House of Tricks
114 E. 7th St.
Tempe, AZ 85281Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
House of Tricks
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.houseoftricks.com/
- Phone: 4809681114x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kelly Fletcher
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: House of Tricks is a unique setting for meetings, receptions and all types of celebrations. Whether dining indoors with elegant turn-of-the century ambiance or outdoors on candlelit patios, your guests will be delighted by our gracious staff and mouth-watering cuisine.
- Private Party Contact: Janis Brown 8774875613
- Cross Street: Mill Avenue and University Drive
- Public Transit: House of Tricks is located 2 short blocks from the Veteran"s Way Metro Light Rail stop. Just cross Fifth Street at Forest Avenue and head south to Seventh Street. Turn right on Seventh, and we are on your right. The Veteran's Way station is also the home of the Tempe Transportation Center and the hub of public transportation in Tempe.
- Parking: Private Lot
A word from House of Tricks
Welcome to award-winning House of Tricks restaurant, nestled in the heart of downtown Tempe near popular Mill Avenue, Gammage Auditorium and the ASU campus. Retreat to this charming oasis for mouth-watering cuisine, gracious service and a relaxed atmosphere that will leave you delighted and refreshed. Let us serve you on our sun-dappled patio, at our outdoor tree-covered bar, or inside one of our two historic bungalows. Perfect for a getaway lunch, intimate gathering, private business meeting, romantic dinner or happy hour celebration, House of Tricks has been a favorite treasure of locals and visitors alike for almost 25 years.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
House of Tricks - Best Restaurants in Tempe ›
House of Tricks reviews from OpenTable diners
137 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (114)neighborhood gem (88)fit for foodies (84)romantic (80)special occasion (80)great for lunch (53)notable wine list (49)great for brunch (31)good for groups (28)hot spot (15)scenic view (11)late-night find (11)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Not what we had expectedAZfoodieVIPDined on 9/5/2014Location, charm, and service were all there.. the only thing lacking was quality of food. The menu choices were appealing, but execution of the dishes fell short. Perhaps it was an off night, will try once again during another season to allow for change.Special Features:
- House of TrickstempegemDined on 9/5/2014Love the restaurant; food is excellent; service superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently goodGobzafunVIPDined on 9/5/2014brought some friends who thoroughly enjoyed their meal as did weSpecial Features:
- Charming and deliciousamy7Dined on 8/30/2014Delicious beet, nut and shaved Brussel sprout salad with warm vinaigrette, great tenderloin, charming outdoor dining in the lit garden area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent once againbooternoDined on 8/30/2014We ate outside on the patio at 7:30 PM. With the misters going it was quite pleasant, even though the outdoor temperature was over 95 degrees. We ordered an the smoked wild boar appetizer, and it was excellent. The combination of a tart slaw with the sweet potatoes and pork, piled on a tortilla was perfect. The pousson chicken and salmon dishes were also excellent; we finished them both, which is unusual for us. Our son had the Ahi tuna sushi style dish and, while he boxed up what was left, he ate it for breakfast the next morning and said it was just as good. The mark of high quality food is being able to take it home and have it be as good or better the next day.Special Features:
- Delicious!KeiraDined on 8/30/2014House of Tricks is one of my favorite restaurants. The food is superb. The service is great and the atmosphere is charming. It's well worth the price!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodGobzafunVIPDined on 8/30/2014Have always been very happy dining here. Consistently good across the board. Too bad it was truly too warm to be outside.Special Features:
- A delightful getaway in TempeJNewRiverDined on 8/30/2014On a lazy Labor Day weekend, lunch at House of Tricks was a relaxing and delicious way to enjoy a late afternoon lunch. The menu is extensive and the items as good as they are described. The waitstaff was a pleasure with friendly, knowledgeable and excellent recommendations and attentive service. The ambiance is one of being at a country home but we are near the middle of downtown. That is something that can still happen in Tempe, AZ. We will be back.Special Features:
- Just the right amount of ambience.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014House of Tricks is the dining preference in Tempe for that special occasion. In a word it is " Just right"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another A+++++FussyBarbieDined on 8/29/2014House of Tricks is as wonderful as it has always been...since the day it opened. I've never been disappointed. The staffing is as outstanding as the food, too!Special Features:
- Not worth the moneyAlmostfullDined on 8/26/2014The House of Tricks has a unique ambiance and provides a nice setting. The service was good, but the food was extremely underwhelming especially for the price. As an aside, I took my husband there for his birthday and they didn't even provide a complementary birthday dessert. I understand that they don't have to, but I don't think I've ever been to a restaurant that didn't (including those that are much cheaper and those that are much more expensive). Overall a disappointment. In talking to others, the consensus seems to be good atmosphere, lousy food (I should have talked to them before I went).
- 10th Visit and they still have "it"OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Love this place. Menu changes regularly. Food is always a great ride for the taste buds. Will definitely return again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014House of Tricks is a lovely setting with excellent service. Staff are attentive with a quick response to any request. Would definitely recommend for special occasion, date night or a pleasant setting for quality evening with family and or friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Outdoor DiningHarazonaDined on 8/23/2014We loved the menu choices and the outdoor dining area. Service was very good as was our lunch. Everything was fresh well prepared. I would go back for lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyablejbphxDined on 8/22/2014Great location, great atmosphere, great food, great wine and friendly service. Could not ask for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All great except tunaAntonioDined on 8/22/2014So a great experience overall, second time we were there. Mussels and drinks fantastic, main entree tuna very disappointing. Split it. Too much rice, way too salty, wasabi cream has no wasabi, sweet and sour sauce nicely presented but strange tasting, not enough tuna. This dish needs to be fixed. Everything else exceeded expectations. Excellent spot for date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salt killed it!!trubluazDined on 8/22/2014This was our second visit here. First since they parted with their longtime chef Kelly Fletcher. We started with the Caesar Salad and Wild Boar appetizer. Boar was very appetizing. Cod special with the potatoes au gratin very flavorful and nicely prepared. I went with the Seared Ahi Tuna, Sticky Rice Cake, and Sesame Kale. Ahi was nicely prepared but when bit into the kale it was "OVERLY" salted ruined the entire dinner. Waitress apologized and took it off the bill offered to make another entrée my appetite was ruined by the amount of salt used. NO APOLOGY FROM MNGR OR CHEF??? Not the same place at all. Why is it so hard for a Restaurant MNGR or Chef to accept responsibility anymore? Shame was a favorite not anymore though.Special Features:
- Great Customer Dinner SpotChrismDined on 8/20/2014Brought customers from Europe to House of Tricks for a business dinner recently. They really enjoyed the outside dining experience and found the meal and wine excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over abundance of ingredientsFreshDined on 8/19/2014Too much focus on how many ingredients can be put on one plate and not enough focus on preparation and presentation. I am really bored with servers taking a full minute to describe what's in a soup or two minutes to describe an appetizer. I have to order an extra cocktail just to get through the litany of ingredients in the specials. The service was mediocre. The noise level was like a college bar.Special Features:
- A good lunchDeltDined on 8/19/2014Decided to try this restaurant on a whim and it was a wonderful experience. Great find and a very nice atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Tempe landmark restaurant.JimyMacDined on 8/16/2014We don't come here as often as we did when we lived closer, but it is still a favorite. We chose to celebrate our anniversary here this year and it measured up to our expectations. Complementary champagne with our desert was a pleasant surprise.Special Features:
- Great food and experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/15/2014As usual our meal was outstanding the appetizer and delicious. We have been coming here for years and always enjoy our meals and the service is always outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always DeliciousMsVickiTDined on 8/15/2014We were seated in one of the cottages for lunch (it's too hot to eat outside this time of year). The wine specials are always a great value, as are all the lunch priced entrees. My husband had the burger special and I had the trout. I was worried that it might be too spicy from the description but everything was seasoned perfectly as was the portion size. At first I thought it might be too much, but it disappeared quickly with me feeling satisfied but not overly full (which I hate). I love this place.Special Features:
- Lovely timeLovelynightDined on 8/14/2014My husband and went for our 15th anniversary. The food was wonderful and the staff was attentive and yet unobtrusive. It was a fabulous and meal and the perfect romantic atmosphere for our big night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceAZJamiesDined on 8/12/2014The menu is delightful and the service was wonderful. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Good food, nice ambience - aJanefromPeoriaDined on 8/12/2014A fun, relaxing place to enjoy with a friend for lunch. Good food, great service!Special Features:
- Great Experience at House of TricksSpotDined on 8/9/2014Before I had mostly gone to House of Tricks for a glass of wine or cocktail. This time I was heading to a party in Tempe and decided to have dinner there. What a phenomenal experience! Our waiter was superb, and the food was beyond compare. The entire hostess & wait staff were very warm and efficient. Overall a great experience!Special Features:
- Always a Foodie Favorite!MikieEatsDined on 8/8/2014House of Tricks has been a favorite of ours for many years and our recent visit found the kitchen continues to do a wonderful, yummy job and the service is personable! The daily special salad was delightful, the seared fois gras on a tamale was sinfully rich, and the lamb rack was perfect. After starting with a couple of excellent mixed drinks (if you like Hendrick's gin, there are several concoctions featuring it), we enjoyed a bottle of Sean Minor pinot with the fois gras and the lamb. Given the heat we ate inside - the romantic choice - but with the misters the patio and bar would have been ok and as it cools off the patio is best for larger parties - and the patio bar is great for drinks & nibbles. Definitely recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014Delicious food, wonderful atmosphere, and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!CallieDined on 8/2/2014Great restaurant! Wonderful menu and excellent food!Special Features:
- Great Outdoors - Weather PermittingLongTimeFansVIPDined on 8/2/2014This was our first visit. We had heard great reviews about the relaxing and beautiful outdoor seating area. It definitely is as good as we had heard, but probably not for AZ monsoon/humidity season. The patio has plenty of shade, and the restaurant has misters to help cool things off, but despite that on this sticky day we should have asked to sit inside. Everything else about our experience was wonderful. The food was as visually appealing as it was tasty, service was excellent, and the menu had a great variety of brunch options. The wine list (more like a book) is comprehensive, and they offer a very good white and red special selection by the glass. This is a must-visit if you are looking for great food and atmosphere in Tempe.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysdotnetnateDined on 8/1/2014Just had a business lunch on a surprisingly perfect day in the middle of summer in AZ so we sat outside. Nobody was around (perhaps they missed the "we're open after the summer break" memo) so it was dead quiet, not that it's ever obscenely loud for lunch. At any rate, I had the grilled chicken sandwich which was absurdly fantastic. A colleague had the PB&J which he raved about. Forgot what our third diner had since I was too engrossed in mine to really pay attention and was slightly envious of the PB&J.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014Average sums up the experience at House of Tricks. My dinner companion and I had a fish dish, shared a salad and a scallop appetizer. All the food was good but not great considering the cost of the dinner. I requested indoor dining to avoid being bothered by bugs and during the whole dinner we were swatting away a fly. It was very annoying. I chose House of Tricks because of the reviews and proximity to Gammage Theater as we were going to see a show after dinner. It satisfied our hunger but the experience and food were unremarkable.
- Have loved Trick's since it openedFussyBarbieDined on 7/29/2014Probably 25+ years ago, Tricks arrived near ASU. I suspect more business has been conducted at Trick's than any board/bored room at the University! But it's perfect for Date Night, group celebrations, Girl Talk and Boy Talk. I have always loved Trick's (again, since it opened) and still do! They can handle any event that you can imagine!Special Features:
- OutstandingDKWalserVIPDined on 7/28/2014We went to the House of Tricks for our anniversary dinner. It was a perfect choice. For appetizers, we had the smoked salmon and the foie gras. Each was superbly prepared. We both enjoyed the roasted beet and shaved Brussels sprout salad. It had a well balanced pallet of contrasting textures and flavors. The entrees were also well prepared. I had the roasted beed tenderloin and my wife had the sea bass. Each was accompanied by nicely prepared vegetables and starches. My wife enjoyed the bread pudding for desert while I had the Mexican chocolate brownie. In between each course, we were allowed time to talk. Yet, we never felt neglected by the friendly wait staff.Special Features:
- UniqueJeanniesthoughtsDined on 7/28/2014We love the food at House of Tricks and the ambiance of the old house makes it a unique place to bring friends. Best Tuna Melt in the Universe. We also like to support family owned (not chain) businesses. We brought friends from Florida who own a huge restaurant supply business and they loved it. Believe me, they have restaurant experience.Special Features:
- Artsy decor & extraordinary foodFlyingGirlDined on 7/26/2014We visited for lunch on Saturday and had a lovely table indoors. The restoration of these historic homes is faithful without being dated and the artworks on the walls are outstanding, worth walking through the buildings to see. Our meals were creative and so tasty! I appreciate their super fresh ingredients and terrific food pairings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Food, Great Service!KeiraDined on 7/24/2014House of Tricks is one of my all time favorite restaurants. The food is superb and the service is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner & a showalpine3Dined on 7/24/2014Had an early dinner because we were going to see "Jersey Boys". They were sensitive to our time restraints. Offered a special on a wine we liked, which was excellent. Food was excellent. My husband said his beef tenderloin was the best he's ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chewychewyDined on 6/28/2014I have been many times and always look forward to it. The food is exceptional and it's close to the theaters. It's a cute little old house with old place settings (but nice).Special Features: