House of Prime Rib
1906 Van Ness Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
House of Prime Rib
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://houseofprimerib.net/
- Phone: 4158854605
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant can accommodate large parties. Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Management 4158854605
A word from House of Prime Rib
62 years of loyal customers can't be wrong. We are grateful to all of our customers, employees, and critics (...though we may not always agree!). The only way to find out the truth is with a visit. Oft imitated, never duplicated. Thank you in advance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
House of Prime Rib - Best Restaurants in Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness ›
House of Prime Rib reviews from OpenTable diners
686 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
special occasion (516)good for groups (308)fit for foodies (246)notable wine list (207)romantic (203)neighborhood gem (170)hot spot (149)vibrant bar scene (84)kid-friendly (70)late-night find (35)great for lunch (12)great for brunch (6)great for outdoor dining (6)scenic view (1)Show More
- Not for real steak loversOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/28/2014Nice place with very friendly service and good ambient. Menu is short which I find good but steak is baked and all sides are with sauce, butter or cream. In my opinion a good steak should let you enjoy its taste; sauces do not let you appreciate it. Pricey place for an average steak, good for roast beef type of dish.
- Best steakOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/28/2014One of the best steak house in SFO, eat King Henry w Mashed Potatoes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mens restroomOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Dirty! Specially the toilet sit!....overall the food and service was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/28/2014If you love prime rib, you have got to try this place! Great service and great food! Well worth the money!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014This place is a long-standing tradition in SF. The food is great. Prime Rib at its' peak. It is a bustling place, with all kinds of activity and celebrating. Not a place for a quiet romantic dinner, but quite an experience. We've gone several times with different friends each time and everyone we have taken there has LOVED it. Plan in advance, it's a bit hard to get a reservation, but well worth the planning. Delicious.Special Features:
- Best Steak DinnerCarolaVIPDined on 9/27/2014Food was amazing like always. We got Anotnio who rocked! And I have to mention that they make one of the best Green Apple Martinis :-)Special Features:
- Usually great...not this timechuckDined on 9/27/2014Have been going to HPR for 25yrs plus. Weather with friends or alone I have always had GREAT food and service. This was not the case 9.27.14 around 6:00. The potion of meat was much smaller than I had been served in the past. The service was rushed and VERY lacking in response. (server: Yannick) I had planned to stay longer and have an after dinner drink/coffee but do to the poor service I could not wait to get out of there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Robert S in Sacramento 32RobertSSacramento32Dined on 9/27/2014Went to the House on Saturday after spending the day in SF. This is one of my favorite restaurants in SF and I dine here several times a year. Made reservations on Open Table and received several confirmations leading up to Saturday. Arrived a few minutes early so we had a drink at the bar. As usual everyone I came into contact (hostess, bartender, servers and manager) provided a high level of service and were friendly. I like the ambience, staff and food at the House. I ordered the King Henry cut and I didn't leave hungry. The entire experience was great as were all previous visits. I highly recommend the House of Prime Rib and due to it's popularity the reservations fill up fast so plan a month or two in advance.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014The food and service was amazing. The only choice to make is type if cut and mashed or baked potato. Its all wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prime Eub at it's finestdining4funDined on 9/26/2014Some if the best prime rib ever. The sides leave much to be desired. Very bland. Next time I will order just the prime rib and potatoe. Not crazy about the seasoned salt added to the salad. Great desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a joy to come backOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/25/2014Service was great, the wait was a little long even with a reservation but with a place with that much volume, it was expected. Food was perfect, I had the house of prime rib cut (med rare) with creamed spinach and mash potatoes. They were out of frog's leap Cabernet unfortunately :( but someone was able to make a great recommendation for something just as good. Overall, 5 starsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gotta go here at least once!foodisgoodDined on 9/25/2014Really fun scene. Great for locals who like being tourists in SF too! Old time, loud, tons of service, great drinks, awesome meat ... Makes eating an event. Love the menu...sm, med, or lge prime rib or fish of the day. A simple, easy, great meal.Special Features:
- chucklettmeatnpotatoesDined on 9/25/2014The food was delicious and the service was great. We were seated next to a large group of men who were incredibly loud, to the point where our group of 4 couldn't hear ourselves talking to each other. Everything else was so fantastic that we still had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GuerreroOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014Everything was great. Making reservations is recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MeatfulldinerDined on 9/23/2014Come hungry-hot sourdough bread--let it cool before tearing into it, classic chopped salad that may fill you up too soon--so save room for the entree. Stuffed baked potato with plenty of real bacon bits, chive and sour cream--just ate half of it. The prime rib was very rare (requested medium rare)-so ask for medium if you want rare. Creamed spinach and Yorkshire pudding were good. Three levels of horseradich sauces--the hot cleared my sinuses. Good cocktails. Did not have wine with dinner. Good coffee. Did not manage any dessert--but saw a very big slice of chocolate cake and bread pudding with ice cream that looked really good. Only dine here if you love meat and carbs.Special Features:
- HOPR - 09/22/14, 6pm reservationRussellDined on 9/23/2014Reservation was fine & we were seated timely. Prices have gone up and portions seemed to have gotten smaller. The noise was a roar. It felt like I was at a Giant's or 49er game.
- Great mealDrbaitiDined on 9/22/2014Excellent meal, on all levels- food, service, ambience. The menu choices are very limited, but we were there to enjoy a great piece of prime rib, and that it was. Also, a nice selection of cocktails & wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceA1PrimeRibDined on 9/21/2014As usual, the food and overall dining experience were superior. Our reservations were for 8:30pm, but we arrived at 7:00pm. After checking in, we were able to secure a table at 8:00pm. Thanks to the staff for getting us a table in a timely manner. Scott, our waiter, was great. He was very friendly and professional. Our food and drink were exactly as ordered, and was served without delay.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/21/2014Consistently good with a very well priced wine listSpecial Features:
- Never DisappointsDee07Dined on 9/21/2014Hostess was friendly. Waiter helpful, friendly upbeat. Food was AMAZING AND DELICIOUSSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeatingJfrmthabayDined on 9/20/2014My reservation was for 9:30pm On a Saturday night they sat me at 9:30pm I really liked thatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/20/2014We live in Santa Rosa and make special trips just to eat here. We have never had a bad meal. Pricing is fair, food is outstanding and service is great. If you do not like prime rib stay home because that is what they do here.Special Features:
- amazingdevineDined on 9/20/2014House of prime rib is by far the best place to eat. The prices are reasonable and the prime rib is the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nicht zu viel versprochen!ReisenderDined on 9/18/2014Kannte das Restaurant aus Erzählungen und nicht zuletzt aus einem Bericht von Anthony Bourdain. Die Qualität des Fleisches ist sehr gut, letztlich ist es aber die Darbietung und das gesamte Paket, welches einen Besuch im House of Prime Rib so lohnenswert machen! Nicht zuletzt sollte erwähnt werden, dass der Creamed Spinach ein absoluter Leckerbissen ist, auf den man keinesfalls verzichten sollte. -Portionen reichen von "small" (ca. 250 g) bis "King Cut" (ca. 800 g mit Knochen) -Preis-Leistungs-Verhältnis: perfekt, alle Beilagen wie Salat, versch. Kartoffeln, Spinat, etc. !Special Features:
- Good foodSusieDined on 9/18/2014Great food and service. Worth the money. The best prime rib in town. This is a must for friends and families visiting San FranciscoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- prime rib not so primedear66Dined on 9/17/2014we felt the prime rib was undercooked and hard to chew and quite a few bits of unchewable bits of meat i had to spit out.. so disappointing marin joes has way better prime rib the salad was limp and the dressing soaked weirdly into the lettuce fantastic BREAD mash pot and gravy and the pudding bread tasty our waiter was nice and fun but snubbed us when we left because i think he expected a bigger tip than 20 percent because they give you a photo of yourself dinning..
- Never disappointedJackNVDined on 9/17/2014The gem of SF dining. Consistent, classy, delicious. Helpful, freindly staff without being over bearing, borish or attitude-y. I just LOVE IT there!Special Features:
- Quality has changedDrKrisDined on 9/16/2014We have been dining here for many, many years. Our last 2 visits have been disappointing. The salad has been "over dressed" with very limp, not fresh lettuce. This time it was not edible. We ordered the large cut of prime rib medium rare. One was cooked perfectly, the other almost raw & chewy, not the quality of beef they used to serve. The tables & booths were so close together that the servers & busboy bumped our table a couple times. The noise level was almost too much to bear. We won't be returning.Special Features:
- disappointingaskedtoreviewDined on 9/16/2014My husband and I have been fans. We have dined there for a long long time and have put up with the sullen door staff and cattle like atmosphere because the food was so good. This past time, the meat was tough, the salad was overly salty and dry ( lacked dressing). When the food is no longer good, it is hard to tolerate the abrupt attitude of the door and to have waiters constantly passing plates above your back and shoulders.
- San Francisco's BestAileenDined on 9/16/2014I've been going to this restaurant for over 40 years and never had a bad meal there. Everything is still the same. It has the best prime rib.Special Features:
- a classic never diesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/16/2014Our server was great, timed our meal perfectly and was attentive. Food was just as good as I remember from 10 years ago. drinks are strong and well priced, especially for SF. I see nothing that needs to change with this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it's an institutionChowHoundVIPDined on 9/15/2014There's a reason why the House of Prime Rib is an institution. The prime rib and sides are always excellent! The service is professional and friendly. The enviroment is old world with the stainless steel carts rolled to your table, the prime rib is cut and served tableside. The cocktails are large and tasty, the wine list is large. We always include a dinner at the House of Prime Rib everytime we get to San Francisco. If you like prime rib, you'll will love HoPR.Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationAnon2Dined on 9/14/2014Great night out for my sons birthday. Food, amazing. Joe our waiter outstanding Service impeccableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must try prime ribYumYumFoodDined on 9/14/2014Got the King Henry cut (even though I can't finish it); the texture and flavor is just to die for. I got it with the baked potato which is GIGANTIC! Cream of spinach and bread pudding is yummy as well. There is plenty of food for the buck. Go hungry!Special Features:
- A legendary placeBasquietDined on 9/14/2014I have been coming here for over 20yrs and have been introducing this experience to family and friends during this time. It is a legendary place in the City!!! The service and the food are second to none. Thanks for always making me and my guests feel special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- benitoDined on 9/14/2014We come from Modesto at least twice yearly to HOPR and really enjoyed the elderly gentleman owner coming around to ask how is everything is going, absent this last visit; however the prime rib is extremely tender!Special Features:
- FantasticHappyDined on 9/13/2014Must go for the prime rib, salad so good, sautéed spinach is wonderful, as is the creamed corn, baked potatoes yummy. Deserts are the best. 5 starsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingjennDined on 9/12/2014I made reservations for my husband's birthday for 8:30pm. They did not seat us until 9:10pm. To me, that is absolutely absurd. I will never go back to this place, nor recommend it to anyone.
- One of our favoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2014As good as the first time. We enjoyed the night with two other couples that have never been. They now understand what we have been raving about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never againDisappointedDined on 9/12/2014Went there for a very special occasion . Booking in advance with you. Was given the worst table in the whole place. Table right next to kitchen in a quarter booth. The worst. Service was mediocre at best. Than after dinner over as we're getting our car from their valet service the give me my keys and say to get my own CAR. Are u kidding ME.... Well that's it.