Hugo's Frog Bar & Chop House - Des Plaines
3000 S. River Rd
Des Plaines, IL 60018Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Hugo's Frog Bar & Chop House - Des Plaines
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hugosfrogbar.com/
- Phone: 8477685200
- Payment Options: Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Hugo's Frog Bar & Chop House - Des Plaines
Pristine seafood & prime steaks. The freshest and best available seafood is delivered twice daily to complement our world famous Gibsons Bar & Steakhouse steaks. Crab cakes, frog legs, and new favorites highlight our new menu. Due to the restaurant being located within the Rivers casino, YOU MUST BE 21 TO ENTER.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Hugo's Frog Bar & Chop House - Des Plaines - Best Restaurants in Des Plaines ›
Hugo's Frog Bar & Chop House - Des Plaines reviews from OpenTable diners
102 reviews since May 17, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (56)fit for foodies (31)good for groups (30)notable wine list (29)vibrant bar scene (27)romantic (23)hot spot (20)late-night find (15)great for lunch (15)neighborhood gem (9)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- ExcellentChrisDined on 9/12/2014Excellent service, great steaks. Downtown atmosphere without the travelSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Order steak not fishReviewbykerDined on 9/6/2014Very loud service was not up to par with prices prices are crazy high we're talking about $40 for your main court you got a order size in addition to that Very very loudSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 👍 love mgr Eric and waiter MarcUnfortunateVIPDined on 9/5/2014Awesome food! Vibrant scene and hospitality. The service was impeccable and food tastefully cookedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great atmosphereLedZep1VIPDined on 9/5/2014Very lively place. Very good fish and crab legs but steak seemed a bit dry even though asked medium rare bone in filet. Convinced my dirty martini was watered down in the bar area. Hopefully this is not a common occurance. Would still go back but would stick with wine and fish. Waiter Mark was great!I would recommend this to a friend.
- I know it is inside a casino...PaigeDined on 8/31/2014Hugo's has a good menu with variety and the food quality was very good. It is a bit high on the price, but the great service made it worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent everythingchicocherylDined on 8/29/2014My husband and I love the calamari. It is our favorite. The food and service here is always great we always know we will have a nice meal here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Large portionsPapagDined on 8/17/2014Our waitress was great; friendly, knowledgable and came back frequently to check on us. Food was very good and portions were large!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SlbrannickDined on 8/17/2014We had a family lunch celebrating two family birthdays.The wait staff was terrific,attentive but not over the top.The brought out a huge slice of cake for everyone to share on the house...great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten friendly Surf and TurfSurfnTurferVIPDined on 8/15/2014Outstanding service from knowledgeable staff. Lot of option for appetizers and entrees. While no formal gluten free menu, the waitress knew in detail the generous number of gluten free menus. Steaks were cooked to perfection. The planked whitefish was a little too salty. Same steaks as Gibson's, with more seafood optionSpecial Features:
- Happy AnniversaryLynn94Dined on 8/14/2014My husband and I celebrated 20 years of bliss at your establishment. I fully enjoyed the food and the company.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceFarndogVIPDined on 8/13/2014Delicious Gibson's steaks and raisin bread. Service was attentive, but not over-bearing. Delicious food - steaks, sides, and warm raisin bread. Deserts are HUGE - 5 guys couldn't finish one of them....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delishmmmmDined on 8/13/2014The white fish was the best I've ever had and the crab meat avocado appetizer is amazing.. I definitely would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Below ExpectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014We were surprised at the quality level of the steaks at the price for this restaraunt. For the price, we expected a better steak than what we we served (house special Rib-eye and Filet).
- Excellent Food....Nice AtmosphereTomasVIPDined on 8/6/2014Excellent menu selection...and well executed in the kitchen and generous portions, too. A fun environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- squad1Dined on 8/2/2014great food from apps to main course everything was outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good! I'd go back.JMCWDined on 8/1/2014We were a party of 6 and had reservations for a Friday night. I likes that the server asked us to cut into our steaks to see if they were cooked to out liking. My sister enjoyed her fish. We all split a slice banana cake. It was HUGE and very good. It fed 6 of us and we still had half the cake to take home! Calamari appetizer, house salad, and wedge salad were eh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch spotHarryVIPDined on 7/24/2014Centrally located and always a fast lunch when needed great food and great serviceSpecial Features:
- DeliciousUnfortunateVIPDined on 7/23/2014Great food great service always w a smile! Food prepared as requested within the appropriate wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hugo's Frog BarGary1949Dined on 7/22/2014I had a pepper-crusted filet that was absolutely delicious. Another person had the halibut that he said was outstanding. My husband had the bone in sirloin, which was very chewy and hard to cut. He should have sent it back, but he didn't. We also had asparagus and a baked potato that fed all three of us. We had no room for dessert. They are very tempting, did think about bring one home, but pushed that thought out of my head. Love this place for food and service is the BEST!!!Special Features:
- IzzyloVIPDined on 7/17/2014Food is always outstanding! Service is friendly and extremely competent. We are always treated as valued guests from the time we enter the restaurant, throughout the entire dining process until the time we leave.Special Features:
- Going Away DinnerNorthshoredaveVIPDined on 7/17/2014My buddy from the southern suburbs is moving and this is a good place to meet between North Shore and South Burbs. We had a group of 6. We all had meat and it was all good. THe Lobster mac and vheese was a bit spicy. The twice baked was very good. The service was excellent. The waiter gave us a peice of cake for dessert that was huge and delicious. All the meat was done to the correct temperature. I would abolutely go back!Special Features:
- Have had betterDragon81460Dined on 7/11/2014If you simply want to go to Hugo's and have the time, drive to Naperville. For a restaurant located in Rivers Casino (not my first pick either) it was passable. My wife didn't enjoy her fish but could not put her finger on exactly what was wrong with it. My steak was cooked well but overall lacked seasoning. We always have the avocado crab appetizer as it is one of our favorite dishes and even that seemed to be missing something at this location. Will not go out of my way to visit this location again but I am still a fan.Special Features:
- Hugo's at RiversMarsVIPDined on 7/6/2014Worth heading to Rivers Casino just for the opportunity to eat at Hugo's. Food is always great, the service is fabulous - very personable and attentive wait staff, nice wine list - totally one of our favorites. I think it is far better than the Hugo's on Rush Street.Special Features:
- Great customer serviceAna86Dined on 7/4/2014The waiter we had was great. The appetizer was fantastic but, ordering any kind of red meat is very expensive & the taste was simply just okay. I appreciate that the waiter took great care of us for our anniversary & he gave us a Sundae w/ a lit candle which was cute.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALWAYS GREATFoodieVIPDined on 6/28/2014This is one of our favorite spots. We come just the two of us or we bring guests. Consistently good/great food, service, and ambience. Generous portions. Delish desserts. It's in the very front part of Rivers Casino so if you're not a gambler you don't have to get into the gambling scene at all. Do not have any doubts about coming here for lunch or dinner. You will never be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinner for wife at Hugo'sMartoneDined on 6/27/2014Barb wasn't sure where she wanted to go for her birthday dinner. Hugo's is always the standby for an elegant meal. It's close to the house and is in the casino. She never passes on a chance at the slots. The service was first rate. 2 managers came to our table to make sure everything was ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always very goodHarryDavidSamVIPDined on 6/23/2014Dine there with clients regularly, the food and service are alays exceptional.
- 5 star qualityelvis7924Dined on 6/14/2014Had the lobster bisque soup, awesome....Had the pork chops, awesome and the coffee to die for. The waiter was terrific, had a very enjoyable dinner, my husband is still talking about it. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My birthday lunchDenikariDined on 6/13/2014It was my first time here for my birthday, I went with my coworkers. Food was awesome and the service was great.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerDinnerDined on 6/8/2014Food quality and serving size was great - was very tasty and food temperature was great.Special Features:
- Makes losing less unpleasantAvisVIPDined on 6/7/2014Like the other Hugo's and Gibson's locations, the food here is simple, fresh, and delicious, the portions are massive, the service is friendly yet professional, and the martini's are stiff. Another upside - no kids, since you have to be 21 to enter! You may not win in the casino, but you can't lose no matter what you order at Hugo's.Special Features:
- RoyWDined on 6/5/2014My husband and I split the Chicago Cut steak, a huge double baked potato and sauteed spinach. All the food was very good! We could not have asked for better service. Our server was very attentive and so was the rest of the staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/3/2014Great menu selection, never disappointing. Lighting is a little dim to be able to read the menu clearly.Special Features:
- Best Rivers dining optionOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/31/2014Hugo's is good as always, the Rivers location is no different. My only issue is that I made my reservation 1 month in advance for a party of 8 and they crammed us into a 6 top. At the price point for this restaurant, that is no way to treat guests. I watched two 4 tops that had been combined with an extender for 10 sit empty for over an hour, until it was broken down and re-set as four tops. I could understand that treatment if I had made the reservation that day, but they called me earlier in the day and I called back and re-confirmed the reservation six hours in advance.Special Features:
- I enjoyed the restaurant.Aretistick1Dined on 5/30/2014The food was good and the environment energetic and fun, I was there the night the Hawks played so the crowd was especially roudy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary celebratione12otikaDined on 5/30/2014Food was good, service were attentive. Although, the restaurant is very loud - it was hard to carry on a private conversation. But I would go here again.Special Features:
- FoodiefoodieDined on 5/27/2014just another over priced place with bland food (crab in crab cakes comes from farm raised in Thailand). Filet was tender but no real 'steak' taste. Service was reasonably attentive but I dislike table help that tries to take away your food before you are finished. As our table did not drink alcohol, we felt like they were less interested in us as diners.
- Perfect place to startFoodgirlDined on 5/23/2014Good place for dinner with the boys. Good start to the night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Halibut wonderfulLedZep1VIPDined on 5/23/2014Great food. So impressed with the blackened halibut and my bro had the sea bass which was also great. Brussel sprouts tasty as they had small bacon bits. We will be back!
- Excellent night out!!!!CapoVIPDined on 5/23/2014We came to Hugo's for dinner with family from out of town. Mark our waiter was great. He was knowledgeable on everything we asked about the food there. The steaks were excellent. Loved the Mac and cheese too. Desert was wonderful we had the key lime pie. Piece was enough for 4. I would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.