DanskenDined on 10/19/2014When paying they could not come to the table with the mashine and went away with the card for a long time, wich is not okSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall1234Dined on 10/19/2014Overall, everything from the service to every aspect of the meal was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014Food and service and service very good, a little pricey but an overall nice experienceSpecial Features:
- DrDesignDined on 10/18/2014For me this is a "must go to" restaurant for Chicago. Our meals (Fish and Meat) were exceptional. The portions were very generous. The Service was outstanding. The prices for the quality were very reasonable. I can't wait to go back on our next trip to Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousShirlyb123Dined on 10/17/2014Fresh, delicious seafood. Prepared and served to perfection. In house salad dressings were a treat. Crab cakes were huge with no fillers. Scallops with corn sauce were awesome. Service was great. Overall a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, OCD service!JOgleDined on 10/16/2014Service so good, bordering on ridiculous. When we accidentally misaligned the tablecloth, 2 servers rushed to assist in adjusting it and kept apologizing (for what?). One plate removed before I chewed my last bite, and every removal followed by sweeping every crumb/pepper flake from the tablecloth. It was worth putting up with, crab bisque was velvety smooth, walleye fresh and perfectly cooked, and crab cakes were as good as my previously unmatched favorites from MARYLAND. Yum! Dessert was the only let-down. The key lime pie had 8 inches of meringue on top, crust tasted like cinnamon, and pie filling wasn't tart enough and didn't taste like fresh limes. That aside, we absolutely would recommend this place, and plan to return.Special Features:
- Superb venue and food!SarahMarcus101014Dined on 10/15/2014Visiting Chicago on our Honeymoon, we booked in here for a special meal - boy we were not disappointed! Excellent service was attentive and helpful, offered ideas but not pushy or in your face. Food was superb, I had a Gibsons steak that was more on the medium side of medium rare but perfectly tender and tasty - everything else was superb, and we thought not outrageously priced compared to similar venues!!Special Features:
- FantasticfoodnutDined on 10/11/2014I've visited Hugo's before and never leave disappointed. The food and the service is amazing. I'd highly recommend the sea bass. It literally melts in mouth. Request it served with the sesame oil/soy mixture they serve w the tuna. Off the wall fantastic!! The dessert portions are ridiculously huge in size but oh so good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOME FIND!LisaJDined on 10/11/2014We were in Chicago for our Anniversary - first time and only short days. We decided on one steakhouse and one seafood restaurant for our 2 planned dinners and Hugo's was nothing short of outstanding! Sea Bass, crab cakes and of course filet! You cannot go wrong here! Make a reservation and enjoy your time here.Special Features:
- Chicago at its BestArjayVIPDined on 10/11/2014We went to Hugo's with my recently married Grandson and his wife as part of our not often enough visit to Chicago. Our first time at Hugo's but it certainly will not be our last. Our server was extraordinary - congenial, totally knowledgible about the menu and excellent in his service. The food was outstanding from start to finish - probably one of the finest if not the finest seafood restaurants that we have visited. I recommend it highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, packed houseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014The seafood was very fresh and did not need sauces to improve the taste. Portions were ample. The soups were very good with a good copy of Bookbinders fish stew. Surprisingly we did not like the frog legs which were sauteed in butter and garlic. Desserts are huge. Seating is crowded with access to some tables through other chairs. Piano player was very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BarbieVIPDined on 10/8/2014Food was amazing as usual! The 1871 oysters were outstanding as were the steaks and superb service provided by John at the bar. Thank you!Special Features:
- Great spotout2dineDined on 10/7/2014Visiting from Miami and we always make it a point to come here. Love the live music/piano. Lively bar area and great food and service. Best seafood and steaks in town....everyone left full and happy. A bit crowded but that adds to the scene and we understand everyone wants to be there.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/4/2014My soup was on the cool side, and I had the broiled lobster, which was a little dried out. Prices are VERY high.Special Features:
- FavoriteTommyDined on 10/3/2014We try to stop in whenever we are in Chicago. We brought friends from Phoenix with us and they loved the experience as much as we do.Special Features:
- Always GreatKennethVIPDined on 10/2/2014The food is always great and the service is fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great crab cakes!ChitowngirlVIPDined on 10/1/2014I found the crab cakes as good or even better than cakes I had out in Maryland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will not returnOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/30/2014Overpriced charred steak, very bad Mahattan and overpriced (15)Special Features:
- TrishDined on 9/28/2014A great place with great food. We ate twice during our stay and enjoyed every minute and mouthfull! Our waiters were informative, personalble and extremely attentive to all our needs.Special Features:
- 1st time at Hugo's but not the lastOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2014My family and I just had the experience of dining at Hugo's and had an outstanding meal. I've been telling friends about the King Crab Leg we shared as an appetizer that was really special. Tilting the scale at $72 for one leg was worth every cent! The rest of the meal was fantastic. To top it all off the table next to us gave us part of their carrot cake which was enough for the 5 of them and the 3 of us. Really cool!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/28/2014Food took an hour before we got our soup. We recently went to Joe's stone crab and it was better all around.Special Features:
- Service slow - food average at bestsodlidDined on 9/27/2014We were seated on time. It took us sitting in our seat ten minutes before anybody bothered to come and take our drink order. It took a long time to get our food, which isn't always bad, except nobody ever came back to check on us and I certainly could have used another beer. I was dry for twenty minutes. Finally when food came I was asked if I wanted another drink. By that time I was used to drinking only water (by the way, the water-fillers etc. did a great job) and gave up on any more beers. We were done with dinner for 20 minutes before we saw our waiter again and could ask for our bill. Never going back - too many other options in the area. - by the way, trout was below average.
- An awesome experience all aroundModiners2Dined on 9/27/2014My wife and I enjoyed a wonderful evening of wine and food. We started off with a fabulous crab cake that was big on flavor and size, and easy to share, then we shared a cup of clam chowder and cup of lobster bisque that were amazing, and topped of the meal by sharing one pound of crab legs, and an 8 oz lobster tail. All of this in wonderful surroundings and topped off with great, friendly, knowledgeable staff. A must try for anyone in ChicagoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great choiceGBgirlDined on 9/25/2014We hadn't been to Hugo's in a while so decided to return while in town for a conference and it was as good as we remembered. Crab cakes are a must...and I don't normally like crab cakes! So much crab meat, so delicious. Our wait staff and bartenders were great as usual, making it a fun night.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerBirthday44Dined on 9/23/2014Great ambiance, but noisey! We were first going to be seated in a corner booth that would have been way too tight, but our hostess graciously put us in another booth that was more open and comfortable. Delicious food and great service! I was very pleased with our menu choices and the entire evening. Our waiter, Frank M made a great recommendation for my entree because I couldn't decide between 2 items. We were in no rush and didn't feel rushed by the wait staff and it didn't take long to receive our food from the time we ordered. Frank made sure I received a birthday treat of ice cream. We were actually way too full to order dessert. Great dining experience! I would recommend to others!Special Features:
- Hugo's Frog Bar is hoppinTopher33Dined on 9/23/2014High energy hot spot, restaurant has great ambiance that makes you feel like it is the place to be. Broad fish menu plus Gibson steak menu means there is something for everyone. Unique twists on common dishes makes this a unique dining service. The service is great, the staff very personable. A definite must when you are in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Spot in Tourist-y NeighborhoodJackieVIPDined on 9/23/2014Enjoyed the outdoor seating and prompt service. The food came in large portions, and the wine list was solid.Special Features:
- Love Hugo's Frog BarJeanneDined on 9/23/2014We had the best server ever! Mike (a/k/a Mikey, Mikey-O) was wonderful, so attentive, and made our night even more enjoyable. Food was great; it always is. The salmon was perfect!Special Features:
- Mediocre ServiceJudgieDined on 9/21/2014Atmosphere was great. Waiter was less than enthusiastic in describing the menu. He did not make you feel like there was anything special about the menu. His attitude conveyed the thought - just order its all the same. I was disappointed.Special Features:
- ExcellentBarbieDined on 9/19/2014I go to Hugo's every time I'm in town and it is always great!Special Features:
- RobertonthegoRobertonthegoDined on 9/19/2014Outstanding taste and cooking of fish. Definitely a must go in Chicago, but reservation is essential for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vacation night out with familyBeefy59Dined on 9/18/2014We visit downtown once a year while on vacation and try a different restaurant ever year. We were not disappointed with this years selection in Hugo's. The ladies started with a Martini that were outstanding. It had been a few years since I tried frog legs, they were fall off the bone tender. Soup / Salad were OK, Lobster, Crab Legs, Sea Bass and Swordfish were prepared perfectly. All of the seafood was very fresh with melt in mouth with flavor. The bone in ribeye, (WR Special) was tender with great flavor, might have been a little off of the advertised 22 oz. All in all we will return for another night out.Special Features:
- Not really worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/17/2014Hugo's is okay but other fish houses at the same level are better. The space is unpleasantly crowded and the food, while good, is not exceptional. The very best thing we had was the cherry pie; that would be worth a late-night visit.Special Features: