House of Prime Rib
1906 Van Ness Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
House of Prime Rib
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://houseofprimerib.net/
- Phone: 4158854605
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant can accommodate large parties. Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Management 4158854605
A word from House of Prime Rib
62 years of loyal customers can't be wrong. We are grateful to all of our customers, employees, and critics (...though we may not always agree!). The only way to find out the truth is with a visit. Oft imitated, never duplicated. Thank you in advance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
House of Prime Rib - Best Restaurants in Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness ›
House of Prime Rib reviews from OpenTable diners
704 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
special occasion (533)good for groups (338)fit for foodies (260)notable wine list (221)romantic (199)neighborhood gem (179)hot spot (145)vibrant bar scene (93)kid-friendly (74)late-night find (32)great for lunch (9)great for brunch (6)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014I took clients from out ouf town and they raved about the experince.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just say Meat!OneshtchiDined on 10/27/2014Still just as fun. The Prime rib is fantastic! I love the fact you can only chose between prime rib thin sliced, med sliced, and caveman bone in style! Had a martini, it was really well done!Special Features:
- Too rushedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/27/2014We were in and out within an hour! Server rushed everything, even cleaning the table thought he was going to fling the utensils in our face... Food was great service was off that night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/26/2014the mashed potato and spinach was to salty for my husband. Better choice would have been the baked potato, It would nice to have the sauce on the side instead for drowning the rib steak in it. the salad was boring. Please up grade the salad to spring mix and arugula, red onions. cherry tomato,beets, creamy vinaigrette dressingSpecial Features:
- Birthday dinner gone awesome!MrsBusyBeeVIPDined on 10/25/2014Loved it. I can't wait to return there! The service was great and the food was perfection. I don't eat red meat usually but I definitely would recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome as alwaysITSACHEUNGDined on 10/25/2014loved it here before and still love it here :) can never go wrong with prime rib :PSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014Great old world charm. Prime Rib carts need a major overhaul NOT duct tape.Special Features:
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014I go to House of Prime Rib several times a year. It is always a great experience. The one thing that always surprises me is that even though i have been there several times i am still amazed by how delicious the prime rib is. It is not very often when you go to a place know what to expect and are still amazed that you are getting is even better than what you expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASTIC PRIME RIB DINNER!HappyDinerDined on 10/24/2014When we arrived for our reservation we were seated immediately. Shortly thereafter Aaron, our waiter, arrived at our table explaining the menu and taking our drink order. We ordered our meals and it was a culinary adventure from then on. From the spinning of the savory salad, to the cutting of the prime rib, we were delighted with the "show". But, even better than the "show" was the mix of flavors; The most delicious prime rib we've ever had, the absolute smoothest, butteriest, mashed potatoes anywhere, a tasty creamed spinach with bacon, and a perfect Yorkshire pudding with au jus. The service was exceptional, and the food was just this side of Heaven. Outside of the loud din from the crowd, I gave every other category a five.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday food funhbhalogirlDined on 10/24/2014Prime rib was excellent. Salad was yummy too. Spinach was just OK. Excellent creme brulee. Will go again! We were seated right away. We all commented the wait for our food was minimal probably because the meat is already cooked and in the carts.Special Features:
- Beef HeavenSRCHEF79Dined on 10/24/2014House of Prime Rib is the Beef Meca. From its presentation to the size, to the taste, you won't find a better place to enjoy a beautiful cut of Prime Rib. Oh and you can't go wrong when you throw in Yorkshire PuddingsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Prime in SFOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/22/2014Perfectly aged and cooked! The extra slice hit the spot!Special Features:
- First TimerjfulgencioDined on 10/22/2014Excellent atmosphere and great customer service! Definitely a place to take someone or a group for some good food once or twice a year.Special Features:
- Great foodjoewDined on 10/22/2014The food was excellent. The only exception was the decaf coffee, tasted burnt or was brewed hours ago.Special Features:
- Special eveningEnjoygreatfoodDined on 10/22/2014It was so much fun! It is a special place.. From the time we were greeted by the valet to a fun time in the bar to all the servers the food and the whole experience were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was poorECW123Dined on 10/21/2014We went to this restaurant before and was very surprised that the service was below standard. Our waitress was sloppy while she was preparing the salad for us. She left a piece of lettuce hanging off the plate when she served us the salad. The table was uneven & she didn't really try to fix it and blamed it on the floor being uneven. My husband asked for second round of prime rib. She told us that there were 2 tables ahead of us so we needed to wait. We didn't receive the attention we needed; felt like being rushed out. We complained to the manager on our way out. Very disappointed and our Wedding Anniversary celebration was ruined by poor service.Special Features:
- Old timey charm with great foodSushiLoverVIPDined on 10/21/2014Saw this on one of Anthony Bourdain's shows and it looked like a clubby atmosphere from the 1930s. Lived up to and surpassed my expectations. Prime rib was perfectly prepared, baked potato was huge with lots of condiments. Only complaint my husband had was the salad wasn't as fresh as it should be with some of the lettuce a little wilted. We arrived early and waited at the bar, where we received outstanding service from the efficient and friendly bar tender. Our waiter at the table, Scott, was friendly and fast. If we ever get back to San Francisco we'll visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food.fatima54Dined on 10/21/2014Fabulous food and outstanding cocktails. Waiters are very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Prime Rib in TownHouseDined on 10/21/2014Service was excellent and attentive and the prime rib was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Calgary beef lovergreatPRDined on 10/21/2014The prime rib at this place is amazing. The portion size is very generous and they will cut you another slice if you are not full at the end.they allow you to bring your own wine with a crckage charge which works out great if you are returning from any of the vlose wine areas. You must like prime rib because that is all they serve.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good was very good as alwaysSoupLadyDined on 10/21/2014I dine at The House of Prime Rib at least once a year. I always enjoy the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thee Best Beef In TownAudraDined on 10/20/2014I've eaten at Morton's, Ruth Chris, Harris' and the lot, but nothing beats the House Of Prime Rib.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a great dining experiencechefiraDined on 10/19/2014Like i stated, always a great dining experience for all, great, fast service, quality food, KILLER creamed spinach and how can i forget, perfectly cooked prime rib of beef, wonderful au jus to bathe it in and horseradish for the NOT faint of heart. You guys rock, we will continue to patronize a place that pays attention to its food, service and CUSTOMERS.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, OK SeriviceKeyWestbbDined on 10/19/2014Our food is still as good as it ever was. Service was too slow and a little inefficient this particular night. Still Like the place.Special Features:
- Wonderful prime rib, awful serviceTTinaDined on 10/19/2014We arrived right on time for our reservation and the hostess hardly glanced up as we approached to check in. It took about 15 minutes to get seated, only to find that we'd been given a booth for 4 people that was meant to hold no more than 3 at a time. It took another 10 minutes for us to learn who our waiter was. The waiter was clumsy, non-coherent, and somewhat condescending as we asked for our wine to be opened and put into a decanter. Overall, the meal exceeded our expectations, but the waitstaff left much to be desired. I won't be returning for that reason. I would rather spend a little bit more and go to another steak house in the area with superb service instead.Special Features:
- Best EverCustomerDined on 10/19/2014I've been a prime rib fan my whole life and have always looked forward to the real prime rib as served by The House of Prime Rib in San Francisco. Same is true for their creamed spinach. I'd also add, and I hope the owner doesn't read this, that the prices for the prime rib dinners are a real value. They could charge $60+ for the Henry XIII cut. But they don't. We're booking another reservation for this restaurant in a couple months. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never failsSD0627Dined on 10/19/2014Love going to House of Prime rib whenever I am up in San Francisco. Dex was our waiter who was very attentive, helpful, and cool to talk to. Food was absolute greatness. Portions was great. After running the Nike Women Half Marathon 2014; we were starving. The city cut along with the mash potatoes/gravy, and cream of corn was just perfect. Dex suggested a great red wine to go with our meal. Will i come back? Of course. Order the same thing? Absolutely.Special Features:
- Best Prime RibOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/19/2014Took my 16 year old daughter here for the first time. She enjoyed the meal very much, she asked if we can come back soon. This says a lot because we really don't eat often. The wait staff was very attentive and friendly. The prime rib was very tender, we both ordered the medium English cut (you get three thin slices ) . This is the only place to get Prime Rib in the Bay Area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Had an early dinner! Too much good food! Even had leftovers to share the next day. Waiters are attentive even when it's not their table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- will be back soon...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Brought my mom and uncle here for their bdays... first time for all of us and was well worth the drive from sacramento. The service was great and we were seated immediately upon our arrival. The prime rib was excellent, by far the best we have ever had. I plan to bring my husband here soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best primbe ribSuziDined on 10/17/2014We have been here few times a year since 1996. We love their prime rib and salad, they are even bettwr than The Lowry at Las Vegas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lack of warmthYummy1Dined on 10/17/2014In twenty years of dining in this restaurant, my family has never experienced a complete lack of simple service that occurred on October 17TH.Our waiter, Dex, was a mess : rushed service, food dropped on the table during a table side salad service,plates removed before everyone at the table was finished with our meal, a check dropped on our table without being requested.
- DelightfulareyowDined on 10/17/2014I don't think it comes as a surprise to anyone that House of Prime Rib is a classic. Entering HOPR is like taking a small time-travel back to an older, more refined dining lifestyle. The food was fantastic, the drinks were strong, and the decor and atmosphere was exactly what I was hoping for. I expect to have the same experience every time.Special Features:
- 1968 called....ThejissilentDined on 10/17/2014We do a San Fran weekend once a year and the HOPR is always a must do. What it lacks in contemporary decor, it more than makes up for in service, red button tuft nauhgahyde, stiff cocktails and the best prime rib.... anywhere. The rolling stainless steel 'Jetson Family' carving stations are especially timely...Hoot! We had a res at 5 and were seated in the bar at 5:01, dinner at 5:30... sublime. Wine list is good, we had an Estancia cab and it was perfect with the horse duvers and beef. We'll be back next year... Friday at 5.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!AnnieDined on 10/16/2014We love this place! Our parents have been coming here for 60 years- we are excited to keep the tradition! The food is delicious, but the service is especially outstanding!Special Features:
- fantastic food n serviceraiderfanDined on 10/16/2014We had a fantastic time enjoyed the dinner the Prime Rib was delicious n tender everything was well cooked. I had the apple crisp was very tasty, the birthday girl had the bread Pudding was very tasty n the sauce was so good, exelent all aroundSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner. Bad tabledinneroutDined on 10/15/2014We were seated promptly. Our server was very efficient and friendly. Salad has changed a little over the years...I like the old salad preparation better. Prime rib cut was perfect, exactly the way I ordered it. Sides were tasty. Yorkshire pudding splendid. The only downfall to the whole evening was having 4 average size adults squashed into a booth for 2, maybe 3. Very confining and uncomfortable, especially in the leg/feet area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meat Lover's Paradise!CamanadaDined on 10/15/2014Old school service, with excellent food. Possibly the best Manhattan in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meat.EricaDined on 10/15/2014Amazing steaks. Generous portions. Fun and lively ambiance (a little loud so definitely not suited for a quiet, romantic date night).Special Features:
- San Francisco GemBasquietDined on 10/14/2014I have been coming here over 20yrs and the food and service is outstanding. A must place to celebrate the greatness of SF with your family or friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.