House of BIG FISH and Ice Cold Beer
540 South Coast Highway Suite 200
Laguna Beach, CA 92651Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
House of BIG FISH and Ice Cold Beer
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.houseofbigfish.com/
- Phone: 9497154500x
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: Saturday-Sunday 11:30am - 4:30pm
DINNER: Everyday 4:30pm - 10:00pm
HAPPY HOUR: Monday-Friday 2:30pm - 5:30pm
BONUS HAPPY HOUR: Monday-Friday 2:30pm-5:30pm
Buy Any Cocktail, Beer or Wine Off The Dinner Menu & Get Any Food Item Off The Dinner Menu Half Off.
MONDAY LOCALS NIGHT:
25% Off Food
TACO TUESDAY ALL NIGHT LONG:
Taco Platters include two tacos, chips and salsa starting at $5, Drink Specials - $6 House Margarita, $8 Skinny Margarita, $4 Mexican Bottled Beers.
50%off all bottles of wine.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Californian
- Executive Chef: Craig Connole
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: House of BIG FISH and Ice Cold Beers offers a great variety of seafood for your next private event. For more information please contact Sales & Catering at 949-315-2224 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Facilities: House of BIG FISH and Ice Cold Beer offers several options for your next private event from our indoor patio overlooking the ocean to a complete buyout of our restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Melissa De Angelo 949-505-5088x
- Special Events: Private parties, corporate events, weddings, buyouts available
To book your next event at House of BIG FISH and Ice Cold Beer contact us at 949-315-2224 or email@example.com
A word from House of BIG FISH and Ice Cold Beer
House of Big Fish and Ice Cold Beer is all about the experience. Casual environment in a relaxed seafood house setting, all small plates menu, sustainable fresh fish, healthy farm-to-table offerings, and a large beer selection including great local crafts, specialty cocktails and boutique wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
House of BIG FISH and Ice Cold Beer reviews from OpenTable diners
106 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
scenic view (73)good for groups (45)neighborhood gem (36)great for lunch (33)kid-friendly (31)vibrant bar scene (25)great for outdoor dining (22)fit for foodies (21)special occasion (15)hot spot (14)late-night find (8)romantic (7)great for brunch (5)notable wine list (3)Show More
- Amazing again. We will be back!!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014Amazing again. We will be back whenever we are in townSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less than we hoped!eric13Dined on 9/13/2014We love the place, the view and the atmosphere. We took my bother in law there for his 50th. It was my third time and their first dining experience here. The menu has seemingly changed? New Ownership perhaps? I ordered the "just hooked" Sea Bass blackened for $23.00. When it came out I was almost embarrassed at the size of the portion. I am pretty sure that this piece of fish was less than 4OZ. The Ono portion was the same. We ordered a side Caesar which had more Romaine stalk than leaves and was brown around its edges. Surely it had been sitting in a bag for a while already cut. We ordered a side salad and instead a warm mix of green seaweed arrived. The only way we will return is for them to revert back to the prior menu and portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the Coconut ShrimpJba31857Dined on 9/6/2014Went here for the first time and we'll go back. Enjoyed their Mai Tai which actually had alcohol in it. How many times do you order a drink and wonder what happened to the alcohol. Not here. It was big, tasty and full of the good stuff. The coconut shrimp were good with a sweet and slightly spicy sauce and the poke was a nice serving size served with fried won tons. Servers were very friendly and willing to go the extra mile to make sure you were happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EdWardEdwarcDined on 9/6/2014The bar is extremely noisy and the service is slow, the food is ok, we won't be back,Special Features:
- KathyDined on 9/4/2014Food was wonderful. We had the lobster Mac and cheese, the lobster truffle risotto, and the lobster crab cakes. Yum!Special Features:
- glad we chose this restaurantvickirDined on 8/30/2014We were in Laguna Beach for Pageant of the Masters. There are several restaurants within walking distance of the show - we were glad we chose this one. The food was good, portions were fine (not too much - not to little). We ate "inside" but the view from the "outside" tables was gorgeous - but those tables were in the sun. We would definitley eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bring back the old menu please!LeslieDined on 8/29/2014Haven't been since they changed the menu, liked it do much better before. Prices are up and all the best items on the menu are gone. Please bring back the old menu and decor and we will be back!!Special Features:
- House of big fish / open tabledisappointedDined on 8/24/2014this is actually my second time to big fishthe restaurant was very nice the lunch was outstandingbut once again I thought I would try open table and the communication between the restaurant and open table is absolutely etrocious in the respect that there is no communicationso I won't be using open table again I will call them physicallySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Laguna diningereviewDined on 8/22/2014We had a very enjoyable meal. Service was very friendly, and when one of our fish dishes came out overcooked, they took it back and replaced it, although it took a while to get the replacement. Enjoyable view overlooking the pacific even though the restaurant was not on the water.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed, but happy in the endAnitaVIPDined on 8/22/2014Excellent table location. Superior, attentive waiter. Excellent small plates (calamari, chowder, and ceviche). Average shrimp scampi and yellow tail entrees. Terrible Mahi Mahi (must have been old) The Manager took it off the bill. Would go back for the small plates only.Special Features:
- Would come back for Happy HourFoodieJunkyVIPDined on 8/21/2014Food was pretty good, nothing to write home about. We got the Hawaiian poke- very good and one of the fish specials. The service started out great from the moment we walked in but lacked towards the end of the night. We had empty water glasses for the majority of our meal and wanted to order more drinks. For the price I would come back for happy hour but probably not dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over priced for what you get!KubyLBDined on 8/21/2014We have eaten at big fish many times since they opened. But many fish we enjoy are no longer there and Cat Fish is not what you should make Fish and Chips with. Small portions with increased prices. Very warm in dinning room, must be trying to save money along with their small portions. Will not return again unless things change. To bad was great restaurant!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/20/2014Indoor/outdoor deck best for view of the ocean and sunset. Quiter then indoors but still feel part of the restaurant. Knowledgeable and helpful staff with great attitudes. Fish dishes are creative, flavorful and healthy.Special Features:
- Noisy, but good food and viewjad2190Dined on 8/17/2014Had a lovely dinner here! The tabeles were a bit noisy, so we moved to some bar seating along the window and were able to see whales off in the ocean. The macademia nut tilapia with coconut risotto was delicious!Special Features:
- good choicechowdownDined on 8/15/2014This is a very good choice for food and service. They have an excellent beer selection as well. The clam chowder is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOuttoeatVIPDined on 8/10/2014This restaurant was fun, with really good food when we initially started coming here about 8 months ago. Our past couple experiences have been disappointing. On one past occasion the kitchen forgot an order and it never came out with the other food. This time, all the food was not brought out at once and one of the party was left waiting . My halibut was inedible. Cold, over cooked and I sent it back. I noticed that people at the next table walked to the kitchen to send a dish back. They remade my halibut and it was better cooked but they drowned this dish in pepper. ( maybe because I sent it back?) service was really slow too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Love the view and the service. The food was pretty good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Seafood, beer, & locationSuperDaveDined on 8/10/2014We were seated quickly but it took a few attempts to find someone willing to take our drink order which was delivered incorrectly. Once the food started arriving everything was smooth however. I'd suggest you offer fresh ground pepper for anyone that orders soup, salad, or vegetables. It is a quaint and low-key restaurant and I don't expect 5 star service, but improvement is needed if you want to retain any up-tight Laguna residents.Special Features:
- Great food! Friendly service!!Carrot0101Dined on 8/9/2014Pros: food was awesome, service was friendly and helpful, great view of the Pacific Ocean. Cons: service was slow, we were there for over 2 hours (however, it seemed like that might have been unusual), it was very loud and difficult to have a conversation with someone right next to you. I would dine there again the next time I'm in town. Make a reservation, it's a Laguna Beach hot spot. We had to make our reservation 2 days in advance. It was worth the wait...the food was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealfeldskiDined on 8/9/2014We had party of six. We sat in the outside portion-Noise level was good there. Food and atmosphere were great. We had not been there and we weren't expecting much. Turned out to be a great mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey, but worth it.MikeyDined on 8/9/2014Gorgeous view from almost any table. Excellent, knowledgeable and friendly service. Excellent food presentation. Interesting mixed drinks menu. Gluten-free/dairy-free offerings were somewhat limited.Special Features:
- golferOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/6/2014Excellent find especially on half price wine Wednesday. The food fabulos and great service. The sun room was perfect with view of ocean and much quieter than main dining area. Thai calamari and chowder fries a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ran out of fishBondwest1VIPDined on 8/4/2014I called ahead to see what fish they had- It was only 7 pm- so how can you be the House of Big Fish and run out of Ono fish on the menu? The server- Emily - was awesome and apologetic. So we ate appetizers, drank wine- but went to another restaurant down the street for fish This is the third time I have been disappointed here since they changed their menu July 4th. The owners also own K'ya that i usually love, but a few weels ago i was there and the food was not very good Are there new owners? Someone is not watching things close enough
- Our favorite for chowderOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/1/2014As always the fish, chowder, and beer were great. The salmon special, while good, was smaller than expected. One issue was that one of our group ordered the Ono, which he claimed was dry. He reordered the same dish and it came out very undercooked even though it took a long time to arrive. He then switched to a burger which not only took so long that it made us late but was still charged on our bill. Service was attentive and knowledgeable .Special Features:
- DisappointedLagunaDined on 7/29/2014Went on Taco Tuesday night. Food took a really long time to arrive. When the seafood tacos (blackened shrimp and fish) did arrive they were flavorless mostly caggage with very little sauce. Would not go back.
- Food fitFoodfitDined on 7/29/2014How much fun great food, great happy hour specials, and one of Laguna beaches great views!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service? What service?agustin369Dined on 7/27/2014Nice views on the patio where we were seated. Waiter took our drink orders and that took long. Then we ordered appetizers and dinner and that took awhile as well. At first i thought the delay was a ploy to get us to order another round but i never saw our waiter. Our appetizers finally arrived and as soon as we got them out comes our orders served to us by two other waiters. Now I'm nursing what's left of my 22 ouncer, rushing through my bowl (not cup) of lobster chowder, hoping i get to my lobster meatball risotto before it gets cold. At least our waiter was nice enough to deliver our check and ask the obligatory, "any room for desert?"Special Features:
- GoodlalaDined on 7/24/2014The food was good and priced just right. We had a party of 10 and the service was good. The atmosphere was just what we were looking for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grea as alwaysNickDined on 7/18/2014We have been to House of Big Fish many times with foreign friends and visitors and is always a great place for casual dining. You can look out over the sea although you are not on the beachside. At the same time the plates are a little smaller and priced accordingly. As such we often have a couple of appetizers before a great piece of fresh Fish and a desert. They have a great beer selection and my wife says the wines by the glass are good also. Well worth a visitSpecial Features:
- 2 out of 3 ain't bad....GolfermcrDined on 7/18/2014We've eaten here about 5 times now and always come back because of the food and pricing, but we are always challenged by the service. The restaurant did locate us in the desired back patio area because we had a party of 13, but our (young) waitress was challenged. We requested separate checks (3 total) and she did that, but several of the meals ordered "floated" onto the the wrong checks. A gentleman in our party ordered the yellowtail, but it wasn't prepared as requested. When our waitress went back to the kitchen to correct it she found out that his request was sent to the wrong table and then she learned that there was no more yellowtail by then, so a new selection was made. We still will go back....Special Features:
- Sunset dining at its best!Carnivore54Dined on 7/18/2014Our dinner with friends was everything we hoped for and more. The window table on the patio was overlooking the Pacific Ocean with large opened windows bringing in the ocean breeze was AMAZING. The enclosed patio is more quiet, allowing easy conversation. Our server could not have been more friendly and helpful. At first I was saddened that the menu had shrunk since my last visit and the Southern hush puppies were gone, but the kale salad (which was much healthier) made up for the modification. The filet mignon I ordered was as delicious as the photo on the website. Everyone else ordered fish (Macadamia crusted Tilapia, Lobster Mac & Cheese and Red Snapper) and loved their meal. I will continue to recommend Big Fish for great sunset dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014Amazing restaurant! Great view, great food, great drinks would definitely go here again!Special Features:
- Bad service and foodShuttinVIPDined on 7/18/2014We have been going here for many years was great. The last two visits were bad so we said maybe it was just us. Six of us went this time waited 15 mins before we called over a waiter to help us. Had to move our table because we could not converse because if the noise from the bar. The menu is now on a paper matt bad sign. Food came after 45 min and asking twice. Waiters too busy with the bar. Truly this place has turned from a restaurant to a bar with food. We will not be back. Three strikes it's out
- Fun beachy beer pubHamamamaDined on 7/14/2014It's fun to order the beer tasting option, where you get four choices of beers on tap. The food is pretty good, and the Mexican poke is delicious. However, avoid the calamari with Thai seasoning at all costs. It is a gloppy sweet mess something of a cross between pad Thai and calamari-- yuck. The service is friendly and helpful, if a bit scattered at times.Special Features:
- Best Meal of VacationBdeliciousDined on 7/6/2014This restaurant came recommended to me by a staff member at the Ritz Carlton, Laguna Niguel. This was by far my favorite place the whole trip to Southern California. We were seated in a screened in porch and the windows were open so it felt like being outside. You had a view of the ocean and mountains, very scenic! Our waitress was friendly, attentive and gave her recommendations. YOU MUST GET THE CHOWDER FRIES! This was shared by the table and gone in no time. We also had the Lobster cakes, good but nothing special. I had the King Crab Cobb salad, customized. I add mustard vinaigrette and almonds and removed the blue cheese and olives. The waitress said it wasn't a problem and my salad came out as ordered!Special Features:
- Change in MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014We have been going to Big Fish for a long time. We still enjoy the atmosphere and service. They redecorated and took some of that old local feel away. The menu was also changed and a few favorites were eliminated (small tapas dishes- hobo bowl, etc) which should be added back. Here is what to try on the new menu - Ahi Poke, Calamari, Seafood Jambalaya, Hamburger, Key Lime Pie and Brownie. The lobster dishes used to be tasty but they changed to a lobster ball which is breaded and now you cannot taste the lobster.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunset Dinner at Big FishlagunadinerDined on 7/3/2014Great food and extensive beer menu. A little noisy, but wonderful and friendly staff. Nice view from deck.Special Features:
- HairOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/25/2014I found a hair in my food. The waiter Jackson was super apologetic though!Special Features:
- Best bang for your buck!MikeMarquezDined on 6/21/2014I picked this place because its a great view if you get a window spot to see the sun set and the price is really good. There are lots of expensive spots in Laguna Beach so when you find one that is reasonable and still has the view its great. Wide variety of food and great drinks on the menu.Special Features:
- Big FISH at a little priceBondwest1VIPDined on 6/21/2014This is a very casual bar with lots of TV's. then as you walk into the back, there is indoor seating and enclosed patio seating overlooking the pacific. The entrees sized FISH dishes are so reasonable. it is like HAPPY HOUR prices everyday. Where can you get a quality piece of Halibut, Sea Bass, Mahi Mahi or Barramundi with choice of four sauces and 2 sides vegetables for $14.00? Love this placeSpecial Features: