Evanston, IL 60201Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://hotarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8477330899
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Sunday: Brunch 9:30 am-2:00 pm Dinner 4:30pm - 8:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American
- Executive Chef: Jonadab Silva
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: At Hota private dining is truly an event. Our contemporary atmosphere and culinary techniques makes every meal a memorable experience. Impeccable service is our hallmark, and our gracious dedicated staff will address all your needs. We are here to make your party an unforgettable success.
- Private Party Contact: Jona Silva 8476443634
A word from Hota Restaurant
Nestled just South of the peaceful Central Street shopping district in Evanston, Hota offers Nuevo Latino Cuisine as a neighborhood dining option. Executive Chef and owner Jonadab Silva offers contemporary Mexican and Latin fare in a relaxed setting. Hota is an ideal location for nights out, lunch, Sunday brunch, weddings, rehearsal dinners, and business get-togethers with private dinning options for large and small parties.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hota Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- Surely this message is a badYummyDined on 8/19/2012Surely this message is a bad joke. Just 24 hours before our reserved time, you canceled my reservation at Hota. I learned later that the restaurant had closed, apparently permanently. So why are you sending out this questionire about the Hota restaurant? Seems like a waste of your time, and mine!
- IT shut down!!! Without ANYKMJ1045Dined on 8/17/2012IT shut down!!! Without ANY WARNING, the place just closed down and there were like 10 or so people outside
- While I'd hoped other reviewsOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/11/2012While I'd hoped other reviews I read on Hota weren't a good picture, I'm sadly wrong. We had reservations on a Saturday night and Hota was not even close to full. In a nutshell to the management -- your food is great but can't overcome poor service. We should not have to flag down our server to order more drinks (profit for you) or to get the food we ordered. It may be just a few on the wait staff that need to be replaced but do yourself a favor and get it done. I'll be reading reviews and will return once you fix this!Special Features:
- What a great find!!! GreatKMJ1045Dined on 8/11/2012What a great find!!! Great Menu and terrific service. Definitley higher priced for smaller portions....but terrific quality!Special Features:
- Great neighborhood locationernieDined on 8/10/2012Great neighborhood location with outdoor dining, good service and a nice variety of cocktails - different from the normal. We were disappointed with the limited menu and the food was just ok.
- The menu was not what wasOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/10/2012The menu was not what was indicated on line - very limited. Expensive for small plates - overall not a restaurant I would recommend. I had very much enjoyed this restaurant, but it seems they are on hard times.
- Very nice neighborhood spot....espeValleygirl47VIPDined on 8/4/2012Very nice neighborhood spot....especially fior the 'burbs. Great margaritas. Food was fresh, good , but not outstanding. H'ors very good, but on small side. Molly, our waitress, very attentive.Special Features:
- Much better first time whenOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/31/2012Much better first time when we ate inside. Nice to be able to eat outside and a quiet street, but decided to order a number of the small plates and most of dishes were disappointing - plus "sharing plates" not big enough for each of 4 people to have even 1 bite ... poor value. Guacamole presentation didn't work: small chips are mixed in that aren't big/strong enough to scoop without breaking ... made it awkward to eat if you wanted chips and impossible to separate for those who didn't. Margaritas very good, though.Special Features:
- This is a lovely restaurant,OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/21/2012This is a lovely restaurant, and we are delighted to have "discovered" it, having moved recently to Evanston from Chicago. We took friends with us who also love good restaurants, and they too were very positive about it. There vegetarian options on the menu--important for me--and everything I tasted was delightful. I was especially pleased with the vegetarian paella; the four of us shared it, and there was enough left over for an ample meal for my husband and me the next day! We'll certainly recommend Hota to friends, and return often ourselves. (The prices are reasonable.)Special Features:
- We were looking for a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/21/2012We were looking for a great Latin place to go in the north suburbs and we found it! I thought the food was very good. There were four of us and we each ordered something different and had a taste of everything. We enjoyed everything that we had. Each item seemed to have the right blend of spices. The waitstaff was friendly - we were not rushed. We will definately go back.Special Features:
- Good food and nice ambiance.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/20/2012Good food and nice ambiance. The outdoor space was really enjoyable. The service however was not so great. Our server really did not know the menu well, said he could change an item and then found out once the item arrived that they could not change it. It made the evening a bit frustratingSpecial Features:
- Delightful find. InterestingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/14/2012Delightful find. Interesting menu and well executed preparation. We ordered multiple small dishes for sharing and each was terrific. Very good and unpretentious wine list. Charming and attentive service. We walked in without expectations and were knocked out.Special Features:
- This was our 3rd time at Hota.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/14/2012This was our 3rd time at Hota. The first time we went there we had an 8PM reservation and were not seated until 8:45. I assumed that they were working out the kinks of a new restaurant and we enjoyed the food and service, The second time we had a table outside which was nice but the service was terrible. Food and drinks took forever. Last Saturday was our 3rd time there. We had a reservation and were placed at the service door with our menus flying off the table. Service was terrible. Appetizers took over 45 minutes - after a reminder. Food was very average. Very hassled employees. Great concept but a fail.
- Food is great, except the paella.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/14/2012We really liked the menu selections. All the small plates we order were good. The only disappointment was the Paella. It was bland. We will be back again to order more small plates.Special Features:
- The service was so bad thatNickyVIPDined on 7/14/2012The service was so bad that it took away from the rest of the meal. It took 20 minutes to get part of our appetizer order, guacamole, and the rest didn't come until 10 minutes later. The waitress forgot. She forgot our entrees, and kind of looked at us when we requested a dessert menu after our entrees. Too many good restaurants around for us to go there again.
- We loved the food and thekittyDined on 7/13/2012We loved the food and the service. We're older, so we always prefer more quiet to more noise. It would be helpful if there were noise deafening materials on the floor or cleverly placed in the ceiling. Great neighborhood place.Special Features:
- Had a very nice night diningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2012Had a very nice night dining outdoors at Hota. Food good, service unhurried & outdoor dining area spacious & attractive. The indoor space is remarkably unattractive however.Special Features:
- Adequate food , but very slowOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/11/2012Adequate food , but very slow service on a not very busy afternoonSaving grace was the delicious flour less chocolate cake and the ability to dine outside on a summer afternoonSpecial Features:
- While the descriptions ofwilmettedinerDined on 7/10/2012While the descriptions of the food that were on the menu sounded great, none of the food we ordered was actually very good. The Cauliflower-Pumpkin seed small plate sounded good, but was actually a strange combination of textures and tastes and wasn't good at all. The mussels were just okay, nothing special. The paella was bland and tasteless and had no distinctive taste at all. Other reviewers raved about the bread; we were not offered any bread. I was very disappointed in our meal and would not return to this restaurant.
- Slow service. Wine glass forOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/7/2012Slow service. Wine glass for $11 was very skimpy. At that price, should be more generous. Food was mixed. Paella was not good, hard rice. Tacos were very good. Carnitas appetizer was delicious. Beet small plate also good. A few tweaks and they could be excellent!Special Features:
- This was our 2nd trip here,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/7/2012This was our 2nd trip here, both recent. The food is very good & the service is friendly. However, on our 1st visit it seems we were served rolls & a salad, possibly something else, with our dinners. On our recent visit nothing but the main course was served. Very perplexing. Also, my scallop dish, though very tasty, was surrounded by an inordinate amount of chopped celery which was also perplexing.Special Features:
- Tortilla soup was very tasty.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/5/2012Tortilla soup was very tasty. The guacamole appetizer was fantastic. We even ordered seconds. We loved your sangria!Special Features:
- Very nice experience. SmallOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/29/2012Very nice experience. Small plates good, tilapia entree absolutely excellent. We will definitely return.
- Our dinner was lovely andbikerbabeVIPDined on 6/23/2012Our dinner was lovely and the food was good. We waited a little long for an outdoor table.Special Features:
- Saturday was my 2nd time atOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/23/2012Saturday was my 2nd time at Hota 1st time for Lunch and 2nd time a Saturday night. Both times the food and service was great. We really appreciated that they pleasantly pushed our reservations back when we needed them to do that. We will be back!Special Features:
- DissapointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/17/2012went there for father's day brunch. We ordered a sangria and it was terrible. Our small plates never came. Our entrees arrived missing one dish. We asked about our small plates, the runner left the food on the table and went to ask. Nobody came back to the table so after a few minutes, we decided to eat the entrees and forget about the small plates. After about 10 minutes our waiter came to ask how everything was. He didn't offer an explanation about our side dishes. We asked him about our missing entree and he just said "let me check". He came back about 5 minutes later with the missing plate. Again, no explanation and no apology. At least acknowledge your mistakes and offer an apology. Nobody is perfect.
- Dined for brunch on Father's DayBionda1VIPDined on 6/17/2012Delicious brunch and very friendly service! Well priced menu with something for everyone. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Good Food and Service OverallArt6288Dined on 6/16/2012The staff was very accommodating with our request for vegetarian alternatives to the fare. Our waittress was attentive without being intrusive. We were a little disappointed with the guacamole appetizer, which had plenty of tortilla chips but not enough guacamole, in our opinion. The seafood paella was delicious, but to describe it as a portion for two (as the menu did) was generous. We thought it was more appropriate for one person with a healthy appetite. Nevertheless, we think it's a fine restaurant and would return.Special Features:
- Quick lunch with a group...OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/15/2012We went after my daughter's graduation from NU... it was close to Ryan Field and we walked there just in time for our reservations. Once we arrived they had set up a nice table in a secluded area of the restaurant which was great as what we wanted was a little privacy to celebrate and talk among our group of 8 without all the other noise around us. We were also on a short time frame due to other graduation activities and they accommodated our request. We were in and out in 45 minutes... which was the exact time we need!Special Features:
- Their mix of flavors was outstandinOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/13/2012Their mix of flavors was outstanding. Server was friendly and helpful. Outside eating area is on the street but very pleasant. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- I really wished I enjoyed the food!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/10/2012We sat outside, and that was a nice addition. However, the food was very disappointing! I had the Tilapia entree and it was very, very bland. So bland that I inquired about the lemon-almond sauce it was noted to be cooked in. The server brought out more but it didn't change how awful it was. I only took 3 bites and was very unsatisfied. I ended up taking it home and even my cat wouldn't go try it. Trust me she isn't finicky either. The guacamole was pretty good. That was the best tasting part of the meal. I definitely will not go back! The Tilapia was definitely not worth $18. I didn't want to complain as I thought it could be perceived as "gauche", but am glad to share my experience here.
- Food was imaginative and veryJanmVIPDined on 6/10/2012Food was imaginative and very tasty, with distinct flavors that blended well. Felt very bad for the weight staff, appeared to be only one waiter who was hustling between inside and the outside patio. Will be going back and taking friends.Special Features:
- Wonderful small plates - themcleDined on 6/10/2012Wonderful small plates - the mini tilapia tacos and the mussels were outstanding; and the paella was the best I have ever had.Special Features:
- Three of the four of us lovedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/9/2012Three of the four of us loved the food. Fortunately, the two that really enjoyed everything were our out-of-town guests. The margaritas were dynamite. Unfortunately, my husband hated his Steak Asado; your two neighbors (in our party of four) are split 50/50 on Hota, I'm afraid, and the bad news is the the one who didn't like it is the one who pays the Visa bill.Special Features:
- We had great meals and theLakeside2LadyVIPDined on 6/9/2012We had great meals and the service was good until we asked for our check. It took at least 15 minutes after we asked that the bill came to our table. I noticed that there alot of people waiting for tables. This could have been handled much more efficiently. Otherwise it was a pleasant experience sitting outside and enjoying our delicious fish!Special Features:
- Seek our this neighborhood gemJanSusanDined on 6/8/2012This was a our first time there and we were treating our friends as a thank-you gift. We loved our waiter and his prompt and thorough service throughout our meal. The restaurant is beautiful and the entire wait staff was very friendly and attentive. And, oh, the food! Fresh and very flavorful. We ordered several small plates and each was beautiful in its' presentation and delicious. We highly recommend this restaurant and it was very-well priced for the food and the service.Special Features:
- This place is "over-the-top"OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/8/2012This place is "over-the-top" for service. Although we sat outside, the quiet street offered no distractions. The food was delivered in a timely manner to all 6 diners, and all selections were very good. Our waiter, from Brazil, was very helpful in describing his specialty drinks, which were adjusted to fit our tastes. We all plan to return.Special Features:
- the drinks were delicious,foodieVIPDined on 6/7/2012the drinks were delicious, the service was very good, but the paella was so mediocre. very disappointing. we will not be returning.
- Poor service spoils this spotOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/3/2012Good cocktails; very good food. Reasonable prices (except for the 2 scallops for $12 app). But the front of the house is such a mess that our experience was out next. Server said yes. 2 minutes later our entrees arrived! When we asked the runner where our small plates were, he looked confused, said he would check & left the entrees on the table. When we protested that they would get cold while we were waiting for our apps, he reluctantly removed them. VERY LONG wait for the apps. No explanation, no apology. BTW, we dined early & restaurant was well staffed & not crowded. Friendliness in servers is not enough. Chef, please get some supervision out front!
- Good looking crowd, nice noiseOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/2/2012Good looking crowd, nice noise level and interesting food selection. I thought the prices were quite reasonable.Special Features: