350 George Street
New Brunswick, NJ 08901Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hotokerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7322468999
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Asian, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We caters venues of all sizes, call for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a private dining experience via our mezzanine, available for parties large and small.
- Private Party Contact: Mika 7322468999
- Entertainment: Specializing in live DJ entertainment Thursday through Saturday playing Pop, House, and R&B, starting 10:30pm.
A word from Hotoke
An eclectic Contemporary-Asian dining experience, specializing in sushi and creative cocktail mixing; featuring a lava stone bar, relaxing lounge, and sushi bar.Continued
Happy Hour : Monday- Friday from 4:00 -7:00pm. Sushi special: American and Traditional rolls for half price.
Happy Hour : Monday- Friday from 4:00 -7:00pm. Sushi special: American and Traditional rolls for half price.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hotoke reviews from OpenTable diners
16 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (7)fit for foodies (5)neighborhood gem (5)romantic (4)special occasion (4)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Food was better last time.JustinDined on 9/6/2014The food is very good. I would have rated excellent but have had some better quality sushi last time I ate at this restaurant. Could be due to the fact that it's still New Brunswick's off-season and when the restaurant is packed, they go through the food much faster. I will go back soon as we still love this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, good foodFeedURbodyrightVIPDined on 8/28/2014Sushi was good (we both agreed), sashimi portion small but good (per my guest), I would skip the lobster soup next time (mostly broth). The waiter was very knowledgeable and able to make good recommendations. Relatively deserted however could be due to Thursday before labor day holiday weekend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindGreatFindDined on 8/14/2014Cannot believe I just found your resturant. You were an excellent find. The food, service, and atmosphere were excellent. Will be back,Special Features:
- CLOSEDBK28Dined on 8/10/2014My wife had chosen HOTOKE as she has had lunch there before and the food was good. I was taking her to dinner for her birthday. We had made a 5 30 reservation. Upon arriving the restaurant was closed - the door swere locked. No sign to indicate a reason why. The hours on the window stated sunday they open at 4. We attempted to call - there was the answering machine - my wife left a irrate message. We had decided to go to another restaurant. I would ask open table to verify with the restauarnt that they are open so ppl such my wife and I do not waste our time.
- Hotoke is fab!!!!noelleDined on 5/31/2014We ate at Hotoke's in New Brunswick on 5/31. From appys to dessert it was fabulous. There were 2 couples that night ordering 4 appy, the popcorn shrimp, veggie rolls, sweet yam dumplings and mini lobster crab cakes. They were all really good. The entress were even better. One had the filet mignon, excellent and cooked to perfection. Another had the ribs; the meat fell off the bone, so very tender. My friend and I had the soba noodles, hers with tofu, mine with chicken. Had a little kick but oh so delicious. We ended the meal with a shared dessert. It was cheesecake rolled and fried in bananas with ice cream and fruit. All in all, this dining experience was excellent!!! The service too was great. Def recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Love HotokeDinner4FiveVIPDined on 5/25/2014My favorite sushi spot. We travel over an hour to come here. Sushi is phenomenal. Cocktails are great as well. Cool vibe, great ambience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 233 reviews are from the Hotoke reviews archive.
- Excellent wait staffsteebsDined on 5/23/2014Our waiter made our dining experience wonderful. He knew the answers to every question we had about the food and drinks (even for my one friend who has severe food allergies) and was extremely polite. Also, the food was fantastic and presented beautifully.Special Features:
- fabulous graduation dinnerRURahRahDined on 5/17/2014We had our daughter's graduation dinner here with the whole family. The restaurant was very accommodating and the food and service were sensational!!!Special Features:
- Change the ChefSaltyDined on 5/17/2014Elegant, excellent ambiance ruined by very salty food.Special Features:
- OkJdTxDined on 5/13/2014Service inexperienced, slow from kitchen, not busy at all they day, food good, a little expensive
- MAS45MAS45Dined on 5/10/2014Excellent cocktails, food, service and ambiance. Since it becomes a nightclub, it does get pretty noisy for diners. That was the only drawback.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- alansharris55Dined on 4/26/2014Nice atmosphere. Good food and service. Convenient to the Theaters.
- Nice JointOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/22/2014Overall a nice place. I went on a slow night but service was very good and so was the sushi . My duck was pretty good also. I had nice business dinner and a nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/11/2014The food was very mediocre. Our host was had a masked face all the time. Did not smile or make any recommendations. The bathrooms were very unclean.Special Features:
- Upscale..I get it I get it...BigKorVIPDined on 3/29/2014I respect the attempt to have an upscale restaurant...I really do. I work in NYC and frequent them often. So to have an option close to home is cool...but please just understand you are in New Brunswick NJ. $14 Hennessy..NO. Meals that pricey with soupy Pad Thai...NO. Trying to turn it into a lounge with a DJ who disappears for over an hour playing iTunes..NO. I do get the attempt but please be aware of the surroundings and cater to where you are at..not where you want to be.Special Features:
- Good food and drink options.MajiDined on 3/29/2014Good food and drink options. Service could have been better.Special Features:
- Good Restaurant Spoiled by NoiseBethDined on 3/29/2014Nice menu and drinks, good service, nice thematic decor, but totally spoiled by inconsiderate, rude guests who behaved like they were at an outdoor sporting event. It IS possible to have a good time without being so loud that others can't hear conversation at their table. Entitlement stops when it intrudes on others in a public place! Gluten-free awareness makes this a possibility for those who have these serious health issues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy, Tasty, IdealfindmeclassyfoodDined on 3/25/2014I found Hotoke while searching venues for a date night. I loved the pictures on the site which gave view to the layout, design, food listings, and the ambiance of the place. When we arrived there, we were not disappointed. It was a "very beautiful" venue as my date had commented. The food list was also exquisite. Dining at Hotoke was an enjoyable experience for the both of us. Our knowledgable, well-trained waiter, along with the delicious food, beautiful furnishings, and unique ambiance, all contributed to the wonderful time we had. This was an even better choice than I had expected (and expectations were high!) Being a man who appreciates classy food and service, I certainly appreciate what Hotoke delivered: a beautiful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good for a first time1classguyDined on 3/22/2014food was good liked the environment service started off good but as place got crowded service dropped Over all I enjoyed myself and would Try it againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our server, Joe, was veryj9beakDined on 3/22/2014Our server, Joe, was very knowledgable and made an excellent recommendation for an appetizer, a spicy lump crab meat dip that was much more crab than dip. It was all white lump crab meat with a topping of a spicy crust and house made, light flatbread-like chips. Very good! The mini lobster crab cakes were also quite delicious. As for the main course, the sushi was outstanding. It's the real deal here. Real lobster and crab in there rolls, not that sea leg, imitation crab meat that you see in most sushi establishments. The price reflects the quality but it is money well spent. I would highly recommend coming here for that special evening or a great date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food not as Good as the VenueFrantanDined on 3/22/2014Very cool Tao(smaller) like atmosphere. Shared three sushi rolls which were very good, however the main course was subpar. I ordered the strip steak special with a lobster tail. I ordered the steak rare and it came out medium(ruins it for me) and cold. Also the lobster tail was rubbery. Would definitely go back, but would probably stick with the sushi the next time. I think it would be good for a group to go out, order a bunch of sushi and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has been betterLodesVIPDined on 3/20/2014Half of my meal was excellent. The rare seared tuna was great. I've had sushi here before and it has always been very good. Regular food from the kitchen is hit or miss. Lobster cakes were dry and overcooked with no hint of Lobster flavor at all. I will stick with sushi and asian food from now on if I return. I love the atmosphere and the service is always wonderful.Special Features:
- Girls night outTamekaDined on 3/11/2014From the hostess to the waiter, our service was impeccable. Our waiter (justin I think ) was very knowledgeable. He recited the specials and menu from memory and was able to answer all of our questions. (5women) He made drink recommendations and was prompt and attentive at each course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what we expected.quest313Dined on 3/3/2014We arrived in time for happy hour, but by the time I our waiter came to our table it was over. I told him him we've been there awhile and he said that happy hour was really only for the lounge area. Which is odd because I had walked over to the bar earlier and no one was there. We had the edamame, one special roll and two normal rolls. The special roll was good. Nothing fancy. The interior was nice. It was a Monday night, so maybe they are better other nights of the week.
- Less than mediocreEA2979Dined on 2/21/2014This restaurant is clearly attempting to be Tao. It's not. The service was terrible. The table seated next to us left after waiting nearly 30 minutes before anyone came to their table. The food was average at best. Would not return.
- Rude HostessMarlonDined on 2/19/2014As soon as we got there we told the the hostess we have a reservation for 2, it was my wife's birthday and wanted to make it formal and interesting form the beginning, so, hostess said after i said that i have a reservation, "ohh yeah??" while she was on her Iphone "SO RUDE" and did not even ask me for my name or anything like that i understand place was not busy it was Wednesday Feb 19th @ 9:00 PM, but she should take a look at the reservation notes just to see if i requested something special for the occasion, she did not even bother, and before we even sat down more than me i saw right away my wife not being comfortable at all. "WELCOMING IS A VERY IMPORTANT STEP IN A RESTAURANT" waiter was excellent food was GREAT,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was my first time thereJohnDined on 2/14/2014It was my first time there but they were very welcoming and the food was great.Special Features:
- Romantic valentines dayBexy7Dined on 2/14/2014Overall the food and ambience was perfect. I had the surf and turf and the filet was cooked perfectly. My boyfriend had the ny strip which he thoroughly enjoyed as well. The cocktails were fabulous ( try the black and blue martini) . The service was a little slow, but that is expected on valentines day. I will definitely be back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special SpotTMDixonDined on 2/14/2014This was our second time time at this restaurant. We had a wonderful time at this location. The food wa excellent and the service was very good. My wife had a wonderful time and really enjoyed the atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines for 2OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/14/2014Dinner for 2 on Valentines Day and we had a great experience. Very nice place, great vibe and given a nice table for two along a really cool coy pond full of fish. It was a set menu for the night but the choices were great. We started with coconut shrimp and some seared tuna and both were excellent. We both wanted surf and turf and both meals were spot on. Filets were perfectly cooked and tender and lobster was succulent. For desert we chose the Chocolate Fantasy which was really good to end the night. The atmosphere was cool, food was really good and the drinks made well. Service was average, being a set meal and automatic tip, I do not think the waiter wanted or needed to try hard for his tip. Overall we would come back and bring friends.Special Features:
- Dinner for twoDinner42Dined on 2/14/2014Valentines day dinner for two. Quiet setting. The service was professional and attentive. Waiter was knowledgeable of menu. Food was delicious and presented attractively.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodSushiDined on 1/16/2014Food was alright, the other few times I've eaten it's been betterSpecial Features:
- Great place for New YearsLovebirdsDined on 12/31/2013I went here for New Year's Eve and they charged $65 per person. Even though I got two tolls of sushi, a dessert and an appetizer it was a good expiernece. The food was pretty good. I enjoyed it and my gift lefties did too. The arrangements of tables are great it was romantic for my girl!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs a cookbooksuchafoodieVIPDined on 12/21/2013The ceviche was dry cooked seafood tossed with shredded cabbage. Definitely not prepared as classic ceviche. The black cod was very small and uninspired. The waiter seemed to know absolutely nothing about the food's preparation.
- Couldn't be betterVinnyDeVIPDined on 12/20/2013Found this restaurant by mistake and we will make sure to go back often. The food was delicious, service was good and it had a great bar scene. A must try.Special Features:
- Oh so quiet.PatrickVIPDined on 12/18/2013Our second time there before shows at George Street Playhouse. Both times we were practically alone in the lovely dining room. Hope they are busier other times as I'd hate to see this place close.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very EnjoyableChuckDined on 12/14/2013Went to Hotoke before going to a show at the State Theater. Great service, delicious sushi and sashimi.I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOME SUSHISHK2014Dined on 12/12/2013Thanks several great meals, this is a great place for groups or just 2!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/7/2013I really enjoyed my time here. The sushi was great the plum saki was amazing. One word of advice don't make your reservation after 10 because the kitchen closes at 10:45.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedGirlzniteoutDined on 12/6/2013Drinks were good. Service was disorganized but once we found a waiter he was good. Apps were good but dinner was not!! Very disappointing night in New Brunswick. But spending time with friends made up for lousy meal. Would not go back.Special Features: