Hudson Restaurant & Lounge
2030 M Street, NW
Washington, DC 20036Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Hudson Restaurant & Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hudson-dc.com/
- Phone: 2028728700
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday through Friday 11:00am - 3:00pm Afternoon: 3:00pm - 5:00pm Dinner: Sunday through Thursday 5pm - 10:30pm Friday and Saturday 5pm - 11pm Brunch: Sunday 10am until 4pm Late Night Menu: Sunday through Thursday 10:30pm - 1am Friday and Saturday 11pm - 2am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Demetrio Zavala
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Outside Catering Available. From Sandwiches for in office Luncheons, to private dinners in the corporate board room. We offer several different options for outside catering.
- Entertainment: Brunches will sometimes feature harpist, guitarist, steel drum, jazz singer depending on dates. Please call or log on our website for details. Lounge DJ after 11pm on Friday and Saturday evenings Wednesday jazz trio 7:30-10pm
- Special Events: A nightly happy hour offers premium alcohol at $6 per drink from 4pm - 7:30pm. Consult our website at www.hudson-dc.com for nightly events including live entertainment. If you would like to book a special event, please contact our Events Coordinator for more information.
A word from Hudson Restaurant & Lounge
Hudson Restaurant & Lounge —a hot spot for great food, creative cocktails, events — a place for comfortable socializing with friends and colleagues from sun-up to sundown. Taking its name from the Elizabethan explorer, Hudson is located in Washington’s Dupont Circle/West End neighborhood. The menu features favorites in contemporary ‘comfort food’. Hudson is open 7 days and serves lunch, dinner, Sunday brunch and a distinctive late night menu. The interior design features contemporary lighting, a curtained-off niche in the lounge, granite-topped bar, upholstered banquettes in the bar/ lounge & dining room, hardwood floors, 2- 42” LCD monitors in the bar area, private dining room and stylized, extended outdoor patio featuring comfy seating, oversized umbrellas, heaters and a vibrant atmosphere for food and sips al fresco; spring, summer, fall & the occasional warm winter day. Whether in cocktail attire or a pair of jeans, Hudson Restaurant and Lounge, "Comfort Food for the Cosmopolitan"Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hudson Restaurant & Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
- Unfortunately, this was theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/29/2012Unfortunately, this was the last night of operation of this restaurant. The menu was very limited. Our review will not be helpful due to the depressed atmosphere of the restaurant and its staff that night. The restaurant was closing its doors. Good bye Hudson!
- I understand the Hudson isOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2012I understand the Hudson is closing which is a real shame. The location is great, the food good, prices are reasonable, and the outdoor seating is very much appreciated. This meal was a good example. I took a colleague from my profession and we had a great meal in the outdoor section. This restaurant has always had one of the better outdoor sections.Special Features:
- disappointing visitOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/18/2012this place is very reliable for good lunch food and i have been many, many times. for the first time i added steak to my salad and it was very disappointing. it was fatty and hard to cut and for $6 frankly i expected more - as in better quality.Special Features:
- Food not great - disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/17/2012I met a girlfriend for dinner on a quiet Monday night, and it was nothing great. The waitress was pleasant but we had a language gap which made communicating hard and she got some things wrong. Specialty cocktails were tasty but packed with ice and hardly any alcohol (I felt nothing after 2.) Tuna nachos were disappointing (5 pieces only), each was 1 small slice of tuna on 1 corn chip, with a big slice of jalapeno pepper on top, which overpowered the rest if you ate it as served. The chicken dumpling soup was so salty it was almost inedible. We both got chopped salads, but there were no scallops available to top them, as offered in the menu. They were OK, but very uninteresting - nothing special. At least the bread was fluffy and tasty.
- A singularly unpleasant experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/15/2012We had a 10:30 pm reservation. When we realized we would be a few minutes late, we called to advise them, but they would not answer the telephone. When we arrived at 10:45 pm, we were told that the kitchen was closing. We protested that we had a reservation, and they finally agreed to seat us and serve us dinner. Why did they accept a 10:30 reservation if they close the kitchen about that time? Their menu is much more limited than it used to be, and two of the three entrees were only OK. Although the tables are separated from the bar, the crowded bar was so noisy that we could barely talk to each other. We will never return to Hudson's. Lastly they did not search for the reservation on the computer, so we did not receive 100 points.Special Features:
- I came in for dinner at 8:00OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/15/2012I came in for dinner at 8:00 on a Saturday. Although the restaurant was fairly empty, the service was slow from the beginning. Hudson was offering 50% off wine bottles and, after we ordered a bottle, it took nearly 20 minutes to find out that they were sold out of that particular wine and we'd need to order something else. During this whole process, the waitress never offered to get the ball rolling on our food order, so it was about 35 minutes into our reservation before we ordered entrees. The restaurant began increasing the music volume erratically at 9:00, to a level where we could barely hear each other speak. Also, staff was moving furniture around, which was incredibly loud. The food was fine, but the ambiance ruined the experience.
- I think their food is prettyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/15/2012I think their food is pretty mediocre. It reads well on the menu but is not executed very well. Small portions - 4 small pieces of seared tuna for the 'large option'.
- Handy spot for an early dinnerFormerFedVIPDined on 9/8/2012My girlfriend and I had an early dinner before heading to a movie. Hudson was empty when we arrived, but starting to crowd up as expected on a Saturday night by the time we finished. Service was friendly and attentive and the drinks were strong. We enoyed ourselves. Still miss the Pork&Pinot Wednesdays and monthly Ambrosial Bacon Dinners at this location when it was David Greggory.
- Every visit makes me want to returnOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2012Always a pleasant dining experience. Food is well prepared, service is helpful and paced nicely and restaurant is very attractive. Nothing too fancy, but very solid American classics that are well above average, e.g., burgers, omelettes, salads and a fantastic matzoh ball soup.Special Features:
- Last visit to Hudson's providedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/28/2012Last visit to Hudson's provided a delicious meal as usual. Reliable destination for high quality and fresh food that is prepared very nicely. Portions are not large but large enough. Noise level is a bit high for me but I still keep going back for the food.Special Features:
- My 6 year old said it wasFanceeVIPDined on 8/25/2012My 6 year old said it was the worse pizza she ever had and I agree!!! The service was great!!,
- The cocktails were quite tasty.TreRVIPDined on 8/24/2012The cocktails were quite tasty. Service was a bit slow toward the end of the meal. The food was good too.
- Worst of all my resto weekOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2012Worst of all my resto week meals. Soup course was delicious but it went downhill from there. The lobster burger had a weird unfresh taste and came on a huge unhealthy and tasteless bun. And the poor peachless cobbler was barely warm and barely there. No reason to return!
- Sad to see you goSurprisedVIPDined on 8/21/2012We've loved Hudson as a great neighborhood spot for quite a while and were sad to hear that it'll be closing. The imminent club coming to fill the space will definitely not be appreciated in the same way that this stand by was.Special Features:
- Not what it used to beOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/15/2012I used to really love this restaurant, but oh, how the mighty have fallen! During DC Restaurant Week, I went in and had one of my worst dining experiences in recent memory. There were only two waiters working, the food was tasteless and just bad. I got a strawberry shortcake with no strawberries. It was awful. I have no idea what happened to this place, but I won't be going back.
- Wouldn't go there againOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/14/2012I decided to try this restaurant during Restaurant Week and was surprised to find the restaurant surprisingly empty. My husband and I both hated our meals and it looks like other guests did as well. The menu looked appetizing stating courses like crab cocktail, NY strip steak, and strawberry shortcake. Each dish lacked flavor and seasoning. The steak was extremely hard and the tater tot creation was awful. The service didn't even make up for the food. Very disappointed.
- Pretty good food, pretty bad servicOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2012I was with a group of 5 for lunch during Restaurant Week. The service was pretty bad from the start. The actual food was pretty good, but exceptional. I would recommend the White Wine Sangria Margarita. However, the service was poor throughout. Waited a long time when we got there even though we had a reservation, dishes were forgotten, wrong things were brought out, the server had to ask who got what (HUGE restaurant pet peeve), and it was just soooo slow. Also, when the check arrived, the server tacked on gratuity, though that is generally only done on groups of 6+. Odd. The one redeeming factor was that the staff was very friendly, and gave our table to free carafes of the Sangria due to the wait.Special Features:
- Food was very bland. The dessertOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/13/2012Food was very bland. The dessert (bread pudding is a personal favorite) but here it was cold and not very tasty at all.
- Lovely new find in the neighborhoodxNYer123VIPDined on 8/8/2012Lovely new find in the neighborhood. Had a wonderful lunch.Special Features:
- Love a bottomless blodymaryOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/5/2012Overall: the experience at Hudson Restaurant & Lounge was good and I loved that they had bottomless blodymary's. I wish that more Washingtonian's would start doing brunch.Special Features:
- Creative salads and lightOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/2/2012Creative salads and light entrees for lunch. Cauliflower risotto was just right, tasty nice consistancy. Service was friendly and attentive!Special Features:
- Our party of three enjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/28/2012Our party of three enjoyed a wide variety of menu items that were delicious, well proportioned and superbly presented. The online menu was not up to date and the wine menu did not have our first choice, but the atmosphere and quiet corner made up for any disappointments. Enjoy!Special Features:
- it has been a few years sinceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/16/2012it has been a few years since i have dined here.... and it looks tired and in need of a face lift. Outside dining is nice, but the service was slow. Not worth the price.Special Features:
- Not really a great experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/29/2012Not really a great experience. The waitress was not good. She was short, didnt come check to see if food was ok. Just not presentable, and open. Will not go there again.
- The live music in the barWineBearDined on 6/20/2012The live music in the bar area ruined the experience of eating or having any kind of conversation over dinner. Also, while standing in the bar area the foot traffic between the bar stools and nearby seats was far too frequent and congested (predominantly by waitstaff). It was impossible to stand and have a conversation with someone seated at a bar stool.
- always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/20/2012hudson is consistantly good. great home made chips, great, interesting salads, delicious entrees. always a go to in that neighborhood.Special Features:
- Came here for my college graduationOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/19/2012Came here for my college graduation and it did not disappoint. Food was delicious and the sangria is fantastic!Special Features:
- Both times I have been toCosmosmomDined on 5/17/2012Both times I have been to this restaurant in the last year when I've been in DC, I have thoroughly enjoyed my experience. All the staff are courteous, pleasant, and attentive. And the food and drinks are delicious. Great place to sit and visit. scnSpecial Features:
- Second time eating here.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/17/2012Second time eating here. Not as impressed this time (first time was excellent). Food was just OK and they seemed a bit understaffed. Hopefully it was just an off day.
- Charming dining room. CharmingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/13/2012Charming dining room. Charming waitress. Big mistake with one order but then the chef came to the table, apologized, and treated us to both desserts with spoons and plates for all. It more than made up for the mistake .... and it was nice to meet the chef.
- Good but expensive. LovedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/8/2012Good but expensive. Loved the matzah ball soup! The fried chicken was good but overpriced. The brownie can be shared by four. Their special margarita was yummy and strong.Special Features:
- Worst dining experience inOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/7/2012Worst dining experience in Washington. Arrived to find no hostess, shabby bar area (several lighting fixtures in bar area were missing their shades and had bare bulbs only) and ultimately had to flag down a waiter. Eventually seated outside, ordered the chopped salad at $12 which came w/o the smokey bacon and candied pecans as indicated on the menu, ordered a medium rare strip steak at $28 with "fondant" potatoes (seriously??)- steak arrived medium to medium well alongside cold vegetables and 1 hour after I was seated. I requested a replacement serving that again arrived with cold vegetables and an overdone steak (steak was very thin) On the third attempt the Manager insensitively added "I hope this meets your expectations" (it didn't).
- Hudson has really gone downhill.moonbellyDined on 5/6/2012The fixtures are showing a lot of wear (scratched, stained, slanted furniture; loose curtains; etc.), but worse is the food. The duck confit I was served at brunch was in fact just sausage. The biscuits were dry and flavorless. Had to ask twice for butter and it came as we were finishing our meal. No S&P on the table unless you ask for it. Other tables were served bread and we weren't. It wasn't even busy! The price and portions were fine, but the quality of the food just isn't up to par. No wonder it was so easy to get a reservation. Bottom line: I won't go back and you shouldn't either. What a disappointment from the days when it was David Gregory...
- Keep an eye on the kitchen!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/6/2012The menu always looks great, but the service always seems confused. However the kitchen really doesn't know what's on the menu. My wife ordered a frittata, but received some sort of weird scramble with lots of greens on top. I ordered an omelette, but received something closer to a quiche. For both of us, the ingredients were the same as we had ordered and there was nothing similar on the menu, but the kitchen just didn't know what they were doing. The fruit plate with lavender honey and Greek yogurt is delicious and the bloody mary's are some of the best in the city!Special Features:
- Aside from the slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/4/2012Aside from the slow service due to a wedding rehearsal dinner inside the resetaurant, we enjoyed the food!Special Features:
- Excellent food, great service,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/4/2012Excellent food, great service, and they accomodated our expanded party immediately.Special Features:
- The best thing going for thisOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/2/2012The best thing going for this place is the location. Have had several work lunches there because of this but and consistently dissapointed by the inattentive service and poor quality food (rotted greens in the salad, unchewable steak, etc). So glad that District Commons and Circa have joined the neighborhood.
- Overall good food in termsSimonDined on 4/25/2012Overall good food in terms of variety. Kind of wished they were more timely with serving drinks.Special Features:
- Quiet for lunch. Tuna burgeryum123VIPDined on 4/9/2012Quiet for lunch. Tuna burger was good. Scallops were awesome, but the salas underneath was only ok, a little too finely chopped for my taste. Big detraction was the presence of several gnats in the vicinity.
- An overall excellent restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/7/2012An overall excellent restaurant. Lots of choices on the menu, very good service.Special Features: