House of Prime Rib
1906 Van Ness Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
House of Prime Rib
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://houseofprimerib.net/
- Phone: 4158854605
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant can accommodate large parties. Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Management 4158854605
A word from House of Prime Rib
62 years of loyal customers can't be wrong. We are grateful to all of our customers, employees, and critics (...though we may not always agree!). The only way to find out the truth is with a visit. Oft imitated, never duplicated. Thank you in advance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
House of Prime Rib - Best Restaurants in Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness ›
House of Prime Rib reviews from OpenTable diners
677 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
special occasion (501)good for groups (294)fit for foodies (221)notable wine list (211)romantic (197)neighborhood gem (154)hot spot (144)vibrant bar scene (87)kid-friendly (70)late-night find (39)great for lunch (15)great for brunch (13)great for outdoor dining (5)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great meal but wait too longOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/19/2014The food was delicious as always. However, we had to wait 35 minutes for a table even WITH a reservation! Not cool at all.Special Features:
- NEVER FAILS TO DISSAPOINTOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/19/2014I've been coming here since I was very younge and honestly this place never fails to dissapoint. The food was amazing and our server was lovely. The only thing I can say is that the plates use to be served hot with your meat so that your meat would be hot as you continued to eat it. The bread is always my favorite part and that use to be served hot as well so that the butter would be melted on it nicely. Other than that the prime rib was especially great that day and I will continue to come here! (:Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A San Francisco FavoriteHawaiianTravelersDined on 8/18/2014I grew up in SF and remember eating at House of Prime Rib throughout the years. Always a special treat. Now that I live outside California I recommend it to people who ask me where to eat in SF. It seems to get better and this recent visit was exceptionally good.Special Features:
- RobbnJohnDined on 8/18/2014good waiter(SCOTT) excellent food, very good wine list, very attentive staff but not overbearing. Always a good experience always a first choice when bring someone to the City for a fine diningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get your prime rib fixBnoehrDined on 8/18/2014If you crave prime rib, this is the place for you. You can get any kind of cut to the wellness you desire. Salad, sides, bread make for a Thanksgiving sized meal. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reasonable, very good dinnerJJJJDined on 8/17/2014This restaurant is an institution. You have virtually no choice. You are "processed" quickly, but not rushed. The service is pleasant and attentive. The roast beef is, of course, very good. I was very disappointed with the salad, which wasn't cold and comes with a kid's Russian dressing (no choice). Controlling for quality, the price is very reasonable--an entire dinner for about $40-$45 a person (before tax and drinks).
- Great place for a special night!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014We have always cone to The House of Prime Rib for family gatherings on special occasions and we are always thrilled with the entire experience. Went back after 5 years out of state and loved it just as much. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Great experienceLizardDined on 8/17/2014The service here was excellent. The food was great. I enjoyed the rustic ambience. My only qualm was I was not aware of the cost of valet and that it was cash only. I would have preferred to pay for the valet with my dinner bill so that I didn't have to run to an ATM across the street and pay $3.95 in fees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014We brought our friends from New Orleans (they have great food there too), they were amazed with the whole experience. They couldn't believe the service from the gentlemen who seated us to the waiter who took our plates. It was amazing as always. They loved the wine menu, then the food. They said over and over how good it was how tender the meat was. Thanks for yet another wonderful meal and true San Francisco experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family CelebrationFatfoodieDined on 8/16/2014After watching Anthony Bourdain's show, we had to go. There were six of us. The table was roomy. The food was excellent. The creamed spinach was outstanding. The expect a doggy bag and have dedicated baggers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My 1st choice for spec'l occassionJohnnyJoe1945Dined on 8/16/2014Prime rib or prime rib...what a choice, That's why we keep coming back!! Had a new server Sat evening, he was very energetic and kept checking on us, just enough so when I needed extra au jus or that special horse radish it was perfect timing. Great job Scott!! Can't wait for my wife's birthday end of January!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappyhappyhappyDined on 8/16/2014Friendly atmosphere and excellent service. The ribs were delicious and the creme brûlée melt in your mouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love the meat wagons!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014From the super-nice staff who greet you, to the chilled salad forks and heated plates, delicious salad, and the best beef you will ever taste, House of Prime Rib is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodAdamUVIPDined on 8/14/2014Have been to HoPR many times. Food was excellent as always. We had a new server. He was very nice, but forgot a couple items... It was not the end of the world. Still had a great time. HoPR is consistent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A San Francisco institutionStaceyDePhotoDined on 8/13/2014Always been delicious....great atmosphere, great food, tasty beverages, and wonderful service. Been going here for ages!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummiest prime ribPajamaMamaDined on 8/13/2014I love the meat here. I never get tired of it. We always try to dine here at least once a year. It's always busy and crowded. I think because we had a opening time reservation- this was the fastest service we ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!SashaPronko12Dined on 8/12/2014My boyfriend and I love this spot because of their outstanding food. If you plan on going there you have to make sure that you have a reservation and they will seat you in no time!Special Features:
- Poor serviceFoodlover86Dined on 8/12/2014Our waiter, very heavy French accent, started out okay...but it went downhill after taking our order. Each course took forever...I mean FOREVER and he never made mention of the delays. He never checked back after serving the salad. My friends knife was dirty, she asked him to replace it, he never did. My husband dropped his knife and wanted to ask for a replacement but we didn't see anyone to ask. Our waiter served our entrees but had to be asked multiple times for horseradish. We were halfway through our meal before he brought it out. The only offer for cocktail refills came at the end of our meal. He seemed stressed and unorganized and did NOT communicate well. I have never had this type of service at HOPR ever-COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VERY DISAPPOINTING . . . .DisappointedDinerDined on 8/12/2014Great beef - poor salad, poor dessert - VERY poor service - excessively loud and rowdy non-dining patrons with no intervention by staff. High probability that we will not return. Deficiency on Open table ratings : Noise level should have a choice of offensive or unpleasant.
- san francisco must tryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014Got a bit warm as we were seated next to the fireplace and the noise level was high. However, the food was well worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meat lover's paradiseSamsamDined on 8/11/2014Great meat, good service, perhaps can improve on the salad, nevertheless, was a good experience. Worth trying!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots of beefOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 8/11/2014For years, I intended to go to the House of Prime Rib. It is pretty much a well oiled assembly line machine-only serving prime rib (portion sizes from adequate to gigantic) unless another dish is requested; my daughter requested fish and got halibut which she liked. The food is good but not outstanding. The restaurant site stated business casual dress but customers emphasized the casual part, some wearing shorts and a tee shirt, which takes away from the ambiance for me. The side dishes-salad, creamed spinach, potato also good, not great. My gin martini was excellent. Enjoyed the evening, but will try other venues for my beef fix in the future.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/11/2014It's all in the name. Prime Rib is cooked/seasoned to perfection. You will be fed like royalty, but don't panic at the sight of the portions as they have tableside packaging of your leftovers! Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Awesome prime rib -:)WelovetotrynewplacesDined on 8/10/2014The choice of creamed spinach or creamed corn almost chocked me! Yuck!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SusanDined on 8/10/2014The prime rib was super tender, spinach and corn were creamy, and the chocolate mousse cake was a perfect way to end the evening. I went with my eighteen year old niece who said that this was the best dinner she has ever had in her life. Most of us at the table wasn't too thrilled with the salad because the lettuce was a little soggy and was not crisp.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- House of Prime RibTamalotDined on 8/10/2014This is the place my children (16, 13, 10) want to dine at before school starts, and we were not disappointed. Now that they have adult size appetites, no one has to share anything and they can each order the cut they (English cut and City cut) like with the sides they want. We had cousins of my husband visiting from Belize and they were impressed with the attentiveness of the staff and the quality (and quantity!) of the food. Thank you, House of Prime Rib!Special Features:
- First TimerMarkDined on 8/9/2014Get the Henry Cut! Skip breakfast, lunch, and snacks before coming in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, good pricingKjchoiDined on 8/8/2014The good was great per usual, the prices were pretty decent considering the amount you are getting, it can get a bit noisy since they are always jam packed. The reservation is usually never at when you are scheduled for, usually 10 minutes or more after your scheduled time. The drinks are strong and they give you a lot for what seems like nothing for the cost. The service is a little slow since they are busy and there's a lot for the waitstaff to do at each table, but the service is extremely friendly. The food is fantastic of course, everything is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- True HospitalityWonderfulVIPDined on 8/8/2014Okay, there may be fancier restaurants in SF. And edgier restaurants with some more trendy menus. But one thing I know for sure, there is not another single restaurant in SF that has a waiting line at the door at 5pm on any given night for a table and is then busy all night long. Why? Because the HOPR as we call it delivers on the promise of gracious, genuine hospitality and good food. And drink. The 3 things we all want and deserve when we go out to dinner. When what I want is too feel important and enjoy a wonderful dinner, well this is where I go.
- AmazingSimonDined on 8/7/2014Always a great place to eat. dhjfkhdhdsjhfsjakhfjkashfsjklfhsjklahfsljkahfsakjlhSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prime rib was great, but thats itJenRecommendsVIPDined on 8/7/2014The steak here can't be beat.But thats about it.Creamed corn & creamed spinach as sides?In San Francisco??Come on!This place is a money making machine.The meat is amazing, the rest tastes like buffet food.Cocktails are weak,wine by the glass list, poor.This place is great 4 groups who are most interested in a lot of food for the money,but beyond the meat entree,the food quality is poor(although they do serve Boudins sourdough bread-yum!).If you are a foodie,I'd recommend just the prime rib itself & a baked potato.Bypass the sides & salad,not worth it.Get a straight up cocktail.You will enjoy this meal,if this is your experience.The service is great but I felt like a cog in a very busy,rapidly churning wheel. So don't come looking 4 romance.Special Features:
- Always GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014Have been here many times over the past 20 years. Never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great times at House of Prime RibhellobuttersDined on 8/5/2014I have been dying to go House of Prime Rib forever! And you would think that it's been hyped up so much in my mind I would be disappointed right? NOT AT ALL! My friends and I shared a bottle and each ordered the House of Prime Rib -size. Delicious! The mashed potatoes were heavenly as well! The boys finished their pieces and got seconds (English cut for the 2nd round)! Great times and will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Horrible ServicedaphnemarieDined on 8/4/2014The food and ambience was great as usual, but the service was incredibly horrible. My waitress I had was extremely rude and was literally tossing plates on the table. We had a 9:30 reservation so I can understand if she was having a bad day, but I feel like the service was just horrendous. She forgot our bread, and could care less for what we needed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinnermeg1955Dined on 8/4/2014We arrived about 15 minutes early and were seated right away. The waitress didn't seem too thrilled when I asked to order a drink first - before ordering. The prime rib and creamed spinach were absolutely wonderful (as usual). When we were about finished eating, the busboy started to clear the table without asking. I noticed the bread was gone and he tried to take my potato which I was still eating. When we finally saw the waitress again, I mentioned it to her and she promptly brought another loaf, which we declined - didn't want to cut into a whole one! She never asked if we wanted another serving - which she did with the tables near us.... felt like we were being rushed. But, I would go back.... I really love the food.Special Features:
- Great DinnerAndyDined on 8/4/2014The House of Priime Rib never fails to please. We look forward to dining there ever since our first time back in 1958. The price is much different but the dinner has always, consisrently been excellent. My only objections is the difficultlly in getting a reservation. My family threatens to bury my ashes there.Special Features:
- The BEST prime rib in town!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/3/2014As always, great food & great service. Thanks for accommodating our one year old.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prime RibSeredudeDined on 8/3/2014The best prime rib I have ever had! Excellent service and make sure to make your reservation plenty of time in advance. Only negative is parking but there are spots on the street and they offer valet service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinner :)DEEDEEDined on 8/3/2014Impressive wine list; great food, prime rib was so tender, service was the best. Our waiter Aaron served us as if we were the only people in the restaurant that he had to accommodate. The setting was wonderful, the tables are close to one another, but you still have privacy and noise level is low so you can hear each other speak. Great place to celebrate, very kid friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing special occasionTravelingman76Dined on 8/2/2014We haven't been here for many years;they have improved in one way: it is no longer stifling hot. The food has not improved. the creamed spinach was not creamed, it is hard to describe, but not good. Meat was ok, I ordered an end piece, the waiter warned me it would be dry, and it was. The ambiance was what killed the experience; the place is very noisy, dishes clattering, constant "Happy birthday" singing, loud conversation. Uncomfortable booth seating ( broken down seat cushion). Feeling rushed- eat up, we need the table sort of thing. Place has turned into a tourist trap. Will not return.