House of Prime Rib
1906 Van Ness Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
House of Prime Rib
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://houseofprimerib.net/
- Phone: (415) 885-4605
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant can accommodate large parties. Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Management 4158854605
A word from House of Prime Rib
62 years of loyal customers can't be wrong. We are grateful to all of our customers, employees, and critics (...though we may not always agree!). The only way to find out the truth is with a visit. Oft imitated, never duplicated. Thank you in advance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
House of Prime Rib - Best Restaurants in Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness ›
House of Prime Rib reviews from OpenTable diners
709 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
special occasion (533)good for groups (334)fit for foodies (264)notable wine list (214)romantic (190)neighborhood gem (180)hot spot (148)vibrant bar scene (78)kid-friendly (70)late-night find (31)great for lunch (8)great for outdoor dining (5)great for brunch (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Best foos & waitressOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2014Everything was great the food didn't take for ever to get to us and we had one of the best waitresses she got my boyfriend seconds on the salad that he loves the most important part reason why he loves to go there lol. She was social and not a snoot like the bar waitress that had a funky attitude no Bueno but everything else was 100% on pointSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have enjoyed this pace for 40 years!Romo351Dined on 11/18/2014HPR is our go-to place!! We have been going to the House for 40 years..special occasions and not so special occasions. Never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st Bad Meal HereStormVIPDined on 11/18/2014I'm a regular at the HOPR. Never had a bad meal until yesterday. My end cut which is usually tender and very flavorful was hard to cut, dry and bland. Service was great as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/18/2014If I have a reservation and arrive early- I should not be seated at an afterthought, shoe-horned table 15 minutes after the reservation time. I was with a colleague, and was presented with a table for two with the seats side-by-side. It was wedged against a wall with a large table immediately in front of it. While I sat on the banquet side, they brought a chair so my colleague could sit off to the side. This all the while a couple with no reservation was given a completely proper table ahead of us-- honestly this place isn't nice enough to reward regulars with such accommodation. While the beef was good (though a bit cold?) the salad had soggy limp lettuce & vegetables (obviously old), the spinach was sub-par (just tasted like bland cream) and the Yorkshire pudding arrived anything but crisp. It was lack-luster and devoid of any polish this place might have had in its hey-day. Now just a trough feeding the masses.Special Features:
- Love this place!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/17/2014Best prime rib you can get in San Francisco. You can never go wrong dinning here. It s a great place for a nice date, birthday party, or buisness lunch.Special Features:
- Not the way I remembered.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/17/2014I haven't been here in at least 15 years. Back then you could still have a quiet conversation. That is no longer the case. It is quite loud or "energetic". We had a reservation for 7:30 and were seated at 8:00. The waiter promptly arrived and seemed quite annoyed that we wanted to order a cocktail. Maybe that's what the 1/2 hour wait is supposed to be for. The food was very good and there was plenty of it. I felt somewhat rushed through the entire meal. I took the friend I was staying with in San Francisco as my guest. He wasn't all that impressed either.
- Can't go wrong!Amy1VIPDined on 11/17/2014The food was better than I remember and the service is fast, but great. Be ready to eat a lot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/17/2014We typically only come once a year after an annual work event held in SF. We look forward to it every year! Always a Fantastic Dinner!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RichDined on 11/17/2014This is one of many times at the restaurant. A great place to celebrate special events, bring friends, and entertain out of town guests. Server are normally very friendly and eager to please. Roast beef of course is second to none. Very enjoyable and prices are very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experience !NCpetalumaDined on 11/15/2014You will never be disappointed dining here. It's always delicious! Can be very noisy so just know that is part of the fun experience. Always best to have a reservation otherwise you can wait hours....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still loving it...OhmanVIPDined on 11/15/2014Traffic was bad going into d city n we arrived late. The host was kind enough to fit us in as quickly as he could even though d restaurant was packed. Really appreciated that! Everything else (ie food, service) was great as ever! Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun for a birthday or girls' night outOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/15/2014As always, the prime rib was juicy, tender, and delicious. It's not the fanciest food, but it's reliably good. Love the salad, mashed potatoes, yorkshire pudding, and creamed spinach. Fun place for a celebration - this is a favorite for birthdays with the gang.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependable and great customer service.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014Great customer service from walking in to waitress who served us. It was very loud and to strain to hear each other. Their needs to be a dress code - work out wear & beanies to a nice restaurant (maybe I'm just old school).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sadly the night was ruinedOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 11/14/2014For the first time we had a bad experience at the house of prime rib - we've been going since 1989 and have always had a night to remember. This time the night started off great - wonderful service and drinks in the sitting area - the room where we sat however was louder than I have ever experienced - clearly nobody could hear each other and everybody was shouting - the wait staff was polite but quite no fun no banter no small talk - all business and he seemed to be extremely rushed - the service has always been a big part of the experience for us - this time we didn't even want to stay for desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationpetalumaprincessDined on 11/14/2014The three of us had a wonderful dining experience at The House of Prime Rib. While we waited a short time for our table to be ready, we were provided with a stool for my sister, who has trouble standing for any length of time. The drinks came quickly, the sourdough bread was delicious and the entrees outstanding. I even had a Happy Birthday song and candle with my English Trifle dessert. All delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening outMGR1204Dined on 11/14/2014We were seated right away. Our waiter was great, attentive. Food was fantastic! Everyone ordered a different cut of prime rib and each was cooked perfectly! Recommended for a special occasion or just a great dinner out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional meal!luv2dineDined on 11/13/2014I've had a lot of prime rib in my life but never of the caliber I experienced at House of Prime Rib. The wine list was exceptional as well. I would highly recommend this restaurant and can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy, but GREAT food and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/13/2014Best prime rib I've had in a long time! Our waiter was on top of it. Quick but not rushed and gave quality service. I want to return on my next visit to San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experiencehoneymooners31Dined on 11/13/2014We were highly recommended to try this amazing establishment. It was our honeymoon trip to San Francisco and we took everyone's advice. The service was helpful and kind, the food was fantastic and prices were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but could be betterAndyDined on 11/12/2014Last two time I went, it was perfect. Service was awesome, food was perfect, and the waiter was kind enough to ask me if I want second slice. This time around, the food is ok - good but not great. The meat wasn't really hot...barely warm only. Never granted a second slice, but it's ok since we are pretty much full already. Just didn't didn't felt as remarkable as before... The server was really unprofessional. The moment we told them we will be sharing some of the rib, his face went down and no longer wanted to serve us. It didn't get any better until we order some cocktail and he became more happy. Seriously?! Desert was ok, not mouth dropping and everything else dropped quality comparing to before, too. I really like this restaurant, so I hope it's just a one time mistake. Although I did hear other friend saying that they have the same feeling about lower quality recently. Also, it felt like they intentionally put all the asian people in the same area...not sure if I like that or not...or it could be there was just a lot of asian customer that day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Zeppelin Full of BeefRAM982Dined on 11/12/2014House of Prime Rib (HoPR) is one of my favorite places in San Francisco - mostly because it feels so out of place in San Francisco. In a place where everyone is drinking organic, fair-trade, monk-blended kale smoothies; HoPR is something different. The food is great (from salad to sides to the beef itself). The bar is extensive - with a wonderful Old Fashioned (though I wish they had draft beers as well as bottled). The service is fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlrightSRSFcityDined on 11/11/2014At first, I was really excited to eat her but one seated it was just an OK dining experience. It was good service but I've actually had better service at other more low key restaurants. We were celebrating my friend's 21st birthday and I treated them to the dinner, they were a bit uncomfortable that I was paying that much- it might have showed but regardless I was fine about it. The food was really good but not amazing. Maybe a bit of reverse ageism detected. Haven't decided if I will go again or not.Special Features:
- Best Prime Rib EverDIDIDined on 11/11/2014We took friends as our guests. House of Prime Rib has always been one of our favorite places to dine whether for a special occasion or just because we have a craving. Three of us ordered the House Cut and one of us could not contain himself so ordered the King Size Cut! Every selection comes with an accompanyment of your choice of mashed or baked potatoes, creamed corn or creamed spinach, yorkshire pudding. Because we couldn't decide, they even gave us 1/2 corn/1/2 spinach so we didn't have to miss out. I was tempted to order the Sea Bass special but settled on the prime rib. (No regrets). Good wines are usually overpriced in nice restaurants. We found their prices to be reasonable and affordable. We had specific requirements for the table we would be seated at. They graciously complied by seating us in a booth that was perfect. A wonderful evening had by all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad ServiceWontBeBackDined on 11/11/2014My date and I were seated at a table that seemed to be too small in the corner where the doors opened. I looked around to see other couples were seated at larger tables seating 4 people. There were plenty of other tables opened as well, but we were seated in the tiny corner. We shrugged it off and started to eat our bread that was served to us. Another server comes by and tells us to move to a different table while we were eating "to give us more space". But it turns out that they were kicking us out for a one person diner. So we were moved to a slightly larger 2 person table while juggling our wine and bread plates. We were overlooked often probably because we looked like college students. Terrible service, won't be coming back.Special Features:
- TonyTonyDined on 11/9/2014The House of Prime Rib always does a good job with their special salad, Quality of Prime Rib, and service. They have it down to a science. An enjoyable evening, with plenty of food to eat.Special Features:
- casualdiner51764Dined on 11/9/2014We arrived an over an hour late as we got mixed up with the reservation time-my fault. The Host told me that it wasn't a problem but couldn't seat us right away since we downsized from a party of three to a party of two. So he put us on the wait list and told me that there were five parties of two ahead of us. We hung out in the lounge for a few minutes and a very nice cocktail waitress brought us snacks and took our drink orders. My husband loves the Martini's here. We hardly waited 20 minutes when the Host came by to seat us. Our server was friendly and attentive. Food came out fast and delicious. The House of Prime Rib gets 5 out of 5 stars from me, because they made our experience so wonderful in spite of being late.Special Features:
- GGCUDined on 11/8/2014The food was very good and about 5x more food than I ever eat at a restaurant-- So great for doggy bag lovers. The servers were very entertaining with their food preparations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth it!LlamaswifeDined on 11/8/2014drinks are awesome! Prime rib perfection! I did not like salad or yorkshire pudding but everything else was so very tasty and satisfying!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long waittxgal223Dined on 11/7/2014I had a 9pm reservation. Did not get seated till close to 10pm. Other groups came in and got seated right away. I guess you have to know someone to get seated right away. I booked this reservation months in advanced and was looking forward to this experience, but was highly disappointed with the outcome. Will not go back to this place on my next visit to San Francisco.Special Features:
- Classic and excellentcfriedman2000Dined on 11/6/2014the service was excellent and the food was superb--special kudos to the host reception and to Ryan the waiter and Christian the chef preparer for doing an excellent job. Worth the visit if your in town or as special event.Special Features:
- Classic old style ambienceSgFoodieDined on 11/5/2014Nostalgic feel, with an old style flare salad spinning and carving at your table. Not for vegetarians! Being an international visitor it what's you expect with generous servings of prime rib and sides! Beef was great well cooked , tender and full of flavor. Place was packed with a noisy buzz!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence!CJsanfranciscoDined on 11/5/2014I took my boyfriend out for his birthday and I can't imagine a better way to celebrate! Food was of course impeccable, wine list was satisfying, but it was really the service that guarantees my loyalty. Our waiter was awesome, the host was a delight, and the chef was all smiles. This is a place where the service is superb without being stuffy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good!lifeisgoodDined on 11/5/2014Even though we don't frequent HPR every time we're in town, it's a delicious experience that visitors and residents will enjoy.Special Features:
- good fun, great experiencedbussDined on 11/5/2014The food was delicious and the whole experience was even more fun. We had an awesome waiter who took great care of our table, our reservation was fulfilled a little early, and everything went smoothly.Special Features:
- House of prime ribRichardDined on 11/5/2014Great place. The owner even said hi to us. They took a picture of our group and gave it us. It was the best prime rib I have had. I will go back the next time I am down there. Had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prime is the way to gowhatsNxtVIPDined on 11/3/2014House of Prime a perennial favorite of mine and friends on this night however, the quality of the primals were a smidgeon off the mark. Now, mind you, there are few who can roast a Prime Rib as well as HoPR. So, yes the cut was roasted to the proper temperature and was a beautiful sight to behold. Tonight's issue was perhaps the quality of the joint itself and a first for me compared to past visits. The meat was decidedly firm, not tender indicative of a cut towards the larger Chuck end of the roast but hey, I've had multiple experiences with this cut... At any rate, I know I'm being picky at this point; I will say overall the dining experience was as always, very enjoyable. Of course I'll be back better believe it !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014We got a late reservation on a Sunday night (9pm) and the restaurant was still full-tilt packed. There was barely standing room to wait. Our server was nice and efficient and the food was wonderful. Go here HUNGRY because the portions are ridiculous. The only thing on the menu is prime rib.... there is a mention of a fish selection but I would be embarrassed to ask about it. Go here for primal, gluttonous, prime rib consumption.Special Features:
- The BestMx51Dined on 11/2/2014I travél a Lot to diferent cities and countries and this is The best prime rib I Ever haveI would recommend this to a friend.
- just deliciousMichVIPDined on 11/2/2014Celebrated my daughter's 19th Birthday here. Restaurant is awesome, they accommodated my party from 6 to 8 with no hassles. Staff and wait service was wonderful. Would highly recommended for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TimelessLoveFoodDined on 11/1/2014The House of Prime Rib is timeless. The only negative point is you cannot make a reservation for a group of more than 8 on weekends. Other than that, this restaurant never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.