1143 1/2 Church St
Northbrook, IL 60062Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.house406restaurant.com/
- Phone: 8477140200x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday-Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday-Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from House 406
House 406 is a Modern American Steakhouse located in Northbrook, Illinois set to open in Spring 2014Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
House 406 - Best Restaurants in Northbrook ›
House 406 reviews from OpenTable diners
134 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (87)fit for foodies (83)special occasion (43)hot spot (42)romantic (28)notable wine list (17)good for groups (9)vibrant bar scene (8)late-night find (5)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great new addition to the areaOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 10/27/2014We celebrated our anniversary there and had a wonderful meal. Food was creative and delicious. Service was excellent. And we could hear ourselves talk! Delighted to see a new suburban fine dining place i.Special Features:
- Way too noisyLynnVIPDined on 10/25/2014Appetizer nobody cared for. Salad ok, lamb chops good. Could not carry on a conversation, way too loud in restaurant. For the money , would rather pick another restaurant .
- Delicious in NorthbrookOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014Really enjoyed everything we ate: duck egg rolls, lobster/shrimp egg rolls, house linguine and the quinoa chocolate cake. All ingredients were fresh and the cocktails were mixed to perfection. Definitely love the interiors and ambiance especially considering the outside of the building. Our server was polite however was so soft-spoken it was at times hard to hear him at all! Definitely would return, price was very reasonable for portion size and quality. YUM!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Complete disappointmentFlutefinDined on 10/20/2014Was told it is a great farm to talk place that could rival the ones in the city. I had great hope. But it proved to be very disappointing. The Ambiance is not bad and the lady who served me is nice though lack warmth and knowledge of the dishes. Food was awful! Had Parmesan Encrusted Whitefish with Champagne Roasted Cauliflower and Spinach, Lemon-Horseradish Cream Sauce for $29. The fish and cauliflower and spinach were completely coated by heavy cream sauce, like Mayonnaise. I could taste nothing except for the cream. For $29 a dish at lunch, the portion is tiny, resembling the small plate in Avec or publican. She offered to replace with short-rib. It turned out with heavy sauce that is salty otherwise blend. A disappointing experience.
- House 406 - Great Overall DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014Very good farm to table concept restaurant in North Shore. So nice not having to drive to the City for a meal like this! Menu was well thought out, eclectic food combinations / tastes and nice wine list. We may have a new favorite restaurant in suburbs. Appetizer, Salads, and main courses were all very good.Special Features:
- City Style in the BurbsCoolerDined on 10/16/2014There is a trend to open restaurants with a city buzz in the burbs and House 406 fits right in. It is noisy and vibrant. The tables are close together. You feel like you are in a restaurant in a dense urban setting. The decor is very upscale. You can tell there has been a significant capital outlay. Note that this is a small space. The staff is young and friendly, not at all formal. Not the vibe for everyone, but I enjoyed. The food is good and tries to be inventive. Be careful, as the prices are somewhat high. 4 oysters for $18? Good, but .. That is expected as House 406 prides itself as farm-to-table, local and using the best ingredients. Whether this trend will be a long-term success in the burbs only time will tellSpecial Features:
- Needs more work by management.MartinDined on 10/14/2014The room is dark brown, totally. No wall art except near the bar area. Lighting was low on arrival and got even lower twice throughout the meal..too low to read the menu. Tables are wood topped in dark brown. Water server was very polite, and set a welcoming mood for the evening. The server, with trainee in tow, recited the brief farm-to-table speil then did nothing to explain the menu or wine list other than to ask if we had any questions. Menu prices are high and don't match the ambience or level of service,...which was annoying (3 check-backs) and intrusive. This should be a white tablecloth restaurant at this price point with better trained staff which does its job quietly and seamlessly. Won't go back. The food was very good.Special Features:
- Needs some polish...mekaDined on 10/4/2014The food was pretty good, but the ambience and service was just ok. For example, we told our server it was our anniversary, but we didn't even get a happy anniversary. There was a bit of a language gap, though. There was nothing to complain of here, but given what I think they are shooting for, I think they need a little work on everything. For example, get some more dessert items, make the decor a bit more unique (and a little brighter), and definitely step up the service. Not sure I'd go back at this point, but I might give them another try. I want to like the place since it is so close!Special Features:
- Our visit to 406OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014We took our neighbors as a special treat and found the conversation hard to hear. I think the loca-vore aspect and the attention to health is super. Service and attitude were great but pretty expensive-so reserved for special occasions with those who appreciate that kind of dining. If there is a way to buffer the noise that would really give the evening a perfect 10.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice urban feel in the burbsJanetBVIPDined on 9/28/2014Although the menu is rather limited, there were enough choices so that everyone should be able to find something they like. I wasn't thrilled with the appetizer choices as i'm gluten free and there just weren't very many choices. I would have liked to see a soup choice that was not a cream based soup. Lamb chops were delicious but difficult to cut into portions in the type of dish it was served in. I sent it back to the kitchen to cut so as not to have it all over me and the table. Service was very good and complimentary birthday desert was welcome addition.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service mars excellent foodlibnDined on 9/28/2014The restaurant was cramped. The seated us at a table that backed up to a bus station. I questioned whether servers would be in the area, and they replied no, only at the outer edge of it. That was a poor way to start things out, but when our server approached our table, the experience continued to slide. Our waiter did not have full command of English, and we all had trouble communicating. The food was excellent, but the dessert menu was paltry. There were few selections. The one chocolate dessert was a chocolate gluten-free quinoa cake. My daughter asked for a different dessert. We were told that only the chocolate cake was free for a birthday. I love quinoa, but in a cake? A restaurant that is this pricey needs to iron out the kinks.
- Great new restaurantphyllgoDined on 9/27/2014Three of the four entrees were excellent, lasagna had too much tomato sauce, steak great, and fish very good. Baked oysters undercooked. Pretzel appetizers, superior. So, things are a little uneven. Service, great. Wine list too limited. Wines either inexpensive or experience. Need some moderately priced wines. The noise level on Saturday night was way too high for a neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:
- Quiet PleaseFoodieDined on 9/26/2014Excellent, interesting menu and well prepared food. Welcoming staff was knowledgeable about menu and offered very attentative service. The one drawback is the acoustics of the room. We heard the din of voices as soon as we walked in the door and it continued throughout the evening. Attractively decor, small, vibrant dining room and delicious food, but it was almost a relief to walk outside to quiet when we were finished with our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcome addition to our communityXraylfhVIPDined on 9/25/2014We just went to 406 for the second time to celebrate our anniversary. It is such a treat to have a downtown worty place just minutes from our home. Let me begin by saying they have a phenomenal bartender who is well versed in making drinks. This is rarer than you think these days. My wife had a french 75 and I had their Meyers and thyme special, which were great. For dinner we began with the lobster poppers, of which I could have eaten a bushel. They were delicious. We had their Brussels sprout salad which tasted very fresh, filled with apples, hazelnuts and other toppings. For dinner I had the halibut and my wife had the whitefish. Both were perfectly cooked. We had chocolate cake for desert. Overall, a simply wonderful experience.Special Features:
- House 406MarciaDined on 9/24/2014This restaurant is very new and located in a small shopping center in Northbrook. It's interior is quite appealing and our waiter could not have been more helpful. The food was good. My only critical comment would be that for it's location and perhaps size, the food is expensive. Their blue cheese hamburger is $25 and is served with fries and tomato and lettuce served on a pretzel roll. I think that is expensive for a hamburger no matter where you go. The lobster and shrimp "poppers" were $14 and there were three in the dish. Though on the high side, more understandable since lobster was part of the dish.Special Features:
- Better than last timeTomKDined on 9/24/2014We were disappointed with the last meal we had there with the entrées in particular, but this time the entrées were quite good. The burger was exceptional, and the steak was very tasty, even though I asked for it rare and it came somewhere between medium and medium rare, and for a 1 pound ribeye it was cut a little bit thin for my taste. All in all though, very nice meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice addition to NorthbrookERB162VIPDined on 9/21/2014The flavor combinations of everything we ate were really nice. The beet + burrata salad was especially surprising. The pretzel rolls are good. Wine list is decent and staff is friendly. Will be back.Special Features:
- Fabulous findJayBeeDined on 9/21/2014The always changing menu offers new treats with every visit. This time the parmesan-crusted whitefish served over Champagne-roasted cauliflower and spinach was outstanding, as were the duck confit egg roll appetizers. Golden and red beet salad was also delicious and the scallops were cooked to perfection. We topped it off with bread pudding/bananas foster which was plenty for our whole table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, Amateur serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014The server was nice and was not slow, but she did not have an idea how to serve in a 4 star restaurant. She did not know the menu and better do not talk about the wine menu. She was good for olive garden. It felt like the owner was helping the unemployed aunt. Music was a little to loud. Food was great. Appetizer were perfects. Entrances taste and presentation were great, but in my opinion they were too big. Good desert too.Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experienceamacbVIPDined on 9/18/2014I had heard great things about House 406, which usually means that I am disappointed. Not this time! House 406 was wonderful! To start, the wine list by the glass had lots of different choices. My parm crusted whitefish was amazing - a delicious flavor, great texture and the cauliflower accompaniment was perfect. We also shared a kale side and a rich and creamy hazelnut dessert. The server was attentive, but also extremely patient, as we were busy catching up for quite a while before we even looked at the menu. I will definitely be going back - often.Special Features:
- awesome new place in Northbrookluv2eattttDined on 9/17/2014Loved this restaurant!!! Great food and service! Exactly what we needed in the neighborhood! It was our anniversary and they were so sweet bringing us champagne! Loved the steak, ceseae salad and linguini with crab stuffed shrimp!! Will be coming a lot!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious! But....HomieDinerDined on 9/15/2014We loved the food! Our server Jerry was having a bad night. He had problems with the 4 tables around us. We had to flag Jerry down to ask questions about the menu and drinks. He was too busy with the problems he had created to take care of us. The food was deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GEM in Northbrooklakemom22Dined on 9/14/2014Our foursome all enjoyed our meals. The service lacked a bit once it got busy. Looking forward to going back to try more items on the menu. The tables were a little close together and the restaurant seemed a little too dark. The whitefish was delicious and so was the short ribs. We had the peach cobbler and chocolate cake for dessert which we all loved. A Great suburb restaurant!Special Features:
- BonnVIPDined on 9/12/2014wish waiter had been more engaging- explaining the restaurant concept, choices, etc. - a couple of entrees overly expensive, loved peach, tomatoe -great spread for rolls, no idea what it was i had halibut- my friend lamb chops- we both liked ours. provided birthday dessert which i appreciated.Special Features:
- jury still outtigerVIPDined on 9/11/2014The food, service, beverages, and overall warmth not up to the prices on the menu. The place looks beautiful yet the execution is not up to the bar they are trying to set. Tremendous potential awaits the community, yet nobody likes to pay a lot for sub par service.
- Yum!Foodlover1Dined on 9/11/2014I loved it here! It was cozy and beautiful. Everything that we ordered was spectacular. We got the lobster sliders. They were delicious. I think we got to try a good cross section of the menu because we had three people and one got fish, one got a short rib and I got a handmade pasta. All were fantastic. But the best part was dessert! (And I almost never order dessert out) We got the pecan and coconut pie/bake. It was one of the best things I've ever eaten. I also loved that the owner came over to check on us. I thought that was a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fancypaceDined on 9/11/2014The food was good. Tables too close. Car headlights a disturbing distraction if facing front door.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like to eat outFoodieVIPDined on 9/9/2014You can take thie restaurant off your list. The food is mediocre at best and the prices are way too high for the quality. I was hoping for a first class restaurant in the suburbs but this is not it. I don't think they could have crammed anymore tables in the place, We went with another couple and two of us wanted to share two entres. The server asked if we wanted them split in the kitchen which we thought was great - he then sid there will be a charge of $3 per entre to do that. At these prices (and these were two of the most expensive entres) that is insulting. The food was not very inventoive and the flavors were pretty bland. I would not go back
- brothsbrothsVIPDined on 9/9/2014The New York strip steak is outstanding. The fries and chocolate layer cake are delish. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehTaraDined on 9/6/2014Meh. It was okay. First, when we were told that we couldn't get a reservation for 5:30, only for 5 because they were "booked," but barely half the restaurant was occupied at 6:45, we were a bit skeptical. Second, the entree - the filet - was DOUSED in what we though was A-1 sauce. Third, the server wouldn't STOP asking us when we were ready to order and made sure to get us the check as SOON as we ordered dessert. Rushed, much? Speaking of dessert, the "marshmallow, puppy chow, chocolate thing" is just a mess of these ingredients that leads to a pretty low quality dessert. Meh. Not impressed. Would I go back? Probably not. Did you really work alongside the chef at the Girl and the Goat? Maybe you should've taken notes...
- House 406JaykayVIPDined on 9/5/2014We desperately need dining options in Northbrook, so House 406 was a welcome addition. The interior space is great considering it's in a suburban strip mal. The food was okay. My husband and I both ordered the romaine salad. We could have shared one. I wish our server had told us. Other than the presentation, it was just okay. I had the gnudi which was tasty but would have been better as an appetizer. I didn't want to eat a whole bowl of that. My husband had a pasta dish with short ribs which he seemed to enjoy. Given the prices, I need to be more wowed. We wil return in six months or so and give it another try.Special Features:
- winealittleDined on 9/2/2014Our third visit to this new restaurant was even better than the first two. Going early makes for a quieter dinner. The noise level during later dinner times when the restaurant is full was our only objection in the past. Again, the food is excellent. House 406 bills itself as a steakhouse, but it is so much more. Try the halibut. We'll make a fourth visit soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Addition to the BurbsBrigidDined on 8/29/2014Food: Excellent. Duck sliders had the perfect amount of truffle aoli. Short ribs fell off the bone and my Parmesan crusted whitefish was cooked perfectly. the cauliflower it was served with was a favorite of mine. I could have eaten that as a side and been perfectly happy. The only thing I was surprised by was how heavy all the menu items were. It felt more like a fall menu then a summer menu. I would have loved to of seen some lighten items in August and come back in Fall for the current delicious menu Service: FAST Ambiancee: small space so the tables are really close together. Decor is hip enough to feel like downtown. Only negative is that it's extremely loud.Special Features:
- Fairly SolidDouglasilVIPDined on 8/29/2014Really mixed feelings about our experience. Seating is pretty cramped but the overall ambiance was tasteful and nice. Food is a little on the pricey side for the portions served...$20 for 6 oysters? Menu is a bit limited and will need to change over time and/or expand. Otherwise, just not sure there is enough variety to bring you back. Our waiter was excellent and very attentive to our needs while providing adequate time and space to fully enjoy the moment. This was a huge positive for such a new restaurant. Overall solid foundation but needs a little tweaking to sustain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/29/2014The only issue is the SOUND LEVEL.Some form of "deadening" is really neededSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, bring a megaphoneOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014Food was great, but conversationally challenged. Service was also good. Tables are close together, therefore making it difficult for the waitress to get through.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local additionNodietallowedDined on 8/27/2014Jenny Eisen( nortbrook native) has created a terrific addition to the north shore dining experience. Very much enjoyed our first visit of many to come. 4 of us dined together. The scallops were terrific, airline chicken great, though I hate the name, fish was fresh and accompaniments were inventive.Special Features:
- Great Food and ServiceArlyVIPDined on 8/27/2014We felt like we parked with a valet in the city and went into a "fancy" restaurant. The food and service are wonderful. A little noisy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy with Home 406erikson1313Dined on 8/26/2014We were delighted with Home 406. The food was wonderful and we loved our little table opposite the bar. we went early and were glad as it became very busy. Look forward to a return visit. Our waiter was great too.Special Features:
- RaggsDined on 8/26/2014I was not impressed with my dinner - The evening sun was directly in my eyes. The food was very expensive and not all that special.. When I complained about the sun the girls at front tried to fix it. No manager response. I will not go back neither our friends. The halibut was to be grilled med. No grill marks (Flat grill maybe) and not med. temp. was not consistent .Special Features: