Hudson Place Restaurant & Bar
538 3rd Ave
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Hudson Place Restaurant & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hudsonplacenyc.com/
- Phone: 2126866660x
- Hours of Operation:
MONDAY-THURSDAY 11:30 AM - 11:00 PM
FRIDAY 11:30 AM - 12:00 AM
SATURDAY 11:00 AM - 12:00 AM
SUNDAY 11:00 AM- 10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Wine
A word from Hudson Place Restaurant & Bar
Hudson Place, founded in 1990, conveys a maritime theme from New York City in the 1950s when the Big Apple was a robust merchant marine commerce center. Wood-paneled walls and large windows and a real fireplace compose the decor that recalls the ports that inspired the restaurant.Continued
Hudson Place is a simple restaurant that caters to the complex tastes of New Yorkers without being pretentious and trendy.
Hudson Place is a simple restaurant that caters to the complex tastes of New Yorkers without being pretentious and trendy.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hudson Place Restaurant & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (13)great for lunch (7)good for groups (6)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (2)special occasion (2)romantic (1)hot spot (1)fit for foodies (1)Show More
- Not goodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/22/2014The restaurant looks nice, but thats basically the only nice thing I can say about it. The wine was almost hot, the service was terrible. I think we saw our server about 3 times in 2 hours. The food was not good, at all. The steak I ordered was not remotely seasoned, but it was cooked to the proper temperature. The Bernaise sauce that came with it was not remotely bernaise sauce, nor was it good. The french fries were ok, but not properly salted. My dish also came with a vegetable. I think it was boiled cabbage, but it looked disgusting so I didn't bother eating it. My companion ordered a salad that cost more than my steak and was equally unimpressed. I would not recommend this place or come back to it.
- Warm and wonderfulVFieldingVIPDined on 8/9/2014This was my fourth visit to this Murray Hill restaurant and I realized afterwards that the staff has, each time, been among the most gracious, caring, and warm of any restaurant I have visited, and this is consistent for every time I've been there. The food is delicious and often creative. For example, we had the special, lobster deviled eggs. It was presented beautifully and was so tasty! Will keep going back, it's a great place, very calm and nicely lit too.Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/31/2014I hadn't been to Hudson's in a few years, having relocated, but I met a friend there for lunch when I was in the city. Service was great, food was terrific, just as I remembered. Got the seafood risotto. The lunch specials list was enormous. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go to neighborhood restaurantLiverandSnailsDined on 7/10/2014Was introduced to this restaurant by a friend who has since moved to California and had 2 kids in their tweens, so, they've been around for a while. Good, reliable, moderately-priced menu with some kid-friendly dishes. It's one of my go-to places in the neighborhood for solid, not too-trendy, American dishes and pastas. I come here when I want some place nicer than the diner or local bar but don't want fuss of the trendy, high-priced restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LightsFoodienotsofoodieVIPDined on 6/12/2014Everything was great except my only complaint was the lights were a little too dim for lunch time.
- Good lunch in Murray Hill!RichDVIPDined on 6/12/2014Went for lunch and 5 of us had the lobster with squid ink pasta! It was very good. The wait for the dish was a bit long for the restaurant not being very crowded. Waitress was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for mid priced foodPeggysmomDined on 6/1/2014What I like most about Hudson Place is that you are not sitting on top of other people and can have a decent conversation at your table.Special Features:
- Comfortable DiningReneeDined on 5/31/2014I have been to Hudson Place several times and find the service, comfortand food to be very good. Dishes are well prepared and generous. The menu is extensive enough to satisfy all palates.Special Features:
- Disappointed with quality of foodkellyVIPDined on 5/27/2014It's a local Murray Hill joint that usually has decent food but it must have been a very off night when we went. I always order the Margherita Pizza but this time, the crust was very soggy. So, after making a complaint to the so-so waitress, she told us that the chef stated that it couldn't be made with a crisp crust because the tomatoes make it soggy. What??? I have eaten pizza there before and it's never soggy from the tomatoes. So, we ordered a plain cheese pizza which came out fine. Mussels was not fresh and had sand in a few of them. The dining experience embarrassed me, because I chose the restaurant for my guest from out-of-town. Never again.
- Very goodFredDined on 5/8/2014Been there before, I usually bring co workers or clients. Reasonable prices go good for work occasions, food is very good . Excellent serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/6/2014I would say this is a good spacious lunch choice in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- satisfidedrickyricardoDined on 5/3/2014It is a good place for dinner the service is excellent and the food is goodSpecial Features:
- The following 39 reviews are from the Hudson Place Restaurant & Bar reviews archive.
- Good food lovely ambienceDocdudeDined on 4/25/2014Good upscale neighborhood bar-restaurant. My Caesar salad was ok. Pasta with smoked salmon fair. Fine for a business meal. Lovely ambience. All in all ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodcnycVIPDined on 4/4/2014I have been to the Hudson Grill several times and it is consistently good, from food to service.
- A StandardGreekGormandDined on 4/2/2014Like good jazz music...this is a standard....always good food, always good service....just good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good reasonably priced NYC mealKevinDined on 4/1/2014With a limited meal allowance of $50 I was able to get a steak, bowl of soup, and soda of good quality. The soup and steak were good. The side of kale was very bitter (maybe that's how it's supposed to be?). The waiter had to read from his notes and mispronounced some words when introducing the specials which didn't inspire confidence in menu knowledge, but service was prompt.I would recommend this to a friend.
- local mainstaykentDined on 3/23/2014Pretty typical of the Murray Hill area- good food, fair service, and definitely not a memorable experience.
- Left Satisfied, Will ReturnDeannaBDined on 3/5/2014Went on an early weeknight date around 6:30 on a Wednesday. Very quiet at first, livened up a little later. Our crab cake appetizer came out quickly, and was good but very small. BUT- the entree size greatly compensated. We ordered the Organic King Salmon Filet and the Pan Fried Pork Loin. Both were very good, it was SO nice to go somewhere in Manhattan that had good portion sizes. NOTE - the prices on Open Table are lower by a few dollars on each item. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My friend and I have beenaudreDined on 3/4/2014My friend and I have been enjoying Hudson Place for years. It's a the 1/2 way spot between our homes.Special Features:
- RecommendedRayTVIPDined on 2/24/2014A good neighborhood restaurant. A very enjoyable evenibg.Special Features:
- Great brunch with family!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/16/2014Brunch was great, the food arrived quickly and was cooked to our liking. The staff was very helpful and accommodating of our large group with 2 infants. Will definitely eat here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We booked this restaurantSofie881Dined on 2/14/2014We booked this restaurant last minute Valentine's Day. It was very nice and we enjoyed ourselves but I don't think I would go back. The food was fair.Special Features:
- Nothing to Write Home AboutShadesjrDined on 2/11/2014The food was mediocre at best. I ordered the hangar steak which was just okay. For dessert I ordered the key lime pie which was dreadful. It tasted like rubber. I informed the waiter that the pie was inedible and to his credit he removed the charges from the bill. Also, the waiter assigned to our table was mostly illiterate in English and therefore had no idea how to pronounce the words he was reading for the specials; for example, I thought he said one of the specials was some type of lamb dish when in fact he was trying, unsuccessfully to say "lump crab meat or crab cakes" (I'm still not sure what it was). Eventually, we had to request a different waiter. So all in all, this was not a great experience.
- Thumbs up!DandieDined on 2/10/2014This is a Murray Hill neighborhood gem. A moderately priced menu, and a lot of value for it. Cosmo cocktail was fabulous, good wine list. Both the Caesar and the Beet/Shrimp salads were excellent, but were under dressed, we should have asked for more. Our entrees were very good... Lovely interior space, welcoming, lighting was good, great background music. We would certainly come here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I look forward to going againRayTVIPDined on 2/9/2014We had dinner quite late, so while it was very quiet, it may not be so when crowded. The food was very good and the service attentive. I look forward to going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best pancakes everTexasDined on 2/9/2014I have been to Hudson Place several times for brunch and it never fails to please. Their banana &blueberry pancakes are superb. They are crispy on the outside and full of flavor and worth the splurge in calories. The coffee is delicious and they keep it coming. We have no end of restaurants in the Village but Hudson Place is my go to place. It is so reasonably priced for very good food.Special Features:
- Terrific brunch food at aOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 2/9/2014Terrific brunch food at a good value. We weren't rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always reliable, good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/30/2014Always reliable, good food and good service. The staff makes you feel welcome and they never rush you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had four different mealsbarbDined on 1/19/2014We had four different meals and all were excellent. It was great to find a moderately priced place that offered a sophisticated look and quiet atmosphere. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Murray Hill delightOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/19/2014Have dined at Hudson Place for dinner many times --- first time for a very pleasant Sunday brunch. Very diverse menu offering fine choices across the board. Lovely, attentive service. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Always greatPJNYCVIPDined on 1/1/2014The menu is very varied, so there's something for everyone in the group. Food was great. Service was good, a little too intrusive sometimes but not neglectful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My friend and I were pleasantlyNYCDINERVIPDined on 12/30/2013My friend and I were pleasantly surprised how delicious our meals were, how nice the wait staff was, and what a good value our experience was. Hudson Place sits along a big stretch of bars and restaurants in the 30's along 3rd avenue in Murray Hill. It offers a varied menu of pastas, creative salads, noteworthy sandwiches and some more expensive entrees. I would definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable spotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/29/2013We went to Sunday brunch. What strikes you is the menu selection. It offers creative takes on the usual. There is something for everyone. The quality and preparation is top notch. Everyone was very happy with the meal. Service was attentive. Finally, the prices are very reasonable. This place is nicely furnished, traditional with a warm feeling. Not cramped at all. We will continue to go here as a top neighbor hood pick. But it is worth a trip as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Thanksgiving DinnerCarlZVIPDined on 11/28/2013Would rather have been at home, but due to logistics needed to do Thanksgiving Dinner out this year. Hudson Place was a very good place to do this. Warm atmosphere and a very nice menu choices at fair prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the main reason I continuececileVIPDined on 11/16/2013the main reason I continue to go back is for the convenience....when I do not to choose to take a taxiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth going to.NewEraDined on 11/9/2013The food was really good. The proportions weren't huge but wasn't too small either. We were full and satisfied. Service was great too someone came by every now and then to check up on us. They also give bread and butter before which was very delicious. We asked for more bread 2 times and they didn't hesitate to do so. The ambiance was nice and cozy. Dim lighting and some historic pictures on the walls. The restaurant was a crowded however as it isn't a big restaurant. However we didn't have much trouble with space or getting around. Overall a great restaurant worth going to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Satisfactory for priceDianeJoyVIPDined on 11/8/2013We were seated at a table downwind from four people who bathed in different scents. The host quickly reseated us. Service initially was slow but picked up. Steak was cooked to our request, steak fries were undercooked, bread in basket had some dried out pieces.
- Inviting interiorJaneDoeDined on 11/8/2013Cozy fireplace, exposed brick NDA coat hooks contribute to a warm and welcoming ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Murray Hill restaurantAnnieVIPDined on 11/6/2013We had a nice lunch, not spectacular, but pretty good. Service was good, it wasn't noisy and we were able to have a conversation without straining. I hadn't been there in a long time and was happy to see it hadn't changed.Special Features:
- Special Requests IgnoredDonnaWVIPDined on 10/25/2013To begin with, my reservation was not honored. I made a reservation through Open Table requesting a round table in the main room. We got there exactly on time but there were no tables available and we were told it would be about half an hour wait. We were then offered a long rather than a round table in a quiet, back room which we accepted as we did not have the time to wait. Two of my parties dishes had to be sent back because they were cooked incorrectly. My other friend requested carrots for her vegetable and was served spinach. I feel that the food is mass produced so that individual requests are ignored which is not a sign of fine dining. Although our server and the Maitre D were very nice, we will not be back.