Hugo's Frog Bar & Chop House - Des Plaines
3000 S. River Rd
Des Plaines, IL 60018Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Hugo's Frog Bar & Chop House - Des Plaines
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hugosfrogbar.com/
- Phone: 8477685200
- Payment Options: Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Hugo's Frog Bar & Chop House - Des Plaines
Pristine seafood & prime steaks. The freshest and best available seafood is delivered twice daily to complement our world famous Gibsons Bar & Steakhouse steaks. Crab cakes, frog legs, and new favorites highlight our new menu. Due to the restaurant being located within the Rivers casino, YOU MUST BE 21 TO ENTER.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Hugo's Frog Bar & Chop House - Des Plaines - Best Restaurants in Des Plaines ›
Hugo's Frog Bar & Chop House - Des Plaines reviews from OpenTable diners
107 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (60)fit for foodies (33)good for groups (31)notable wine list (28)vibrant bar scene (25)romantic (22)hot spot (19)late-night find (17)neighborhood gem (12)great for lunch (12)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Love Hugo's.NancyzeDined on 10/20/2014I love Hugo's. It's pricey but it's a great place for special occasions.Special Features:
- Worth the priceYltfoodyDined on 10/17/2014It's expensive but everything is so good! We were celebrating our anniversary and the chef sent us off the menu items. Great touch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatMargolisDined on 10/16/2014Eugene served us. His skills were, and always are, perfection. The portions are so huge, it's criminal. Always a doggie bag for the next day's lunch. Hugo's lobster is the best I've ever had, and I've eaten my fair share over the years. If I had to complain it would be that a couple of the huge asparagus stalks were a bit woody. They did shave them at the bottom, but they would have been better had they cut them a wee bit shorter. No big deal. As we walked out toward the casino, we noticed a pianist in Hugo's bar. That's a nice touch. He was quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date nightGoodmanDined on 10/11/2014Great food and ambiance. Will go back for the seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceleebles73VIPDined on 10/7/2014On a business trip, I was a solo diner, but I wasn't treated like one. I got the same level of attention from service that the 5-top next to me received. My server did not make me feel "left out". This is a chop house, but I wasn't in the mood for steak. Instead I enjoyed their amazing sweet chili calamari (tender, delicious, cooked perfectly) as a starter and the seared tuna chopped salad (light, refreshing and satisfying) as my entree. My only critique was I would have liked the tuna slices to be slightly thicker. The ultra thin slices, which would be perfect for sashimi or sushi, just get lost in the pile of greens. Next time I'm visiting, I will definitely return to try one of their amazing-looking steaks.I would recommend this to a friend.
- I can always count on HugosSck23Dined on 9/29/2014I had to book a last minute business dinner for six people and Hugo's met and exceeded my expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Food was very good and service was great. Very expensive, though. I am not certain that the food was THAT good.Special Features:
- Great Service!woosmileyVIPDined on 9/25/2014From the host to our wait staffs, professional and attentive service.Special Features:
- Great DinnerSchishDined on 9/20/2014Great Food, Great Service, Will definitely go backSpecial Features:
- Absolutely Amazing!!LuvthisplaceDined on 9/19/2014Hugo's is my husband and My favorite steak house. We come here for our Birthday's, Anniversary's, or just because. The food is out of this world, the portions are huge, and the staff is so friendly, and accompanying. I always recommend Hugo's to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak melted in your mouth!!!DeniDined on 9/19/2014We were at Hugo's for our wedding anniversary. The steak was amazing and well worth the price. The salad was nothing special. Next time we will try one of the vegetable selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 40th birthday celebratione12otikaDined on 9/19/2014I hosted a 40th birthday party here for myself and my husband and 10 guest. The waitstaff was great the food was delicious! I would come back again. But there was one negative thing that bother me: The table cleaning crew kinda took my food and some of our friend before we were done with the food - they didn't ask if they may take our plates before taking it.Special Features:
- FANTASTICOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/19/2014The waiter was great, and attentive. The food was delicious, melted in the mouth, cooked to perfection. The chef should be complimented….(which I told the waiter to do)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and foodAndiamoDined on 9/18/2014Brought a group of 9 in for dinner. Service from our waiter, Scott, was fantastic. Enjoyed the calamari, tuna tartar, mussels and crabmeat Avacado. Portions are large. Steak was cooked exactly to my liking. Very extensive wine list. Kudos!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Frog does not let you down!SephardicDined on 9/15/2014Awesome place great staff and most importantly great steak but watch the desserts great but hugeSpecial Features:
- Great Way to Celebrate a Birthday!pattyDined on 9/13/2014I made a note that we were celebrating a birthday when I made the reservation. The waiter obviously saw the note and even asked "who's having a birthday today?" In the end, the waiter completely forgot about it, so no singing , etc. I mentioned it and the manager did comp a dessert. That was fine, but still a bit disappointing.
- Hugo's Frog Bar-DesPlaines1AntojitoDined on 9/13/2014We were a party of three celebrating a birthday. The setting was just the right balance of high end service and quality without being stuffy. The staff was attentive without intruding. They were all friendly yet professional. The blue cheese dressing was outstanding. My salmon was perfectly prepared-fork tender. In fact, we all agreed we will returning again for both the food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentChrisDined on 9/12/2014Excellent service, great steaks. Downtown atmosphere without the travelSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Order steak not fishReviewbykerDined on 9/6/2014Very loud service was not up to par with prices prices are crazy high we're talking about $40 for your main court you got a order size in addition to that Very very loudSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 👍 love mgr Eric and waiter MarcUnfortunateVIPDined on 9/5/2014Awesome food! Vibrant scene and hospitality. The service was impeccable and food tastefully cookedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great atmosphereLedZep1VIPDined on 9/5/2014Very lively place. Very good fish and crab legs but steak seemed a bit dry even though asked medium rare bone in filet. Convinced my dirty martini was watered down in the bar area. Hopefully this is not a common occurance. Would still go back but would stick with wine and fish. Waiter Mark was great!I would recommend this to a friend.
- I know it is inside a casino...PaigeDined on 8/31/2014Hugo's has a good menu with variety and the food quality was very good. It is a bit high on the price, but the great service made it worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent everythingchicocherylDined on 8/29/2014My husband and I love the calamari. It is our favorite. The food and service here is always great we always know we will have a nice meal here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Large portionsPapagDined on 8/17/2014Our waitress was great; friendly, knowledgable and came back frequently to check on us. Food was very good and portions were large!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SlbrannickDined on 8/17/2014We had a family lunch celebrating two family birthdays.The wait staff was terrific,attentive but not over the top.The brought out a huge slice of cake for everyone to share on the house...great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten friendly Surf and TurfSurfnTurferVIPDined on 8/15/2014Outstanding service from knowledgeable staff. Lot of option for appetizers and entrees. While no formal gluten free menu, the waitress knew in detail the generous number of gluten free menus. Steaks were cooked to perfection. The planked whitefish was a little too salty. Same steaks as Gibson's, with more seafood optionSpecial Features:
- Happy AnniversaryLynn94Dined on 8/14/2014My husband and I celebrated 20 years of bliss at your establishment. I fully enjoyed the food and the company.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceFarndogVIPDined on 8/13/2014Delicious Gibson's steaks and raisin bread. Service was attentive, but not over-bearing. Delicious food - steaks, sides, and warm raisin bread. Deserts are HUGE - 5 guys couldn't finish one of them....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delishmmmmDined on 8/13/2014The white fish was the best I've ever had and the crab meat avocado appetizer is amazing.. I definitely would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Below ExpectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014We were surprised at the quality level of the steaks at the price for this restaraunt. For the price, we expected a better steak than what we we served (house special Rib-eye and Filet).
- Excellent Food....Nice AtmosphereTomasVIPDined on 8/6/2014Excellent menu selection...and well executed in the kitchen and generous portions, too. A fun environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- squad1Dined on 8/2/2014great food from apps to main course everything was outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good! I'd go back.JMCWDined on 8/1/2014We were a party of 6 and had reservations for a Friday night. I likes that the server asked us to cut into our steaks to see if they were cooked to out liking. My sister enjoyed her fish. We all split a slice banana cake. It was HUGE and very good. It fed 6 of us and we still had half the cake to take home! Calamari appetizer, house salad, and wedge salad were eh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch spotHarryVIPDined on 7/24/2014Centrally located and always a fast lunch when needed great food and great serviceSpecial Features:
- DeliciousUnfortunateVIPDined on 7/23/2014Great food great service always w a smile! Food prepared as requested within the appropriate wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hugo's Frog BarGary1949Dined on 7/22/2014I had a pepper-crusted filet that was absolutely delicious. Another person had the halibut that he said was outstanding. My husband had the bone in sirloin, which was very chewy and hard to cut. He should have sent it back, but he didn't. We also had asparagus and a baked potato that fed all three of us. We had no room for dessert. They are very tempting, did think about bring one home, but pushed that thought out of my head. Love this place for food and service is the BEST!!!Special Features:
- IzzyloVIPDined on 7/17/2014Food is always outstanding! Service is friendly and extremely competent. We are always treated as valued guests from the time we enter the restaurant, throughout the entire dining process until the time we leave.Special Features:
- Going Away DinnerNorthshoredaveVIPDined on 7/17/2014My buddy from the southern suburbs is moving and this is a good place to meet between North Shore and South Burbs. We had a group of 6. We all had meat and it was all good. THe Lobster mac and vheese was a bit spicy. The twice baked was very good. The service was excellent. The waiter gave us a peice of cake for dessert that was huge and delicious. All the meat was done to the correct temperature. I would abolutely go back!Special Features:
- Have had betterDragon81460Dined on 7/11/2014If you simply want to go to Hugo's and have the time, drive to Naperville. For a restaurant located in Rivers Casino (not my first pick either) it was passable. My wife didn't enjoy her fish but could not put her finger on exactly what was wrong with it. My steak was cooked well but overall lacked seasoning. We always have the avocado crab appetizer as it is one of our favorite dishes and even that seemed to be missing something at this location. Will not go out of my way to visit this location again but I am still a fan.Special Features:
- Hugo's at RiversMarsVIPDined on 7/6/2014Worth heading to Rivers Casino just for the opportunity to eat at Hugo's. Food is always great, the service is fabulous - very personable and attentive wait staff, nice wine list - totally one of our favorites. I think it is far better than the Hugo's on Rush Street.Special Features: