Houlihan's - Champaign
1902 South First Street
Champaign, IL 61820Neighborhood:
Champaign / Monticello
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Houlihan's - Champaign
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.houlihans.com/
- Phone: 2178195005
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Everyday: 7:00am - 10:59am; Lunch: Everyday: 11:00am - 3:59pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Joel Gieseke
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Houlihan's - Champaign
Everybody deserves delicious. We go to great lengths to make dishes from scratch, in-house every day. From homemade soups and dressings to fresh baked breads and desserts, we mean fresh you can truly taste.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Houlihan's - Champaign reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (6)good for groups (4)special occasion (4)fit for foodies (4)great for outdoor dining (3)neighborhood gem (3)kid-friendly (2)romantic (2)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Next levelfoodie51Dined on 9/5/2014The food looked good, ambiance was romantic, the service was better than good.Special Features:
- Not crowdedBangforthebuckDined on 8/24/2014I liked the broad menu but the quality of the food was mediocre, the drinks nothing special....the environment classy....they need to find new chefs!Special Features:
- Nice evening dinnerFoodiesDined on 7/12/2014This was an excellent choice for a nice dinner. My wife had the stuffed chicken breast, I had the scallops and risotto. Both dishes were very good, large portions, well prepared, and attentive service.Special Features:
- Great lunchLovesfoodDined on 6/19/2014Great wait staff at lunch! The food was excellent and served in timely fashion. The waiter promptly refilled water and tea tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet Saturday NightSusanDined on 6/14/2014This restaurant is next to the I hotel/conference center. I don't usually think of eating here on the weekend and it appeared no one else does either. There were only a couple of other tables occupied when we arrived at 7:20pm. My niece and I both had soups, mine was french onion and hers was chicken tortilla. Both were excellent! We both had steak, mine was the 4oz. pettite center-cut filet and hers was the 5oz. prime sirloin, again both were excellent, cooked and seasoned perfectly. If you live in the Champaign, Urbana, Savoy area then I highly recommend this place on a Saturday evening. BTW, save room for dessert! The creme' brulee and bourbon pecan pie were delightful.Special Features:
- Overpriced UndervalueYmmik0484Dined on 6/14/2014I was pretty disappointed in the servings for the prices, and the price for a bottle of beer was ridiculous to me... I understand it is supposed to be an uppity dinning experience however I was just not impressed... and the waiter was just to eager to take away our plates when we were not even finished yet... the best part of our dinning was after dinner when a different waiter served us drinks on the Patio.. his name as Nate and he was a lot of fun and very outgoing!!!
- The following 100 reviews are from the Houlihan's - Champaign reviews archive.
- flight of martinis!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/17/2014we were celebrating graduation with my daughter. the flight of martinis was just the ticket!
- EnjoyablePlainFunDined on 5/10/2014We found the place great. As always. It is a favorite of my wife and I. She loves the fish tacos. It is the only place she orders then in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing brunchTravelerDined on 4/20/2014Made reservations for Easter breakfast. Very small buffet included burnt scrambled eggs, bacon, potatoes, very thick pancakes, small bowl of fruit, store bought pastries, ran out if fresh muffins.Special Features:
- Fun location - when there's no gamePaulincAshburnVIPDined on 4/15/2014Across the parking lots from the Fighting Illini stadiums, Houlihan's is a good choice when there aren't crowds to contend with. Our food did not come out hot from the kitchen, but was otherwise very good.Special Features:
- Good experienceBingoDined on 3/26/2014Consistently have a good experience at Houlihans....good food, nice wait staff, pricing OK.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Choice for Champaign DiningGeaux93Dined on 1/22/2014Went with a small group, including a job applicant from out of town, to close out a day of interviews. Nice place to drink, eat and talk casually. Great drink selection and lots of food choices. Food and drinks were good. Also got to watch a hockey game. Recommended for a casual night out with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service dissatisfieddissatisfiedDined on 12/14/2013When we arrive although we had reservations our table was not ready. The hostess that serviced us had a bad attitude. There were not enough place settings at the table. Several of our drinks had unknown particles floating in them as if the glasses had not been washed properly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Location is great for U ofOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/29/2013Location is great for U of I and it was understandably packed before a game. We understood the wait for food but all food was delivered only slightly warm and in fact parts were cool.
- My wife and I and her parentsillinijimbo68VIPDined on 11/15/2013My wife and I and her parents have eaten here many times, and have usually been very happy with the experience. Our most recent experience, however, was not that good. My wife's entree was surprisingly dissimilar to previous versions of this entree. The "panko-crusted fried shrimp" were literally ⅓ the size of previous iterations. The Tuscan bean salad was a mere shadow of its former self, with uninteresting greens and soaked with oil.The grilled salmon BLT, whose menu description was meticulous in describing the adornments, arrived with shaved red onions, something I definitely had checked the menu for and did not want. The whole experience was peculiar. I'll chalk this one up to a bad night in the kitchen unless it happens again.
- I loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/9/2013The food overall was great, the macaroni was a bit disappointing but everything else I ordered was amazing. The service was quick and perfect and I've already recommended this place to people!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Making Reservations are PointlessJustinDined on 10/25/2013I made reservations via Open Table for Houlihan's about 1 week in advance. When arriving to Houlihan's, my party arrived at the time of our reservation. However, the staff seemed very unorganized. I checked in with the hostess and they said we'd be seated shortly. Abour 25 minutes later, after everyone else waiting without reservations had been seated, we were informed they were cleaning our table now. When we asked the hostess why there was a 25 minute delay from when our reservation was initially, they just said "sorry, it's a really busy night.". I feel like that was an awful excuse for why I was not seated at the proper time. Additionally, the restaurant staff did absolutely nothing to compensate for the late service.
- Excellent long islandsEveningout42Dined on 10/4/2013Had a nice evening out with my wife and another couple. Good service decent prices and the long islands were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice option for a night outeiugrad1996Dined on 9/19/2013My husband ordered a burger and said it was very good. I ordered the small entree of seared scallops which was a much smaller portion thanI expected. We ordered the small appetizer of spinich dip and chips which was very good snd larger than expected. There was a special on Martinis the night we went so we each had one, both were good. We each had a dessert also. Portions were small but they were good and the price wasnt bad. We ended up eating for anout $45, which was pretty good since we had an appetizer, both had drinks, entrees and dessert. Since it is so close to the Assembly Hall we just left our car in the lot and walked over which saved us some money. Will definately go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Houlihan'sOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2013Good food BUT our service was lousy. Our waitress seemed like she didn't want to be there. She was late taking our order,brought us silverware when we asked for it when our meals arrived and i declined a second cocktail after i waited till dinner was almost over before she told me she forgot and if i still wanted it. The food was good and maybe she was just having a bad daySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu change?MarthaDined on 8/22/2013We ordered our usual choice, wedge salad and steak. The waitress asked how we wanted the steaks cooked, medium well and medium. When they were brought to the table, they were both cooked the same. Not good. No polenta croutons. Not good. Very little dressing on the half of head of lettuce. The waitress had a very group at another table. We waited for about fifteen minutes aft the food was delivered for her to return. Very disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinner02zo6guyDined on 8/9/2013Highly recommend this restaurant. Very good food and service. Chicken tortilla soup was amazing as was my entree salad which had sliced bananas in it, a first for me. Other members of my party enjoyed the fish tacos and chicken quesadillas. Mojitos were awesome also.Special Features:
- Outdoor patio great & food is goodJimCDined on 7/25/2013We've visited a number of times for work and non-work related events and the food has always been good, with colorful presentation, and the staff is always helpful and attentive. We love the outdoor patio area. It's a soft, welcoming design that makes a person want to just stay and hangout out, and the inside is nicely designed as well. We are designing our home landscaping based on some things we like on your patio. Prices are reasonable. We've always had good experiences here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/16/2013I thought I was making a reservation for father's day brunch but it turned out to be lunch instead.Special Features:
- Celebrated GraduationBobLVIPDined on 5/11/2013We almost always dine at Houlihan's when visiting UofI. The food is consistently good and the service is excellent. We dined late after the graduation and you could tell the staff was getting tired but they were still attentive. I would recommend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy food, good varietyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/9/2013I've been to Houlihan's a few times now and have always enjoyed the food there. This time I shared the 'shrooms and chicken/avocado eggroll appetizers with a friend, and they were excellent. I had the steak, baked potato, and steamed broccoli, which were all very yummy also. There's a wide variety of choices in food and drink. The server did come and go very quickly, often before we could all order what we wanted, so that was a little annoying. Also, although the live music was good, it made it a bit harder for our book club conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Breakfast not their fortethatOneGuyDined on 4/28/2013Go to Houlihan's for lunch, go for dinner, skip the breakfast.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed some healthy vegetarianOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 4/26/2013Enjoyed some healthy vegetarian options while in town for the Illinois Marathon. Nice place tucked into a hotel / conference center - probably sees a lot of partying during events.Special Features:
- Before a showJFW2Dined on 4/25/2013This gem was selected because of its proximity to the Assembly Hall. The food was great with a good selection. Excellent service. A great place before a game or show!Special Features:
- It was mom's weekend so itOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/13/2013It was mom's weekend so it was crowded but our service was terrible. The server was rude and sweating profusely because the sun streams through the west facing windows. We had to put menus on top of our booth to block the sun.Special Features:
- They had a big crowd thatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/13/2013They had a big crowd that day. Probably more than they could handle. We had to wait an hour for our food. Other tables that arrived after us seemed to get served before us.
- The food was very good, andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/12/2013The food was very good, and the waitress very helpful with making suggestions.
- While their new breakfastOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/20/2013While their new breakfast menu was missing some of my past favorites, the food was good and the service for our group of 12 was excellent.Special Features:
- Everything was great. TableOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/8/2013Everything was great. Table was ready when we arrived. Waitperson gave helpful suggestions regarding menu and her recommendation were right on target. Everyone enjoyed their meal and wait staff were attentive throughout.
- Fun! Fun! Fun!NormalitesDined on 2/7/2013The petite filet is delicious!! We had good service even though the place was packed. Great place to go before or after the game!Special Features:
- Had my booth ready in a quietOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/23/2013Had my booth ready in a quiet spot as requested. Even though the place was crowded and busy I was able to hear my guest during our conversation over a lovely lunch.
- Not the best...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/16/2012The food was mediocre and my Cosmo was tasteless! Plus, when I ordered dessert, they were out of vanilla ice cream! How are you out of vanilla ice cream?? Also, it could have been a little darker, too bright in there for my taste. The service was good, but that's about it. I wouldn't recommend to anyone.
- This was our first visit,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/15/2012This was our first visit, so I went online and made reservations. We arrived a few minutes before scheduled. We were there at least 10 minutes before the staff noticed us and came over to seat us. We then waited even longer before our waitress finally came to take our drink order. The restaurant was fairly empty with our table being one of only 5 or 6 seated tables. A man, we assume the manager, refilled our drinks twice, as we hadn't seen our waitress since our order was placed. The food arrived in a timely manner and was very delicious. We were very happy with the food, but the service could have been better.Special Features:
- Great appetizers and salads,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/8/2012Great appetizers and salads, our server was great too!
- Last time I was here for breakfastOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/21/2012Last time I was here for breakfast the server didn't communicate to me that the item that i ordered from the menu was going to be prepared differently than what described in the menu (no ciabatta bread but basic wonder bread) and also didn't disclose that extra bacon was $1 extra.