71 East Wacker Drive
Chicago, IL 60601Neighborhood:
Downtown / Loop
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hoytschicago.com/
- Phone: 3123469870x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Everyday: 7:00am - 11:00am. Lunch: Everyday: 11:00am - 5:00pm. Dinner: Everyday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm. Drinks: Sun-Thurs: 10:00am - 12:00am, Fri & Sat: 10:00am - 1:00am.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Aaron Munson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Private events can be arranged by contacting Erin Zachary at 312.436.7113 or email@example.com
- Cross Street: Wacker Drive & Wabash Avenue
- Public Transit: Red, Pink, Green, Orange, Brown, or Purple Line to State & Lake.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking is available with Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront hotel. For the first 3 hours, parking will be $14 for patrons of Hoyt’s. After 3 hours, regular hourly rates apply. Street parking is also available on Wacker Drive on weekends and on surrounding streets at various times.
A word from Hoyt's Tavern
With views of the iconic Chicago River, Hoyt's Chicago reflects modern tavern fare while focusing on the atmosphere of a Chicago neighborhood dining experience. We feature seasonal, market fresh, and healthy offerings while emphasizing Hoyt's creative twist on traditional comfort foods. Get your day started "Hoyt's style" with a cup of coffee and a pastry, or choose from our a la carte and "grab and go" breakfast options. We pack big tavern taste into our lunch items, where you can grab a quick mid-day bite in between meetings or enjoy a late lunch. In the evening, Hoyt's comes alive to capture an after work crowd looking for a high energy and social environment. Hoyt's dinner menu features signature shared items like Hoyt´s Lobster Mac & Cheese and our Calamari, balanced with simple, yet sophisticated tavern entrée items like Beef Short Ribs or our Blue Crab Stuffed Salmon. Our all American wines, beers and cocktails will complete your evening with a memorable spin.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hoyt's Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (12)great for outdoor dining (9)neighborhood gem (6)scenic view (6)fit for foodies (5)good for groups (5)great for brunch (3)romantic (3)special occasion (3)late-night find (3)hot spot (1)Show More
- always deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/25/2014Such a great place for work meetings. Food is always delicious and the ambience is niceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/4/2014I always enjoy Hoyts because it's consistent. I know the food is delicious especially the mac & cheese and onion rings. It's a nice place to do business lunchesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but lonelyMetrolinkVIPDined on 9/3/2014I was surprised that we were the only ones in the restaurant for the entire lunch.Special Features:
- Great late nite spotVicDgoDined on 8/30/2014We stopped in here after the Chicago Jazz Festival Saturday nite, Labor Day weekend. Chicago was very crowded but we were able to get right in. Great food, fun Martini menu, great service. We felt lucky to find a spot we could get right into that was comfortable and not too noisy. Lots of people sitting mostly at the bar, although a few other tables were also seated during our dinner visit. This restaurant is Ttached to the Wyndham Grand Riverfront.Special Features:
- Just fine.samliveDined on 8/30/2014Our experience at Hoyt's was fine. It wasn't exceptional but definitely not terrible. Generally, just not notable either way. Everything was fine. I'd try other places to see if I liked something better but didn't hate this spot at all.Special Features:
- ConsistantOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/21/2014Love this restaurant because the food is always great. I have had most things on the menu and they are all equally as good as the other.Special Features:
- Great for meetingsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/20/2014I always feel comfortable bringing clients to Hoyt's for lunch because of the variety of the food, there's something for everyone. The food is always delicious as well-especially the macaroni!Special Features:
- Dead on a Friday nightRickVIPDined on 8/8/2014We are always open to trying new restaurants. That being said, Hoyt's gave off a strange "vibe" the minute we arrived and we felt leery. The restaurant is laid out horribly. If anyone sits at a table near the bar then theres barely any room to walk between them. There is no discernable check-in area. The outside patio was haphazard and awkward. The worst was there was hardly anyone there (a bad sign on a Friday night). Rather than try and build up a buzz and clientele with exceptional service - we had to wait to have our drink order taken and then the drinks took over 20 minutes to arrive. The drinks are $12 each, by the way. We didn't try the expensive drinks because we got up and walked out just as they arrived.
- Always GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/31/2014I really enjoy Hoyt's it's a hidden gem that always has great food. Their macaroni & cheese is amazing and I can never turn it downSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu is just different.EaterDined on 7/9/2014There are good finds on the menu. Be prepared to try something just a little different. It's good. It's not comfort food.Special Features:
- The following 117 reviews are from the Hoyt's Tavern reviews archive.
- Gilt City DealJulieDined on 5/3/2014I went to Hoyt's because I had purchased a Gilt City deal - 2 glasses of wine, 1 app, 1 cheese and charcuterie board, 2 entrees, and 1 dessert. All for $49!!! The best thing we had was the Beef Short Rib. Served with mashed potatoes and carrots with a delicious glaze. I would definitely go back for this dish! I was disappointed to see that the restaurant was not busy though. I hope this place makes it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant place, great for talkingPlateFanDined on 3/29/2014It was the ideal spot for a nice evening out with the family. Great food with options for every pallet, especially finding a middle ground for meat-eaters and vegetarians.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was okPatrickDined on 3/27/2014For a hotel restaurant, and let's be clear, that's what it is, in the lobby of Hotel 71, it's pretty good. Not standard pub fare - I had a lamb burger and there were some other good options on the menu. We went on a Thursday night just because we were in the area. It was dead - only one other couple in the place. Service was very attentive. My "medium" burger was way overcooked, definitely well-done, which was disappointing because the flavors were otherwise good. Fries great. Wife's beet/carrot salad was good but could have used some more cheese. If I needed to eat in the Loop area, I might go here again, if Elephant & Castle was crowded. But I wouldn't seek it out.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hoyt's - Great MenuJohnDined on 3/18/2014My wife and I went to Hoyt's, first time this week - there are so many great choices on the menu that we are going to need a dozen more trips to "eat-our-way through the menu. We started with with fried cheese curds; I had the braised pork shank; my wife had the lobster macaroni & cheese; and we finished with chocolate espresso mousse. Everything was great - and we are going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hotel RestaurantMinneapolisTravelerDined on 3/7/2014In an effort to get a last minute reservation for a group of 10 we ended up at Hoyt's Tavern. The food was great, although the menu was a bit limited on options, and the service was accommodating to our large group. If you're visiting for a short trip, I'd recommend a more unique-to-the-area restaurant (we didn't realize it was basically a hotel restaurant) but you can't go wrong with good tasting food here - be sure to get the truffle fries!Special Features:
- Surprising foodAdamDined on 2/16/2014I came here on a Sunday night so it wasn't too busy but there was only one server working. He was a veteran and did well with the amount of tables but I felt he was a little rushed and couldn't provide the level of service they were aiming for (or I hoped for). He knew his stuff and was very friendly but it's just difficult to juggle that many balls successfully. The food and the drinks were fantastic! In many places you dont expect too much from hotel restaurants but in Chicago there are so many hotels downtown they've upped their game to compete and come out very well. This isnt going to be the hot spot in downtown but if you're looking for a table and a great meal give it a chance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week ReviewChicagoDinerVIPDined on 1/29/2014The service was good, they were attentive and the bartender was really nice. The food was a little slow to come out of the kitchen at first but only for the appetizers. We ordered the pretzel with spicy mustard and a beer cheese fondue and the scallops which came on a corn mixture. Both were good, the pretzel wasn't anything special. We both had the dr. pepper glazed short ribs which were on top of mashed potatoes and both were very good. The short rib just fell apart with your fork. For dessert we had pumpkin cheesecake which was just okay and a chocolate mousse. The mousse was excellent and had a bailey's flavored whipped cream. Overall it was a good dinner and I would go back to try other items on the menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time MuncherOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/24/2014I had the Pan Roasted Amish Chicken Parmesan sticky black rice risotto, spinach, hen of the woods mushrooms, red wine jus and it was delicious. Their version of a Manhattan was great. Also, the Braised Port Shank leaves a lot to be desired. I think the temperature outside was hovering around zero so there were not any crowds to contend with. Great atmosphere and wait staff. Worthy of the return trip.Special Features:
- Nice lunch spotPaulDined on 12/7/2013We were going on a tour and decided to stop for an early drink and lunch. Very nice décor with an attentive bartender. Turkey burger with truffle fries was very tasty. Would got back in the future.Special Features:
- Good food, next to our hotelcazzimaDined on 11/8/2013We were happy to have a good sounding restaurant to our Hotel Club Quarters when we arrived in Chicago. We'd read previous reviews that were slightly unfavorable, but those were from 2011. The food was good, they had a nice selection of craft beers, a great martini, and they made a stab at a sidecar, which wasn't bad. If we'd known they were open for breakfast we would have gone there.Special Features:
- Fun and casualLaneyDined on 9/29/2013Hoyt's was so fun my husband and I went on a Sunday and watched a football game. The atmosphere was upbeat and exciting. Burgers were amazing I definitely recommend the Hoyt signature burger my favorite. Service was fast and friendly we did not seemed rushed but very attended to.Special Features:
- Food very goodswannanoDined on 9/29/2013Went here expecting to order brunch on a Sunday morning. Looked at the lunch menu and changed our minds. I had sea bass and it was wonderful! Husband had a burger which was equally good. Truthfully, we picked this spot because we were in a hurry, it was close, etc. Didn't have high expectations for the food, but we were very pleasantly surprised. One odd thing, every person in the restaurant brought us something or checked on us while there. We weren't sure who our waitress/waiter was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Work Happy HourSydMackVIPDined on 9/16/2013I went here with co workers for happy hour at 6 and we ended up staying until 11! They were very accommodating and attentive. The food was good and the drinks were flowing. Good place for drinks and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late Lunch Lacks ServicedcfoodieVIPDined on 7/16/2013Went in for a late lunch. The food was good, but service was lacking.Special Features:
- Very slow, inadequate serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/5/2013We ate outside on a beautiful night in a great setting on Wacker Dr. It appeared the there may have been only one waiter for the entire outside seating area; the service was very slow. The food dribbled out to the table virtually one diner at a time. By the time my wife received her entree everyone else at the table was done eating. It took over 15 minutes to finish up after I had requested the check. Great ambience, decent food, but very disappointing service.
- Food okOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/29/2013The food was ok, but not great. The atmosphere is nice. There are many other great places to eat in Chicago.
- Hoyt's TavernHoytsTavernDined on 5/18/2013We went to Hoyt's with a group of 15 people last weekend. Although the food and drinks were good, our service was horrible. We had to ask our waitress to come take our orders several times as she was not checking back in on the table. The only times we saw our waitress was when we went to ask her to come to the table or she was bringing us food.... Overall the food was good, different. I just did NOT enjoy our service as it was nearly non existent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ce resto offre une vue magnifiqueLouguyVIPDined on 5/13/2013Ce resto offre une vue magnifique sur les immeubles de la Chicago River. La cuisine est bonne.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Booze PopsiclesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/23/2013Fantastic food and drinks!You need to try the Strawberry Whip Vodka Popsicle (but ask for Champagne instead of Riesling and Prosseco)! Such an amazing and cleaver treat! I wish they could sell these "togo".Dr. Pepper Glazed Short Rib Sliders a must. They don't take patio reservations so be sure to get there early..I saw they have live music on Fridays and Sundays, so I will for sure be back for that!Service was great, very friendly waitress!Special Features:
- Disappointing, really. I hadOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/13/2013Disappointing, really. I had hopes that it would be great find, they were severely under staffed. The manager had not shown up and there was only on waitress. We waited 10 or 15 minutes before anyone came to our table. We ordered ed the Mac n' Cheese small plate and while it had a good taste, it was not hot. Our entrees were very good but took forever to get. Not likely I would go back there.
- Absolutely delicious fare.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/22/2013Absolutely delicious fare. We were fortunate to enjoy the 2nd anniversary celebration- with festive music and some of the marvelous specialty cocktails. We'll definitely return. It was a perfect spot for our pre-Chicago Theatre meal.Special Features:
- I selected this resturantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/13/2013I selected this resturant for a business meeting with some clients for an afternoon lunch, it was not what I expected. Looking on-line at the menu, it showed more options than when we saw when sitting at the table. The menu had at the most, 12 items total, some salads, sandwhiches and desserts. The group mostly had salads, one person had to change their order as they were all out of one ingredient to make his salad. Upon receiving an caprese salad, it was just tomatoes in a jar with a samll piece of cheese on top. This cost $9. Everything was overpriced and not that good. It seems like it would be a good place to drink, just not to eat.
- This place has potential.PWillVIPDined on 2/9/2013This place has potential. I had the trout, the lobster mac and cheese, and the strawberry dessert. In my opinion the food was just fine, not great. However the dessert was very good. My husband thought his food was good, and usually he is pickier then me. The presentation was good and the service was attentive. The decor is modern and I liked it, although the space is somewhat small. I would try it again for happy hour or on a week day.
- Upon this visit to Hoyt's,crispie2VIPDined on 2/8/2013Upon this visit to Hoyt's, I was extraordinarily impressed with the service and how accommodating they were for our group-we were the nightmare customers that night. Originally we had a reservation for 12, it ended up being 10, only 4 were on time and the last 2 were very late. Due to the lateness, we then needed to order and get food ASAP and the restaurant was happy to do so with no attitude. The food was delicious as well. I was very impressed and promise never to be "that table" again!Special Features:
- Hit and MissEvnstnOneVIPDined on 2/6/2013A bit hit/miss. One entree was good. The other was not. Service was a bit hit/miss as well. They kept trying to clear our plates. A bit too eager. It's not like they were busy. And most times we still had a plateful of food or were putting bites into our mouth. With all the options in that neighborhood, I won't rush back there.
- Nice place for a chill lunch.crispie2VIPDined on 2/5/2013Nice place for a chill lunch. Service was a little slow albeit very friendly. Otherwise the food was great!
- Group of 8 went on a weeknightChictrixDined on 1/9/2013Group of 8 went on a weeknight - worked great! Wide variety of drink options and food was excellent. Difficulty finishing the shortribs and lamb burgers. Service excellent!Special Features:
- I felt a bit crowded. WeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/30/2012I felt a bit crowded. We were seated by the bar---very close to the bar. My chicken was very dry. Others seemed to like their food. I don't know that I would go to the restaurant unless I was staying in the hotel. We were guests there for 2 nights. Service was fine.
- First time at Hoyt's and it'sOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/21/2012First time at Hoyt's and it's winter time so the place, while busy, wasn't hopping. The chicken was a tad dry. My dinner partner had the short ribs & strawberry dessert & said both were very good. I'd go backSpecial Features:
- Solid Tavern, good beer selection.ChicagoGirl10Dined on 12/8/2012Beer selection was good and the husband's Hoyt Burger was a winner (huge, loved the onion rings on top!).. My Hoyt Salad of mixed greens, chicken, blue cheese, etc. was underwhelming with surprisingly little flavor. We would definately go back, just choose a different entree.Special Features: