House of Prime Rib
1906 Van Ness Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
House of Prime Rib
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://houseofprimerib.net/
- Phone: 4158854605
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant can accommodate large parties. Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Management 4158854605
A word from House of Prime Rib
62 years of loyal customers can't be wrong. We are grateful to all of our customers, employees, and critics (...though we may not always agree!). The only way to find out the truth is with a visit. Oft imitated, never duplicated. Thank you in advance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
House of Prime Rib - Best Restaurants in Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness ›
House of Prime Rib reviews from OpenTable diners
675 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
special occasion (507)good for groups (300)fit for foodies (235)notable wine list (209)romantic (198)neighborhood gem (166)hot spot (137)vibrant bar scene (83)kid-friendly (73)late-night find (35)great for lunch (11)great for brunch (7)great for outdoor dining (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- Nicht zu viel versprochen!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014Kannte das Restaurant aus Erzählungen und nicht zuletzt aus einem Bericht von Anthony Bourdain. Die Qualität des Fleisches ist sehr gut, letztlich ist es aber die Darbietung und das gesamte Paket, welches einen Besuch im House of Prime Rib so lohnenswert machen! Nicht zuletzt sollte erwähnt werden, dass der Creamed Spinach ein absoluter Leckerbissen ist, auf den man keinesfalls verzichten sollte. -Portionen reichen von "small" (ca. 250 g) bis "King Cut" (ca. 800 g mit Knochen) -Preis-Leistungs-Verhältnis: perfekt, alle Beilagen wie Salat, versch. Kartoffeln, Spinat, etc. !Special Features:
- prime rib not so primeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014we felt the prime rib was undercooked and hard to chew and quite a few bits of unchewable bits of meat i had to spit out.. so disappointing marin joes has way better prime rib the salad was limp and the dressing soaked weirdly into the lettuce fantastic BREAD mash pot and gravy and the pudding bread tasty our waiter was nice and fun but snubbed us when we left because i think he expected a bigger tip than 20 percent because they give you a photo of yourself dinning..
- Never disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/17/2014The gem of SF dining. Consistent, classy, delicious. Helpful, freindly staff without being over bearing, borish or attitude-y. I just LOVE IT there!Special Features:
- Quality has changedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/16/2014We have been dining here for many, many years. Our last 2 visits have been disappointing. The salad has been "over dressed" with very limp, not fresh lettuce. This time it was not edible. We ordered the large cut of prime rib medium rare. One was cooked perfectly, the other almost raw & chewy, not the quality of beef they used to serve. The tables & booths were so close together that the servers & busboy bumped our table a couple times. The noise level was almost too much to bear. We won't be returning.Special Features:
- disappointingaskedtoreviewDined on 9/16/2014My husband and I have been fans. We have dined there for a long long time and have put up with the sullen door staff and cattle like atmosphere because the food was so good. This past time, the meat was tough, the salad was overly salty and dry ( lacked dressing). When the food is no longer good, it is hard to tolerate the abrupt attitude of the door and to have waiters constantly passing plates above your back and shoulders.
- San Francisco's BestAileenDined on 9/16/2014I've been going to this restaurant for over 40 years and never had a bad meal there. Everything is still the same. It has the best prime rib.Special Features:
- a classic never diesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/16/2014Our server was great, timed our meal perfectly and was attentive. Food was just as good as I remember from 10 years ago. drinks are strong and well priced, especially for SF. I see nothing that needs to change with this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it's an institutionChowHoundVIPDined on 9/15/2014There's a reason why the House of Prime Rib is an institution. The prime rib and sides are always excellent! The service is professional and friendly. The enviroment is old world with the stainless steel carts rolled to your table, the prime rib is cut and served tableside. The cocktails are large and tasty, the wine list is large. We always include a dinner at the House of Prime Rib everytime we get to San Francisco. If you like prime rib, you'll will love HoPR.Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationAnon2Dined on 9/14/2014Great night out for my sons birthday. Food, amazing. Joe our waiter outstanding Service impeccableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must try prime ribOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/14/2014Got the King Henry cut (even though I can't finish it); the texture and flavor is just to die for. I got it with the baked potato which is GIGANTIC! Cream of spinach and bread pudding is yummy as well. There is plenty of food for the buck. Go hungry!Special Features:
- A legendary placeBasquietDined on 9/14/2014I have been coming here for over 20yrs and have been introducing this experience to family and friends during this time. It is a legendary place in the City!!! The service and the food are second to none. Thanks for always making me and my guests feel special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- benitoDined on 9/14/2014We come from Modesto at least twice yearly to HOPR and really enjoyed the elderly gentleman owner coming around to ask how is everything is going, absent this last visit; however the prime rib is extremely tender!Special Features:
- FantasticHappyDined on 9/13/2014Must go for the prime rib, salad so good, sautéed spinach is wonderful, as is the creamed corn, baked potatoes yummy. Deserts are the best. 5 starsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingjennDined on 9/12/2014I made reservations for my husband's birthday for 8:30pm. They did not seat us until 9:10pm. To me, that is absolutely absurd. I will never go back to this place, nor recommend it to anyone.
- One of our favoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2014As good as the first time. We enjoyed the night with two other couples that have never been. They now understand what we have been raving about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never againDisappointedDined on 9/12/2014Went there for a very special occasion . Booking in advance with you. Was given the worst table in the whole place. Table right next to kitchen in a quarter booth. The worst. Service was mediocre at best. Than after dinner over as we're getting our car from their valet service the give me my keys and say to get my own CAR. Are u kidding ME.... Well that's it.
- They should be ashamedGMBargeDined on 9/12/2014We dined there for our 33rd Anniversary (and the restaurant knew it). We were nonetheless seated next to the very, very busy restroom There was a constant flow of employees and guests just behind me and that was very distracting. It could have been worse if they had placed the table inside of the restroom The food was good quality and well-prepared but the overall experience was not even acceptable in a chain, fast food restaurant. The overall noise level was very high. The service felt factory-like and not what you might expect from a restaurant that costs this much. Needless to say, we will not be back. Since the food itself was good, you may be tempted to go there. Please be aware and do not go there for a special occasion.
- Outstanding Place to Eatdining4inSFDined on 9/12/2014This was our first time ever at House of Prime Rib and from the moment we walked in we knew we were in a fine restaurant. We were seated in a most comfortable booth toward the back of the restaurant. We had a great waiter and he tossed our delicious salad in front of us. The prime rib was brought over in a large heated cart and sliced in front of our table. It was excellent! The baked potato was huge and we enjoyed the corn and spinach dishes as well. Took our left-overs in nice bright red bags. No room for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulsflondongalDined on 9/12/2014Love this place! Celebrated the parents' 50th wedding anniversary there this week.Special Features:
- A ClassictwinningDined on 9/12/2014My husband and I love it here. We brought out 3 year old twins for a special occasion. The staff was great to them, I recommend to anyone who is a meat eater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinerVIPDined on 9/12/2014Loved our experience at this very special landmark restaurant. Best part - the service by our outstanding waiter Scott. Everything he did was perfection personified. So professional, so knowledgeable and nicely done all over. Special kudos for a job well done. We were absolutely bowled over by the outstanding prime rib and assorted sides.Special Features:
- Nothing but Prime RibMelsgarDined on 9/12/2014The restaurant was very busy; our table was much too crowded. We were a party of 6 at a table for 4. The music was too loud so that added to the noise level. Although the restaurant was primarily Prime rib it would have been nice to have more choices for sides. There was only one type of salad and it was weak. The service was great and so were the desserts. The Prime rib was good but not outstanding.Special Features:
- SF Icon. Excellent Food & ServiceSLCFoodieFriendDined on 9/11/2014The prime rib was perfect as was the drink list (classic old fashioned's and martinis), and the service. A San Francisco icon and a must for anyone wanting an authentic SF dining experience reminiscent of the "good ol' days".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous As Usual!MichaelTDined on 9/11/2014The House of Prime Rib offers consistent great food and service. My only reservation is that I eat way too much and end up feeling guilty about the calorie bomb. Other than that, the place is vibrant, friendly, consistent and feels "like the good ole' days."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TraditionOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/11/2014Dining at House of Prime Rib has become an annual tradition for my adult son's birthday. We always ask if he would like to try someplace new but he can't bear to miss out on the prime rib dinner there. If we lived in the City we would probably go more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sfhulagirlDined on 9/11/2014Food was perfect for the carnevours in our party. Service was great!!!Special Features:
- Absolutely wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/10/2014I had some friends from Europe visiting and they like Prime Rib so where else would you go? Well we went and they were absolutely amazed at the service (the team work of all the staff) and they especially loved the Prime Rib!Special Features:
- If it aint broke dont fix it!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/9/2014The House of Prime Rib is not only the best place for a prime rib dinner in SF or all of the Nor Cal because the food is over the top amazing, but also because the service and hospitality is old school like you just don't find any more! The multi course meal that is more than the biggest eater could handle and can be customized for smaller appetites too. The presentation of the food and the outstanding service is what makes it memorable. My father has been going there for over forty years and I have been going there for over twenty five years so needless to say its a tradition. With most of all the old school good restaurants shut down now a days this is a gem I hope NEVER goes away. Some places just do one thing, but they do it AMAZINGLY!Special Features:
- Food is so good!NobHillDined on 9/8/2014Food is very good! We satisfied overall experience. But seats are always full and it is difficult to reserve in recent days.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 9/8/2014I have been coming since 1970, and it just keeps getting better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very DisappointedDLIGHTFULDINERDined on 9/7/2014Visiting my daughter and son in law I was told to take my son in law here to celebrate obtaining his Phd and his love for prime rib I wanted it to be special I was told getting a reservation would be difficult since they are booked 10 months out. We were able to get a 9:30 pm seating they seat until 10pm. We were excited to go. Our waiter treated us like we made him stay after work. Literally throwing stuff on table, spoke so fast we had to keep saying "pardon me" can you repeat that, asked for water did not bring it had to flag down a busman and ask and he did bring it, asked our waiter for more water and he NEVER brought it. He was more concerned about doing his end of night tasks than taking care of us. Very disappointed.Special Features:
- All That Meatnw6jDined on 9/6/2014Excellent experience. Made my reservation about 3 weeks prior and our table was ready as soon as we arrived. Our server (Josh) was great. Being first-timers, he walked us through the process. Meat was super tender and juicy. If you are a carnivore, this place is perfect. Baked potato was super loaded with all the goodies. But the creamed spinach could use a little more flavor. And the bread pudding? What was that. Salad was excellent, too. And having a valet was just great. I'd come back.Special Features:
- Nom nom globChasingdanDined on 9/6/2014Once again this place gets prime rib right!!!! Best I've ever had. And 8pm on a Saturday, the loud noise level was to be expected, it was a great atmosphere. Ordering was fast and easy, but trying to receive our check was the only lacking part of it. Our waiter kept walking past or just too quick glances didn't see the to-go leftovers on the table. Also, the bust-boys were great! Love them! All of us were praising them for attending to our drinks and if we would like seconds. Thanks guys!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/6/2014Been coming here for 30 years & still LOVE IT! We have all our family special occasions there. HIGHLY recommend it !! Even the salmon (yes they have fish) is great!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Francisco TraditionfoodieDined on 9/6/2014Service & food does not disappoint. As great as it ever was. Little disappointed that they did not offer seconds any more or to take pictures as they had in past years.Special Features:
- Worth the HypeJakesMomDined on 9/6/2014Always been told I had to try this place in SF and finally made it happen for my sons 18th birthday. They handled a party of 8 easily and the food was consistently delicious. Would recommend to any and all meat lovers out there. Make reservations for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gotta try, several time!HaiYaDoinDined on 9/4/2014Great food. Though out of the 4 of us, one cut was a bit chewy and could've been replaced, but the taste was so good we didn't have to. My palette is more on the bland side with a love for spices. The Prime Rib itself was perfect, sweet and juicy. The sides were a bit salty for me, but tasty! If you've never tried and love prime rib, it's a must. Only problem is getting a seat. Very popular. On a Thursday night, there was a gathering outside by 8:30 and people still being seated by 10! It's worth it. Don't eat all your salad. Pace yourself and save your taste buds for the prime rib!Special Features:
- Just a little stuck up...LaureenDined on 9/3/2014We called stuck in traffic and was told that they'd hold the table only 15 minutes. (Not a big deal, we made it on time but the restaurant wasn't that busy) We were seated right away and served by an attractive and energetic young lady. She was good but tried to rush us through and was a bit arrogant. We'd ask for something specific and it was either ignored or let us know That's the way things are done here and we don't apologize for it. It felt like we didn't matter and very routine. It was my husbands birthday with no mention to it at all. We had fun, despite the slight, because of our company. Overall, a poor experience from the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HoPROpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/3/2014always a good time at the HoPR. Meat was tasty and the experience was fun.Special Features:
- Fantastic...Hampshire79Dined on 9/2/2014My husband and I had an amazing evening here. Great service, lively ambience, amazing steak - some of the best we have had which is saying something! Definitely recommend it, a must go to.Special Features: