House of Prime Rib
1906 Van Ness Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
House of Prime Rib
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://houseofprimerib.net/
- Phone: 4158854605
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant can accommodate large parties. Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Management 4158854605
A word from House of Prime Rib
62 years of loyal customers can't be wrong. We are grateful to all of our customers, employees, and critics (...though we may not always agree!). The only way to find out the truth is with a visit. Oft imitated, never duplicated. Thank you in advance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
House of Prime Rib - Best Restaurants in Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness ›
House of Prime Rib reviews from OpenTable diners
684 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
special occasion (508)good for groups (303)fit for foodies (228)notable wine list (210)romantic (192)neighborhood gem (155)hot spot (152)vibrant bar scene (87)kid-friendly (71)late-night find (40)great for lunch (13)great for brunch (12)great for outdoor dining (6)scenic view (2)Show More
- Good, but could be betterHurricaneVIPDined on 8/27/2014The haughtiness of the maître d' was very off-putting. The food is good and so is the service, but the noise level is much to loud to really enjoy a relaxed evening.
- First timeRetiredFoodieVIPDined on 8/27/2014Our daughter had been to House of Prime Rib with her work crew and always raved about it. Well, we understand why. The food was DELICIOUS. Tastiest and Juiciest and Moistest Prime Rib ever. We celebrated my husband's birthday there but I'm sure we will be going back whenever we are in the mood for Prime Rib.Special Features:
- House of Prime Rib is excellent!GinaDined on 8/27/2014This is my second time visiting HPR and it has not disappointed me. Staff are so friendly and accommodating. Food is delicious. I had the House of Prime Rib cut and my husband had the King cut. Mashed potatoes and creamed spinach were delicious! Everything from the service to the food to the ambiance was perfect for me and I enjoyed every part of my dining experience at HPR. I will definitely visit again!Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/27/2014Because my husband had not eaten there for several years and remembered it as being outstanding, we made our reservations. It was overcrowded and noisy. A family with very young children were seated right next to us. Their salad was so awful we didn't eat it. The creamed spinach wasn't very good either, we've definitely had much better. I had halibut which was very good. My husband had the Henry VIII cut and his was very good as well. But we've had as good and better prime rib close to home.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/26/2014Great place to eat. The Prime rib is cooked to perfection and prepared right at your table. The salad is magical. They have a secret, addictive, dressing that you will not be able to stop eating. Wonderful ambiance. Only complaint is that we has a 7pm reservation and had to wait about 30 minutes to be seated and we requested a booth in our early reservation and we were seated at a table with a chair and half booth. We were told if we wanted to wait for a booth it would take an hour or more.Special Features:
- Can't wait to go back!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2014This was my first time eating at House of Prime Rib and let me tell you that I will be going back - as soon as I can get a reservation!! I worked in a restaurant for over 10 years and this was by far my best dinning experience EVER! Food was outstanding, wine list was amazing and our service was incredible! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Like Prime Rib? this is the place.AsmkeetrDined on 8/26/2014While not the cheapest venue in Town, for the meal you get...and the quality of the prime rib, you can't go wrong! Drinks? Yeah...they aren't too cheap either...but you get the shaker to your table and probably get a total of 1 3/4 drinks out of it. This is our go to spot for special occasions.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/26/2014Keep on doing what you do so well and every single customer will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2014Be prepared for a lot of noise! It was so noisy, it kinda ruined our dining experience. Try to get the area in the far back. I think it would help a lot, especially if you are dining with more than one person and want everyone to participate in the conversation. The food is good, but go hungry as the portions are huge! The only choices you have are the type of cut of prime rib, whether to have baked or mashed potato and creamed spinach or creamed corn. Recommend the baked..just get the toppings on the side. The potato gets buried under sour cream, chives and/or bacon you may order. The salad is delicious. The meat is juicy and tender. The wine list is reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Salad, simple and YUM. Prime rib was like butter! Creamed spinach with Bacon, need I say more!Special Features:
- House FOR Prime RibOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014There is no better place for prime rib! This is our favorite special occasion restaurant. We know the food will be delicious, service is always superior, consistency this restaurant is ALWAYS great and special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still GreatloreeDined on 8/24/2014Hs. of Prime Rib is still our "to go place" for special occasions, but didn't look that way to other people. We were appalled by the people in shorts and t-shirts and others were holding and using their cell phones the entire dinner. It made for a nice dinner watching other people! We had two twenty-somethings with us, but they dressed appropriately and didn't even look at their phones. Please don't let the service be compromised by such un mannerly guests. We will continue to come here because we love tradition!Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014As always a wonderful evening. Love this place. A sister location in the Elk Grove area would be wonderful.Special Features:
- Great service!RenDDined on 8/23/2014We were a party of nine in the middle of a very crowded dining room, but the service was seamless and the atmosphere very celebratory. The roast and all the sides were as good as I remembered it to be many years ago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2Tucson2TucsonDined on 8/23/2014Resv. was for 5:00, not seated until 5:30. We were seated at the kitchen entrance. The A/ C in that area was not functioning. It was downright hot! Having made the resv. 3 months in advance, we were very disappointed. The prime rib was excellent as always as was the wait staff! Next time, we'll request a specific room!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always great!DarmokDined on 8/23/2014Been coming here for years and it's always great! My favorite place for special occasions and taking visitors.Special Features:
- TimelessSouthPawStyle124Dined on 8/23/2014HOPR is a timeless treasure for San Franciscans and her visitors. The old-school tableside service of salad and prime rib are a nice touch and complement the excellent flavors of the salad, sides, and of course the prime rib. The menu is spartan, but whatever is sacrificed in quantity is more than made up in a commitment to doing your specialty right. The desserts are great, especially the Fantasy Cake, and the wine list is extensive and full of great finds.Special Features:
- Be thankful if you are a carnivoreMonkeyfightclubDined on 8/22/2014You've heard of this place. Even my cousin visiting from Hong Kong has heard of the House of Prime Rib. It's lives up to every bit of its reputation. It was my first time here despite living in SF for 14 years. The prime rib was fantastic, perfection. Something you can't duplicate at home unless you buy your cuts of beef in 100lb orders. The sides were great and complimented the beef show. A great place for a large group, very comfortable ambiance, attentive service, and nothing rushed.Special Features:
- best prime ribjquanDined on 8/22/2014if you like prime rib, the best in the city, always good and the price is right. better make reservations. always crowded.Special Features:
- fantastic experienceprimeribloverDined on 8/21/2014The food and service are excellent here. Even though we need to wait for an hour, it is totally worthwhile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise,noise,noise!Mbk333VIPDined on 8/21/2014Food--meat, excellent, huge portions. Very fine, accomodating service. The roar of noise made for an uncomfortable evening. This was miserable dining. We were shouting at each other. It doesn't seem to stop the throngs clambering to get in. We will never go back.Special Features:
- Family ReunionChanman5623Dined on 8/21/2014This place is a favorite of mine. I had family visiting from Hong Kong and wanted them to try HOPR. The staff was atentative as always. Consensus was that everything was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- san francisco's finest prime ribsFungsrusDined on 8/21/2014Never a dull moment and any carnivore's delight. Reservations are mandatory. We came from three valleys and a bridge away and it was definitely well worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HOPR RocksbigALDined on 8/20/2014Always a great meal with great service at the House of Prime Rib! You made my daughters 13th birthday very special.Special Features:
- HE LEFT HIS HEART AT THE HOP IN SFOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014THE FOOD WAS OUTSTANDING. I TOOK MY FRIEND THERE FOR THE FRIST TIME AND HE WAS IN LOVE WITH THE HOUSE OF PRIME RIB. HE SAID THE PRIME RIB WAS THE BEST HE EVER HAD. HE ALSO TURN 70 A FEW DAYS BEFORE. SO HAS BEEN TO MANY PLACES AND YOU ARE NUMBER 1 IN HIS BOOKSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- charmingdudeDined on 8/20/2014Been eating at House Of Prime Rib for decades the food and service are always outstanding. Best prime rib you will ever find. The spun salad is a treat and we always puchase and take home extra bottles of the salad dressing and the rib spice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal but wait too longOnlythebestspotsVIPDined on 8/19/2014The food was delicious as always. However, we had to wait 35 minutes for a table even WITH a reservation! Not cool at all.Special Features:
- NEVER FAILS TO DISSAPOINTMelaniiexpDined on 8/19/2014I've been coming here since I was very younge and honestly this place never fails to dissapoint. The food was amazing and our server was lovely. The only thing I can say is that the plates use to be served hot with your meat so that your meat would be hot as you continued to eat it. The bread is always my favorite part and that use to be served hot as well so that the butter would be melted on it nicely. Other than that the prime rib was especially great that day and I will continue to come here! (:Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A San Francisco FavoriteHawaiianTravelersDined on 8/18/2014I grew up in SF and remember eating at House of Prime Rib throughout the years. Always a special treat. Now that I live outside California I recommend it to people who ask me where to eat in SF. It seems to get better and this recent visit was exceptionally good.Special Features:
- RobbnJohnDined on 8/18/2014good waiter(SCOTT) excellent food, very good wine list, very attentive staff but not overbearing. Always a good experience always a first choice when bring someone to the City for a fine diningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get your prime rib fixBnoehrDined on 8/18/2014If you crave prime rib, this is the place for you. You can get any kind of cut to the wellness you desire. Salad, sides, bread make for a Thanksgiving sized meal. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reasonable, very good dinnerJJJJDined on 8/17/2014This restaurant is an institution. You have virtually no choice. You are "processed" quickly, but not rushed. The service is pleasant and attentive. The roast beef is, of course, very good. I was very disappointed with the salad, which wasn't cold and comes with a kid's Russian dressing (no choice). Controlling for quality, the price is very reasonable--an entire dinner for about $40-$45 a person (before tax and drinks).
- Great place for a special night!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014We have always cone to The House of Prime Rib for family gatherings on special occasions and we are always thrilled with the entire experience. Went back after 5 years out of state and loved it just as much. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Great experienceLizardDined on 8/17/2014The service here was excellent. The food was great. I enjoyed the rustic ambience. My only qualm was I was not aware of the cost of valet and that it was cash only. I would have preferred to pay for the valet with my dinner bill so that I didn't have to run to an ATM across the street and pay $3.95 in fees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014We brought our friends from New Orleans (they have great food there too), they were amazed with the whole experience. They couldn't believe the service from the gentlemen who seated us to the waiter who took our plates. It was amazing as always. They loved the wine menu, then the food. They said over and over how good it was how tender the meat was. Thanks for yet another wonderful meal and true San Francisco experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family CelebrationFatfoodieDined on 8/16/2014After watching Anthony Bourdain's show, we had to go. There were six of us. The table was roomy. The food was excellent. The creamed spinach was outstanding. The expect a doggy bag and have dedicated baggers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My 1st choice for spec'l occassionJohnnyJoe1945Dined on 8/16/2014Prime rib or prime rib...what a choice, That's why we keep coming back!! Had a new server Sat evening, he was very energetic and kept checking on us, just enough so when I needed extra au jus or that special horse radish it was perfect timing. Great job Scott!! Can't wait for my wife's birthday end of January!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappyhappyhappyDined on 8/16/2014Friendly atmosphere and excellent service. The ribs were delicious and the creme brûlée melt in your mouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love the meat wagons!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014From the super-nice staff who greet you, to the chilled salad forks and heated plates, delicious salad, and the best beef you will ever taste, House of Prime Rib is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodAdamUVIPDined on 8/14/2014Have been to HoPR many times. Food was excellent as always. We had a new server. He was very nice, but forgot a couple items... It was not the end of the world. Still had a great time. HoPR is consistent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.