House of Prime Rib
1906 Van Ness Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
House of Prime Rib
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://houseofprimerib.net/
- Phone: 4158854605
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant can accommodate large parties. Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Management 4158854605
A word from House of Prime Rib
62 years of loyal customers can't be wrong. We are grateful to all of our customers, employees, and critics (...though we may not always agree!). The only way to find out the truth is with a visit. Oft imitated, never duplicated. Thank you in advance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
House of Prime Rib - Best Restaurants in Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness ›
House of Prime Rib reviews from OpenTable diners
702 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
special occasion (528)good for groups (339)fit for foodies (254)notable wine list (220)romantic (202)neighborhood gem (176)hot spot (143)vibrant bar scene (86)kid-friendly (70)late-night find (34)great for lunch (9)great for brunch (5)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- Best Prime in SFOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/22/2014Perfectly aged and cooked! The extra slice hit the spot!Special Features:
- First TimerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014Excellent atmosphere and great customer service! Definitely a place to take someone or a group for some good food once or twice a year.Special Features:
- Special eveningEnjoygreatfoodDined on 10/22/2014It was so much fun! It is a special place.. From the time we were greeted by the valet to a fun time in the bar to all the servers the food and the whole experience were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was poorOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/21/2014We went to this restaurant before and was very surprised that the service was below standard. Our waitress was sloppy while she was preparing the salad for us. She left a piece of lettuce hanging off the plate when she served us the salad. The table was uneven & she didn't really try to fix it and blamed it on the floor being uneven. My husband asked for second round of prime rib. She told us that there were 2 tables ahead of us so we needed to wait. We didn't receive the attention we needed; felt like being rushed out. We complained to the manager on our way out. Very disappointed and our Wedding Anniversary celebration was ruined by poor service.Special Features:
- Old timey charm with great foodSushiLoverVIPDined on 10/21/2014Saw this on one of Anthony Bourdain's shows and it looked like a clubby atmosphere from the 1930s. Lived up to and surpassed my expectations. Prime rib was perfectly prepared, baked potato was huge with lots of condiments. Only complaint my husband had was the salad wasn't as fresh as it should be with some of the lettuce a little wilted. We arrived early and waited at the bar, where we received outstanding service from the efficient and friendly bar tender. Our waiter at the table, Scott, was friendly and fast. If we ever get back to San Francisco we'll visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food.fatima54Dined on 10/21/2014Fabulous food and outstanding cocktails. Waiters are very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Prime Rib in TownOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014Service was excellent and attentive and the prime rib was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Calgary beef loverOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/21/2014The prime rib at this place is amazing. The portion size is very generous and they will cut you another slice if you are not full at the end.they allow you to bring your own wine with a crckage charge which works out great if you are returning from any of the vlose wine areas. You must like prime rib because that is all they serve.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good was very good as alwaysSoupLadyDined on 10/21/2014I dine at The House of Prime Rib at least once a year. I always enjoy the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thee Best Beef In TownOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/20/2014I've eaten at Morton's, Ruth Chris, Harris' and the lot, but nothing beats the House Of Prime Rib.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a great dining experiencechefiraDined on 10/19/2014Like i stated, always a great dining experience for all, great, fast service, quality food, KILLER creamed spinach and how can i forget, perfectly cooked prime rib of beef, wonderful au jus to bathe it in and horseradish for the NOT faint of heart. You guys rock, we will continue to patronize a place that pays attention to its food, service and CUSTOMERS.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, OK SeriviceKeyWestbbDined on 10/19/2014Our food is still as good as it ever was. Service was too slow and a little inefficient this particular night. Still Like the place.Special Features:
- Wonderful prime rib, awful serviceTTinaDined on 10/19/2014We arrived right on time for our reservation and the hostess hardly glanced up as we approached to check in. It took about 15 minutes to get seated, only to find that we'd been given a booth for 4 people that was meant to hold no more than 3 at a time. It took another 10 minutes for us to learn who our waiter was. The waiter was clumsy, non-coherent, and somewhat condescending as we asked for our wine to be opened and put into a decanter. Overall, the meal exceeded our expectations, but the waitstaff left much to be desired. I won't be returning for that reason. I would rather spend a little bit more and go to another steak house in the area with superb service instead.Special Features:
- Best EverCustomerDined on 10/19/2014I've been a prime rib fan my whole life and have always looked forward to the real prime rib as served by The House of Prime Rib in San Francisco. Same is true for their creamed spinach. I'd also add, and I hope the owner doesn't read this, that the prices for the prime rib dinners are a real value. They could charge $60+ for the Henry XIII cut. But they don't. We're booking another reservation for this restaurant in a couple months. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never failsSD0627Dined on 10/19/2014Love going to House of Prime rib whenever I am up in San Francisco. Dex was our waiter who was very attentive, helpful, and cool to talk to. Food was absolute greatness. Portions was great. After running the Nike Women Half Marathon 2014; we were starving. The city cut along with the mash potatoes/gravy, and cream of corn was just perfect. Dex suggested a great red wine to go with our meal. Will i come back? Of course. Order the same thing? Absolutely.Special Features:
- Best Prime RibOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/19/2014Took my 16 year old daughter here for the first time. She enjoyed the meal very much, she asked if we can come back soon. This says a lot because we really don't eat often. The wait staff was very attentive and friendly. The prime rib was very tender, we both ordered the medium English cut (you get three thin slices ) . This is the only place to get Prime Rib in the Bay Area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Had an early dinner! Too much good food! Even had leftovers to share the next day. Waiters are attentive even when it's not their table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best primbe ribSuziDined on 10/17/2014We have been here few times a year since 1996. We love their prime rib and salad, they are even bettwr than The Lowry at Las Vegas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lack of warmthYummy1Dined on 10/17/2014In twenty years of dining in this restaurant, my family has never experienced a complete lack of simple service that occurred on October 17TH.Our waiter, Dex, was a mess : rushed service, food dropped on the table during a table side salad service,plates removed before everyone at the table was finished with our meal, a check dropped on our table without being requested.
- DelightfulareyowDined on 10/17/2014I don't think it comes as a surprise to anyone that House of Prime Rib is a classic. Entering HOPR is like taking a small time-travel back to an older, more refined dining lifestyle. The food was fantastic, the drinks were strong, and the decor and atmosphere was exactly what I was hoping for. I expect to have the same experience every time.Special Features:
- 1968 called....ThejissilentDined on 10/17/2014We do a San Fran weekend once a year and the HOPR is always a must do. What it lacks in contemporary decor, it more than makes up for in service, red button tuft nauhgahyde, stiff cocktails and the best prime rib.... anywhere. The rolling stainless steel 'Jetson Family' carving stations are especially timely...Hoot! We had a res at 5 and were seated in the bar at 5:01, dinner at 5:30... sublime. Wine list is good, we had an Estancia cab and it was perfect with the horse duvers and beef. We'll be back next year... Friday at 5.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!AnnieDined on 10/16/2014We love this place! Our parents have been coming here for 60 years- we are excited to keep the tradition! The food is delicious, but the service is especially outstanding!Special Features:
- fantastic food n serviceraiderfanDined on 10/16/2014We had a fantastic time enjoyed the dinner the Prime Rib was delicious n tender everything was well cooked. I had the apple crisp was very tasty, the birthday girl had the bread Pudding was very tasty n the sauce was so good, exelent all aroundSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner. Bad tabledinneroutDined on 10/15/2014We were seated promptly. Our server was very efficient and friendly. Salad has changed a little over the years...I like the old salad preparation better. Prime rib cut was perfect, exactly the way I ordered it. Sides were tasty. Yorkshire pudding splendid. The only downfall to the whole evening was having 4 average size adults squashed into a booth for 2, maybe 3. Very confining and uncomfortable, especially in the leg/feet area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meat Lover's Paradise!CamanadaDined on 10/15/2014Old school service, with excellent food. Possibly the best Manhattan in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meat.EricaDined on 10/15/2014Amazing steaks. Generous portions. Fun and lively ambiance (a little loud so definitely not suited for a quiet, romantic date night).Special Features:
- San Francisco GemBasquietDined on 10/14/2014I have been coming here over 20yrs and the food and service is outstanding. A must place to celebrate the greatness of SF with your family or friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatmonkeyhouseDined on 10/14/20143 simple choices. What size of steak? What temperature? Baked or mashed potatoes? simply wonderful. (FYI the best answers are King Cut, Medium rare, baked - with everything on it). amazing prime rib. impeccable service. very accommodating.Special Features:
- Best prime rib but ...TwinkleVIPDined on 10/12/2014We were celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary, but other than good wishes by the hostess, nothing else special happened. The entire service seemed rushed. Salad plate was taken without asking, the main dish (only prime rib on the menu) was served immediately thereafter. It all seemed rather robotic. It could have been a very nice evening, but the chaotic atmosphere convinced us that we probably picked a tourist trap.Special Features:
- DisappointedLindaTDined on 10/12/2014We have dined there many times and this time it was not up to par. While we realize it was the busy Columbus Day holiday weekend, other similar holiday weekends have been much better. When we arrived we asked for a large booth in a certain room - they said "sure no problem" however we were not seated there. We would have accepted "no" or "we can't promise" instead at the beginning. The prime rib was not as wonderful as previously and the server seemed robotic. We will though try it again, passed on past experiences - just not in the immediate future.
- Anniversary Dinner PartyluvgoodfoodDined on 10/11/2014Our party of 7 was promptly seated once everyone arrived at the restaurant. We truly enjoyed having Ryan as our server this past Saturday - he was genuinely gracious and had such a lovely smile. The food, as always, was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OnlySfDined on 10/11/2014Everything to make an evening perfect for a celebration is what HOPR brings. Service is 100% Food is outstanding!!Special Features:
- Phenomenal serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/11/2014Phenomenal service! Quality prime rib and and most flavorful au jus. Get the baked potato, it's a meal by itself. Portions are great and a cute take out bag to take home. Will be back because it ruined all other prime ribs for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyabletheatre2diningDined on 10/11/2014After going to the theatre, it was a wonderful dinner with great service all around to top our day trip to SF. The valet parking was a great start. The waiters and waitresses were very pleasant, and always close at hand for anything needed.Special Features:
- A SF tradition looses its lusterRevMichaelDined on 10/11/2014The wife and I came for our 25 year anniversary with som friends of ours. Kara our server was great. The food has fallen. I returned my meal as it was unacceptable. The replacement meal was the same but I just rolled with it. I have been going to this restaurant since I was a child growing up in the Richmond. Based on this last experience I will not be returning
- Consistently GreatGreatDineDined on 10/10/2014Always consistent for an excellent meal, you'll always know you're getting top-notch food and service at this San Francisco institution. The food was great and so was the serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/9/2014HOPR is always a fun place to go, but the wait is insane. We had reservations and they were still 20+ minutes late! We arrived 45 minutes before our reservation time but the service all around was S-L-O-W.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Prime Rib ever!DebdollDined on 10/9/2014If you want Prime rib, this is the Only place to go. Everything from the salad or choice of potatoes, fresh sourdough bread and of course, prime rib is excellent. You have the choice of four cuts of prime rib and If you don't like prime rib, they make a delicious salmon.Special Features:
- SF ClassicOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/8/2014I have been told to come here for so long just never made it happen. I finally went for a birthday and had a wonderful time. Great drinks, amazing food, and the service is great. Even though the menu is very to the point everything was delicious. The vibe is also great old school classic dining. I would recommend this place to just about anyone.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014Had to wait 25 minutes for our table despite having a reservation but we did enjoy the bar while we waited. It was our anniversary dinner, had hoped for a more romantic table…. we were not tucked away in a cozy booth (made reservations months in advance) Our waiter was great and the food very good (except the salad a little watery) They gave us a complimentary bowl of ice cream for our anniversary and took a picture of us as a gift. The picture was a fabulous idea!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.